Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

What's so tragic about it? Or does the truth hurt you and better protection masks actually work and doesn't fit with your narrative?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Mask ? Did you see the photo ? All the pipes and apparatus coming out of them . Sure they’d work but at what cost ? Look like circus clowns the lot of them

Apparatus. Did you see the N95 masks as well? N95s don't look silly on anyone. Glad you see it now. N95 masks work. Can we move on from the masks don't work talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Comic con in San Diego on Saturday. This is not a photoshop pic. They demanded that the actual costumes guests wore included a covid mask.

Calafornia is in big trouble psychology

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

What the article says is, the staff were fitted for N95 masks those who failed were given PAPRs.

"Christchurch, New Zealand. All the immigration and biosecurity staff in fit tested N95s, mainly 3M Auras. A few who failed fit test were in PAPRs"

A blanket statement saying "mask work is not true. A proper fitted mask can certainly help, but the vast majority of people 1, never got a proper fitting, 2, only wore cloth mask.

Edit: Even M95 mask DO NOT protect against gases, vapor or asbestos.

Not consider that the C19 particle is 1000x smaller that a human hair and 500x smaller than asbestos particle.

So if someone can pass a single human hair between their mask and surface of the skin, you can see how effective they are.

• Advertisement

We had over 20000 cases a day when we had a mask mandate in place. And testing had broken down so probably way more cases.

Mask mandates are irrelevant at this point. Which is why it's so baffling to see people calling for them all the time.

If they bring them back this winter, it won't prevent the 20k cases a day as we saw last year.

I'd say you're great fun at Halloween. Costume ok. Mask, no way.

Have you honestly just compared wearing a mask for an hour or so one night a year to mask mandates in society...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The still baffling thing is why this is still a debate. If FLC or anyone else wants to wear a mask, for whatever reason/justification, then there's no-one and nothing stopping them from doing so.

The issue seems to be that these people want everyone ELSE to do so as well... why?

• So they don't stand out? Irrelevant as there are still people wearing masks in shops and I've yet to see anyone complain about it.
    • Is it then maybe that they want everyone else to feel as concerned/civic minded as they do? Not possible as everyone's level of risk and thus interest is different
    • Or is it just a matter of control? That some people really have an issue with others making up their own mind and want/NEED to be told/tell everyone what to do?

Someone should do a study of that, because it's far more concerning than Covid at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

i have come across a few characters on my travels. Control is definitely up there. I have seen climate change fanatics patting covid on the back thinking that people in lockdowns and restrictions are saving the planet. Then there’s the begrudgers. In the first lockdown one nice lady had a nice smile of glee on her face while telling me her neighbour now can’t ‘swan’ off to their holiday home in Spain anymore. Restrictions have been a gravy train for some.

Post edited by Micky 32 on

Ah yes.. the old Irish trait of either trying to keep up with the Joneses, or bothering themselves about what the Joneses are getting/getting away with!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,866 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You are implying masks aren't effective against covid because they don't protect against gases or asbestos.

This is medical misinformation as explained in the links provided.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

What I replying to was. That masks needed to be fitted, as per the article.

Also that n95 mask weren't recommended for asbestos because they didn't stop the asbestos particles. I also highlighted the fact that a human hair is appox 1000x (50-90nm) larger than aerosol particle from a resting breath (resting) (0.57-0.71) just for ref the visable dust you see in sunlight is approx 500x times larger that aerobic aerosol.

In this case size matters. As I said if you can get a human hair between the mask and the surface of the skin well then it stands to reason you can get something smaller through that same place.

And as you were kind enough to attach a cdc link. I'll return the favour and link the cdc guidelines around fitting a resperator mask.

It might suprise you and others how strict the protocol is.

A few key points.

Done by a qualified person.

Not recommended for someone with facial hair.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/hospresptoolkit/fittesting.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

You weren't offered the bet though were you. The poster accusing me of screaming was. Where is the screaming, it never happened, end.

So live with it and please don't offer any more praise towards me for being "snarky" and "condescending" to other posters or start painting pictures of everyone can see me for what I am, that's bullying iIMO.

Ahh you're back and still trying to rewrite your own words I see!

You said "find one post by me.." etc, and I just copied what you said previously. Don't blame me because you can't stand over your own posts.

Anyway, I don't care if you post or not. It's not my forum or thread, but enough playing the victim. I can go back and show plenty of examples of you belittling people who disagree with you if you want.

(edited for clarity)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

4 out of 5 are not wearing masks on public transport.

Maybe it's that 4 out of 5 people want others to wear masks on public transport. Just not themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

That is actually a better interpretation of the results.

it’s a poor poll as well as I’d guess as you say above that a lot of curtain twitchers who never use public transport want them on it. Be interesting if they asked do you use public transport and want masks.

still then at most 1 in 4 want the mandates backs. But that won’t get any attention and that’s at the top end of wanting them back.

the only thing I find noticeable out of that poll is that 1% wanted masks in more places then they had in the mandates. As this thread shows those in the vast minority are most vocal and out of touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I'm a little late to the party but anyway....you are leaving out some other options:

• Maybe some people are not impressed by the mis-information/ignorance being peddled on here. I'm not trying to control the public, but I would like the public to be properly informed. I'm not going to sit-by and let the luddites claim 'masks don't work they are only trying to control you'. I'm not trying to control anyone, contradicting bull$hit is not control.

