Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

It's great how you're comfortable at home and telling people to do what you did. Many people don't have that same luxury and have conscience to test themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Most people won't be any more affected by it than I was.

The funny thing about people like yourself is that it comes across as though that's a BAD thing? As if ye almost wish that more people were seriously ill so you could say "there! See? Told ya masks were worth it!" or something.

Thankfully that's not the case and for the vast majority of people it's a virus with little to no debilitating effects, and can be treated with rest and over the counter medication.

Given the state of our health services that's probably a good thing (and which is the real thing we were protecting - specifically decades of waste and mismanagement from the same "experts" worrying in the media).

You seem to know an awful lot about this. Maybe you should take over from Dr Lambert, infectious disease doctor in Dublin.

Ah resorting to childish nonsense. Always a sign of being unable to construct a proper counterargument

Enjoy your day

It's you who's claiming you know it all. And when someone doesn't agree with you, you start calling them childish and whatever else. You're a full time troll here and I don't know why or how you are getting away with it everyday.

• Advertisement

Read my post.

VAST MAJORITY of cases are insanely mild and wouldn't even need a sick day.

I didn't say your friend wasn't out for a few weeks. But that's not the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The only thing I see wrong with the posters is the no test as I think all should test to make sure there negative but that me. Just saying his own story. Looking for an argument today?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Whatever about your size comparison (nm or μm?) I think we're aware small things can pass through bigger gaps, it's a bit more complicated that that.

An N95 mask is designed to have a filtering efficiency of at least 95% of particles 0.3μm and greater, but will still filter smaller particles to a lesser degree. It's not a case of "they don't stop asbestos particles". They do, just not at the level required given it's status as a carcinogen.

You're completely correct on the requirement of face fit testing, and that facial hair will impact obtaining the best seal, but lacking the former and having the latter will not make a mask ineffective, just less effective. Workplace protocols are all well & good in relatively controlled environments, but are also down to legal responsibilities.

For a worldwide pandemic it's mitigation strategies that are more important, and masks/face coverings can play their part.

Tell me where I claimed to know it all?

Remind me which of us is making nonsense suggestions about taking over from doctors?

Who is refusing to answer the questions or points raised but resorting to stuff like the above instead?

I'll give you a hint... It's not me!

It's you who's spouting rubbish here calling it a one day sniffle.

• Advertisement

Keep reading back, maybe you'll get it eventually.

For the majority of people it's no more than a mild inconvenience absolutely. For a thankfully very small minority (who are generally also the group most susceptible to a host of other illnesses as well) it can be more serious. I've never said otherwise.

Thankfully we have practical measures and vaccinations to support that second group which is exactly where our efforts should be focused. For the rest though, they will recover just fine with some rest and over the counter medication.

These are the facts after 2 and a half years of us dealing with this. Covid is of little to no risk to the vast majority of people who get it which is a very positive thing. For those it is more of a threat, we have treatments.

What I don't understand is people like yourself who seem to wish it was otherwise and who seem to have a real problem with anyone who doesn't take your views as gospel or doesn't behave the way you think they should behave.

I don't care if you or anyone else wants to wear a mask, socially distance, limit your interactions, stay home, or whatever else. I don't care if you do so because you feel safer doing it, or because you feel like you're protecting others by doing so. It's your life, live it however you wish

However, I DO have a problem when you or people like you overstep into thinking that you have the right to tell anyone else what they should do.

I also have a problem with the attitude that comes with it - effectively throwing a tantrum because people disagree with you or don't immediately validate you or your opinion. I don't care if you agree with me or don't. I don't mind if you post counter arguments (it's a discussion forum after all), but the nonsense like the above posts from you add nothing, and only serve to undermine any point you might actually have.

Your (and others) name calling, deflection, baiting, tantrums and other such guff is wasted on me. This isn't Twitter and I'm not a teenager, nor am I so thin skinned as to be offended or hurt by an anonymous randomer on the Internet.

If you want to engage in a mature way then please do, but otherwise just add me to your ignore list (this goes for anyone else here as well), but be under no illusions - I am going nowhere and I will continue to post my views on this topic as I see them.

Hope this clears it up for you.

STOP REPLYING TO ME.

I replied to jacdaniel2014 yesterday saying his one day mild illness is not the same for everyone.

Christ almighty and you come in here telling everyone how you work from home, don't bother testing, take paracetamol and you'll be fine. That is YOUR experience and you seem to lack any kind of empathy for anyone else who gets hit hard with it. Like zero empathy.

Now you're throwing your toys out of the pram and putting words in my mouth saying I want everyone to mask up. At the beginning, fine. We had nothing back in 2020. But you can't seem to move on from that, can you.

