Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solve the housing problem easily...some solutions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

There are no easy solutions to the housing problem. After 2008 when the govt didnt have a pot to piss in they went all in on US funds. These have since monopolized the market , buying all available property, initially in the fire sales then on the open market. Now they are financing many new developments and have gained a complete stranglehold on all aspects of the market . It would take a complete volte face on behalf of government to change this but there is no stomach for that while FDI is throwing in massive budget surpluses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You need to combine it with incentives for developers.

Make building a worthwhile business again.

Developers became a pariah after the crash.

But they are a very important part of the whole housing industry.

They can't just be frozen out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I think a distinction needs to be made between the housing crisis and home ownership issues. A lot of the solutions being suggested here might make it easier for FTBs to purchase a home (e.g. easing lending rules, restrictions on foreign investment funds) but some of those will be at the expense of renters and there is also a severe rental crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Build dirt cheap temporary housing for people with no jobs. Make them very small and as basic as possible.

Give the actual bricks and mortar houses to people who have an income.

Maybe even consider bringing back the corpo housing model, where most ordinary folk got a corporation house and only wealthy people actually bought or built their own homes. But again, prioritise those with an income who are contributing to society.

I think any decent nation should try to put a roof over all of it's citizens heads, to keep them warm and dry in winter. But why should a long term unemployed person be getting an actual bricks and mortar house - that cost a significant amount to build - for free? Give them a nice little shack/shed with a roof that doesn't leak and they'll get by just fine. (works okay for poor people in other nations, should work fine here too)

I'm sure they probably laugh at us in developing nations, when they hear we give out free houses worth 200k etc to anyone who can't get a job. It's bananas! (And I've got nothing against unemployed people btw)

• Advertisement

Why should someone be rewarded for not having a job, by handing them one of the most valuable assets most of us will ever own for free?

And why should employed people be punished for having a job? Doesn't make logical sense.

You can't keep giving away something valuable for free, and expect there to be no long term consequences. We're now seeing those consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Design a basic mobile home , energy effecient sustainable,with solar panels on it, good insulation, with fold up,down beds, suitable for 1 or 2 people ,i know 2 people who live in mobile homes,large with sat tv, power,water in a park .cost around 30k.give tax breaks to companys, that build and maintain parks.trailer parks can be designed to be good value, easy to heat, in area,s close to power and water.broadband avaidable the government owns land all over the country.maybe using recycled wood ,metal,plastic .

Simplify the complex regulations, re living over a shop, to make it attractive to landlords .eg does every 3rd floor flat needs to be acessable by wheelchair users more tax credits for over the shop flats

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

re air bnb, i dont think there would be a market for that (or substantially reduced) if landlords could evict non paying tenant.

think someone mentioned graveyards. bury vertically rather than horizontally would reduce the land requirement there.

loads of good suggestions here, its a wonder the government dont try to implement some of them.

i guess its a myriad of problems, both on the supply and demand side of things.

are they addressing either side of that equation?

A geographically central location. Athlone? Motorways to each city , no limit autobahn types or limits of something that would make the furthest city connection an hour away.

But,this sort of thinking is out of date with working from home. Cities are less important.

We really have to stop and ask why we are in this situation in the first place. How was a poorer and more economically backward ireland, in the past, able to do better when it came to accommodation costs

The elephant in the room....without which there would be less than replacement levels of population. We would only be building to replace buildings that needed demolition

Offer proper social housing once. If the applicant refuses, remove them from the waiting list and direct them to a park bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i think there can be proper social housing if the government adopt the pretty reasonable policy of, take a home where its given, else to the back of the queue.

all these ghost estates down the country...make them not ghost estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Most of the ghost estates have either been knocked or completely restored. Only a relatively small number remain as ghost estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

What's going to happen is mass housing of the European kind. We don't really have the room to expand Dublin endlessly and it won't be long before you see 16 story tower blocks in every city. As long as they are not Grenfell death traps and the fire service get high level fire fighting vehicles, it should be okay. Of course, the fly in the ointment is that the most efficient way to heat tower blocks is with gas and the Greens won't tolerate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

How much have building costs increased since the last boom?

Most houses built were a C BER rating at best, no fancy heat pumps, 5 inches of kingspan, only a a few had underfloor.

Couple that with material shortages and wage inflation due to lack of people in trades and it's easy to see where an extra 50k could land on the price of a standard house.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Build up not out.

That should apply to the construction of housing also.

I don't disagree with you about mass migration - it was always going to end in disaster.

We had plenty of examples elsewhere to give us enough forewarning about the road we were going down. But certain obstinate people ignored those big flashing neon warning signs, and plowed on regardless.

I mentioned the old corporation model, just as an outline starting point.

There needs to be a social contract between the people and the government... you get cheap housing, but you get it in return for contributing to society. This model of handing out free houses to the chronically work shy, needs to be stopped. It's completely unsustainable in the long run, regardless of whether we have high migration or not.

If you don't fancy contributing to society, you should be made to live like most poor people live in most parts of the world. I would be very confident, that given this choice MOST citizens would agree to this contract and play their part.

