Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jet Get Radio!!!! post here when you get something new!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Yup, it's Gamestop alright. Mad they ever went for that little from that gouging hellhole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Got a big haul the weekend. Its a friends collection ill sell for him now thst hes moved away permanently

some nice boxed consoles in there I'll hopefully keep for myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

If you're moving that Master System 1 on, I'd be interested (cue vulture screech)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Ah feck it I was gonna ask about the Master System! Had a hard time trying to find a clean boxed one before Covid.

Yeah its still available

Just picked up 2 fantastic games from @Corholio

@cornholio509

Post edited by Jack burton on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Doge

You call that a knife?

I have the swiss card also, real handy!

I actually got through security with it in Cork Airport, forgot the damn thing was in my wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭dav09

Latest get for me, arriving next week is a Sega Cycraft. It's the rare Initial D version too, and can also play F Zero AX. Anyone ever play it? I doubt there's any more left here.

Had to sell off a large portion of the collection roughly 50% due to a change in circumstances earlier this year but adding a few bits again, definitely the most mental get so far for me, looking to do something community based next year and want as many DLX Sega and rare cabinets as possible, so this is a super cool one. Definitely the best motion experience I've ever played, was seen as the sequel to the R360 at the time.

Seemed to be one of the last in public operation too which is a pitty, I actually got to play the exact cabinet a few months ago coincidentally and seen it for sale recently.

All I can say is fair play to you @dav09 that some serious, serious hardware there. Awesome stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

Now that is rare beast and amazing get, take it the screen was switched? What size was in it originally, both fzero and I'd would be mad in that

Thank you folks, yeah it's a crazy get I never thought I would ever have (and working too)! Just sort of worked out as they arcade said it took up too much space.

Original monitor was 29" CRT, there's actually a lot of photos of this and it was swapped only on 2019 I believe which is a shame, honestly I think Initial D3 looks decent on a LCD but I may change it back down the line (I have a D4 twin still and it looks amazing on LCD but is a newer version designed for that). F zero then is just a ROM swap so would love to do that at some point (and yoke potentially)

yeah was wondering how it would feel without the yoke on fzero , only ever got to play it once myself.

I ,like you, think ID looks ok on LCD and is one game it doesnt really matter in the textures just work with lcd , many a sitdown cab was converted and sega or maybe it was just geezer and giz10p used to offer a conversion kit

I've never seen a F-Zero yoke for sale ever and one comes up for sale this morning! I absolutely don't have the money for it after this purchase but if no one else takes I'll I'll probably buy it in a few months. Would be super to have both Initial D and F Zero to play in Super DLX form. I never really liked club kart that much which is what most of these cabinets were seemingly.

I'm a huge Initial D and Sega DLX cab fan so this was sort of the grail of grails to get, I actually made a video of the cabinet when I visited it too coincidentally so you can see it's not a great LCD swap but that can be sorted down the line, the main thing is it plays well. Pity it was removed of course but hopefully will be publicly playable again some day soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsJRpWZdz64

make sure post up a pic of the internals for us , im just curious ,love seeing what is inside all these .

I will for sure! There's not too many photos online but the ones that are sort of scare me a little as I know it is just a Naomi in it but the motor controllers, etc seem unique to it and are apparently expensive to repair! Also the cabinet lacks FFB, I can't see online whether they all came like that or all broke and weren't repaired but we shall see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,264 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Did this come from overseas or did you buy it from a site here? Definitely not a machine I've ever seen here myself.

Looks absolutely amazing, great nick too! Really interesting that they came with a CRT. It definitely has 'the look' of an LCD generation cabinet. Doesn't really look like it's 20 years old.

Overseas! I believe there was only one here in Dr Quirkeys (but I'm not sure if that is true or not), it was close to 30K brand new so yeah, not many made and mostly apparently designed as a SDLX attraction to replace aging R360 units or other flagships. It came from Blackpool, I'm glad I ironically/coincidentally got to film it during my only visit to Blackpool last year, honestly a bit sad it seems it's not in public play anymore now but I suppose at least it can hopefully be enjoyed by people here someday rather than going to the scrap head. (this and the Ridge Racer Full Scale were loved in blackpool, and RR ended up mostly scrapped)

Yeah I definitely did and there were LCDs when it was released so it's nearly surprising they went with CRT, I suppose it was just in that transition period and is probably 4:3 output designed by default (Naomi), if you see the video I made above you can see there's a huge difference between D3 and D4 though graphics wise, D3 was Naomi and D4 was Lindbergh. It was kept in good shape, the owners really maintained it seems but said it was time to move it on unfortunately, it was off for I think nearly 3 years too before been operational again for the past year so that probably helped with its condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Doge

Thanks to @sniper_samurai for the heads up on the Atari 50 deal in smyths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Picked up Bounty Hunter Sara (バウンティハンターサラ?) is a 2001 "adventure novel" game, not much playing it witjout a translation so was for the name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sorry for being off topic!

