Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I know it's not typical of the coutry at large but a lot of dublin pubs fly the american flag and not an eu one.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I wouldn't say you see it more in Dublin, take a walk around Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Thats for tourism reasons more than anything else, id wager those same pubs are charging extortionate prices for pints as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭yagan

Pints that increase in prices as the night goes on. I had the misfortune of some yank relatives insisting on meeting in the Oliver St Gogarty in Temple bar, they loved it no matter how much it cost as long as they got to sing Molly Malone once a hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's fairly prominent though - it's seen on all government buildings and flies over the GPO.

• Advertisement

FT reports that Truss is considering triggering Article 16 as soon as September (a bit of a surprise development, as most had assumed the A16 idea was going to be shelved).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They are welcome to trigger it; the only problem is as with Boris that they need to show some actual proof rather than make grand statements and as seen with Boris previously (and a number of NI ministers) that's as far as it goes (because surprise surprise article 16 does not do what the Brexiteers think it does). Hence it will play well with the hardcore frothers hating EU voters she needs and I'm sure we'll hear more about how Truss is "going to trigger article 16 soon (tm)" etc. but I'd put money on that it will never happen. Between the fact they would have to implement the full protocol, the limited scope, the need to discuss it etc. means it would be UK's largest self goal in the negotiation history (and that's saying something...).

As a separate note here's a non complete list of all the things Brexiteers will threaten/bring up and fail to do:

• Take control of the borders and stop immigration via boats (depend on France and EU)
    • Actually check imports from EU (and the rest of the world) as the controls on EU has been in place since day 1 and UK is still in hold pattern
    • Come up with a technical solution for the above point (2024 "smart border" is a laugh)
    • Come up with an acceptable NI solution to replace the current protocol (as if they cared)
    • Stop paying EU for the divorce bill (already increased and now they will not even say how big it will be anymore)
    • Write a better trade deal than what EU has (this is beyond the point of the EU clause of their right to get same terms if they are better in the first place) with a country
    • Have higher standards than EU requirements

Yet I'm sure we can play Brexit Bingo once Truss is PM that every single point will come up in the first year...

It certainly suggests Truss is planning to showboat or throw shapes as soon as she gets the job - perhaps stage a confrontation with the EU as soon as she enters Downing Street (maybe her way of announcing "I've arrived").

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

She has nothing else to offer though and they could have an potato elected and we'd get the same agenda. They need something to try to cause a distraction from the insane inflation (18%), the cost of energy increase, lack of food on shelves, the strikes, the legal cases EU started etc. Boris was a coat turner to what ever he thought was popular who felt he could free style himself with slogans out of anything but Truss makes Boris look like a bloody genius by comparison in the policy department.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The agreement is being fatally undermined and dismantled with no response.

This is not what could happen. This has been happening since the agreement was signed.

The British government have not fulfilled the terms of the agreement.

There are no consequences for this so we will be the punching bag - only the bag itself won't last much longer.

Realistically, the agreement is over. It has already been defaulted on.

We have not had the protection and response we should have had from Brussels.

It should have been made plain from the very beginning that the UK could never treat a member country of the EU like this without a serious economic retaliation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Were you expecting the Belgian army to come over or something?

I'm not aware of any damage the lack of protocol implementation is actually doing to Ireland? The entire EU is effectively turning a blind eye to the possibility of Sainsbury's sausages ending up in a fry in Dublin, or Paris, or even Brussels!

The EU is responding how the EU always responds. In a deliberate, if slow way. There is no emergency here. Irish exports to the rest of the SM are not under the threat you seem to think they are. Everyone knows who is at fault for all of this. I know you want the EU to declare a trade war on the UK and rip up the TCA etc. but I doubt that would actually be in Ireland's best interest. We still trade significant volumes with them, due to geography. Let the EU plod along and gradually squeeze, rather than take the sledgehammer out. The UK is self destructing anyway so what's the rush to bash them on the head. With any "luck" the current problems plaguing UK will cause it to "reboot itself" (through mass civil disobedience, leading to reform of government and of the electoral system and them finally realising, they "ain't all that"). And then we can talk to them eye to eye about the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's grand. Mr. Frog loves Brexit and hates the EU so he is trying to sow discord because he genuinely (I actually mean genuinely) believes he can move the needle from his account on Boards.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Please go away with your conspiracy theory nonsense!

And yet every time reality is pointed out yeh get all spooked and simply must retort with insults and wrong assertions. All comes across quite desperate really.

So on the one hand it makes no difference who posts on Boards but on the other you have shut down what's uncomfortable to you as quickly as possible.