I agree I don't want to see third world conditions either, but if we structured this system in an intelligent manner I really don't think many people would choose to live in squalor when given a viable alternative. It would not be a difficult contract to uphold. But of course you will always get a minority of people who will choose squalor over rolling their sleeves up a bit. But we already have these people anyway, regardless of how many free things we give them. Every nation has them, and to a certain degree it's unavoidable. But they would account for a very small fraction of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I think this silly way of thinking is part of the problem, nobody said anything about living in rubbish dumps. The poster was talking about relaxing the regulations, as its an actual crisis we should be taking the mobile homes or cheaper housing options more seriously. We should be doing this, Building up and gradually cutting immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

The pace at which local authorities give zoning approval to land for residential use is ridiculously slow and needs to be reformed. I know of an area of land that was a small farm taken into the area of Cork city when it expanded its boundary three years ago and the area right next to a city bus stop and 30minutes walk from the city centre is still not zoned for development. The owners have been eager to sell it for housing for decades now but estate agents are only interested in selling it as agriculture land as this is what it is zoned as, or give it away for slightly more to allow some of their friends have it as a long term investment to make big money for them at some point in the future when it eventually gets built on. The owners approaches to the local authorities to allow them sell the land for residential use have been rejected and repeatedly fobbed off and it is only established developers seem to be able to work the system to get developments started on neighbouring sites. The local authorities should be identifying these types of sites and helping the owners get them developed.

The number of derelict and underused buildings is very high and could also do with a process to help bring them into use. All local authorities should be required to identify all of the non used buildings in their administrative area and make estimates of how much it would cost to bring these buildings up to current basic standards for residential use. While they are at it the costs of servicing all vacant sites in urban areas should be looked at. If no development for residential or commercial use seems viable then assistance should be given by the local authority so it at least has some amenity use as a park or planted up in a way to improve the surrounding urban areas environmental quality. Sites and buildings where the ownership is unclear need to be brought into use and the land registry and existing repossession laws should be used by the local authorities to clear the way for these sites and buildings to be developed. The most efficiently finished and fastest sites and buildings to get into residential use should be dealt with first and the owners told to put them on the open market as development sites or get financial assistance options to bring the property up to standard to be occupied by a tenant or tenants. The rent for the fist few years could be channeled to repay the refurbishment and development costs and when these are refunded to the state the property stays as the property of the original owners to do with what they would like. The rent from the first few occupied properties would help fund the next round of developments under the scheme.

Improvements and promotion of the apprenticeship schemes to increase the numbers qualified in building trades to get this work done more rapidly.

Some building regulations have become law in parts of the country that obstruct people building a home that simply should not be there and these regulations need to be looked at to see which ones can be removed. I'm not saying have a free for all that anyone can build a house anywhere but the locals only regulations in many rural areas are pure discrimination based on where someone is born and should not be permitted under EU regulations on the free movement of EU citizens. I know some people think one off housing would destroy the country but if someone has the money to do this well and develops a home to fit into their environment these could be a valuable asset in rural areas becoming more economically vibrant and better places to live.

I find it appalling that our politicians and mandarins are driving this country to be a country of renters, at the mercy of corporate landlords and living from rent check to rent check

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

not irish but interesting read. 2877 airbnbs listed , 62 home listed for private rental. its a very easy win to clamp down further on airbnb. "its killing the economy aswell as the community"

• Advertisement

I'm not against high rise buildings but I like the idea of them being zoned together so there is maybe certain designated parts of cities where high rise could be clustered.

We don't have a large population density compared to other EU countries so we should be able to build moderately higher buildings without the need to replicate New York or Hong Kong or places like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

There's more than money at play with Airbnb.

Like here, some property owners will put up with the constant cleaning and presentation for airbnb because it means they have full control over their property. People who stay are likely well reviewed from previous airbnbs, pay ahead of time and in full, they stay for preset periods and that's that. No risk of bad tenant, no risk of overholding, no risk of no payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Speak freely on your plan to deal with the population growth problem, be thorough. Not everyone will sweep it under the carpet, the presumption it will be stops it from becoming a real debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,767 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

High rises are not a solution to accommodation problems unless you literally have almost no land, which is not the case with Ireland. An apartment costs more to build per square metre than a house. There is no economy of scale when building vertically, it just costs more because of the extensive subterranian foundations required and the considerable cost of safety sytems and standards that need to be met.

I't purely a planning and political problem. Enable more land to be built on and stop anyone other than individuals from building on it or from buying houses built on it. Part of the problem is this developer led house building model Ireland is so fond of. In Australia, it's extremely common for an individual to buy a block of land, get hold of a plan anf then get an independent builder to build the house on it after getting quotes. This is a cheaper system as the margins are lower because there is competition. Large scale developers charge large scale margins and drive up costs as they also reduce competitiion and can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

airbnb will continue to exacerbate the housing crisis. stiffer regulation is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

In South Central France (or anywhere in France really bar near the coast or in /very close to a major city) a new turn key 80m2 ,3bed, with a generous garden, complying with their 2020 building regulations...is..roughly ...and I'm not sugar coating this..120k.

Look at the equivalent in Ireland ...300k for somewhere in Tipperary (roughly geographically similar).

There is something amiss there.

What is it?....🤔

Can anyone guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

The cost to build (June 2022 ) according to several industry sources is 2200/2500 /m2. 80m2x 2200 is 176,000. With a final price tag of circa 300k. That's for a 'one off' house.

In France with the price being 120k subtract some costs...site 7,500 ,built in profit of 10% 12k..leaves you with cost of building of 100,000. According to some sources the build cost in france is anywhere from 500 to 1500 /m2. Let's take the middle ground of 1000 /m2...that's less than half the Irish cost of 2350 /m2.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Give me an immigrant who works his/her ass off every day (whether highly paid/on minimum wage) over an entitled Irish sponger who has no ambition beyond watching their ticket on the waiting, any day of the week.

They will add far more to the fabric of our society than someone who not only wants something for nothing, but feels entitled to it. Safe in the knowledge that we are a country and society who will reward them for having lots of children yet do nothing to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

High rise is a superb solution, I could name at least 50 cities where it has been a good idea. Personally I'm disgusted that Dublin isn't building up at a fast rate as cheap land close to where the jobs are doesn't exist in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

New 80 sqm 3-bedroom apts in French towns for 120k?

Can you please name the towns, or even better, provide links to apts for sale?

Advertisement