Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Look at the world now and think back when Trump was at the helm, which is worse? The Trump hatred on here is beyond ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭malinheader

I admit I was as critical about Trump as anyone.

But seeing how useless and uninterested our politicians are about the total recklessness on immigration and the consequences its going to have.

I see someone like Trump in this country is the only way that any proper action will be taken. Were a rudderless ship at the moment and heading for the rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

There are care homes closing every other week and the sector itself is a shambles. Yet some self entitled joker off the plane is given airtime on the rte news last night complaining about their accomodation.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We protected our own native Irish rapists for years because they wore a priests collar, came from "good families" or were otherwise pillars of the community. It was forbidden to speak out. It's just the same protectionism under a different guise to suit the current times.

I think you said it yourself that they were native rapists. But Why now run a massive risk of bringing more and god knows alot of other serious sick criminals into the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭creeper1

Deportations have got to go up in line with spurious claims going up.

Boils my blood knowing migrants are deliberately destroying their passport because they know fine well it's a safe country they are from and their claim would fail.

So far Ireland has been an incredible soft touch regarding deportations. In recent years a mere 10% of deportation orders were actually enforced. The justice minister needs to get on this and improve this woeful statistic.

And that, more than anything else, is why I resent paying my licence fee. By all means let RTE serve up skiploads of utter sh1te, but at least they should try to keep their news and current affairs offerings professional, relevant, objective and, above all, balanced. Instead we get a news agenda that appears to be run largely by shrill opposition politicians, bleeding heart quangos and whatever sectional interest group is howling the loudest at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Catherine Day, senior advisor to Roderic O Gorman is featured in today’s Indo giving out about the delay in ending direct provision. She says …”there isn’t a willingness to tackle it and the Ukrainians are now becoming an excuse, I think the sticking point is the fear among politicians that it would be seen to be taking houses away from Irish people, they have come out the other side of that and they have to say this is our future population and we have to build houses for everyone “

She goes on the interview to say that Ireland needs to start sowing the seeds earlier when looking for EU jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

She's a moron. An idiotic moron who has no idea what its like to be accountable for decisions. Typical of alot of these making decisions.

This will and already has taken houses from Irish citizens, which in a housing crisis is an issue.

Now maybe I'm being unfair, but she's either a moron, lazy, or willingly closing her eyes to the multiple issues with her plan.

If she's working for Todger O'Gorman - and being paid for her efforts by the Irish taxpayer - then I really hope that her massive EU pension is being abated.

• Advertisement

Ukrainians can go back once the war is over however I don't know about Georgians, Albanians, Nigerians and Algerians since there's no wars in these countries to begin with.

These are the future of Ireland? Did the Irish people approve that? Time for a real right wing government I think.

This useless shower need kicking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Ireland becoming a destination at ports too. We don't hear that many being caught in Rosslare these days

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭questioner22

They've basically admitted that their hands are tied. The country has been sold out completely.

All they are is a bunch of puppets carrying out orders of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,867 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This all started with yer man Peter Sutherland of Davos fame. He famously said that we are not doing enough to ensure multiculturism becomes the norm and we need to increase our population significantly and fast (paraphrasing). Then we got FG and his acolyte Simon Coveney and his acolyte Helen McEntee and the policy goes on.

I doubt if SF or FF will do anything to put Irish citizens first either. That is the problem. SF are placing themselves at the helm of the solution to the housing crisis, but have no intention of controlling non visa immigration and the associated housing supply issue. I do realise that International Protection is International Law, but there comes a time when countries have to say "look, we have done our bit over and above what was required, we are rather full now, so need to cap the numbers for a time" Revisiting the issue in time is totally reasonable, but the policy as it stands is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Russia will be a threat for as long as Putin or anyone of his mindset is around. Putin going may not be the end of the problem, even if it is it will be probably decades before Russia or a Russian leader can and will be trusted again.

what do we offer the Ukranian people ? We offer them security, social welfare every week, free healthcare, housing… MONEY… the average monthly salary is around 390 euros…14,014 Ukrainian hryvnia in the Ukraine… they get around double that here a month for NO work….that’s massive..I wouldn’t imagine much of that is going back into our local economy, it doesn’t need to…

it’s a no brainer… safety, security, free healthcare, free cash… a better climate…. Of the 65,000 or so here now, most will want to and try to stay… there will be many men and women involved in the war effort who will want to join them….to the point we will see a time another up shift in the numbers arriving….

