Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

The GP policies in relation to its 2020 manifesto,simply aren't being implemented.....what is being implemented are what's allowed by ffg..... they even rolled over on turf cutting,which was dying out anyway

A central tenant of their manifesto,which was adopted compromised into the pfg,was the decriminalisation of cannabis,we are years into this government and they still haven't launched a citizens assembly,always some excuse to push it out.....they had several policies around UBI etc,which weren't allowed,instead ffg allowed em in as a lame duck party to implement punitive taxes on private people to avoid taxing large corporations correctly

This is a flavour of what ffg haven't allowed into the pfg

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0125/1110908-greens-manifesto/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Murphy is an opportunist. While not a great quality, he could be open to compromise.

FG voters are leaving in droves. While compromise formed a somewhat stable government, was it any good? The majority of voters seem to float. Now that FF/FG are essentially one, we've many voters wondering where to go, if unhappy with government. SF are the only viable alternative currently. Any remaining 'better the devil you know' voters don't have FG or FF to go back and forth from if unimpressed with Government this time.

10 years ago the idea of FF and FG in a coalition would have been laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

It funny no matter what thread on boards, twitter and every other social media we have SF supporters pushing the FF/FG are one party.

Clearly that is not true plus FG voters are not leaving in their droves. The swing voters are but then again Leo is Taoiseach in a few weeks, if he is seen to resolve the housing crisis and get out of the Ukraine war the votes will swing back.

SF claim to be a viable alternative yet their performance in local government is awful, in the North absolutely terrible. But we kept getting told by SF you can't judge them on it.

Who knows, what happens in next election if the revolt vote says they will only vote for Independents? could make it very interesting then.

10 years ago nobody would say Ireland would shut down for nearly 2 years. So not sure why that's relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They’ll have a good idea whether they’re going to end up with 10 or 20 seats from three months out. There aren’t that many surprises.

Ask SF, they made sure they wouldn’t get into government last time round.

In terms of forming a government, I found this interesting. For all the talk of opinion polls we are 2 years out from an election. If we look at 2 years out from the last election

Plus in terms of FF joining SF. I don't think so and below is an excellent article as some people suggested that FF would have gone into coalition with SF in 2020

A few TD's misread the room and thought FF supporters wanted to hear about a coalition, that was shut down from my conversations with FF supporters. That is not something anyone on the ground wants.

“We gave the party leader licence to speak to whoever he needs to speak to, with the exception of Sinn Féin,” Niall Collins, a senior Fianna Fáil politician, said as he left a party meeting, adding that it was fully behind that position.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/13/sinn-fein-asks-fianna-fail-to-discuss-forming-irish-government

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

PRSTV can leave it fairly unclear until the votes are counted. They definitely do not have a good idea three months out.

Not sure what SF's hypocrisy has to do with the Green Party either.

I don't see how on earth you think a party could have anything close to a detailed idea of their negotiation without knowing how many TDs they will have or who they will be negotiating with. It is unreasonable to expect that to be laid out in advance and you are just setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect it.

Post edited by Podge_irl on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It was Mary Harney who once said that a day in government beats a year in opposition. For all the claims of SF's long game strategy and their influence, it is certainly 100% clear that Mary Harney has achieved more in government than the whole of the SF party.

The biggest problem with SF's strategy is that nobody wants to talk to them. An overall majority is beyond them. With a government coming out of a Covid crisis and into an inflation crisis, neither of them of their making, tipping unpopularity levels never seen before, SF are still only getting to 36%. Those gains have come against the smaller parties, not against FF or FG.

FG had 20.9% in the 2020 general election, and despite everything that has happened are within the margin of error of that figure in nearly every poll this year. The idea, as put forward by some posters, that supporters are leaving FG in droves, simply isn't factually correct.

The biggest problem for SF is that there is a huge credibility gap for them. Even if they managed to get to 50 seats, they can't turn around after the next election and go into coalition with FF or FG, because they have spent a decade shouting at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,141 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

But they are going to be asked and the scrutiny on what FF particularly are going to do will be intense

That's a frankly nonsensical conclusion...FG and FF spent the best part of 100 years 'shouting at one another' didn't stop them coalescing when it was necessary.

A more realistic view of politics and how it works might be appropriate. I think that SF have stayed out of a government where they will be a junior partner and treated as junior partner for obvious reasons.

That would be smart politics IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As you point out, it took 100 years for FG and FF to consider coalescing. Expecting either to do business with SF after the next election is wildly optimistic in that context, given the way that SF are shouting at them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes they are going to be asked, but its a stupid question with no good answer.

Funny. 😁 As I said, not how things work in the realpolitick world of Irish politics.

FF were telling the electorate that they would never coalesce with FG a few wet months before the last election. FG were telling the electorate that putting MM in charge would be like letting Delaney run the FAI agai...a few wet months later...what did they do?

That is how politics works here, I expect it to be no different after the next GE.

Well it is isn't in the sense that you can read between the lines. Will FF close the door emphatically...I don't think they will. In fact, if SF continue in the polls as they are trending now, I expect that door to be gaping wide open.

