Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭yagan

For what it's worth we went to England for a for years recently for my wife's career in a role attached to one of their major universities. I can't specify what area as it's a specialty in a small field where many know eachother. Many EU staff started their exit plans after the Brexit vote, and by the time we'd left most were gone. Many universities there have increased courting middle east money with the establishment of prep courses there, but the problems were already apparent after the first intake years where it was obvious that many students had paid their way through their prep courses and simply weren't suitable or prepared for the specialties that their parents are paying for.

Many of my wife's UK colleagues were dismayed at watching their courses being devalued so rapidly as they felt eventually it will do great reputational damage.

Has your daughter considered studying in the EU? Look through eunicas.ie for university courses throughout the EU taught via English and many have zero fees. In many instances it may be the cheaper option than studying in Ireland, and certainly the UK with its £9.000 annual fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Unlike some Brexiteers who use "they're onto their fifth one" as a sneer, I don't regard the validity of French republicanism as at all diminished by the efforts of Napoleon and the increasingly ridiculous pound-shop "emperors" succeeding him. Quite the opposite in fact.

Edit: Actually think it was under an article about the future of the UK monarchy, not Brexit, where I read those comments...

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In my experience, anyone who can accurately count how many Republics France have gone through is extremely unlikely to be a Brexiter.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The reason for a new republic in France is so they can have a new constitution, a new President with different powers, and following a war, they feel they need to start again - justifiably.

The Fifth Republic was formed by de Gaulle after the Algerian war.

Then there was WWI and WW II. Cannot remember why the got up to five - probably after they got rid of the monarchy, and then the Emperor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭yagan

The Fifth Republic as passed by 80% of the French voting public allowed France to move into a post imperial age, but the British public never had that official break with its past. De Gaulle was correct in viewing Britain's interest in the EEC as simply a replacement for lost markets of empire and that it would never fully internalise that it as a cooperative effort.

For us in Ireland the EEC was a no brainer, membership meant more markets and opportunities beyond the traditional food and people exporter to Britain and its legacies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Plus we had to join if Britain did since it was our major market and it would have been economic suicide to cut ourselves off from our neighbouring major market.

Now, how was that message lost on Britain when they decided to cut themselves off from their neighbouring major market?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Republic - Napoleon - monarchy -Napolean - Monarchy - Republic II -Napolean III - Republic III - WWII - Republic IV - Algeria - Republic V IIRC.

The UK is now suffering due to the relative historic success of its parliament which has lead to little change and evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The interesting thing about Ireland's accession to the EEC in 1973 is that the country knew full well the country was joining an economic and political union and that it was a massive deal. There was none of this "we thought we were merely joining a trade bloc" you hear from the modern Brexiteers / right wing English nationalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Gerry T

They are just fooling themselves "I was all for it as a trade bloc but now" is down to those old people being young and open minded back then, Tories were pro Europe back then and some of them are just straight up lying to fuel the "unelected bureaucracts" myth.

I remember hearing that phrase a lot during Question Time running up to Brexit and I always got a very insincere feeling from the audience members in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Indeed - another fraudulent claim of theirs is that the EEC changed direction after the 1973 and the future emergence of the European Union and Single Market could never have been possibly been possibly predicted. This apparently only happened 'because of power mad bureaucrats in Brussels' coming to the fore with the aim of a federal Europe.

In fact, people like Edward Heath and Sean Lemass had been openly talking about future political union in Europe as far back as the late 60s, early 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As if a trade bloc can exist without standards and a supra-national means of enforcing them. It's completely disingenuous revisionism.

They signed up to a treaty containing the words "ever closer union".

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Just re-read the article for the fifth time.

The article refers to four people/couples . One has not problems accessing any services he needs (JF)

Of the other three:-

One couple had a problem in Germany when they used their residency permit to travel in the EU. It is not clear if they are UK citizens, they are described as British South Africans. The fact they were told they were illegally in Germany suggest they were not in the in transit area within the Airport . There is far too little information to understand what happened them.

One (AB) a pilot cannot change his German licence for a Portuguese one. This could be explained by this post in Legal Discussions

Where it is stated that a foreign that "It doesn’t work. An EU licence can now only be exchanged if it’s obtained via test in the other country or is acquired via exchange from a country with which Ireland has a licence excavate agreement. Brazilians used to be able to follow this route via Portugal but no longer."

It is very possible that this rule applies throughout the Eu and so A German Licence cannot be exchanged unless it was obtained via test. I don't know and perhaps the Guardian don't either.

Finally one person (JC) had to pay €4000 euro for health care. But again no details , Was this a private hospital, was it the result of an accident? In Ireland , people who may be able to claim for damages, such as an RTA victim , are often billed by Irish Hospital on the basis that an insurance company will pick up the cost. Could this be similar? We don't know. The articles claims that JC had 25 other issues but failed to itemised any of them.

To be honest, while it is clear that the Portuguese seem slows to issue the cards required , there is really no real substance to any of the issues raised in this article. Tig James, who runs the British in Portugal campaign group, said an estimated 41,000 British nationals were affected. But if these three stories are the worst the Guardian could come up with them I would love to see the issue the 40,996 others are having.

Plus this opposition to the SM by Tories forgets that the main protagonist of it was their favourite - one Margaret Thatcher, who saw it a way of cutting the dreadful red tape that was involved moving something from one part of the EU to another. If the whole EU had the same standards, why the paperwork?

Of course the Brexiteers never got the memo - did not understand it.

This nonsense about unelected bureaucrats in Brussels decried by Brexiteers who have no problem with unelected bureaucrats in Whitehall - but of course, they call them Civil Servants - same function, just different title.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Oh they fully understand it. They completely agree on the value of Unions and shared standards. They continually talk about the sacred union that is the UK.

What they didn't like was being held accountable. That is all Brexit is. They wanted to remove any oversight so they could do as they please. And we have seen proof of that with the way the deal itself was rushed through without oversight or review. The way the NZ was passed without any review. They are even now fighting hard against Johnson being held to a committee of MP's.

They also believed that since the UK is the centre of the world that the EU would simply give them whatever they wanted and they could enjoy the benefits of free trade without any of the oversight. And tbh if it hadn't been for NI then they probably would have gotten pretty close to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

About that pilot license exchange: were these ever exchangeable between EU member states as licences within the common meaning of the word, associated with wheeled vehicles? Or are they considered more like professional qualifications, similarly to doctors, lawyers and other high-skill occupations?

The recognition of professional qualifications between EU member states is nowhere near as straightforward and ‘automatic’, as many Europhiles would have you believe. I’m speaking from expert knowledge (in my professional field, which is not aircraft operation) and repeat experience with that.

And the situation is far, far worse for the recognition of 3rd country (driving) licenses and professional qualifications which, so far as I am aware, remains a national prerogative only, unharmonised at the EU level.

Where there is harmonisation, there is often a triple test (cumulative) associated with the right/privilege of using such license or qualification in a professional context, i.e. EU27 qualification, EU27 nationality and EU27 residence.

The article refers to the pilot, Alex Braithwaite, trying to exchange his driving licence not his pilot licence. It might be possible if Portugal recognises UK driving licence and the pilot originally did his test in the UK. The problem might be that he is trying to exchange a German licence for which he never did a test ( Speculating here because we have insufficient information in the article, but it might be reasonable to assume teat the pilot worked in Germany and exchanged his UK driving licence for a German one when the UK was in the EU. But he now cannot exchange that licence for a Portuguese one because he never sat a test in Germany. Ireland has recognised UK licences but other EU countries may not have, especially as UK drivers drive on the 'wrong side' of the road).

Either way, these difficulties are a direct result of Brexit and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Slightly off topic, but this is a much repeated notion based on very little. People do not, on the whole, become significantly more conservative as they age. If they were young and liberal then they are likely to be old and liberal. There is a very slight tendency for people to swing to conservatism as they get older, due to factors such as changed lifestyle, and also the changing topics for indicating liberality, but it is slight, it is not enough to accommodate this lazy generality that all older people are going to become conservative.

