Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jet Get Radio!!!! post here when you get something new!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You absolute hero! I was worried that was going to be scrapped when the thread was closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

Precious screw plugs, can't be wasting them!

Dav09, really cool game just made for two players to blast each other to bits. Jealous of the space you have!

Geotrig I have a bunch of those screw plugs now so if you're missing any let me know. For reference they're 13mm size and fit very nicely

Master of the Universe

Just had the coolest light gun I've ever seen arrive.

Seriously heavy duty pedal too!

I've read it's a bit light hungry, fingers crossed it works as well as the guncon.

It's actually a fully licensed by Beretta, not something I've seen with a videogame product before.

Master of the Universe

Aaaand it works perfectly with MiSTer and my cabinet's monitor. Didn't have to adjust anything. Phew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

That gun is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is that a replacement for any light gun? I was under the impression one of the issues with light gun games is replacement guns are expensive and hard to find. Is this a modern replacement?

What do you mean by 'light heavy'? Sorry I'm absolutely clueless about guns!

Class that it's a licenced Beretta!

Master of the Universe

It's actually a console lightgun for the Playstation 1, a drop in replacement for the Guncon45 and Time Crisis. (Should mean it would work with the PS2 too)

I'm running it on my arcade machine with a MiSTercade, miSter SNAC adapter that lets you use console controllers and the Playstation core.

So in simplest terms it's just a playstation controller running on a playstation game in my arcade machine.

By light heavy I mean it needs a lot of light from a CRT to work, so the CRT brightness has to be really high. Some lightguns are worse than others for this. (I remember my Xbox silent scope lightgun you'd have to have the CRT dialled up to ridiculous levels of brightness!)

Luckily this seems to like the same level of brightness ad a Gcon45 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

@dav09 if by any chance there are any of the force-feedback internals left in that cab, would you mind posting pictures of the driver pcb and motor please?

You can hook up the controls to a pc easily enough with a u-hid device. If it has the same loom as ridge racer 2 I can give you the part numbers for the connectors to integrate with the original loom.

The original monitors were ms8. I wonder what happened to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭dav09

Oh wow! Yes I believe it's all still there, I noticed (glanced) inside and I seen what look like FFB boards still there (I think it's literally just missing it's monitors and PCB, everything else is there. That would be great, I didn't know it would work with FFB I was expecting without so that's a bonus if so! I'll check again when I'm at storage.

And thanks folks, it's probably going to be stored until next year and will be on the back burner for a while unless something comes up in the meantime, I usually try not to hoard but when something decent sounds like it's getting scrapped I'll always try grab it lol, even if it eventually gets moved on. But the thought of hooking up ridge Racer too emulated would be super interesting (along with Tokyo Wars), the wheels would probably feel somewhat like F1 wheels if it had FFB and same type of cab.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That gun could get you killed!

Or at least surrounded by Special Branch!

I did tell you all the story of a friend of mine who had the Gardaí called on him and his mates because they were having a game with a couple of sets of Sega Lock-Ons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Nobody has developed PC integration with the old namco FFB boards like has been done for the sega model 2/3 and happ systems so they would only be useful if you got the original namco game boards. You can borrow my rave racer cages to try it out as they support FFB.

If you go PC emulation/integration with uhid or similar it wont have FFB on your emulated version. Other than that the emulation quality is really excellent now. The latest mame version last month made improvements to shadow rendering on system22.

I'm actually looking for photos on the FFB set up myself. My namco cab didn't come with the the FFB parts but I purchased them all separately (board, motor, transformer). Would be nice to see how it all goes together.

Post edited by 80s Synth Pop on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Inviere

I could have sworn I've seen videos of Ridge Racer 2 running on converted cabs through MAME with force feedback up and running no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭dav09

Thank you! Yes I will get you some pics, I know you the machine is burrier behind an Outrun sitdown machine that doesn't easily move at the minute but will def send on some pics in a few weeks when I do a rejig.

Yeah would be cool to get FFB working, but not a deal breaking many of my machines don't have it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not as fancy as you lot, but I got the PC version of Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast running beautifully on my Steamdeck and now all is right with the universe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That game is so well coded that it still runs beautifully on modern systems with 8K support.

It is awful that Sega haven't capitalised on their racing game heritage.

From Daytona to Sega Rally, Daytona 2001 to F355 Challenge, tons of damn good titles just gathering dust or relying on emulation for a life

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Master of the Universe

Just change up a few letters in the car names, be grand like!

The sheer amount of content that'd be lost without emulation to preserve it, is scary.

• Advertisement

Certainly, I'm planning to have them all running in the coming weeks, Daytona USA 2001 especially, that game was way ahead of its time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Daytona USA 2001 was awesome. I spent so much time playing that online with a mate. Lightnings in Dino Canyon. Bliss.

New get for me today. Part of my efforts to go wireless with retro consoles.

I’ve also ordered a Krikzz Famicom RGB blaster out of curiosity. I’ve got an RGB modded Famicom and NES toploader, but also a regular AV modded Famicom that I’ll try it on.

Fresh from the 1980's, a good stash of pcbs to mess with :)

That 3 stack board is easily the biggest one I've come across, massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭geotrig

is it missing something or is there a squar hole in it ? also what is it pics are usesless on there own ...either way its a boot !

Master of the Universe

First I've heard of that Famicom RGB blaster, really interesting device. Be interested to hear you post some results when it arrives.

What game is that three stack lad? it's huge!

Anything interesting on that Konami board?

Yeah, I'll make a thread when it arrives and I give it a go. I don't even mind the quality of AV from the Famicom, jailbars and all, but I'm just curious about these kind of gadgets!

It's asterix, knuckle joe, wonderboy, City connection, commando and super hang on.

Also a really rare game, "ninja whore", where you play the part of a feudal super pimp. Actually it's just bad dudes versus dragon ninja :p

The hole in the super hang on is just so as you can access the dipswitchs beneath. The pcb is in pretty decent nick, but the best I'll probably do is connect video and power, no messing with amps.

Time to outrun a (wiring) crisis..

I've read good things about it, and considering the developer, I imagine it'll be a solid product.

Testing of those games...

Bad dudes versus dragon ninja. 100%. Japanese version.

Wonderboy. Very strange on start up, no sound and the game running in slow motion, never saw that before. The sharp chip looked crunchy so I took it out and cleaned legs. 100% then.

Pour one out for knuckle joe, completely dead.

City connection, no adapter to test.

Commando. Started off struggling to boot. Took it all apart and back together again, something still slightly off with glitchy sprites which will be the bottom board. Probably dry solder connection. Otherwise plays fine. Check out the "floorizoone" telephone number. I've traced this name and number to a bee-themed amusement park in Belgium, or the ceo of bigben interactive in France. Cheeky advertisement for bootlegs.

Asterix. Weird colours but good otherwise. Running my tongue across the board, I found that a leg or two are lifted on one of the konami chips, a bit of pressure clears it up. That's good to know, easy fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Commando - funky telephone number on the high score screen? 'Florizoone'?

Derp, I didn't see the comment in the post on the cheeky bootleg :D

I rang the number and got through to Enda Kenny. Weird conversation!

Anyway I got this in the post this morning, irem multi kit, very fast, only 3 days from the States. Marked down as 20 dollars, still had to pay 30 euro customs...

Smaller kit than I thought, two pcbs, a bunch of eproms, a gal and an mcu. Just need to get the rollup pack burned to the roms and should be all set. Will need to get a burner first though so I'll probably get it finished in about 5 years.

Super boring get. 220V Wii PSU to reduce me need for stepdowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Bit of a grail get for me, well after many years of looking out for a reasonably priced Amiga 1000 I gave up and paid going rates.

Its a pretty good one though and complete with correct keyboard & mouse (they alone go for stupid money). It needs a good cleaning and retrobriting, the keyboard is the worst part. But everything works fine on it so the only thing I need to do is change the RIFA XY caps in the power supply before they pop.

Will probably do a few quality-of-life mods like add a kickstart rom as you need to boot the A1000 from a floppy before you get to the familiar insert Workbench disc screen.

Probably also add some RAM and IDE controller so it'll autoboot to WB 1.3 from a CF card but will keeping the stock 68000 CPU in it I think.

The all important developer signatures :)

Ah great and most nice of a get - the A1000 is prob the top of my grail list (along with random PlayStation Dev equiment). Very gel 😁

Monitor come with it? Whats the box to the left of the monitor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

No the monitor is my own one, the Amiga just came with the keyboard, mouse and a kickstart floppy. The mice for these go over 100 just because the connector is at 90 degrees rather the straight like all the others, daft...

The box beside it is my multi power supply, outputs +5v, +9v, +12v, -12v, 9AC so powers all my various retro computers instead of trusting the original power supplies.

Got my RGB Blaster. I am very impressed. Works with a Megadrive 2 RGB cable. No jailbars and palette is accurate.

I did find that the AV out mod on this Famicom doesn’t work with the cart in use, so I can’t easily compare outputs unfortunately. I bought it premodded in Japan so no idea what’s going on inside.

Composite:

RGB:

Other RGB pics

Yeah nice little device that. I see there's a new firmware out for it today too

Master of the Universe

Very nice! NES games in true RGB really are a sight to behold, it's such a shame so many folks play these games locked to composite at best.

Does it play nicely with the Retrotink actually?

There's some that would say some NES games look better in Composite. Sunsoft games in particular use dithering to fake an increase in colour.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Clean RGB always trumps composite dithering effects IMO. I don't really mind losing some blending effects and additional colours, the overall visual quality is still far, far better.

Great example below if you scroll down to Sunsoft's Blaster Master.

Sure, there are some great dithering effect to get more earthlike tones, but the overall image quality looks like blurry ass.

I’ll check on my RetroTink once I get the boy to bed. Pretty sure it’ll be fine.

Famicom RGB Blaster works perfectly on a RetroTink 5x

Master of the Universe

Class! 👌

My mainline Zelda collection is once again complete... I have zero interest in collector edition stuff, except when it comes to Zelda games.

My little display unit thingy holds some of my Nintendo consoles and some of the classic mini consoles for now. I do eventually want to rebuild the games room and get everything in a semi-functional state (ready to use, but not necessarily all wired in at the same time.) I've got a fair few more machines to display though, so space, as always, will be the constraint.

Well, my rush into middle-age continues, with my latest hardware purchase being a new e-reader, a Onyx Boox Note Air 2+...

Though, as a fully fledged android device, it could play Doom!

Still, it is a 10.3" e-ink display, so I can read my books, magazines and newspapers with ease, instead of suffering like a peasant with a Kindle

Master of the Universe

Dug that lot of 3DS/DS games I bought a few years ago in a second hand shop for a fiver each out of the attic. Pretty much put them in a box after buying them and they've been there since I moved house. Hadn't a clue what was actually there.

Looks like there might be a few quid there between Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, SMT Soul Hackers and Dragon Quest VI. (which is still sealed)

Shame I couldn't buy more at the time, god knows what I had to leave behind! was literally just grabbing games at random as I was in a rush to get somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Would love to know the context in which that kind of stuff ends up in a charity shop. I mean, hopefully without vengeful exes or premature endings coming into play.

By the way, I went to CASA on Capel St after you mentioned it last time and all I found was a copy of Brain Training on the DS, was hoping lightning wold strike twice.

Master of the Universe

Yeah it still has me baffled to this day.

You'd imagine if it was a shop clearing out it wouldn't be so heavy in one of the less common genres. Which leads me to believe someone dropped their personal collection in.

Weirdly though there were duplicates and a lot of them sealed. Who knows.

That brain Training you found was probably the last game from that lot, no love for Dr Kawashima!

Master of the Universe

Found three more, Chronic Trigger still sealed.

Some faded yellow 4.99 stickers on them, must have been where the second hand shop got the prices.

No shop details listed on the sticker but they look familiar. Any idea if that was an old GameStop sticker?

• Advertisement
Advertisement