And it will be left wide open because they know the Irish electorate will be able to see another way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭RoTelly

If you think that the Greens will go in Spring Next year, you should just say Spring 2024, The Greens are slow to move to bring down a government and do it far too late.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

You mean at the end of 12 years she bankrupted the country?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

Sinn Fein only didnt get in last time because they didn't put up enough candidates they're going to landslide the next election if we look after them we'll be sorted out once they get in housing education health bins we'll be well taken care off.

It's stuff like this that makes me laugh. We've already seen SF shift to more moderate positions over the last 2 years as they've realised that they now stand a real chance of getting into power. As a result they're makey-upey economics and other policy proposals have to become more realistic.

We've seen them get behind every single environmental policy proposal as well. Well, when they choose to speak up about the environment and actually take a position.

As for health, education etc, again reality is starting to sink in as they realise there's a limited pot of money so "fixing" health is not a realistic prospect. Indeed health can't be fixed anyway but that's for another thread.

There's going to be a heck of a lot of bubbles burst among SF supporters when they see them continue with the standard Corp tax rate, not bring in a wealth tax, and so on.

@[Deleted User]

There's going to be a heck of a lot of bubbles burst among SF supporters when they see them continue with the standard Corp tax rate, not bring in a wealth tax, and so on.

So why would either FG or FF supports fear voting SF so? I think FG and FF voters should go with SF to show that nothing will change even under an SF government. :)

______

Yesterday

There'll be some who will shift their vote, there'll be some who won't, such is the nature of elections.

Mostly because they haven't a clue and if you watch their performance in Northern Ireland they could do a lot of damage in a very short time.

Voters moving to Sinn Fein reminds me of the "Thrash of the Titans" Simpson episode.

• Advertisement

I am just curious about what damage that the NI executive caused in the North? Half the cabinet seats are not made up of SF Ministers. Can you specifically show were a SF minister did something wrong and where non-SF members of that cabinet where able to abacate their responsibly when something did go wrong.

BTW I am not a SF voter, but I imagine a string of problems that SF have caused in the north on their own! I suppose I have to say in the last decade or last 15 years.

______

Yesterday

The question which might be more relevant is what have Sinn Fein achieved in 24 years since the GFA?

I asked a Sinn Fein supporter on here once, a very proud supporter, the answer I got was the parades committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

No fan of SF but I'd be reluctant to use the Northern Ireland assembly as proof of anything. That place is liked a jumped up county council with a shotgun coalition where practically everyone is in power. Everyone knows the real power is in London and that fact undermines it from the get go.

The truth is that we won't know what SF are going to be like in government, in Dublin, until they actually get into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I am not a SF supporter. I am rarely on twitter.

FF and FG are in coalition so are acting as one unit. Also they are backing up each others inappropriate behaviour. IMO they are indistinguishable. You are free to disagree. I don't know who is a floating voter or a FG'er, all I know is they are losing votes in droves.

SF aren't the cure all. FF/FG created and make the crises worse.

Because anything can happen. Thats literally the point. I think FF will be split between those looking to get away from FG and those not wanting to rock the boat.

If FF decide to run with FG it will damage them greatly.

I suppose the more relevant question is what have FG/FF/LP achieved in the last 24 years since the GFA? I assume they've each, at the very least, have candidates running for a seat in Stormont or are they still fighting over which one of them is represented by the SDLP.

Your basically trying to suggest SF have done nothing in the last 24 years while in cabinet in the North, and are unwilling to say what they should be doing or what damage they have caused since the last 24 years.

Your argument is just circular. As I say I amn't going to go of and find out all the good things that SF have done in the last 24 because I don't care about them enough, but I won't be saying they did nothing either.

______

Yesterday

Neither am I, that's why I asked a SF supporter and they said the parade commissioner and nothing else. I would expect if they did something else the SF supporter would have told me.

So based on that one interaction SF have not do anything over the last 25 years!

But we should all agree, even though we don't know " if you watch their performance in Northern Ireland they could do a lot of damage in a very short time.!"

______

Yesterday

As I said, I was struggling to find anything. I asked a SF supporter who spend day & night on here signing their praises and that was the response.

As per my post above, we are still 2 years? from an election. Based on 2018 the opinion polls had FG running home with the election.

A lot of time to go yet before handing over the Taoiseach to SF. They had a chance to go after the government but totally missed it when they called the vote of no confidence, wrong time and got ass handed to them.

The only achievement that counts as far as the the topic of this thread is concerned is achieving the trust and confidence of 24% of the electorate in the previous election and if the 'trend' in polling is to be believed (it is generally a fair metric) that has risen to the mid 30%'s and is still rising.

If they achieve between 35-40% of the vote that changes the dynamic dramatically.

Only the undemocratic will refuse to talk about forming a government.

• Advertisement

Yes but your point is by watching "their performance in Northern Ireland they could do a lot of damage in a very short time."

Your trying to suggest in someway that you know that their performance in the North is damaging to the north and if we are to examine their performance their we shouldn't even consider them for government for fear of the damage they could do in a very short period of time.

I mean it sounds to me that the only thing you might worry about in the south is a parades commission being set up, and at worst they are a do nothing government that will carry on the policies of the current government.

The current government would want to fix many problems in the next year and a half if they want to damage SF's poll numbers on the day, 2 years is a long time and they will be judged on the next two years. And they The Greens might want be wary of their partners clinging to power just in case they might see a bounce in the economy, or a miracle in health and house come 2024.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement