Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Asked and answered 2 pages back- and you will see why the conversation is done.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The funniest was the poll a few days ago in the journal running a headline that 79% want masks haha!

There's a simple solution, just pop one on if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Yes! he is "trolling" because he says things you don't like and he doesn't think we should all start wearing masks and be terrified and turn into extreme hypochondriacs ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

No the funniest is people who are too slow to realise that what people want and what people do are not always the same.

Hey cool story bro, pity that is all it is though, just a story followed up with a weird personal irrational reaction. If you are getting chills you may have Covid.

• Advertisement

So people want to wear masks but just won't?

That's strange. Wonder how they manage to stick the shoes on in the morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭jackboy

I think the point is that they want to be forced to wear masks. It isn’t the masks that they want, it is the forcing.

I don't know why, ask the psychologists why some people don't always do what they say.

Could it be because some morons make assumptions about them and they do not like that? You don't have to look too far for examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Can you show where exactly? If not I’ll assume you have no answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Have a read of Posts 7532 to 7541.

Pay special attention to Post 7542 & 7543.

Asked and answered.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So essentially people aren't wearing masks because of insecurity? They don't want to stand out, or worry what random strangers might think of them?

If that was actually the case (which I highly doubt - there are still some wearing masks in retail and no one bats an eye lid from my observations), then I think they have bigger issues to worry about to be honest.

I was just speculating, the other poster is convinced the poll is fake because he does not like the result, he asked me to explain the result (!), I can' I don't have a crystal ball. I was simply speculating that there could be many reasons for the poll result other then fraud.

Mind you, when you have ejits coming on here and making stupid claims about people that may choose to wear a mask....I know, it is actually the ejit making the claims that has the problems, but I can see why some people would feel uncomfortable with people like that roaming the streets. Hence the speculation.

If people wanted to wear masks they'd be wearing masks as they are entitled to.

Yeah agreed but I thought the question in the poll was about mask mandates? You are now moving the goalposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I don't know anything about those surveys but if 50% or whatever want a mandate, I'm not seeing anything like that in shops or other public places. I was in Lidl a few days ago. Three open checkouts, about 5 people in each line and I was the only person wearing a mask. So those surveys are pure and utter crap.

So since nobody wants to wear masks anymore. I'm looking at valved masks. A mask with a valve protects me but apparently way easier to breathe in because the valve let's my air out, so I'm not protecting anyone but that seems like what others want. So I might as well make it easier on myself.

As I thought. Question asked multiple times no answer given accept “polls polls polls”.

I’ve just gotten home from 2 weeks in France. I would say I saw about 20 to 30 people wearing masks over there and that included a day spent at the Tour de France which was going through a local town. Literally thousands of people and I think I saw ONE person masked! You wouldn’t think Covid had happened at all. Then today at Toulouse airport while queuing to check in numerous Irish families masked up including the one behind us with very small children wearing them. Oh yes I thought, we’re going home! Then on the Aircoach home 2 people sitting across from each other masked up, one of them double masked! What did these two geniuses spend the last 30 minutes doing? Playing some game which required them to repeatedly touch each other’s hands!! It’s great to be back in the land of fear and stupidity!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

It wasn’t. You were given a list of different areas where you thought masks should be required. It then jumped to the conclusion that if you thought they should be in healthcare we should have the mandates again.

if you look at the mandates and areas where they were required (pubs/ healthcare/ retail/ transportation/ etc) and put all together then only at most 1 in 4 want the mandates as we saw back again (essentially ticked yes to every area).

basically the poll found people thought they should be required in healthcare settings. Public transit was next, but I’m skeptical on this as it didn’t ask do you use public transit and want masks. Easy to want masks in something you don’t use. Same could be said for hospitals etc. how many here have been in a hospital in the last year? Essentially it’s click bait and a poor poll.

Also it found 1% of the population is batshít crazy and wants them on in any and all scenarios…

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Currently in the Canaries.

Had to wear them twice, once after boarding the plane in Dublin Airport.

Then taking a bus to the waterpark over here.

In both cases half the people wore them arseways anyway

The new CMO was saying something about masks. But just masks on public transport and medical facilities.

Fair enough for masks on public transport. People can be crammed like sardines. But zero guidance for other places. It's like other places are immune from covid or something. I think they're forgetting about the outbreaks in meat factories at the beginning of this. It doesn't make sense at all. It seems to be all or nothing. They want people to be sensible but that's not happening.

I don't take any of it in anymore with their awful job at the whole thing. They want people to wear masks but refuse to tell people how to protect themselves and move onto N95 masks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And anyone who is that interested/concerned/whatever can wear whatever mask they want (as they've been able to all along regardless of advice or mandates), can research what's out there and recommended (Google is their friend), and buy whatever suits them. You seem obsessed with the notion of people being told what to do on this topic. Why is that?

Plus there's a new round of booster vaccinations available starting next week for the over 60s (with younger/vulnerable cohorts being offered one next), so there's that too. That's entirely the appropriate and correct approach. Those who are potentially at greater risk are offered supports.

Maybe, just maybe the fact that the majority aren't wearing masks is because the majority of people just aren't that bothered/concerned - especially in the face of the far more immediate and real impacts of all the other issues we're facing as a country at the moment.

So now people simply living their lives like they did before Covid is “not being sensible”? Would you ever get off the stage. There are no restrictions now, life is back to normal whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I had to look at my calendar. I thought it was 2020 there for a minute. Thankfully it’s not and never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Mask BBQ’s sound like fun. Covidmeetups.com. Experience other human contact once again. Never be lonely again 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

People like you love being told what to do. I suggest start thinking for yourself. Most people feel they don't need a mask as A) They're not effective against these variants B) Covid now is no more than a cold to 99% of people. Look around nobody wears them anymore as people have finally seen the light. Move on and live your life. Hope this helps. Good day, sir/madam.

What angered you? I think you'll find that it's people like you needs to be told what to do and you don't like it one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

People like you...

A..wrong, filtration capacity of various kinds of masks is well documented at this stage.

B..I didn't check any stats on that, but I think you talk shìte.

Move on and live your life. Hope this helps. Good evening, sir/madam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Interesting paper on masking in schools ..

Conclusions We found no significant differences in SARS-CoV-2 transmission due to FCM mandates in Catalonian schools. Instead, age was the most important factor in explaining the transmission risk for children attending school.

============================================

Wow, almost like what a lot of us were saying here ... back in 2020.

• Advertisement

From the same study.....

"Experimental studies have established the efficacy of masks showing 50%–90% reductions in emissions depending on the type of mask.1–6 Furthermore, some observational studies have shown that the use of masks can be effective in reducing the transmission of respiratory viruses in certain conditions or settings.7–10."

Wow, almost like what a lot of us were saying here ... back in 2020.

Advertisement