Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

Some people have the mental strength of a duck...

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

The only seasonal flu spreading like wildfire during the summer, I wonder what's been added to the equation to make that happen. However according to the studies, coming september, the majority would have developed natural immunity rendering useless an additional booster, but hopefully they will mandate face co(w)ering again, we've seen how well those work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I thought with these variants getting milder and more transmissible we'd be letting it rip

Why is there still so much disruption to work for a mild variant and talk of mask mandate return?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is no talk of mask mandate return, save from the usual media suspects. There is a plan to have legislation ready to go if and only if health advisers suggest there is a need for a mandate. The levels of infection from March of this year with no restrictions are an indicator that it will take an enormous level of infection for that to happen. Otherwise COVID is over and probably now being overtested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Winter will be interesting

I think it was varadka said they don't "mandate masks for flu"

There'll probably be a clamour for masks for flu/COVID

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Caquas

The Government says 46% of the population have received the second booster. It is offered to those aged 65+ and to those with a weak immune system. There are 637,567 people aged 65+ in Ireland (19.1% of the population).

Does that mean over a quarter of Irish people have weak immune systems?

And I thought we were a hardy breed!

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/government-to-focus-on-booster-uptake-as-it-prepares-mask-legislation-1326853.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Come winter, with people struggling to heat their homes and food shortages due to the policies of the past 2 years and the Ukraine/Russia conflict, I'd say Covid and masks will be the least of our problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

Restrictions coming back soon. Oh, how some posters will squeal on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

• Advertisement

Why are vaccinated people the only ones in hospital now directly due to Covid?

"His weekly report, compiled last Friday, said of those in hospital of all ages directly due to Covid at that point 46pc had received a booster vaccination, 19pc had completed primary vaccination and 35pc were partially vaccinated."

Pandemic of the vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The danger is that these "something must be done!" cries from Unions, the likes of Pat Kenny and others start to feed on themselves until it starts to look like as though it's a demand from the general public.

Then our weak, ineffective Government - ever keen to be seen to be "doing the right thing" as we know - bow to pressure and boom... Covid is a "National Health Concern" again with everything that brings.

THAT is why they are putting the option of mask mandates back on the books - nothing at all to do with foresight. There's probably already been a deal done with teacher unions for the return to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No, it's just those who are deemed statistically at risk, age being one factor and the other key one is underlying conditions, which can affect those groups disproportionately.

But very recent history would suggest that government will ignore these calls and act as they see fit - earlier this year for example all and sundry were screaming for masks and they didn't cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And yet now we have mask mandates being put back on the books.

If the idea was to be prepared, they simply would have reworded or introduced new legislation in place of that which lapsed a few months back, not now amid the growing calls to "do something!" from various quarters.

It's softening us up for the inevitable. Tried and true tactic - release statements, get the public debating it and gauge the mood. Release a somewhat watered down version in the end so we all feel we got off easy.

Maybe so, who knows. I just don't understand why the government would introduce masks unless the situation is much much worse than it was earlier this year when cases, hospitalisations, icus were high and they didn't act at all.

In all likelihood we're not going to reach those numbers again. And, for clarity, I don't even think the situation was that bad per se, as we know "de numbers" are largely skewed by incidental cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Bloody degenerates putting pressure on the health system, they should pay for their own medical expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's a fair point, we had a peak of 1600 in our hospitals in March and they didn't reintroduce an. Maybe I was being a bit pessimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

We have only half in hospitals compared to that last peak of 1600. You’d swear there was 3000. That wan crying again on the news. Worst June ever for hospitals blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Caquas

You may be right although it would be an example of very poor communication from a government Minister. “46% of the population” is very different from “46% of the minority who are eligible”. No one in the media has picked up on this confusion (further evidence that our media want to forget the whole COVID problem).

I now see this report which seems to show that only 9% of those aged 12+ have received the second booster. 9% of the population 12+ would equate to around 48% of the population 65+ .

