Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭kirk.

I don't follow COVID much but why is there still so much workforce disruption if the illness is now mostly mild

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Because while the legislation may have been removed, the advice is still to stay home and test/isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭Micky 32

If you tested positive and weren’t even sick you’d have to stay home. It’s not the illness itself it’s the workforce rules.

When will the work disruption ever end if covids not going away ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭growleaves

People poison themselves with bad food.

Junk food = inflammation

High blood pressure on its own not such a big deal, manageable. High blood pressure with inflammation = "muh immunocompromised!"

Post edited by growleaves on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Exactly my point Kaiser .

Phil is representing but not' representative' of every nurse and healthcare worker out there . Just as the teachers unions were representing what many of their union members were saying but not all.

Can't fault them for doing what they are paid to do whether we do or don't agree with everything.

I don't agree with the mask mandate being looked for but I think much of it is raising awareness that there are still pretty major impact on health services due to the higher numbers of cases , and trying to get the government to do something . Maybe they do believe it will make a difference . I am not convinced at this stage except continuing it in healthcare which is appropriate.

We have gone from a situation where the service was recognised as being in crisis for the last few years to the old " head in the sand, nothing to see here, health service is coping " attitude from the minister and the government because they are unable to address it properly.

I am sorry you had a bad experience , but that is a personal anecdote and does not represent fairly what is going on in the health service .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Error

The government has got a quick fix fix now for the winter healthcare crisis

Impose a mask mandate for the flu/COVID every winter

I'm not liking the look of that , I think it was varadkar said they don't use mask mandates for flu but now I'm doubting it.

Its just too handy for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

It doesn't but it's a good dress code to get behind

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It was either this or invest in the health service

Businesses and individuals who participated in medical discrimination towards fellow Irish citizens should be given a one way ticket to China.

Politicians who advocated for segregation should never be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

One industry that boomed during COVID was shoulder chip making. People really do need to let things go, especially decisions and opinions offered during a period of a heightened level of public panic. These don't matter anymore. It is now very much if we had known then...

It's comical really the unions calling for masks

It's not like they have any medical expertise to be making these judgement calls

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We've been saying this in the thread for over a year now. The threat Mask mandates are forever. Even if Covid disappeared, when the hospitals are inundated with winter flu patients, government can introduce mask mandates to show the media that they are "doing something".

I believe this will happen unfortunately

It's not like anything is gonna change with hospitals and ICU

Anyhow as long as decision making is directed by the CMO there's some reassurance

Left to policians and union leaders, they'll go with whatever way the wind is blowing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Well the general secretary of the INMO is Phil ní Seaghda a former ICU nurse so your statement isn't overly accurate

What she lacks is the political expertise that restrictions have on votes

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Drunken Oaf

Christ I hate this attitude. "Mistakes were made, there was some over reaction, but we're back to normal now so let's just put it to bed".

For a start we're not back to normal. We are living daily with the economic hangover of long lockdown, mass money printing. We are living under the constant threat of returning to some form of restriction this winter. Now, if we return to masks it wont affect me as I simply wont wear one and wont do business with any company which demands I do wear one (I might also sign on illness benefit with depression or try organise a strike if my work sector demands we wear them. I'm not wearing them, I would wear them if they worked so as to kill off this bastard virus, they don't work, that's the end of the matter).

But we also live with the threat of some sort of lockdown lite this winter. Possibly restricted capacity on sports and gigs, nightclub closures, pubs on restricted opening hours. With nobody under 60, and a good cohort over 60, having any interest in taking their third and fourth jabs (I took the first two. I was lied to. Fool me once and all that) the idea of vaccine passports is not as dead and buried as it seemed in January 2022.

What would I like?

I'd like to see several government, media and NPHET figures prosecuted and hopefully jailed on the charge of (at the very least) using a public comms network to broadcast material that caused needless worry and distress. I'd face charges if I sat at home calling old people pretending I was a guard and telling old people their son/ daughter had been found dead- I don't see why scaring the elderly population witless on RTE with tales of impending doom and death should be any different.

• Advertisement

Actually will be interesting to see the level of compliance if there is a mandate

As a nation we tend to be more compliant than the British for example

I know I'll certainly be reluctant to wear one in retail and will flout the law

It amazes me the contempt Ireland has for Boris.

England will never, ever go into any form of lockdown again while he is in charge. Under Weird Keir they likely would have been in lockdown after even we exited it. Throughout lockdown it was clear as day Boris was missing having a pint as much as the next man and desperately wanted pubs re opened. In this dump it was plainly obvious MM couldnt care less, while Leo just flew to England when he fancied a music festival while keeping them shut here.

Whilst I agree with a lot of what you said, where is the threat of a "lockdown lite" this winter? Absolutely no evidence of this

What I don't understand is why they're calling for masks. It's like the boy who cried wolf at this stage. They did the exact same thing earlier this year, didn't get their way, and cases, hospitalisations, etc fell off a cliff. So the evidence is there that things will improve anyway without masks. So is it purely theatre to appease some of their members? Cause the statistics have shown us that masking isn't going to alleviate the problems in the health service, the decline will come naturally

• Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This one foot in one foot out nonsense regards to covid is simply not sustainable.

Allowing a situation develop where otherwise healthy people can obtain a nice break from work on production of a positive test is going to have many critical services creaking.

Wtf is even the point of these never ending cycles of vaccinations?

Where is the evidence?

There are lunatics in positions of influence who believe we should never have fully left lockdown.

They believe pubs, clubs, music festivals should have never re opened.

I can see it panning out one of two ways-

• we all get infected by these summer waves, meaning as we hit the winter we all have immunity, thus there are no winter surges
    • more likely- there isn't a real epidemic of it at the moment. This winter cases soar and the lunatics use it as an excuse to bring back mask mandates and, at the very least, shut nightclubs, restrict gig and sport capacity, 8pm pub closing.

Tie that in with the fact nobody can be arsed getting vaxxed any more, by October/ November Leo will be on TV spoofing about how this could all end tomorrow evening if only 95% of us would get vaccinated.

Remember- at the roll out of the vaccines, the target was 88%. We had hit circa 94% by September.

What did Leo do?

Gave an interview to German media stating we would be fully back to normal if only the pesky 6% of conspiracy theorists weren't holding us hostage.

Then we somewhat fully re opened for about two weekends, then shut down again. Only the Gods delivered the beautiful natural vaccine of Omicron, that pretty much the whole population caught and delivered to reality to all but the most ardent Branch Covidians that this thing is largely harmless, we would have been in some form of lockdown up until April.

People wonder why there are empty units on our shopping streets and our shopping centres. Who in their right mind would rent a unit now, anybody with sense will hold off to see how these incompetents handle the next two winters.

Indeed. And those that don't want to wear masks every winter can be vilified and held responsible for the state's failures to provide a sufficiently capable healthcare system. And the usual useful dopes will be in full vocal support.

Wins all round.

Makes no sense to my untrained mind

Disruption to business over a mild highly contagious virus

• Advertisement

Could be they will have it as an advisory

Less backlash for politicians

Advertisement