Politicians don't need age to change their views, they will go with whatever gets them re-elected, voters vote for what sounds like the best argument to accommodate their own needs at any point in time.

Look at yourself, presumably you consider yourself to have liberal attitudes? Do you see yourself abandoning your views that sexuality is the business of the individual, that people have the right to choose what happens with their own body, that skin colour is not a reason for judging someone and so on? If a new idea comes along - say vegetarianism becomes mainstream, for example - your own children may adopt it as absolutely reasonable, are you likely to abandon meat eating because that becomes current thinking?

At an anecdotal level I think I have become more liberal with age, and I can think of several friends in their 70s and 80s who have very easy, live and let live, liberal views. I also know some people in that age group who are conservative in their views, they are people who have always been conservative. Overall numbers of older people have a tendency to conservatism simply because they are a product of their time, not because they have significantly changed stance. A person who was considered liberal 50 years ago may now be seen as somewhat conservative simply because attitudes have changed.

I agree people don't become more conservative as they age. What what does happen is that some give less of a sht about things like free movement as their personal world contracts.

And again this would only be a minority who's views when younger would have been flimsy to begin with. The "it was only a trade bloc" people probably were not thinking too deep about it in their youth.

There is also the point that generals fight the last war.

Matters that were important in ones youth become irrelevant in later life. The whole WW II environment mattered to those in the 1950s and 1960s but is irrelevant today. The real threat of nuclear war was important during the cold war in the 1960s. The Vietnam war mattered to those threatened with the draft. The financial crash effected us greatly, but we are over that now. Now globalisation is coming home to roost, with climate change becoming a reality.

So, depending on one's age, one's political views are formed according to one's lived experience. Lifetime job - nah, I'll just retrain. Long commute - nah, I'll just get a job where I'll be able to work from home. Etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I disagree.

Here, in the UK, World War 2 was weaponised as part of the Brexit campaign. We were told that the freedom won by WW2 veterans at horrific cost was being taken away by the EU (when it's the Tories who have declared war on free speech) and that "Britain stood alone", thus callously disregarding the contributions of the Empire and its vast resources. It's disgusting and nobody here in the UK has challenged this abuse of history.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

That is not the point I was making.

WW II was used as a propaganda weapon. Anyone who fell for that were just falling for propaganda.

Those who lived through WW II learnt that the expression 'Do you not know there is a war on?' meant that one should not complain about current deprivation - just accept it, and get on with it. This flowed through the rationing that continued after the war. Words like 'thrift' and 'economise' and 'darning socks' and 'do without' have fallen from use - but are valid for those that predate the boomers. British (Tory) politicians invoke 'the Dunkirk spirit' by trying to make a major military disaster into some kind of victory - just more propaganda - usually by ones who have no experience of war.

But that is politics. We are the product of our times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Indeed, the sacrifices made by many nations in that war have been expunged from the conciousness of the British public by the RW media. Look at how badly Polish people were treated when they provided so many Airmen, and they are only one of many countries that felt that hot wind of English Nationalism blow over them during the initial Brexit period.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

It's less they give a sht about things that would concern young people, its more likely that older people have more stuff that make conservatives more appealing to them. Someone in their 50's is more likely to own or be invested in a business of some size and they tend to be a homeowner in some fashion. 2 key areas that conservative policies tend to favour. Age has actually nothing to do with it beyond the odds of having one or both of these issues be important increases with age. It's why you can find young conservatives but they also happen to be people who (often with family help) got on to the property ladder really early or started a business right out of school or college, or simply will inherit all of that so their parents concerns to protect it become theirs.

It's also why the tories have a bit of a crisis on their hands with the housing market etc because home ownership is for a lot of people a later and later prospect, owning your own business or being invested in a business enough to actually have it affect your voting habits is also in decline so the tory traditional voting base has been getting smaller and older. hence the pivot into anti woke social issues to pad out the numbers.