And when people don't grasp your thoughts or you can't get your ideas into them, you tell them: read back what I said. You should probably read back yourself.

Stay safe behind your keyboard and find somewhere else to troll.

It's a discussion forum. If you quote someone or reply to their post, people will generally respond to it.

You're again not reading what was said, or not understanding it, or just ignoring it to make an inaccurate point - no one has said that there aren't those who are actually vulnerable. No one has said they shouldn't mask up, distance or whatever they want to. No one has said that these people shouldn't be supported (see my point above about where our efforts should be focussed)

The rest of your post is just an exercise in irony so I won't bother going through it point by point but safe to say that you're proving my point for me.

As I said, feel free to put me on ignore but this is not a blog. If you post things, people will likely respond with their own views.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

To be honest Kaiser, you are displaying great amount of arrogance in your posts. Plus of course more and more arrogance...and you should reread and reread and reread.

And when it comes to the masks, READ Sconsey's post. Pretty much sums it up.

Edit: Just my own personal opinion, because I don't need to hide behind " vast vast majority " shìte.

Post edited by xhomelezz on

The only arrogance is from posters who respond to reasonable, articulate posts from myself and others with things like ...

"Why don't you go work with covid patients in hospitals, give them some paracetamol and tell them to get up and back to work and stop milking it",

or

"You seem to know an awful lot about this. Maybe you should take over from Dr Lambert, infectious disease doctor in Dublin"

or

"That's SCREAMING lol. Good try"

or

"Stay safe behind your keyboard and find somewhere else to troll"

... and then have the neck to play the victim when called out on it - that's arrogance!

If you don't like what I post, add me to your ignore list. If however you have a deeper issue with people having different views and just want to be validated, maybe a blog or Twitter (where you can just block and delete the comments you don't like) is a better option.

To bring it back on topic though, it does seem that the same people who have issues with different opinions are also the same who were the loudest in calling for restrictions, enforcement, "follow the science", "protect others you selfish person", and what not - and not just on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Your posts assume bad faith on the part of the pro-mask side. Not only are they in error about the medical benefits of masks, but are doing so because of some emotional deficiency which has them irrationally concerned about covid OR they are doing so because they want to 'force' them onto other people, not out of a legitimate concern to protect themselves and others- but as a power trip.

And then you accuse them of "having the neck to play the victim".

You have done it again by tarring the pro-mask side with being intolerant of different opinions.

Are we intolerant of the opinion of drink drivers? Those who want to smoke in workplaces?

Of course you think your own posts are reasonable and articulate. But you writing it doesn't make it so. I have posted out what is unreasonable in your posts - the assumption of bad faith.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The "bad faith" as you call it is evident when replies to their posts are met with the above. That's not just to my posts either. There's many others who receive similarly "insightful" replies. Should we just ignore it and thank their posts instead perhaps? I will grant you though that it's not just on this topic/thread, it's all over this site these days.

You have inadvertently highlighted the real problem though - the notion of "sides" and trying to pigeonhole people based on a single opinion on a particular topic. To use your example - yes of course a drink driver is wrong to do that particular thing, but does it mean that their opinions on every other matter should be dismissed?

My replies and views on posters are based on their contributions to the topic in question and posts they themselves make on that topic . On another topic I may well agree with them. I'm someone who can never spot a re-reg or who doesn't remember usernames most of the time because I'm more interested in what they post than what "side" they might have been on in another thread.

Anyway, I'm not derailing this topic anymore. If anyone doesn't like what I post either don't reply to me, or add me to your ignore lists. Simple.

Bad faith is assumed because that's all that is displayed by the pro mask posters. You are entitled to wear a mask if you like. You can wear full PPE and wash your hands 100 times a day if you like. You can stay at home if you like. All of those are options for you to avail of if you wish.

And we're not looking for legislation to come in to force the masks off your face. That wouldn't be right.

Looking to force 5m people to do what you want is selfish.

Comparing a person who doesn't feel the need to wear a piece of cloth on their face to a drink driver is simply moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nobody's forcing 5 million people to do what they don't want. Poll after poll have shown support for some form of mask mandate.

You calling it 'simply moronic' doesn't make it so. The mask mandate legislation is informed by the same public health intent as those against drink driving, or smoking in workplaces \ bars or mandating seat belts or standards of health and safety in workplaces, or for vehicles.

After all a seat belt is just a piece of material. Yet if a back seat passenger isn't wearing one they are more likely to injure themselves and others. They didn't set out to injure anyone. They might find it an inconvenience.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

@[Deleted User] masks have generally been used in countries when cases rise and dropped when the wave has passed except in certain limited areas .

