Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Been traveling between Hamburg, Hanover and Berlin all week with work.

FFP2 masks worn on public transport. Nothing elsewhere, weird

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

What's weird?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭VG31

Spain and Italy look set to end mandatory mask wearing on public transport soon.

That leaves Germany, Greece, Cyprus and the state of Vienna as the last mask holdouts in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Was in Greece well the Greek islands a few weeks ago. Far more mask wearing on Irish public transport than in Greece as in thankfully very little in Ireland and practically zero in Greece. It’s being ignored completely if it’s mandatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭grizzly_beer

I live in a remote spot in the country, I work from home, I must be one of lowest risk people in Ireland for getting Covid.

I went to some concerts in Dublin recently though, I thought, thousands of people tightly packed in an indoor space? Definitely mask up, so I wore a FFP2 mask, however I was the only person wearing one out of thousands.

I know vaguely that the data supports everyone wearing masks, but is there any data / studies about my situation? Wearing a mask in a room of people not wearing masks? I want to know how much of a difference it makes for me. If it's not at all effective I could just not attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭Allinall

Covid is so last year.

Get vaccinated and you’ll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

If you're the infected one, it's effective in minimizing spread to everyone else...

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

If it's a well fitting FFP2/N95 mask you should have some protection. If it's any other mask probably not.

Purely anecdotal: I was at a comedy gig with my partner and a friend. No one except for me was wearing a mask. I sat between my OH and my friend. They both had Covid a few days later. I got it from my partner a bit later though, so it did get me eventually 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This study by Max Plancke Institute is regarded as pretty good.

Ffp2 masks apparently filter 94% of molecules down to 0.075 micrometres in size! That would be impressive if we could even visualize something that size but it is a lot less than the smallest estimated aerosol particle of Covid 19 generated https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7579175/

But I don't know what the current data is on effectiveness of one person wearing a mask among a crowd of a few thousand not wearing anything and singing and shouting at the top of their voices . I would imagine it is some protection as the masks last for 20 hours.

I do know from myself and other family members who have high risk conditions and are immunocompromised ( one very ) , that once we were vaccinated and boosted , we just got on with it . And that was multiple concerts, two festivals but only one indoors . And no masks .

None of us caught anything except a cold , but not Covid .

I would still wear a Ffp2 in healthcare settings but not otherwise anymore. Unless things change and the infection levels start to rise .

I think most healthy people who have immunity from infection and vaccination should be ok with Covid as it is now, but if you really don't want to catch it , wear the mask and avoid indoor crowded areas .

I take it you were ok after the concerts ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

It really highlighted the lack of critical thinking and common sense in the herd view on a topic. It really was a case of having to go digging for a COVID test in order to find out whether you had it but if you didn't know you had COVID, in the vast, vast majority of cases, you would've just put it down to a bad dose and not worry too much. It's a bit disturbing how .any people for some reason decided they just didn't want to catch COVID at all as if it was someone pit luck whether they would get seriously ill or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭grizzly_beer

Yeah I was fine after them, I have gone to a few in past few months.. I just have avoided getting Covid so far, my chances of getting it 99% of the time are nearly zero, but at these gigs obviously much higher. I just dont wanna get it cus the longterm side-effects from it are still a mystery. Eg. there have been studies surfacing in the past few months indicating a mild form of brain damage in people who had it, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,213 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think your argument jumped the shark the moment you trotted out tropes like common sense and herd thinking.

You didn't know how severe a dose you would be hit with, or who you might pass it on to. Or whether you have covid or just a cold or flu.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I've had it 3 times now so I think I know. Impossible to avoid

Statistically, under the age of 50 you were practically guaranteed to not end up in hospital unless you had some underlying condition. This is without vaccines as well.

To say otherwise is just blatant ignorance and hysteria. I'm just glad the whole affair is over and the masses have moved on to far more pressing issues.

Oh look, there's the nonsense word 'hysteria' trotted out again rather than responding to the points I made. We also had a 'herd mentality' in there earlier. It's like bingo.

