Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

the idea that what we have at the moment either doesn't function or is a coalition of the right is absolutely not borne out by any type of reasonable analysis or argument

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

They may try to push FG into a coalition so as to be come leaders of the opposition again, FG will say for the good of the country much like LP did in 2011. I mean FG couldn't possibly refuse to go into coalition with any party if such a move wasn't for the good of the country .... right?

I don't see how FG could be forced into that position against their will. Seems almost certain FF will go into the election leaving the door open to a deal with SF and FG ruling it out. If one of them has to hook up with SF I don't see how FF can make a reasonable argument that it shouldn't be them.

I'm thinking the wiser heads in FF may have a "Let this cup pass from me" attitude to a deal with SF. They may accept the necessity to step up if required but know it would not be in FF's own medium to long term interests. I suspect they would prefer if one of these scenarios materialised

• SF get 70+ reps and try to go it as a minority government
    • SF find support from the remnants of other left parties (of which there won't be much) and independents to put together a govt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

The last thing SF wants is to be the only party in power, they will want a coalition partner that will take some of the blame when people want to point the finger at government.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It remains to be seen who'll go in with them and how many seats they might get with the new Dail at 170-180 seats. I'm less convinced of the need for FF to throw their lot in with them and a virgin government of the left have absolutely no idea just how tough it is in power. Personally don't think they have much talent even if they rope in Labours and/or the SDs and if there is one the left does well it is splitting and falling out.

Its not even a given that SF will be in power after the next election. The current opinion poles are showing no clear government, depending on how parties manage their votes and transfers, its possible the current government will be returned in some form.

I can't see LAB or SD actually wanting to go into power. 100% agree that SF have no idea how tough it would be, although they would spend their entire time in government blaming previous governments.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The only realistic outcome remains SF + FF.

As I said earlier in the thread, there is no path to government for SF that does not include FF.

• The more time between now and the next election, the better for Sinn Féin. All the more rope for FFG.

The real key players in Sinn Féin forming a government could be the Social Democrats. If they could stop being the most piss-poorly organised party in the state, they have a great chance of adding substantially to their seats.

They doubled their seats from 3 to 6 in 2020 and a common theme across many constituencies after the last election "I'd have given SD one of my preferences had they ran someone."

It's easy to say with hindsight that Sinn Féin should have run more candidates in 2020 but even prior to the election it was obvious Social Democrats were nowhere near ambitious enough. They ran 20 candidates in 7 counties and 13 of those candidates were in Cork and Dublin. I know cosmopolitan urbanites are their bread and butter but they've been around long enough to be making a dent in other parts of the country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I am far from convinced that the SocDems align politically with SF at all thought I guess that has not been a barrier to such things before.

Its not even a given that SF will be in power after the next election. The current opinion poles are showing no clear government, depending on how parties manage their votes and transfers, its possible the current government will be returned in some form.

Even in the unlikely event the numbers are there, does FF want to put a jaded FG back in again?

I can't see LAB or SD actually wanting to go into power.

Why not? If SF are looking to put together the state's first 'true left' government, wouldn't that hold a big allure for both parties, even if they (especially Labour) would have very mixed feelings about it...

Well, at the moment, FG are 5% higher than FF in the opinion polls.

Unless its a FF + SF government, I don't actually see a majority government being formed at all at this stage, still 2 years + to go though. Before the next election, both FF and FG need to announce what their plans are, are they hoping to return the same government again? Will FF + FG want to enter government together again, or are either of them willing to go into power with SF?

LAB stated before the last election that they would not be looking to enter government. They have changed leader since then, however nothing much else has changed. If they were convinced to go into power, and SF wanted the "left government" they would be courted by both SF and FF + FG. In that instance, its far from a given that they would side with SF.

• Advertisement

There 's no obligation on any party to discuss their plans for government formation in advance of the election. Perfectly legitimate for them to say they are standing on their own platform and then see where things stand after the election. Pascal Donohoe suggested FF and FG running on a joint platform but was knocked back so it doesn't look like that'll be happening. FF have already signalled theire willingness to do business with SF but win't want to say any more than that for fear of being portrayed as potential lackeys of Mary Lou.

Re Labour, if the Dail is divided into apparent roughly equal blocs of an SF-led Left and FF + FG + non-Left independents, any of the left/progressive parties would face an enormous backlash for 'crossing the floor' to prop up another FF/FG government. But if those are the numbers I don't believe FF & FG would form an actual bloc as it looks increasingly likely to me that FF would support an SF-led government in preference to another deal with FG.

Indeed no party is under an obligation to discuss their plans for government formation, however, if FF and FG stated that their plans are to return the current government, then the two parties should be transfer friendly.

LAB is still in decline since 2016, I really would be shocked if they entered government again.

IMO FF's indication that it is willing to do business with SF puts the kibosh on any sort of cooperation with FG. If the central plank of FG's election campaign is "An SF-led government would be Ireland's worst nightmare and a vote for any other party is potentially a vote for SF" I don't see how they can give any encouragement to their voters to transfer to FF.