People claiming that cases rise regardless is just speculation. It could be that they do , as sconsey said , or that masks prevent it rising even higher .

@Sconsey great post .

I know what I believe is the case .

Can I prove it ? no , but it's a little more than gut feeling . Years of working in a healthservice where things would be a hell of a lot worse without them ,whatever that we find them annoying and uncomfortable.

Nobody is forcing anyone to wear them nor advocating a mandate , I wear mine when I need to and don't really bother about others . But the sheer wealth of posts on this thread when there has been no mandate for months is a little unbalanced tbh .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

To bring it back on topic though, it does seem that the same people who have issues with different opinions are also the same who were the loudest in calling for restrictions, enforcement, "follow the science", "protect others you selfish person", and what not - and not just on this forum.

Not really, you'll hardly find me calling for restrictions. And I don't have a problem with different opinions, but you don't present your posts as an opinion. Not even mentioning smart remarks regards the mask wearing injected in nearly every post.

And again, the rest of your post is showing unhealthy amount of arrogance. So yeah, probably the best is to ignore..

We don't even have to look any further than Ireland though.

No mask mandate in early 2020 and cases rised and dropped.

Mask mandate put in place later in 2020 and cases rise. Now I am not suggesting masks caused the rise but they certainly didn't stop it. And it's pure speculation to say the numbers would have been double without.

For all of 2021 we had a mandate in place and cases rised and dropped.

In 2022 we removed the mandate and cases dropped, rised, dropping again.

In work we had a period of mask mandates and then we removed it. No notable difference in the number of people catching COVID.

For something that has become the GO TO global response, I'd expect to see a lot more data that really backs it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

On your first point look at the data between Scotland and Ireland in the last omicron wave. Scotland had mask mandates we didn’t. Scotland had a longer wave, more hospitalisations and deaths.

obviously there are some caveats, but if mask mandates worked then Scotland would have been lower in every metric. We had similar waves and metrics behebend. So at a real stretch you might if you use every excuse say mask mandates and no mask mandates yield the same results. Given what happened you’d say mark mandates made things worse (lots of reasons for this too).

now I’m not saying all masks don’t work. But it’s clear 99% of what is used is useless and worse people think it offers production and become more prone to get infected (eg not social distance, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Granted you do point out that are lots of unknown variables, but it looks like you are jumping to some huge conclusion on your own there.

Alternatively you could review an actual scientific study, peer reviewed, carried out by experts in their field: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.19.21250132v3

From the abstract....We show that mask mandates are associated with a statistically significant decrease in new cases (-3.55 per 100K), deaths (-0.13 per 100K), and the proportion of hospital admissions (-2.38 percentage points) up to 40 days after the introduction of mask mandates both at the state and county level......Lastly, using a large novel survey dataset of almost half a million people in 68 countries, we introduce the novel results that community mask adherence and community attitudes towards masks are associated with a reduction in COVID-19 cases and deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Interesting. You forgot to note this is a preprint that has not moved on to peer review. It’s been in preprint for a year and a quarter. You should also read section 4 where data assumptions are.

Since it’s not moved on to peer review there are issues with their conclusions and/or methods of obtaining data. Given the length of time since it’s been in preprint I’d say this will never be officially published.

the above is true for anything at this stage. Both sides use something as fact that’s not fact. people love citing pre prints papers in review as final as well, which they shouldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Emmm it is published here: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0252315

It is cited and referenced all over the place. Methods, data and conclusions clearly documented.

How about you and your story about Scotland? looking forward to seeing some sort of expert analysis backing up your conclusions that it’s clear 99% of what is used is useless....your words. Lets not kid ourselves, you just made that up and when you get contradicted by some actual science your response is to claim both sides are not using facts. Weak.

You can't look at one mitigation measure in isolation without taking account of population patterns , travel from neighbouring jurisdictions where infections may be higher etc . Scotland has suffered all through the pandemic with its proximity and relationship to it's much more laissez faire neighbour , for example .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

Once Omicron is in a country their neighbours are not very relevant as Omicron will quickly burn through the population regardless. The real benefit of masks is stopping symptomatic people spraying saliva in other peoples faces in public. To truly avoid catching Omicron during a wave you really need to strictly isolate yourself, wearing masks in public is just maybe delaying the inevitable for awhile.

Don't disagree at all, jackboy.

Masks are never considered on their own. That delaying of the inevitable as you say , is what gives hospitals more time to react , and that is why it is used as a mitigation measure, among other measures like restricting mobility etc .

Having said that some masks properly used prevent more than saliva spray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

How many times do we have to ask the question of you people before we get an answer? If poll after poll have shown people want to wear masks then why are so few people ACTUALLY wearing them?!

Advertisement