Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

coogy wrote: »
    S, which pace group are you referring to, was it the 3:20 group?

It was. But the point holds whichever pace group is in question. 3:20 was my target time. I waited until I was practically the last person in the pen before setting off. I was still in most of my 'stay warm' clothes when the gun went off. I didn't want the distraction of the pace group. I never saw them until I was outside Bushy Park. I was intent on running my own race. I can see however that others would prefer the comfort blanket of keeping them in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

FWIW I ran with the 3:20 pace group a couple of years back. It's a pretty big group and I just plonked myself in the middle of it. Coasted along, well protected from the elements, until about Rathgar where I moved a bit ahead of the bigger group. I possibly would have broke 3:20 that day anyway, but the pace group just took all thinking out of my hands and really relaxed me. If I had to chase down a balloon or keep it in my sights then I'm not sure how I might have fared......but as Skyblue says, it's a decision that's purely individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

healy1835 wrote: »
    FWIW I ran with the 3:20 pace group a couple of years back. It's a pretty big group and I just plonked myself in the middle of it. Coasted along, well protected from the elements, until about Rathgar where I moved a bit ahead of the bigger group. I possibly would have broke 3:20 that day anyway, but the pace group just took all thinking out of my hands and really relaxed me. If I had to chase down a balloon or keep it in my sights then I'm not sure how I might have fared......but as Skyblue says, it's a decision that's purely individual.

This is my dilemma atm, whether to avail of the shelter provided by the pacer group or to pace my own race which would involve running alone and battling the elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

In taper with the meno plan and in wave 2 for DCM. Hoping for 3:45, starting with the 3:50 pacers. My question is to what extent can you 'call upon' MP you've done in training in the race, or more precisely, towards the end stage of the race? Keeping in mind fatigue, trying to sensible, respecting the distance, etc. Does it seem feasible to pick it up, say after mile 20/21 or so? I don't mean going crazy or beyond MP. Never felt I've fully emptied the tank, so far. Not sure where the danger zone is...ish.

In 2015 I had a similar experience as healy1835 when I ran with the 3:20 pace group until mile 19 when I pushed on a little and finished in a time of 3:18:30. As it was my first marathon I liked the safety of the pace group but I did take a bit of a risk by pushing on at mile 19 as it was a run into the unknown but it all worked out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It was. But the point holds whichever pace group is in question. 3:20 was my target time. I waited until I was practically the last person in the pen before setting off. I was still in most of my 'stay warm' clothes when the gun went off. I didn't want the distraction of the pace group. I never saw them until I was outside Bushy Park. I was intent on running my own race. I can see however that others would prefer the comfort blanket of keeping them in sight.

Thanks for that S, just wondering did you find it very stop start to maintain you pace in the first 7 miles starting at the back of the wave? Like did you find yourself overly blocked in (I know you would starting in the middle of the wave too!).
    I'm kinda in between what you did and leave it a minute or 2 after gun and starting at back of wave 1 or maybe even stay where I am and move up and go at the head of wave 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Thanks for that S, just wondering did you find it very stop start to maintain you pace in the first 7 miles starting at the back of the wave? Like did you find yourself overly blocked in (I know you would starting in the middle of the wave too!).
    I'm kinda in between what you did and leave it a minute or 2 after gun and starting at back of wave 1 or maybe even stay where I am and move up and go at the head of wave 2.

Might see you at the back of Wave 1 then J. My plan at the moment is to wait at the back of wave 1 and go with the head of wave 2 with 3.30 pacers. Will leave them go a bit for the first 7 miles and then try to slowly catch them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Treviso wrote: »
    Might see you at the back of Wave 1 then J. My plan at the moment is to wait at the back of wave 1 and go with the head of wave 2 with 3.30 pacers. Will leave them go a bit for the first 7 miles and then try to slowly catch them

My plan is similar to yours regards the 7 or 8 miles except im starting in wave 2 so will place myself at back of pacers i think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I had no real problems with congestion. That being said I was super relaxed on the day in relation to pace. I just went with the flow. I considered every occasion that I was going slower than planned was more energy being saved for the crunch part of the day. I wasn't running to a pace band so that stress wasn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I had no real problems with congestion. That being said I was super relaxed on the day in relation to pace. I just went with the flow. I considered every occasion that I was going slower than planned was more energy being saved for the crunch part of the day. I wasn't running to a pace band so that stress wasn't there.

