Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

I have two pairs at home you are welcome to either if you think they are similar to what you’re looking for and can’t get the others in your timeframe. Drop me a PM and I’ll chuck them in the post if you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

I was offered one by my AD but turned it down.

As I have stated I like my watches slim and this is just a little too thick for my tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I like it. Cant afford it but I get it. RM are actually innovativee with their use of materials and designs. They are not to my tastes andmassivelyy overpriced, but thats an impressive bit of watchmaking. Tried on my first RM recently in Belfast an RM11 and it did exactly nothing for me. However if you want to wear a house on your wrist both in value and size for a lot of them...then rock on and more power to you.

I am a big fan of formula 1 and everyone...all the drivers, owners, managers and team leaders wear RM....its really taking that motorsport crown. And Rapha rocks his one...but he is rapha the GOAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Not overly exciting, I thought it would be something a bit more special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I saw the phrase 'butt-plug hour hand' posted in relation to this on reddit and now cannot unsee it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Tragically boring....as if an explorer was not plain enough, lets take it to another level of bland.

I like it.

Not serious, the only way to make the ranger more boring was to turn it into a “collection”. Zzzzzzzz

The handset ruined the last one and continues to ruin this one for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I was really, really hoping for a polar Blackbay Pro 😕

Same, I’m sure it will come just 12 months later. Same as the black and blue 58. Otherwise it’ll tank the demand and resale price of the other too soon.

Cruel how the press teasers for this were literally polar exploration 😂

Jesus maybe it’s actually alright as that lads sense of Style is questionable

Yeah I’d written it off but if he’s against it I nearly have to like it out of principle

I prefer it to an explorer and spec wise is no different, plus it’s €3k versus what €9ish for an explorer .I’d definitely take it over an explorer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I like it, there's a time and place for a simple or plain watch that is understated and doesn't shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Just got a text to say I owe customs on two kids tops which I shouldn't as they are supposed to be vat free under 12.

Do I remember someone here getting charged for books despite them also being vat free on import and claiming it back

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

oops, delete please

I posted about being charged vat on two books from the uk.I didn’t argue it and just paid it as I wasn’t prepared to deal with what would no doubt be a long drawn out disagreement and having to prove customs wrong .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

That must be what I was thinking of, il pay it either way as still a good price but hate paying when I shouldn't.

I actually spoke to someone in customs a couple weeks ago about school uniforms being shipped to me from the UK and they said that an post still haven't got to grips at all yet with what should and shouldn't be subject to vat.

She reckoned you are far better off using one of the big courier companies instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I am reasonably confident that if I buy from Norway that there's no VAT or Duty as it's an EEA/EFTA? Am I correct in that assumption? And if I am, can someone do me the favour of talking me out of buying another Sinn U2 😮😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Quick question/looking for advice. So I’m very much leaning towards a Panerai as my next watch, a Pam01085 specifically. Looking for advice as to where I should purchase, so I live/work in Saudi Arabia with resident status, and over the next few months I’m currently in Italy, and between august/September I’ll be in Dublin, Edinburgh, London, Paris and New York. Should I be buying in the eu and getting a tax refund as a non eu resident? Is buying in the states cheaper/less tax? Or should I be buying in a London through a grey dealer? Assuming I’d have to buy retail to avail of any tax refunds in eu, what discount would one expect retail? Any tips greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Buy retail and claim the VAT back. Someone in here got one I think with 20% discount a year or two ago in Weir's, but that would be very best case scenario. Ask for the 20%, negotiate, see how much you get.

Are you sure about the 1085 though? It looks nice but it has a sausage dial, not the sandwich dial Panerai are famous for. It's a bit like buying a FWD BMW 😂

Is the difference that much when they’re infront of you? (Not side be side) And how much more is the equivalent sandwich dial?

Will weirs be willing to give a healthy discount and then also complete the paperwork for a tax refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Weirs probably isn’t going to be the place to get a healthy discount. Presume you can buy pre owned from watchfinder and still reclaim the vat ?

go for the 1313

are second hand goods available for vat refund? I thought not, and you need to have a retailer that is setup for the tax refund scheme or is it just a matter or presenting to customs at the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Not sure actually maybe not. Could be worth an email to wf and co anyway.

In UK for sure second hand goods are not available for a tax refund. Resellers pay VAT on the margin not the sale price

I’ve the 1084. Same watch , different colour dial . Sandwich dial is nicer but certainly wouldn’t let the sausage dial put you off. The panerai that made panerai famous has a sausage dial and the 1086 is the closest in appearance to it . The 1086 is same as 1084 just without small seconds.

I reckon you could get 10% off in weirs but if you are going to Italy , try get to Florence and go to the panerai flagship store / museum and buy one there .That’s my plan for my next Panerai purchase anyway .

• Advertisement

If the sausage dial bothers you how do you feel about the snap on case back and 100m water resistance for a panerai ? Entry level panerai is going to be about comprising

Advertisement