This is what I wrote:

You didn't know how severe a dose you would be hit with, or who you might pass it on to. Or whether you have covid or just a cold or flu.

So what about everyone over 50? Or with a condition? Or a close contact of someone like that? What % of the population you think that gets us up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭political analyst

Earlier this year, I read in an article in a newspaper that a parent who happens to be a health professional said that, in relation to the Covid mask rule in classrooms, the child in primary school had been threatened by the teacher with detention and reference to the risk of the grandparents catching coronavirus (emotional blackmail, in my opinion) due to the pupil not wearing the mask properly due to difficulty with wearing it. On the other hand, in a social media comment regarding that article, a different parent said that his or her child in a different school and others were excused from the mask rule and that classmates who were wearing masks minded their own business and that the teacher intervened if a problem arose.

Obviously, it's not OK for a teacher to throw a duster at a pupil (A well-known teacher did that some years ago but he visited the pupil and the parents and apologised). So why should it be OK for the teacher in the first case that I mentioned to be threatening and emotionally blackmailing towards a pupil?

Did managers and teachers in primary and secondary schools had discretion over enforcement of the mask rule. Regarding the first child, I don't know whether mediation was implemented or whether the teacher apologised.

The teacher did what exactly? What else do you think a teacher might threaten detention to a pupil about?

In my old school you got detention for the wrong shoes!

The teacher mentioned family member as much to stress the reason why the masks was needed as any sort of 'emotional blackmail'.

Non story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭political analyst

But pupil-teacher boundaries mean that teachers are not supposed to make comments in relation to pupils' families. In most families where grandparents are still alive, the grandparents live separately from the rest of the family. Parents were able to ensure that vulnerable relatives didn't catch the virus.

Lol, thats me definitely gone so!

Good for you and would be keen to avoid if I were you. As long as you are happy and living your life.

Lots of multiple effects on various systems in the body not just the brain, cardiac , neurological, renal, immune issues , not to mention inflammatory conditions like diabetes triggered.

Having said that, they have been finding these less triggered by Omicron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Your argument stinks of 'I'll be alright", too self centered to look beyond your own needs.

What do your statistics say about those over 50? What percentage of them are likely to end up in hospital? Now what happens if that percentage all need to be hospitalized at the same time? Statistically the health service would be fsked, and people would be un-necessarily dying of a lot more than just covid.

You should really keep your 'ignorance and hysteria' notions to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It's simple, anytime someone manage to put together post containing magic words hysteria, ignorance, multiple repeats of word vast (seems to be needed, one vast is not sufficient), of course do not forget to mention "statistically" and some jump in even with "I had it three times" argument and you have a cocktail of wisdom.

But masses moved on.....😁

Can you throw out some of those statistics you are talking about there , Jimmy , about the hospitalisations in different age groups before Omicron came along , for the sake of the poor ignorant and hysterical of us here ?

I am sure it would be most edifying .

Sure, it is in the HPSC data hub and this graph would apply to the 223,000 official cases (actual cases March 2020-March 2021 likely to be multiples higher in Ireland) before vaccines were rolled out.

Categorically, definitively and expressly I will once again state that it is false and incorrect to claim that anyone under 50 is at serious risk from COVID even without vaccines. In fact, I would go further and say no one under 50 other than a tiny minority should have gotten vaccinated as statistically it would've made no difference to the health service ability to manage resources in their COVID fight.

Ah he..er ...what's that ?

Where's the full page link and context, Jimmy?

Although I give you a mark for trying !

Now if you can highlight the appropriate part and reference it .....

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

All the bedwetters delighted with the news that masking coming back ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭kirk.

The government is a pretty much saying the opposite it's rte twisting the story

Limited implementation if necessary

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,687 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭kirk.

No mention of shops this time around just public transport and health

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭glitterIsland

What's the point of a mask mandate in certain places once more when a lot of people won't even wear a mask properly or they take off a mask to cough and sneeze all over the place defeating the purpose of a mask.

Everyone has to do it properly or don't bother at all.

Advertisement