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/vaccination/covid-19vaccinationuptakereports/COVID-19%20Vaccination%20Uptake%20in%20Ireland%20Weekly%20Report%20Week%2025%202022.pdf

There was an extremely high level of take up of the vaccine originally - almost 100% in some areas - so I am flummoxed by this low level of take up amongst older people and the most vulnerable. If that is true, it should be headline news (add it to the long list of major issues which the media ignores)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I can assure you that nothing I write is from a HSE press release 😯

All my own work and opinion and I took time to back up everything with recognised validated research .

The fact that you do not back up anything while it doesn't mean that your opinion is less valid , it does mean it is just that , your opinion . And thus subjective .

Micky...I am gobsmacked by your misinformation in this post!

It is not Covid numbers they were talking about but people not even admitted to a bed waiting on trolleys etc . These are the worst trolley numbers for a summer month . Not unusual Wintertime but would even then be considered pretty awful .

Totally fvcked up situation and really nothing to do with Covid , just shows how bad things have gotten in( Beirut ) A&Es all over the country for it to be like that mid summer .

Somebody has to call it out or they are not doing their jobs as reps.

Paul Reid will be gone fishing with a big wad under his belt and the issue he was employed to fix is worse than ever !

It actually was a typo it should have been beds at the end of hospitals in my post , it was typed in a hurry. what misinformation? She never stops whinning. . Is she a friend of yours? God help us if we did have 1600 in hospitals.

So what is going on in A&E’s? Why are they so busy for June? Why are so many beds needed?

Haha it was misinformation until you explained your mistake . Now just an error , I accept .

On Phil...Her job his to highlight any issues in the healthservice that need attention and represent nurses who pay their union dues .

No , not a friend don't know her at all, although I have a healthy respect for her, but like many nurses feel that her and the union back down too quickly on most issues. Patricia King is my hero !

We probably will have 1600 on trolleys by years end at this rate .

And finally ....catching up with patients post Covid , who are all presenting to A&E because primary care has shut their doors due to recent high numbers , so nowhere else for sick folk to go .

What's your solution instead of always whinging about INMO?

Next time you or a loved one are sitting on a chair ( no trolleys available) in a crowded understaffed A&E , waiting , and waiting , maybe you will think " yeah the INMO were right to be giving out about this shxt show! Maybe I should have gotten on to my td about it instead of whinging about union reps doing their jobs ?"

I guess you haven’t heard. The health system is supposed protect the people not the other way around. Don’t blame me or others for that **** show. Less of the condescending BS thanks.

The government have repeatedly told her that mask mandates are not needed at this time. Phill needs to respect that decision and give it a rest.

How can the health service protect anyone if basic staffing and bed numbers aren't met ?

It's not condescending any more than you are being extremely obtuse and minimising . . And neither of us were talking about " mask mandates " ..I understood your first post was about Phil talking about people on trolleys, which you say was meant to be talking about " beds " ? Which is it ?

I certainly wasn't talking about a mask mandate . Stop deflecting.

I don't believe in a mask mandate except in healthcare .

So that’s the public’s fault the health system is shite and can’t supply the beds? Is that why you’re defending Phill? Then you have Phill on the telly day in and day out whinging to the government to make people wear masks going to the toilet in a pub or restaurant. She gets her masks and when she sees it won’t make much difference she’ll be on her list for the next proposal or demand.

Where am i minimizing anything? I’m not minimizing anything, get off the high horse.

Healthcare workers are part if the public too and pay taxes like you or anyone else.

So you get off your high horse blaming other workers for something that they can't control.

Only government and HSE management are to blame if blame is to allocated anywhere , for a health service that has been failing to adequately serve people for r the last 20 plus years both in bed management and waiting lists.

Phil is doing her job just as much and representing the best way she can just as teachers union reps do or patient representative bodies .

As for mask mandates, no, I don't agree either on that , and think if you are saying that is going to happen any time soon when it didn't in March when numbers were sky high, you must be either exaggerating or a little bit hoping that will happen, so you can say " look guys , I was right " .

You've been going on about her , INMO and mask mandates so long now,, Maybe you are praying for it ?

• Advertisement

Lol you are so off the mark there. Nah I won’t, I’ll just let you carry on talking to yourself. 😉

Advertisement