Super relaxed on the day always helps with a pb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭ooter

training has gone well for me and I reckon i'm definitely in 3:20 shape, but my PB is 3:14 and i'm wondering whether to have a crack at it.
    healy1835 wrote: »
    but the pace group just took all thinking out of my hands and really relaxed me.
    this is my thinking and my plan for the first half of the race, just go with the flow (3:20 pacers) and don't give it much/any thought, if i'm feeling good at half way kick on and see where it takes me. anyone think this is a good strategy or is it virtually unheard of to run a 6+ minute negative split?
    if there were 3:15 pacers it'd be perfect but unfortunately not. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

ooter wrote: »
    training has gone well for me and I reckon i'm definitely in 3:20 shape, but my PB is 3:14 and i'm wondering whether to have a crack at it.

this is my thinking and my plan for the first half of the race, just go with the flow (3:20 pacers) and don't give it much/any thought, if i'm feeling good at half way kick on and see where it takes me. anyone think this is a good strategy or is it virtually unheard of to run a 6+ minute negative split?
    if there were 3:15 pacers it'd be perfect but unfortunately not. :(

Last year I ran a 5 minute negative split last year after starting with the 3:20 pacers, finished just under 3:10. I sped up after mile 7.

In 2017 I ran a small negative split after starting with the 3:20 pacers, finished in 3:14. I sped up after mile 7, but not as much and had a bit of a slow down towards the end.

Strava for both:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1932215237

https://www.strava.com/activities/1251988708

So I think it's a great strategy, for the first 7 miles anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Cheers for that B, that's very useful!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭ooter

Singer wrote: »
    Last year I ran a 5 minute negative split last year after starting with the 3:20 pacers, finished just under 3:10. I sped up after mile 7.

In 2017 I ran a small negative split after starting with the 3:20 pacers, finished in 3:14. I sped up after mile 7, but not as much and had a bit of a slow down towards the end.

Strava for both:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1932215237

https://www.strava.com/activities/1251988708

So I think it's a great strategy, for the first 7 miles anyway :)

yeah a slower first 7 is definitely the way to go, will see how i'm feeling at that point. well done on the 5 minute NS by the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hoping to go from 3:51 (DCM) to 3:45 for Cincinnati in May. They don't have pacer info up for 2019, but for 2018 the 3:50 pacers ran @ 8:47, whilst 3:45 hit @8:35, respectively. http://flyingpigmarathon.com/flying-pig-marathon-and-half-marathon-pace-team/ I'll probably start out with the 3:50s for a good chunk of the race.

I'm on week 2/14 of the grads intermediate plan. At current easy pace, with the longest lsr being 3 hours, I'm probably not gonna go beyond 16 miles ish. I used this plan for Connemara 2018 and didn't go beyond that mileage (15.86, looking back) in long runs. Am I concerned about nothing? I don't regard Conn as having being painful, I only ran 4:30, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Hoping to go from 3:51 (DCM) to 3:45 for Cincinnati in May. They don't have pacer info up for 2019, but for 2018 the 3:50 pacers ran @ 8:47, whilst 3:45 hit @8:35, respectively. http://flyingpigmarathon.com/flying-pig-marathon-and-half-marathon-pace-team/ I'll probably start out with the 3:50s for a good chunk of the race.

I'm on week 2/14 of the grads intermediate plan. At current easy pace, with the longest lsr being 3 hours, I'm probably not gonna go beyond 16 miles ish. I used this plan for Connemara 2018 and didn't go beyond that mileage (15.86, looking back) in long runs. Am I concerned about nothing? I don't regard Conn as having being painful, I only ran 4:30, though.

From a cardio point of view, most certainly yes you will be as developed as any. Remember Elites are only doing 2-2.30 min for long runs in general the only difference is they cover more ground in that time.

