Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Varadkar has admitted it's an issue. We are just totally toothless. It's pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

That was from 2019.

If only we had 400 Georgians like that year.

So far this year it’s 2500 georgians.

This whole episode in 2022 is destroying most aspects of our society in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The problem in Ireland is most of the people making decisions are not working class people.

They are in most cases privileged people who have barely worked a day in their life who have no idea the struggle most people are facing to find a house or feed and heat themselves.

They are overseeing sectors of the country where they have no experience in.

Why are we not getting in experts in their fields with experience to oversee departments?

An honest question because I googled but I can't find anything in the work history of our minister for justice that makes her qualified for her role.

What exactly qualifications has she got for the job or are we allowing someone who has no qualifications or experience to be in a role of such importance.

This person is making decisions that is ruining the country.

Why have we not got an expert for such an important role in the country?

Helen's very first job as Minister for Justice was to select keen golfer Seamus "Jimmy" Woulfe for appointment to the Supreme Court. I understand that before choosing him she consulted a fortune seller and prayed to Saint Jude - but she definitely didn't ask Leo Varadkar whom she should nominate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭malinheader

Because jobs for the boys or the girls as usual . You don't need experience or qualifications to be a member of our government. As long as you can answer a question but not really answer question when being interviewed and take orders from Brussels no matter how bad it affects your country and have no consience about claiming expenses and ludicrous salaries you will be more than suitable for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Pat Kenny making very valid points about the numbers arriving with no valid papers without which they couldn’t have got on the plane. He couldn’t get an answer from his very PC panel who were afraid to state the obvious that passports were being destroyed on board. Ivana Backis last comment was that Irish people were given support in different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

Pat Kenny just asked the question again (last segment of his newstalk show today), why so many people are getting on planes in places like London with full documentation, and the arriving in Dublin with no documentation and claiming asylum. No one would answer the question. Ivana Bacik seemed offended by the question itself, e.g. unfair to hardships refugees are suffering, and its undermining Irelands international legal obligations. etc

Its an interesting question.

Anyone who actually cared about "refugees" would know that economic migrants are taking up spaces and resources that could be used for refugees.

I admire economic migrants for making such an effort to improve their situation, however, they have no entitlement stay in a country based on false asylum claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I saw a good post on Twitter yesterday, where someone said that Ireland is still the land of fairy tales, but not mythical ones anymore, more so fairy tales about the organisation of our society. A society that's completly governed by false hoods, which leads to the false hope that many live with, that it will all ok in the end when it won't.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

How terribly ungallant of Pat to ask Iwanna a hard question! Party Leaderettes don't go onto the PK show for that kind of thing. He should have left her rabbiting on about banning evictions and energy costs, and how utterly awful the current gubbernment is and how Labour, under her inspirational leadership, are going to win 8 whole seats in the next General election!

Who else was on the panel, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

They could even be terrorists. It's an unforgivable security lapse. When ISIS were running around they would have exploited this.

Even though Pat Kenny asked some good questions I wouldn't even count it as grilling. The central-left politicians in Ireland are very soft, they are not used to be being challenged directly with the hard questions at all. They are only used to arguing the other way, and talking about how generous they are, how open they are.

• Advertisement

I don't know how it's done in other countries but surely these people should have a certain amount of work experience.

How can people go from college to these positions with little to no work experience.

You only learn by going into a job in the real world.

People would be protesting on the streets if they knew this.

The problem is most people have no idea that it is happening.

They will only realise when it's too late and the country is ruined.

So really, and give me a warning or a ban if I'm wrong for stating an untruth but realistically people arriving into this country could be rapists, pedophiles, murderers or even terrorists.

If you have no paperwork or identification who knows or how can anyone tell.

About time alot of people woke up. Some People have been highlighting this for a long time on here and some even received bans for suggesting such.

I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 captain dildano

Yep. There was the case earlier this year of an African lad who had been released from prison after serving sentences for rape. He'd destroyed his documents before he came here so couldn't be deported. He was spotted wandering around Dublin a few months later. A serial rapist with no ID and no history was allowed to roam around despite a deportation order as nobody checked if he was still here or not. I think it was the Journal who ran the story. Not sure if he's been deported yet. Believe it or not when a deportation order is served the person is supposed to deport themselves, nobody checks if they have.