The Irish people approved nothing, nor were they asked.. “ it’s happening, now suck it up “

supposed to be a democracy but the greatest challenge to our wellbeing for xx years , covid aside and ZERO consultation, consideration, thought or concern…. Zero democratic enablement of our wellbeing…

its basically no longer a democracy..government have no issues with Irish people having issues finding a roof to put over their heads.

The non Ukrainian people arrive in numbers because they see the help the Ukrainians got,

Post edited by Strumms on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Easy fix is stop gov funding if these services are needed let them fund like regular charities. That will gage the support for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Uncharted2

I agree with everything you've said. Michael Martin said on an interview a number of months ago that no checks where bring carried out at airports, so basically we've no idea who or what is entering Ireland.

We need to start actually enforcing the law on airlines. You need paperwork to board You need paperwork to leave. Start enforcing the fines and the airlines will quickly start checking people on departure of the aircraft. Anyone without documentation will have flushed it or whatever and gets a return flight on the airlines expense. There are rules IIRC.

Useless bunch of incompetent clowns! Airports are secure places with CCTV everywhere and all flights have passenger logs with passenger details including names and nationality.

If there's a chancer saying he's fleeing a war zone check the CCTV footage. What gate did he come out of? Get in contact with the airline and demand to know who this individual is.

Someone said earlier there was a previous policy of checking passports coming directly off the plane that was working. Restart this policy and photograph their freaking passports.

Your not a Refugee until proven so. At the point where they ditch the documents their An Illegal and should be treated as such. There are very few direct flights from places that need that status. I'm pretty sure in every country destroying documentation like passports is Illegal.

• Advertisement

I take your point but this IS an issue. They are destroying their passports and being allowed to pursue claims of asylum.

In just half a year 2300 odd rocked up without papers and claimed asylum as per this article.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2022/10/06/thousands-of-passengers-destroy-or-lose-passports-before-arrival-at-dublin-airport/

Coveney and O Gorman and the likes are a bigger threat to Ireland than covid, Global warming or putin.

Ireland will be destroyed long before any of these takes place.

2017, so 5 years ago.

They are total idiots.

They call what we're dealing with a 'housing crisis'. Reality is - it's planned. All of it is planned.

The fact that a pro-immigrant paper like IT publishes that now says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I lived around there a few years back. I remember at the time that City West hotel was officially a covid testing center, yet it was clearly also being used for "asylum seekers" as there was a large amount of Africans knocking around that weren't before. The state were essentially lying to the public at the time about the usage the hotel.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Uncharted2

35,000 houses are being built for them. Hotels, derelict building are also being fixed and refurnished. The government, local councillors, County Councils and hoteliers are making alot of money out of this. They don't care that it is destroying Ireland. This is under EU orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There were loads of eejits on threads given out about the Ukrainians being let in and then complaining about the quality of their accommodation (tents) and also against what they claimed was the racism insofar that asylum seekers were not getting the same as the Ukrainians.

After kicking up a stink on those threads, now that there appears to have been a bump in asylum seekers, the same posters appear on this thread giving out about them ............... yet only a few weeks or months ago they were calling for them to be all handed full dole as soon as they landed like the Ukrainians.

Ye should have a think and try to see a bit further than your noses lads. Calling for asylum seekers to be given more benefits one minute (when in reality all ye wanted was to stop the Ukrainians) and now decrying the lower benefits that asylum seekers actually get as being too generous. It makes ye look like tools to be now giving out about those benefits when ye were calling for them to be given more a few weeks ago.

To be fair, the poster never mentioned colour of skin. That seems to have been your assumption. He could have been as white as snow if all you were going on was the post. If you click on the link you see a fella with tanned legs. Could be a "brown" fella or a "white" fella with a suntan.

I think the pertinent point is that the rapist in question is not from here and had no permission to be here. Every country has criminals and rapists and every country has to deal with them. But that doesn't mean we have to deal with other countries' rapists and criminals for them.

Regardless of where you start, if you work yourself up to a position of being able to make decisions, you're not going to "working class" any more. So that is really a tautological argument.

It'd be a bit like complaining that the problem with billion-dollar multinational corporations is that the owners and CEOs are worth more than those on minimum wage.

• Advertisement

I still haven't forgiven Coveney for his failed Zappone stunt and I can't wait for my local FG canvassers to call to my door. Happily, O'Gorman is likely to end up in the Coolmine Recycling site after the next election.

Advertisement