From a bio-mechanical point of view you won't have as much conditioning of longer time on your feet vs others however this is compensated by the fact that you will probably have more cumulative mileage throughout the weeks as well as the fact you won't be in an under recovered state between long runs increasing injury and illness risk so shouldn't (theorectically) miss as much training in the grand scheme of things.

This plan was developed to make you the best athlete possible on the day rather than the fastest you can possibly do on that day. Generally the plan is designed with a view of long term development cycle on cycle.

It's a similar approach I have used for on of my athletes who has gone 3.28, 3.16, 3.03 in recent cycles. Admittedly could have probably trained him harder the first time around and if he managed to hold up with no injuries might have got 3.24-3.25 but ultimately I knew that sustainably he would have ended up in a plateau with injury etc in around the 3.20 mark because the adequate foundations weren't put in place.

(Admittedly I am bias on the plan :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

WIth training for the autumn marathon season coming up, it's time to kick this thread back into gear - plenty of boardsies out there with a few marathons under the belt looking to hit targets.

Personally, I'm training for Chicago, hoping to break 3:20 for the first time, after at least five failed attempts over the past six years. Any others out there with improver targets? And what's the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

My first time posting on this thread I think, not sure if you what I plan to do is truly improving but here goes. Training for Dublin this year, my last marathon I raced on my own steam was back in 2018 where I recorded 3:51:40. In 2019 I ran Dublin with my wife to support her on her first marathon (5:38).

My marathon pb is even further back, in 2017 I got 3:43:41 in Tralee. This year I am training for sub 3:50 for Dublin so it's not planned to be an improvement on my pb as it's my first marathon proper in 4 years it's hopefully the first step in the right direction to tackle my pb at another time.

Planning to use Hanson's Beginner Plan for this. I used it last year to train for Manchester last summer/autumn and after 8 weeks I stopped as I had a shin issue (not shin splits but something that felt like bruising) and with the hassles of traveling at the time I let it go. This time around carrying a bit less weight (about 5kgs down over the last 6 months) and more base mileage...and hopefully pace my training better as I was not doing the easy stuff correctly at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good stuff D

Good stuff D - I think with your experience though I'd be looking at the Hanson Advanced - the beginner plan is very basic and suitable for a first timer but I think you would be well able for the Advanced (which is really the standard version of the plan IMO). It's a great approach that tackled properly delivers huge levels of aerobic endurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I did consider it alright D but I'd like to be conservative on my return to marathon running, mileage wise I'm probably more towards the beginner side of things. Currently averaging around 30mpw. I had a look at this video from Luke Humphrey (on Choosing between beginner and advanced marathon plans) and found it to be pretty persuasive as to which side of things I'd currently fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Wottle

Good idea getting this up and running for Autumn.

I ran 3'25 in Seville back in February, few mistakes made in the lead up which kind of forced a 4 week taper on me. I also cramped badly in the latter stages, so that's STH I'll need to look on.

I came out of Seville in good form, running pbs over 5k, 5M & 10k. So I hope to carry that goodness into Amsterdam in the middle of October.

I feel I can go sub 3'10 and that's where I'll base my training around but I'm hoping for even better but maybe that's just been greedy. A 10 miler in Mullingar and a half in Ratoath will let me know how realistic I'm being.

I'll be away for the whole month of August in Portugal, I see this as a massive positive, lovely trails and state of the art track & gym and most importantly a very supportive wife and kids.

This thread will be great for me as I love following other runners progress, it distracts me a little from my obsessiveness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I am going to give DCM another twirl this October hopefully. Ran 3:26 back in 2018 on my first marathon using the Meno plan. Enjoyed it all.

Am thinking of going for the same sub 3:30 target this time around, and being 4 years further into my 40s I reckon that will constitute improvement. I had started training for a virtual last year but picked up an injury around September. I don't think my heart was ever really in it, and certainly my eating and drinking habits didn't help. Will aim to be "cleaner" this time around!