Hi lads. Hope ye are all well.

I have a good few ads up at the moment. I'm moving to London in under 3 weeks so moving on some stuff.

Will give decent deals to boardsies of course :)

http://www.adverts.ie/30218648

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Not arcade nor retro but I am like a kid at Christmas. There goes all my other gaming plans for the next six months!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,862 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can't even think about playing other games because of this....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Cidonalad is playing it right now.

I will get to it, eventually, but right now I have just started the System Shock remaster, which is pretty nice.

Some are critical due to some old gameplay mechanics, but I am of a more resilient vintage and enjoy it regardless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

"Just because" - got a boxed SCPH-1010 PS1 controller and a HVC-051 Famicom network controller.

The Famicom network controller would have been used in Japan with their 'Computer Network System' ('88 to '91) to allow folks use stock brokering and banking services and even for horse race betting services towards the end. It's of zero use now, but will look cool on a shelf.

MonkeyKube on Adverts threw in a PS1 memory card boxed also, a nice surprise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Dublinandy3

This looks pretty nice. I've not bought anything retro in a year, mini machines aside. Looking at this is triggering my desire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

M72 kit from USA

T48 programmer from UK

Eraser from France

42pin adapter from China

Pulled together in Ireland to play ancient Japanese games!

Had a few problems at first but it's all good now, massive 5 stack board. All games tested working 100% so far.

Air duel good

Rtype good

Mr heli good

Dragon breed good

Cosmic cop good

Harry good

Image fight good

Tonma good

Ninja spirit good

Rtype 2 good

Xmultiply good

Pound for pound good

Picked up a 3rd party 'Hyperkin' controller for the TurboGrafx-16 I got from Ciderman to replace the NEC 'TurboStick' which came with it. Those are just shocken controller, unsure how folks used them. The Hyperkin controller is grand but I'm sure an NEC controller would be a lot better but as the controller is US specific they are still pricey so the cheaper controller will be grand. Ended up playing 'Devil's Crush' pinball for longer than I had time to :)

Picked up this little beauty. Need to pick up a few goodies to go along with it, so all going to plan there'll be a thread for it over the next while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Currently visiting my girlfriend in New York and just picked up this piece of hot garbage for a reasonable price.

If you're ever on Long Island you have to check out Retro Source in Farmingville.

I mean... What's not to love about a Saved by the Bell themed wall?

Post edited by MrVestek on

Nice get on the 32x, we all know the reputation it has but I still think it's a cool piece to have. They're region locked just so you know, but like most retro gear, there's some nice mods out these days to get around such silliness (switchless mod kit). Or, just set your Megadrive to Ntsc/60 and the 32X will be happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I know but I have installed a switchless region and video mode on my Mega Drive and an Everdrive to use it with, so I'll be fine.

I'll just convince my Mega Drive that it's a Genesis and we're gravy.

Picked up a really dirty (but supposedly working) NeoGeo MVS MV1A JAMMA board from Italy. It is manky, I foresee a lot of isopropyl alcohol being used.

Also thought it was time I give this a go, all the bugs are sorted now right?

Master of the Universe

The PCB itself might be clean enough once you remove the plastic cart slot. Bit of dishwashing liquid and that'll look grand.

Re Cyberpunk, I tried playing it a few months ago and they still need to iron out that bug that seems to be making it a really bland game. 😁

Don't know what it is but I just can't get into it at all.

I think people were unhappy with the performance of the game on PS4/XBONE but I imagine it's patched at this stage.

For all the grief Rockstar get over GTA V, it's mental that a game from 2013 has more depth and polish than games like Cyberpunk or the Saints Row reboot. Has there really been a good triple A sandbox game in recent years? Last I played was Mafia 3 and that wasn't great.

Breath of the Wild raised the bar in world building, in context of keeping the player engaged with it. This old dinosaur still prefers linear story driven narratives, rather than 60 hour fetch quests.

Master of the Universe

I loved Breath of the Wild and I'm currently loving TOTK, but with a catch - they still don't feel like Zelda games to me. I was hoping this would change over time while my brain got used to this new angle, but they're just too far removed.

TODK has been quite bitter sweet in that regard too as it's somewhat solidified the fact that this is probably how Zelda games are going to be now into the future. Was really hoping we'd see some lessons learned and more traditional Zelda elements make their way back.

Same, though I've no played TotK yet. I can see the evolution and mastery of the format, and maybe linear based Zelda games simply reached a point where they HAD to evolve. I'd lament the loss of the old format though, primarily because I'm just not that into open world games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,738 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cyberpunk’s blandness was always its fatal flaw - there was a shrug of a game underneath the fancy, crashing-to-dashboard exterior. I’d hold off playing until the update to coincide with the expansion as to be fair they seem to be giving it a pretty thorough systems overhaul - important as the RPG elements were utter shite in release version. Also, I would entirely hold off until you can play it on PC or next gen consoles - PS4 and XB1 versions are still a mess.

TOTK on the other hand is an all-timer masterpiece. I think they’ve taken the fundamental ideas of Zelda and blown them up in a way that feels radically different yet still true to the spirit of the games - especially early Zelda. And there’s a lot in TOTK that harks back to the days of authored Zelda more than BOTW. Still is a fundamentally different game to something like Wind Waker, but there are cooler setpieces and unlockable powers throughout TOTK.

I think I'd need to wait until I'm either let go or fired from my job before I can really play the most recient Zelda games, both in the 50 hours for the main story/objectives with the high 100s for all the other bits.

• Advertisement

Yeah the time is what puts me off most sandbox stuff.

Days Gone is a bloody 40 hour story, didn't even attempt to play any of the side missions or anything. Absolute chore to get through it.

I liked Horizon Zero Dawn, at around 20 hours it was enjoyable and I didn't get bored of it so happy to go through some side missions for a bit more playtime.

The time to complete is definitely something I'm more aware of these days, there's a few games that were cheap that I skipped over due to lengthy times.

Master of the Universe

The 'ooooh' 'ahhhhh' wonder I used to get with open world games, specifically thinking of things like Fallout 3 is long gone at this stage. I used to spend hours walking around the wastelands in that game amazed by everything.

Definitely find open world just a bit of a chore these days. Really don't have time to sit down to play a game for an hour not to achieve anything other than walking around a massive landscape.

It's definitely a 'me' problem though and not the game. Could imagine getting totally lost for months in things like BOTW as a kid when I had all the time in the world to kill!

Absolutely, this is definitely subjective. There's kids out there right now absolutely lost in the land of Hyrule playing TotK, and that's how it should be I suppose. Me, like you, if I've got an hour or 90 mins even to play a game, I like to complete something in it...be a dungeon, a chapter, something. Wandering around for side quests isn't something I ever really bothered with, even in games that floored me like LttP and OoT.

I think the last big budget linear narrative game I played was Last of Us 2, and I loved every minute of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I think my affection for TotK/BotW stems from the fact it’s exactly the kind of game you would’ve bullshitted about on the yard on your break in school, if that makes sense.

Im saving all those open world games from when im bedridden and have nothing else to do🤣

Took a trip down to my local GameStop Saturday and here's the walls.

Got talking to the manager who'd knowe from coming in the last 20+ years. Turns out his parents come into me in work. Told him i want to get some more of the shelving.

Ended up with my van absolutely packed with the wire shelving and the flat back shelving about a ft deep. Absolutely delighted with it. Heading down Thursday to collect the wall bays and ill hopefully be able to pick up another few of them on the day and make a really cool display wall at home

Something nice to me about having some of the fittings from the shop I spent so much time (and money) in over the years

Yeah that's something a bit special, it's a little piece of time and nostalgia preserved with you now. You'd be missing a trick if you didn't call your new display the White Tiger ☺️

• Advertisement

Just arrived from @Jack burton

I reluctantly bought an unboxed Master System 1 in 2019, couldn't find a decent boxed one at all. Not even being fussy, just wanted something mostly complete in decent condition. They were always seriously ripped up or had spills/stains. On top of the fact the first gen console was nowhere near as common as the second gen and even those were in bits. They were never half as decent as a Mega Drive.

The final addition to the boxed Sega consoles that I want.

It was like Christmas day unpacking this, haven't had my hands on a nice console for 4 years!

Glad it got there safe and went to a good home

I don't think there's too many big Atari fans here, but I am, so what the hell. Picked this up today...

Came up mint after a scrub. It's fully boxed, but the rubber in the cables is starting to react with the box innards, so I'll leave it out from now on. Complete with the light gun and joystick too. Delighted with it, never seen one in person until now.

I have an 800XL to pair it with, which I think is the slightly more desirable of the two, but seemingly this has a nicer composite output.

Post edited by Inviere on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That is a beautiful looking machine, well bought.

I'd suggest getting a flashcart for it, some SD solution

Master of the Universe

Wow that's lovely, don't think I've ever seen one of them before. The design with the pastel colours really is something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement