Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland is now Catholic Majority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

The Germans payed what 2 trillion for reunification where did the EU pay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Scottish IndyRef in 2014 got 45% and the issue has remained on the agenda, looks like there's going to be another one next year. Seems highly likely to me something similar would happen if the border poll was defeated by such a margin, especially with the inexorable rise of the CNR population making a rise in support for Irish unity a virtual certainty in a way that doesn't apply in the cases you cite.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The unification process would likely take years….

what happens to policing ? The PSNI to be merged into The Gardai or a IPS ( Irish police service ) formed….?

id imagine a LOT of violence in the years between vote and transfer of power….

• Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Indyfref2 is right now a figment of the SNPs imagination.

Westminster are dead set about not allowing another one for the simple reason that 2014 was so recent.

What is the "CNR population" ?

• Advertisement

When you know SFA about something, it's generally advisable to refrain from publicising your ignorance!

"Northern Ireland has 'lost control' of hospital waiting lists (BBC website)

Northern Ireland hospital waiting lists still growing, new figures show Hospital waiting lists in Northern Ireland, already the worst in the UK and amongst the worst in Europe, continue to worsen as the crisis facing the health service deepens. (Belfast Telegraph)

New research into Northern Ireland’s hospital waiting lists has highlighted a “lack of clarity” over how money is to be spent tackling the crisis. The most recent figures released in June 2021 show 184,000 people in Northern Ireland were waiting more than a year for a first hospital outpatient appointment.

A further 66,000 patients were waiting more than a year for surgery or another form of treatment in hospital, while 48,000 were waiting more than six months for a hospital appointment after being referred by their doctor for further tests. The waiting lists are the worst in the UK. (BT)

The size of Northern Ireland's hospital waiting lists is "undermining" the principle of a free health service, Health Minister Robin Swann has said. Figures published on Thursday showed more than 335,000 people are waiting for a first consultant-led appointment. More than half of those people - 189,753 - have been waiting longer than a year. (BBC)"

And so on!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The EU is deeply involved in the GFA and stability in NI. They are (obviously) not going to make any statements about what they would do in a united Ireland scenario, but they will be invested in its success.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Dickie10

wont happen i think, Loyalists will make sure there is a proper civil war like the one feared in 1970, with the war fought in southern areas and borderlands. people of the south wont vote for a united ireland if they get a taste of troubles circa 1980s/early 90s in Dublin/kildare/meath/cork city /galway city etc.

i dont even think theres any great love between catholics in the republic and in the north , a lot of distrust and suspison i always found with people from tyrone and armagh, always felt they had a chip on thier shoulder and animosty between certain places. I remeber the gardai confiscting a Palestine flag off a tyrone fan in a match in Navan in 2018, to great cheers from the natives. same after the match young meath fans giving abuse to tyrone fans for having palestine flags with them. Maybe that why Meath are nicknamed the Royals! definitley wasnt much love in that evening to our northern nationalists.

• Advertisement

That may be on the outside. But EU wide relations were at steak with Brexit. There is no unification happening no fund to draw down on. So we have gone from support to well the EU won't make a statement. As I have asked is there anything in Eu laws relating to a new country of Ireland. Again it's not a unification situation. Ireland has given away any claims to the North. I'm an outsider looking in. I asked what EU fund supported the Germans in their 2 trillion bailout of the country. No one seemed to want to answer that.

Ireland would not be a "new" country, it would be an expanded country. This is how Germany was treated and the same would apply. There is zero risk that this would not happen.

Of course the EU won't make a statement - why on earth would they? No one is going to make a statement (except SF) until such time as a border poll is likely as it would be seen as interfering in the affairs of a foreign government.

East Germany still receives European Regional Development funding to this day.

But yes, ultimately I also don't think there is any chance of a UI in the next 20 years.

So Germany did not get a bail out they paid the 2 trillion themselves. What are you going to call NI joining the Republic ? It's not unification as one country is not part of the Republic. Are you suggesting everything from the North just gets magically absorbed ? Germans being Germans would have had plans for decades. There is no talk here at all. And the fund you mention can be drawn down by anyone there is no Ireland fund.

No, you’re right. I know SFA about either

I live between both countries and have had reason to use both. I also have close relatives using both health services.

if I ever get seriously I’ll, I know which system I would rather treat me.

