Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jet Get Radio!!!! post here when you get something new!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I promised myself not to buy anything else...

But then Steve Bailey went and put a copy of Toaplan Arcade Garage Flying Shark/Fire Shark for the PS4 up for sale...

Bugger.

I already own their port of Battle Garegga and it's amazing

So, I'll pardon myself just this one time...

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭dav09

One final mental grail get for me until I get a mortgage, pretty much have all my grail cabs now. Yep it's another project as again I couldn't afford a fully working one, I am a sucker for pain with these big motion cabs! I'm sure I'll get it fixed up and restored but focusing on finishing the AfterBurner first. I may just use the new Smartypi on it and the new motion drive board repro, but will hold judgement until I test it. Finally pretty much have the dream lineup of games for me personally after collecting for 4 or 5 years. Look forward to potentially hosting beers nights/ meetups down the line too if people are up for those with some cool cabs when I buy a place! The storage unit is now absolutely full to the brim at the minute (thankfully so I can't buy anything else lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

ace ,i've been collection 20+ years and never managed my grail line up 1 :P :(

Same here haha.

Im pretty close though. Another 2-3 cabs I've always wanted and I'll be there.

Fat chance of getting any cabs these days for a bargain though

• Advertisement

I was fairly lucky to start collecting when I did back then towards the end of college and got a couple of grail games when they were a bit cheaper 5 years ago at a time in my life where I could instead of buying a car or what most people seem to do, eventhough some people were saying they had gone too expensive back then, got the odd bargain or two along the way too but mostly bought projects and always fancied a challenge. But this for sure was no bargain lol, it was about the same price as a nice working stand up Outrun in the UK but that still is mental money lol, sorta one last piece to probably finish the collection but I suppose there'll always be one more 'dream cab'

Post edited by dav09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Picked up a PC Engine Memory Base 128 from Adverts the other day. Been meaning to add one to the collection for years, but never got around to it. For €20 delivered I had to go for it 🙂

Not much going on inside really, apart from what looks like lots of old flux.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,390 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Got an 8bitdo NES retro receiver in the post today, connects up nicely with my fancy new RGB Famicom Top loader!

Paired it with a NES30 that I bought years and years ago when they first came out and haven't used at all really. So it's a wireless NES gaming experience that's literally years in the making!

Was playing MegaMan 2 wirelessly with it, no noticable lag at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

wow. grail cab for sure... I'm happy for you... no really ...

real ...

happy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Steam Deck arrived this morning, its a bit of a beast. Can't wait to get Atari 2600 emulation installed on it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just this morning a delivery from Steve Bailey arrived, my copy of Sky Shark/Flying Shark for the PS4.

This contains two excellent ports of the original arcade games, courtesy of M2 and their ShotTriggers series, as well as the Megadrive and NES ports, not to mention an extra game, Wardner, in both its arcade and FDS incarnations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I heard Wardner is a bit of a classic, especially the MD version. Reviewed very highly in the UK mags.

Master of the Universe

Never heard of Wardner at all. Getting that weird Mandela effect now where I can't figure out how a Toaplan US/JP Medgadrive exclusive has passed me by without ever hearing about it. 😁

I see it's pricey but not mega pricey, might see if I can hunt that down.

No spins for Olly then when I get it up and running eventually! (probably in about 3 years time with my track record lol)

Cheers though, one would def fit well in your Outrun collection if I ever have to move it on down the line!

Post edited by dav09 on

The ShotTrigger series on PS4/Switch seem to be released for normal monies but then creep up.

Ketsui Deathtiny is up around €100 now, on PS4.

I'm hoping Steve has a few over the next while, and I will pick them up.

Two so far!

The Tiger Heli one also looks pretty great

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ha, randomly picked up Wardner boxed JP version in The RAGE a good few years ago because the box art was cool. Was only around 15-20 quid IIRC. Still haven’t played it 😅

Apparently, M2 have said they are going to include Wardner in every Toaplan collection they produce, so they must be a fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Been wanting to get a CRT for a while now to plug the MiSTer into and was finding the whole thing intimidating tbh. Don't even have the SCART cable for it yet but bought that and a triple daemonbite adapter (90euro just for those 2 things all in :( ) on the weekend. Along with some very yellowed original controllers (SNES/MD/PSX - another 50euro). MiSTer with original controllers + CRT is going to be my sweet spot I think/hope.

