Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

3!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Steinhart just announced this Blue and Grey GMT and I have to say that I love it! I'm telling myself that I don't need it, but the want is strong....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Love the navy blends nicely with the dial, not too sold on the taupe though. Maybe it'll grow on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

There are a heap of lads queuing up to bring 10.5k cash to a 0 feedback seller of a new sub on adverts, hopefully it’s genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,756 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Retail is €9750, so €10500 second hand is really cheap. Cheapest on chrono by a long shot is €13500. So yeah if it's genuine you'd be in the money for at least a grand - maybe even two, instantly. No wonder that lots of potential buyers including well known second hand watch dealers are falling over each other trying to buy this.

It's in remote Donegal though and indeed a zero feedback seller. And there are extremely good fakes about. I would want this watch officially verified before I'd buy.

• Advertisement

Yep I’ve been in one or two situations in the past on adverts that I wasn’t entirely comfortable with so make sure to be extra cautious these days.

But is it underpriced is the question……c24 is overpriced (it’s 90 percent dealer). Take the cheapest and take off 10-20 percent and you are in the ball park then for a risky private sale.

This is a big standard **** submariner. Submit a request to watchfinder and a few more dealers and see what they are paying. I suspect 10.5 would be the high end of it.

People lost track of the value of their watches and want to sell at dealer value.

Yes also true , and is anyone even buying at dealer prices any more

Of course it is underpriced, @893bet. Why do you think a long time well established watch dealer is offering full asking price, even offering to buy the seller's other watch as well, which is probably the most undesirable Rolex sport? How about the millions of people worldwide on the waiting list for one, going through insecurities and humiliations and an eternal wait, would they do that just to save €750? I don't think so.

Watch is marked as sold now. Sure hope it wasn't a scam and that a greedy buyer did not get burnt.

Oh wait, I take that back. Look at the buyer's history. He deserves it 😂 Hmm some of his history has been deleted. Let's just say he's not a very pleasant character...

• Advertisement

I don’t think it’s as underpriced as you all think.

Yes a dealer can buy this at this price and should be able to sell at a profit. They need the profit as they have overheads/reputation to maintain/guarantee/warranty etc.

Can the average person buy and expect to sell for a profit. Maybe, but In a failing market….

The dealer buy price and the private market selling price should be very close. In a functioning market the private sale price should be more than the dealer buy price and less than the dealer sell price. The rising market the last few years distorted that a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Youre probably right , watchfinder were offering between €11850. & €12250 when I checked in the middle of June and that will no doubt have dropped by 10% ish now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,465 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A question for the technically minded amongst us. I have a watch build planned and I have a fairly basic set of tools including a semi decent set of screwdrivers.

Can I ask what folk here would consider as "must-haves" for a decent tinkerers toolset? If an end goal is ability to at least reset keyless works, regulation and basic servicing of 3 hand movements?

I already have a decent set of magnifying loupe (thanks to advice from Fitz a while back)

I'm planning on using a couple of scrap movements to practice on and hone my skills with. Not to service my own decent pieces, rather to be able to at least put together and regulate my own 2836 GMT based build.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭micks_address

Just looking at adverts and tz forums and lots of people are selling Rolex... Haven't seen that many for sale since I got into watches a few years ago

just bumping this - i sent it to the 'Seiko Boutique' in Dublin and they are going to assess and repair if necesary under warranty... its 2 years next friday so just in the nick of time.. will post on the experience with them... i posted the watch to them and got an email today saying they had received with the service invoice/details etc..

In non-watch related chat. My wife's surgery is tmrw. Still a limit on visitors in UHL. As it stands she will check in, go to the pre-op ward and be placed on a ward after recovery and won't know what ward it is until she gets there. One of the nurses from the Cancer team have already been in touch with me directly to let me know that she will ring me as soon she's in recovery room with info on her ward and that I can visit her as soon as soon as she's moved.

It's a month since the official diagnosis and if we'd not been on holiday in the interim? We'd likely already be a week or so into her recovery. The HSE can be a quagmire but I am glad to see that urgent/emergency cases are so well handled.

It's in the lap of the gods now, I don't do prayers but? I have trust in the team looking after her and that will have to do.

In actual watch related news? The new to me Sinn is still in Oslo 😕 and after looking at my parcel tracking app?

I may have far too much horological stuff on the way 😂 I have bought a 2824 clone to practice movement disassembly and assembly on. Thinking that after I build the planned GMT that I can dabble with doing some jobs on my low end bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Good luck Banie and Mrs Banie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Good luck Banie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Good luck both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Indeed, all the very best to you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I hope all went well today. Best of luck to both of you.

Thanks all for the good wishes. Really is very appreciated and has put a bit of brightness on this for me and for Grace.

The op went well and she is already up and about and looking quite bright.

Fingers crossed they got it all and until we are told different?

We are going to assume they did 😉

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Already up and about. Strong isn't in it. Not a shock. 🙂

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

She is both stubborn and headstrong 😉 and I don't think I'd have her any other way.

question for the knowing... looking at a grand seiko quartz... am i daft? upsides is it very pretty to look at - thin.. runs very accurate... but i know in my heart if i want to sell on which in fairness ive a track record of doing.. it would be a tough sell here or anywhere probably without taking a loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@banie01 Good news, indeed. Thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement

That's why I have never leased or financed a car either 😂

Each to their own though, if you like a watch and can afford a substantial loss on it by owning it for a while, power to you. Go for it.

Advertisement