Suit yourself, but Ireland's health outcomes are better for many illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Pretty interesting that 20% see themselves as northern Irish only.

So many on both sides see themselves and Irish or British based on their daddy's daddy and so on.

I had always wondered what if Northern Ireland just became its own state and neither part of roi or Britain.

I also wonder what would happen if immigration happened at the rate of the south. Makes you think. Immigrants don't care for history but so much of the problems in the North is due to history.

All in all NI is messed up through no one's fault other than the brits who planted 400 odd years ago. You can't blame the unionists for their beliefs that they are British because their history for the last 400 years is that.

That doesn't even begin to make sense. If you have a stroke or heart attack in Ireland you are more likely to survive than in the UK, never mind in NI.

Neither the HSE or the NHS is close to perfect, but there is little enough reason to call one better than the other.

There is, however, a perception that the NHS is far better and that is one of many things that will need to be addressed in any border campaign.

Anyway im out.

This is why you never get many foreigners impute on this subject. I never Post in stuff like this because it's just a roundabout. I understand its an Emotive subject I have no issue with a united Ireland. But there is a lack of thought and assuming the EU will take over the British subversion.

I just implore anyone who is going to vote on this go in with open eyes. Germany keeps being brought up have asked how that applies to the new nation of Ireland. Germany paid for it it's self. No one has posted a convincing argument how new Ireland will be accepted into the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Now in September 2022, a majority in NI consider themselves Irish only.

The census we are quoting took place 18 months ago.

The figure for "British only" was 40% in 2011.

Therefore, the trajectory is comfortably in the "Irish only" camp in September 2022. Probably by 1% on those figures alone.

Together with that is how Brexit and the Protocol were handled by the DUP and Tories in the last 18 months to which will almost certainly add to the "Irish only" camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭vegandinner

Tell me more about this “new” nation of ireland? How many counties will be in the “new” province of ulster?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

realistically the loyalists won't be able to do very much if anything, the PSNI and gardai will be able to manage them very well and they won't have any of the supports in place that allowed them to operate as they did during the troubles.

there is probably more of a risk of violence in a yes vote in NI but no vote in ROI situation, in my personal view.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What's interesting is why that "Northern Irish only" number has gone down about 1% in 10 years.

We constantly hear about this group of mainly young "post peace process" people who have grown up without violence who will end up voting Alliance and have no time for the past.

But it seems they don't exist.

Between 2011 and 2021 you should have had swathes of people joining this cohort as they grow into adulthood and decide their own identity.

But instead they seem to have joined the "British and Northern Irish", "Irish only" or "Irish and Northern Irish' groups.

The "Northern Irish only" tend to be soft unionists so it will be interesting to see what part they play in the whole thing in decades to come, but the fact that their number have not increased is another dagger for overall unionism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭lmao10

Unification will definitely happen but it's probably 50-100 years away.

I don't know how the Unionists thought that Brexit was a good idea. That made eventual unification a certainty and I think No.10 knew that very well. I don't think the UK even really wants NI at this point. It's costing the UK money for quite some time now. They have invested a lot into it but it's a loss maker long term. I'd be happy to let it go if I was in charge of UK policies.

More important than that the overwelming majority won't be motivated to 'resist'. Loyalists have been conditioned so long to see a majority in NI as a legitimate democratic unit that when that majority goes against they won't be able to justify to themselves using force against the will of that majority. I've quoted this before but I think this Jimmy Carr line encapsulates how the vast majority of the PUL community will deal with the new situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

exactly, and even if they did resist they wouldn't gain anything anyway so it would all be for nothing.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,253 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would always have taught we should have solved the problem 40-50 years ago. Both the British and Irish government's should have dug a trench along the border and pushed the whole place up towards Iceland.

I know it would be unfair on Iceland, but hopefully most of the f@@kers up there would freeze became a problem there.

Slava Ukrainii

It’s not roundabout you just clearly don’t understand it. There is nothing to accept into the EU - Ireland will simply remain a member. There is nothing more complicated to it.

Nor does anyone think the EU will take over the subvention. You have taken a comment about the EU helping and gone wild with it.

Plurality

Even at this rate of increase it is decades off a majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭slay55

Advertisement