Not this lad? I believe one of the arguments for not deporting him was that he was playing soccer for Waterford United, unless I'm mixing him up with another case..

https://www.thejournal.ie/court-asylum-seeker-rape-2633638-Feb2016/

No, a different guy. They didn't know that lad had left the country either though. A person's race and skin colour should have no bearing on their prison sentence. The guy raped someone, how hard or easy his time serving would be shouldn't matter a damn. An Irish man wouldn't get a soft sentence for a rape in Africa.

This Eritrean rapist had is visa renewed as his country isn't safe for him.

He's not the only one, a quick google of asylum seeking rapists in Ireland throws up a lot. The worst I've seen was the guy employed in a nursing home who raped a dementia patient. He was here illegally. Probably still is. Obviously most asylum seekers are not criminals, but it's worrying how many are rapists.

Colour of skin shouldn't come into this argument. A rapist is a rapist, a pedophile is a pedophile and so on. Jesus christ almighty do we have to produce the victims before this stupid excuse of a government cops itself on.

There are plenty to produce, it didn't stop them announcing another amnesty that would include asylum seekers with criminal convictions here.

You can see how some people eventually turn to more extreme politics, when the mainstream politicians refuse to answer basic questions like that. Straight-forward basically pretend that plain-old Pat Kenny hadn't even asked them that harmless specific question.

This isn't new: Hillary Clinton: Europe must curb immigration to stop rightwing populists | Hillary Clinton | The Guardian

i dont support Hillary’s arguement reducing immigration - as it’s such a broad statement. My point is that economic migrants with no identification posing as “refugees” should not be given refugee status.

Post edited by donaghs on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Everything IS overseen by 'experts' with experience. That's how we got here, the government has wholesale abdicated all responsibility for every single damn thing to the 'expert' QUANGO's NGO's and consultants to tell them what to think (usually while waiting for Europe to confirm what they think).

What we actually need is a politician that considers what's best for the the Irish people first and foremost, rather then relying on a bunch of 'experts' who's whole expertise seems to involve ensuring that the problems they are employed to consult on are never fixed and the expert consultant gravy train keeps on rolling for them.

Shure isn't that what our illustrious President Mick Diddle-dee-dee Higginz is doing? And he's so good at it that we elected him twice!

Anyway folks, we've gotten away from the thread title. It's an important subject and I think it's become very obvious that we simply can't provide suitable accommodation for anymore refugees or asylum seekers. We are simply full. We could fill every hotel, every B&B and every village hall and there will still be those saying that we could and should do more. We've done all that it's practical to do and it's time for everyone's sake to be honest about that and stop encouraging people to come here.

Many many people from Ukraine have been in safe countries and they've heard that financially things are much better in Ireland than anywhere else in the world. Understandably they want to come to a country that has a no questions asked policy that gives them full entitlement to everything as soon as the arrive. It's human nature but it's time stop it now, for everyone's sake.

If they have no paperwork, how can they prove they’re Ukrainian? Asylum seekers are treated much differently.

what are you on about? There no mention of Ukraine or Ukrainians in the post. It’s about destroying documents to hide your true identity. Which would not be necessary for a Ukrainian to stay in Ireland, given the war in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Wonder how this will end, will the government eventually wake up? or will they pack every hotel in the country until they're full?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I don't think we need to ask that question. Or at least its a rhetorical question ?

We need something similar like Denmark, where mainstream politicians can calmly admit the asylum system is being abused and take some practical measures to fix it.

Its not stopping immigration, just regulation which most people want.

If mainstream politicians refuse to engage with the issues, or as with Pat Kenny’s question about destruction of documents this morning, literally pretend that they didn’t hear the question, it’s could eventually open the door to something like a Trump figure, or even worse.

• Advertisement

Not a hope; the quango bunnies and the human rights maggots would have a canary! (And bear in mind that the current government includes Green Party TDs from both organisations.)

Advertisement