Also nothing the Tories have done in the last 10 years has in any way been good for business.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ya but if he had actually gone through with that we would know because business would be pregnant now 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

my main issue is not with portugal but with the eu as they have set no proper time frame. when thos cards have to be issuesd . For travelling it is actually an eu issue that can affects eu citizen in the same way that is does affect those uk people . As far as i am concerned ,in the guardian article , the uk people mentioned , asked for nothing that was not granted to them by the withdrawal rights , it has nothing to do with british exceptionalism or entitlement issues, so i dont see the reason to include that into this issue. we have discussed this issue 1000 times and agreed on that almost as often as we agreed 1000 times FPTP is not good,

it also has nothing to do with brexit means brexit .... that a lot of people have used in this context .

its about withdrawal agreement rights are withdrawal agreement rights regardless if it is an uk or an eu issue .

what you are calling teething problems are not really teething issues those issues exist in the eu ,for eu people travelling with a stamp 4 spouse ,for decades. they are now just transferred to those uk people that exercised their free movement right before brexit . The main issue really is that there is no good data sharing between eu countries, for what documents are to be accepted, by border control , and the more you deviate from standard card the more issues you create . and even with the card its not plain sailing as there is still many border control people that dont know the basics. for the uk people it just adds another level of things that can go wrong for them. of course some issues are teething issues but in the travel case i do not see it for the above reasons.

portugal does not break the the rules , as those temporary documents are allowed in accordance with the withdrawal agreement and there is no official timeline written when those cards have to be issuesd , as the same time it does also not follow the rule as its says those uk people have right to get those cards and in reasonable time. i would argue ,and the eu commison, would seem to agree with me that portugal is not acting in good faith, . The eu commission monitors the situation, if there was no problem they would not monitor it , i think we can agree on that . Especially since many other countries have issued those entitled uk citizens residents cards.

for some rules are black and white but this rule is not black and white as it is not well defined , and people that should not suffer ,have issues . of course every system has cracks people fall through but i think we agree that the best way would be to reduce those cracks and not to use them as an excuse for something that happens and see how we can close them .

So while in theory even with the current document nobody should have troubles travelling , the reality is known for many many years even before brexit was a word that it creates issues . so what is a possible solution .... portugal manages, to send out cards to ukranians in 2 weeks , thats great and i applaud them for that , but that would suggest they could send out this cards to those uk citizens too and that would be one or 2 issues less , as those cards create far less issues.

there is people that say, one of the guardian article issues pointed out has nothing to do with the issue ie the uk south african couple . i have to assume that the guardian fact checked this and this south african had a EU treaty rights stamp 4 residency card before brexit , which means that as an spouse to an eu citizen she or he has the right to be in portugal and travel in the eu 90 out of 180 days without visa ,Those rights transferred over with brexit , as nothing has changed in that legislation , but of course with a temporary paper its no suprise this happens, as it is another layer where a not well trained border control person can make a mistake. if there was a proper data system there should be no problem. it will be interesitng if they will get a court hearing in germany and what will be the outcome of it. and then we can make a more informed decision on it .

sure there is teething issues but there is just as many system issues that could have been rectified many many years ago even before brexit was a word . and i dont think shouting brexit means brexit is the solution to this, not that you do but others did . and not breaking rules does not mean the rules are followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Very true, but there is that bizarre notion that conservatives are good for business which keeps being pushed every election. Which is why if you are someone invested into your own business or deep into the upper echelons of another business you'd think it's a good idea to vote for them. No one tends to point out that conservatives are good for businesses their friends own or have personal investment in them..

• Advertisement

But the Guardian article doesn't show any significant problems with the system.

It lists three people/couples. One is a British South African couple travelling into Germany where their residency in Portugal was apparently not accepted for entry into Germany. The issue might be in Germany rather than Portugal. One was a pilot who couldn't exchange his German driving licence for a Portuguese one when he probably is not entitled to do so. And one is someone who paid for health care when another person in the report had no problem accessing health care.

Considering, according to the article, there are 42000 UK citizens who are resident in Portugal, i would say the system is working remarkably well.

Advertisement