The circumstances where I see Labour entering government is if they are essential to making up the numbers for an SF-led Left government. In this scenario SF would almost certainly be forming a government anyway with the support of FF so Labour could use the rationale that their participation would be giving the government a proper left direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Holly Cairns only won her seat on transfers from an SF candidate in 2020 - a bump for SF (or resurgent FG now that KAren Coakley is out) there would have brought FG a seat in 2020 and higher SF in 2020 would have delivered the seat to SF. Cairns is out in the next election, surely

Garry Gannon - won the seat on the back of MLMcD not having a running mate - he'll be eviscerated in 2020 (unless he jumps ship to SF which is a slim possibility)

Cian O'Callaghan - Denise Mitchell SF had almost 2 quotas in 2020 which gifted both him and possibly Aiodhan O Riordan a seat on transfers. He only had half a quota in his own right so we'll be waving "bye bye" to him next election.

Jennifer Whitmore had .59 of a quota so has a better chance but was helped along by FG splitting its vote 3 ways (1.54 quotas) and SF having a large surplus with nowhere to go (1.45 quotas) so she'll be battling it out with FF (.83 quotas) the greens and possibly a stronger FG 2nd candidate (they made a huge mistake in running Billy Timmins in 2020).

Shortfall and Murphy are safe: with such a licking in an election would find it hard to see why they would take the risk of further cannibalisation and more likely to stay outside government. (Murphy in particular I'd predict will NEVER go into government.)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Great analysis, though I wouldn’t underestimate the many attractions of a Ministry for those approaching the end of their career; pension, legacy, ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Going for a Ministry when you've not had one before does not guarantee any pension. You need 2 years service to get a cent; and reshuffles or new elections can knock you out.

Shortall does not have one (she is over 65, and elected before 2004 so could claim it under either basis if so) as her service was under 2 years. A few months could be very valuable there!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

A C&S arrangement would be interesting. FF are sure to have learned from the last time.

They could pick SF Ministers off one by one. SF would be seriously exposed with nobody at cabinet with any experience of government at all.

Would be a complete disaster for the country though, and you would hope it didn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I just hope that during the next election campaign we won't have the likes of RTE and Pat Kenny hounding all of the parties to rule out going into coalition with other parties at every given opportunity. Realistically FG and SF are highly unlikely to go into coalition with each other. They know it. The voters know it. We don't need some kind of blood oath ruling it out.

As we move away from the big two party system and more into the multiple medium to small sized parties we're going to see more complex coalitions formed. If parties start ruling out other parties before the election even happens it doesn't really help anyone and makes everything more complex after the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How many constituencies/or candidates did the SD's stand in at the last election does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I hope we don't get a replay of the last time.

They should be having chats with potential partners in the run up. Even those previously reluctant to side them will be considering it, especially if the only other option is FF/FG again. And I'd include FF in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Elections ireland has lots of that data.

6 seats from 20 candidates in 20 constituencies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It will be far more difficult the next time around. Now that there is a genuine possibility that SF could be in government the dynamics will change. They’ll gain some supporters as a result, the other parties will do the same to ensure they won’t get in, others will voter for the first time in years because it might not turn out they want it, the economy will be different etc… The one thing you can bet on is that it won’t be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You’re right that we don’t need dramatic questions seeking headline responses about who’s not getting into bed with who.

Press absolutely should be asking ALL parties about what kinds of compromises they’re prepared to tolerate to get into government, so voters can judge accordingly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Press absolutely should be asking ALL parties about what kinds of compromises they’re prepared to tolerate to get into government, so voters can judge accordingly.

No one can answer that question honestly prior to an election in reality though. It depends a massive amount on how the results play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I have no idea why any party would join SF. As we have seen with SF in North and when they had any control in Ireland in local government they are fantastic at pointing the finger.

FG have already made the decision and I think it is right to say, let them off we will go into opposition. They won't change the next election either.

FF should do the same, let them off. Otherwise if they join it will just be SF trying to throw them under the bus at every turn and that will happen when you see the TD's that SF have and none of them with any experience.

FF would be better off long term getting away from these coalitions, let the rest off with it. Especially if FF have a new leader and has a long term plan, MM wanted to get the Taoiseach job and pushed a short term view. A new leader in all probability will be in place and could say I will hold on till next election.

Like in reality Leo is 43, 10 years younger than MLM so he can play the waiting game even after the next election.

I said it in 2020 that it would have been better if SF went into government then for FF and FG because by this stage now they would be thrown out, or totally crippled with people calling for an election. But SF knew this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not sure what the answer is. I agree it is a difficult one when you are campaigning against another party, to be asked would you coalesce with them.

But one sure thing, it will be asked. People will want to know if they are voting for the same thing again or not.

Some fair points but the drift seems to be towards a move away from the traditional. I think FF and SF will get much the same support, FF may be pipped by SF. If the SD's, PBP and Labour gain any traction it could open up more options.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

After 2007 FF was finished, would never be elected again etc..... and where are they now?

If SF, SD, PBP etc do manage to reach an agreement it won't last more than a couple of months at best, the egos, the dogma and the promises etc... will cause them to fall apart quickly.

I think most of them have too many redline issues. Thats where there'll be trouble. That said pulling a labour by becoming more FG than FG wouldn't work out either. FF/FG being very similar helped them both but the results aren't exactly stellar. I could see SF/PBP having a go with others. Neither are workers party or the PD's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Once Varadkar is Taoiseach, FF will start to differentiate themselves from FG - and perhaps stir things a little but it will be the Greens who bring down the Government (I think Spring next year). SF will do well but there will be a three way tie with FF, FG and themselves. FG and FF will go into Govt again together….

Advertisement