Thought I'd have no chance with the TV tbh. Nothing going outside of eBay UK sellers and was fairly sure I'd overpay for something I didn't even really want. Was on alert for 'Free TV' on Adverts and everything, grim times.

Then saw what for me looked absolutely perfect. Was texting about it since Sunday and thought he was giving me the runaround, pretty much given up on it until he clicked - turns out the only responses he'd gotten were scams so he was a bit cold at first. Went in tonight and he was sound out - old guy who knew vaguely they can be used for old computer games and didn't want to throw it out. Price was 65, I gave him 70 but he handed 20 back.

Carted it down from his 3rd floor appt on the stairs, buckled it up in the back seat, and drove back across the city at a steady 25k/h. Was buzzing all the way tbh haha, pure excitement.

Only thing I have atm I can plug into it is an old modded PAL Wii using composite to scart but I'm absolutely thrilled with it. And the sound - only tech I was ever really early to was flat screens and I'd genuinely forgotten what proper audio from tv speakers sounds like, nearly blew my ears off.

Pictures are muck with the indoor lighting making the colour look off but it looks stunning in person imo. Really is big though, put a Wii mote next to it for comparison. How can a 21" tv seem big lol.

Just need to redesign the house so I've somewhere to put it now.

(No idea why boards flips some photos...oh probably landscape/portrait 🙄)

Post edited by Mucashinto on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I have that exact model. Survived years on the bottom of my parent’s wardrobe and in the utility room of my apartment until i moved somewhere with room to have it set up.

I love that TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭Inviere

Very nice TV, nice get. After my recent experience testing the old family Ferguson TV that was stored in the outside but dry shed, I'm going to buy a CO2 fire extinguisher for when the games room is ready for use. Just in case....

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Fair play to committing to one, I always say it but those black 90s era Trinitrons still look amazing in a contemporary setup. They're a timeless clean design.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

(God I was excited last night..😬)

Yeah, it seems way better than I could have hoped for, thought I'd be buying multiple hold overs before finding a nice one. It has 2 SCARTs but only 1 has RGB so I'm guessing you never really use it?

Up to yesterday I thought PAL Tvs would be a minefield because you hear so much about 50hz etc but saw a post that (paraphrasing) said

"European Tvs aren't 50hz, euro Tvs are PAL and PAL is 50hz. If the Euro Tv has SCART that means it will play NTSC and it will play it however it's meant."

Is that really all there is to it? I thought they'd be clocked at 50hz internally tbh.

Daemonbite adapter arrived this morning as well. No controllers yet and cable went on backorder (apparently you need a special VGA to SCART for the MiSTer to step down voltage on one of the pins?). It's a neat little thing but can be DIY'd obviously if you have the skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

The second SCART supports S-Video if you have an adapter. I used to have my NTSC GameCube hooked up to it.

The TV’s tuner is 50Hz only, but it suppers NTSC colour encoding at 60Hz via all other inputs. The colour encoding only matters for composite and S-Video anyway.

The Trinitron is, as said by others, a cracking TV and the black cased 4:3 models from that era are only bettered really by the PVM/BVM broadcast monitors, and they are savage money.

I have my 29" Trini since it was bought new, still amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The Laserdiscs I got on Adverts arrived this morning. No damage to them in transit, which is never guaranteed when sending 30-40KG of discs in a couple of boxes. I already have a couple of them on LaserDisc, but most are new to my collection.

45 movies in all for €150, plus €20 for next day pickup and delivery with Nightline/UPS.

Looks like I'll have a lot of testing/watching to do this weekend 🙂

Just was sent this first proto of TerribleFire's latest thing : The TFMSX.

A repro MSX2+ using original CPU, VDP and sound chip. Takes real carts, output to RGB and has joystick ports or USB for both joystick and keyboard. very very exciting little project

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭Inviere

Lovely, I really need to show the msx more love. One thing though, are they harvesting chips from working machines to make these?

no z80 cpu are still available , as are YM 3-8910 sound chips and VDP ICs . so no real hardware is harmed in the process of making these :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Another fine TF product :) Seen it on his channel recently alright, looks like a nice project to do in-between all the Amiga stuff

• Advertisement

Gimme a shout if you find anything you don't want and maybe we can trade a few.

I'm always after more 80s and 90s action and cheesefest movies

Advertisement