You're spooked for one reason - because what I have been saying is true and you know it's true.

It's just fingers in the ears... denial, denial, denial.

The difference with me is that if the EU actually acted I would give them credit.

You, and the others here, will cheerlead no matter what the EU does.

Reality is not conspiracy.

Hilarious you think an organisation that can't even take corrective action against a dictatorship (one of it's own members) is going to be squaring off with the British on behalf of Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭yagan

Why don't you just ban that poster for repeated brigading?

Why not just ban everyone with a different opinion to your own🙄

It would help if you indicated what exactly you would like me to prove.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Christ, you even point out the chasm of a difference between the two situations in your own post.

If the EU took action at some perceived threat and that action damaged Ireland, you'd be on here posting about the EU empire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You do talk some shyte boyo.

Go ask the Confederation of British Industry what they make of Brexit and then ask the National Farmers Union and then ask the National Federation of Fisherman's Organisations, oh and while I think of it, also ask Universities UK and UK Research and Innovation, the latter being the umbrella groups for all 3rd and 4th Level education and R&D funding in Britain.

I'll save you the trouble, because I've read various missives from all the above over the last couple of years and what they're saying, not about the prospects of Brexit, but in terms of actual lived experience, is described variously as 'disastrous', 'devastating' and 'existential', to choose but a few.

The way the UK economy is actually heading, in terms of devaluation and entrepreneurship, is that one half of the population will end up working in WH Smiths selling the Daily Mail to the other half, who in turn will work in Gregg's selling sausage rolls to the half selling the papers.

What is in prospect this Winter, is a UK exchequer already cut to the bone on supplementing the NHS and making up for the catastrophic universal credits policy, that can't afford to support fuel poverty and malnutrition or industries with jobs going on short-time because of runaway input costs.

Thats the sort of stuff that leads to civil unrest, crime and an unpredictable electorate.

Thats your Brexit laddo, a turd circling the polished ceramic of oblivion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's the constant, tedious refrain of Schrödinger's EU: simultaneously overbearing and insidious, yet weak and ineffective. Just depends on the situation demanding adjustment so it fits one's bias.

The insistence, the determination that here it comes, Ireland is about to be thrown under the bus. Every time it doesn't come to pass, yet here we are again; said same refrain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Brexiteers always cited the 'unelected bureaucrats in Brussels' who number about 32,000 while accepting the 480,000 'loyal civil servants' that work for the UK Gov. Of course that does not include all those employed by the various LAs and other government administrators.

Now, the UK Gov does not have enough customs officers to inspect incoming goods, nor the port infrastructure with which to operate those inspections.

So, the solution - Article 16 will solve the NI protocol, and massive tax cuts. Of course tax cuts means a cut in income tax, not VAT - as Tories pay income tax but the poorest do not, but all pay VAT. Energy costs are the biggie, but no handouts to the poorest.

I see riots in the streets, plus 'Don't Pay' protests.

Ireland is in the process of being "thrown under the bus". It's been happening for two years.

Incidentally that's your term. I've never used it.

You pretend not to understand and make it look like Ireland being "thrown under the bus " is some one off cosmic event that happens.

At the end of the day this will end one of two ways. Either Britain is forced to uphold it's agreement (what I want to see) or Ireland falls out of the single market.

Which one would you prefer?

Latest from the UK press is that Truss is going to give the EU a "ten day ultimatum" as soon as she takes office, otherwise she'll trigger Article 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What you want is for Ireland to leave the EU.

Don't worry that silent majority 🤣 is gonna rise up any day now.

I don't want Ireland to leave the EU. I want the EU reformed

Apparently according to some here the British are doing nothing to our country.

Oh wait they have only been destabilising our politics, our economy, our society and creating fertile ground for trouble in the north.

But other than that they are doing nothing.

But this is fine and the EU is playing 4d chess etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Didn’t they “threaten” that one about half dozen times already?

Impossible to tell what Truss is really up to. I guess we'll find out very soon though - she's due to be announced as PM in just over a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Brexit has stopped any reform of the EU for at least 20 years, including expansion.

It will consolidate now, instead of moving ahead at the breakneck speed of 1992-2012, and if the EU is guilty of anything, it is that.

However, Brexit has also made the core membership more hardened. If you're not with the project, you're against it. And thats not a bad thing, it must be voracious in its defence of itself, in the face of the rise of fascism. Everyone will know where they stand.

And thats the reason there will be no compromise with Britain. There cannot be. If Britain go beyond the brink, they will unleash a trade war that will cripple them. And by losing 45% of their market, I do mean cripple.

What Prime Minister would sign off on that? The last ever Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, is the answer.

Advertisement