And now for some of that contradiction: so many people here are dealing in absolutes, just because a mask cannot block 100% of particles does not mean they dont work, most reasonable people know that they REDUCE the chances of being infected. Arguments that they don't block asbestos, or a small gap render them useless is nonsense, they reduce the risk not eliminate it.

Another argument seems to be the fact that huge infection numbers during mask mandate periods is proof that masks don't work. It would be just as easy to say those huge infection numbers would have been double or triple without the mask mandate. I'm not going to say that because it is pure speculation, just like the speculation that the huge numbers are evidence of masks not working.

People are welcome to do as they please regarding masks these days (in most settings), hopefully they make informed decisions. The 'mind-control' merchants need to find a better conspiracy theory.

At this point, whether masks work or not is no longer relevant. Most people have had COVID and in the vast vast majority of cases it was insanely mild. You wouldn't even need a sick day.

So obviously people won't want to cover their mouth and nose with cloth to avoid what's typically a very minor illness.

But anybody that wants to can. I think it would be harsh to bring in legislation to force people not to wear one.

Absolutely pure and utter horse **** with not needing a sick day. I know a few people out from work. One person has been out for 5 weeks. Another person has caught twice this year and has been out three weeks each time.

We don’t know who these people are who are off work for 3 weeks or what their circumstances are. I personally know of 2 gards who were milking the system. Nothing to do with covid but they were months off work with pay when they should have been back at work months ago.

My work involves dealing with the public and i meet a lot of people. Thankfully people being out of work for weeks on end because of covid is quite rare on my travels. Everyone i have known that had covid including people in their 80’s recovered quickly. I know one lady who complains of pains in her chest 6 months on but she smokes 60 cigarettes a day.

Relative outliers. A friend of mine (who has a lot of underlying conditions as is) has it at the moment. Aside from a headache and feeling sore the first day they are pretty much back to normal 3 days later.

I myself had a "dose" a few weeks ago. Woke with a headache and a sore throat and a bit sniffly. I WFH but didn't even bother taking the day off. 2 Panadol and a shower sorted out the headache and I just took some Benelyn Day and Night and Exputex for the rest. 3 days later I was grand. No need for tests, doctors, or anxiety.

There will always be some who are more affected and over a longer term but in the vast vast majority of examples this just isn't the case.

Oh wow. You know guards (but you really don't know anything about them) and they get paid for being out sick. Well, guess what not all workplaces give sick pay like that, including my own. And here you are saying people are milking the system with the cost of everything going up and up.

just like “wow “you know someone out of work for 5 weeks and someone else for 3 weeks twice. Yes there are people out there milking the system. It doesn’t seem to bother them the cost of living going up. I’m not saying some people do not get long covid but in my experience it’s not the big bad wolf that the internet tries to make it.

Nothing to do with "mind control" (and despite the transparent effort to dismiss the point as a conspiracy btw!) but one thing that became VERY clear during the restrictions was that there is a significant percentage of people who NEEDED to be told what to do by their "betters" (the Government, NPHET, media "experts" etc), NEEDED to be seen doing it, and who absolutely had a problem with those who questioned the situation and response for themselves.

The Irish as a whole want to fit in, and show off, and begrudgery is a national pastime - whether it was buying new BMWs and decking to keep up with their neighbours in the Tiger years, or twitching about what the neighbours were getting or getting away with in the Recession (even Leo/FG capitalised on that attitude with the infamous "welfare cheats cheat us all" campaign).

We don't like anything outside of the accepted norm unless it's part of a populist campaign that we think will allow us to again show how conformist we are, and Covid was mana from heaven for those sorts of people - the perfect opportunity to show how compliant, civic minded, and safety-conscious they were, while simultaneously getting to grandstand and attack others for being "selfish" and so on.

But the bottom line was and is even more so that Covid just isn't that dangerous for the vast majority of people. At most it's a minor inconvenience of mild discomfort for a few days and thus any real risk is minimal. You just can't make people be concerned about such things - especially when there are so many other far more immediate and real problems facing them (then: job loss, effects of restrictions on their lives / now: the massive costs of living, the problems being caused by the Ukrainian situation, and a very probable recession on the way), and certainly not if the main benefit is to virtue-signal more so than any medical benefit.

Still, as I have said throughout, there is nothing stopping anyone from wearing a mask or taking any other measure they want to themselves - but that is the LIMIT of their entitlement. Just as no one will care if they do such things, so too must they learn to accept that others have the just as valid right NOT to and they should - frankly - just mind their own business at this stage. As I said, there's far more important things to worry about than a generally mild illness for which we have vaccinations and treatments for.

I'm glad somebody has the answers. Why don't you go work with covid patients in hospitals, give them some paracetamol and tell them to get up and back to work and stop milking it.

• Advertisement

Try reading again - particularly the last line! If you're going to try calling someone out then at least have your facts right first.

Advertisement