Am heading away for two weeks at the start of July, so that will scupper up those two weeks a bit. I will get some runs in, but not to the extent the plan is asking for. Was wondering how others might have fared with a delayed start to a training plan (will essentially be 15 week plan by the time I get started)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Finally getting to do my second marathon DCM since running a 3.26 there in 2019 as a novice. Been a lot of improvement since then and will be hoping to break 2.50 for it. Will be following a very intensive training program as prescribed by the coach (Stazza), which will include plenty of marathon paced long runs (longest being a 18m at MP, with 2m wu/cd). He was talking about getting a 24m run in as well 🤐

Already have a 14m at MP under the belt so it's going to be a case of building on that for the rest of the summer. Have a few weeks in France end of July so will get plenty of hill work in

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Thanks for reviving this thread.

I'll be starting Hanson's advanced plan next week for Dublin and will also be going for sub 3:20 (current PB is 3:22 in 2019). Away for a couple of weeks in July so I'm moving week 2/3 to 1/2. Hopefully that will be it as far as tinkering goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Anyone know if this the "grads intermediate plan" TBO is referencing? - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LOkLQ_a9NHWe97yaRkfF6ArFmCHmtf9y1tU0LR7uMr8/edit#gid=135247088

Hoping to improve my Belfast last year 3:52 to 3:45 in Dublin.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Wow that'll be a massive jump, fantastic putting it out there. I've actually added a 22 miler and like you a lot more MP miles during long runs although maybe not quite to the same extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Thanks to @Murph_D for the subtle re-direction here from the Novices thread 😉

I've a few marathons under my belt but preparation for all of them has been hit and miss to say the least....I'll link the intro post I wrote on novices thread

here for some context.

Will be aiming for somewhere in the 3:10 - 3:20 region but having already had a look at a Runners World 3:15 plan I found the mileage a bit daunting tbh. I think I'll possibly struggle to regularly run more than 40 mpw - finding time is one thing and dodgy Achilles is a factor as well.

If anyone has a link to a low mileage plan I'd appreciate it - not trying to cut corners or anything but my main goal is to make it through a marathon training block injury/illness free and properly follow a plan for the first time in my life.

Anyway - already have the holidays out of the way 😄 so shouldn't have too many disruptions outside of the regular family shenanigans.

This week has been solid enough so far - did 8.5K on Monday, 14K slow on Weds and 10 miles cycling yesterday. Planning a run of some sort later this evening once my U-11 hurling coach duties are finished

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Perfect timing. The mentored 2019 was invaluable to me during my first Marathon, if this one is half as useful I will be delighted.

So I've run two non-virtual marathons, DCM 2019(3.59) and Manchester 2022(3.18). I followed the Boards plan for the DCM 2019 and a free onlin BAA plan for Manchester this year. With the volume of information on here I was tempted to try a Daniels for the DCM22 but eventually and out of sheer laziness I decided to redo the BAA plan I used last winter for the Manchester Marathon. link to a weekly schedule for DCM below. I have pace ranges on the second sheet for 3.00 to 3.15 marathon that go with the plan.

Had some small injuries lately that pissed me off and stopped me runnnning as much as Id like, still carrying some small hip pain. To alleviate this and hopefully prevent a problem I've introduced stretching and strenght work for the hip and knee into my routine(about 10 15 minutes per day)

I use a Coros watch with all the coros features and log on strava, good and bad days https://www.strava.com/athletes/24133081

My A goal is sub 3.10 with sub 3.20 B goal for this Dublin Marathon. If I stay fit and injury free I reckon I have a good chance of gettiing over the line and landing a Boston Qualifier for 2024(I will be 50 by then so sub 3.25 will do it).

• Things I struggle with - Pacing
    • Things that help - Im stubborn as a mule

Good luck to all of you pure legends on this journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭FinnC

I’ve been of the opinion for a long time that not everyone needs high mileage and lots of slow runs to do well at a marathon. I only started to really improve when I followed a lowish mileage but more quality approach.

Couldnt break 3hrs for many an attempt but when I switched to a quality over quantity approach I broke sub3 several times. My PB is 2:48.

Its been a while since I have run a Marathon and probably not in that shape now but will be looking to go Sub 3 in Dublin, even a 2:59 I’d be happy with.

I do substitute a lot of the “easy” runs with cycling but with a background in triathlon that’s natural to me anyway. Even an hour on Zwift is a good substitute imo.

As far as plans go I haven’t really followed one but I do a specific 12 week build up to a Marathon with 1 speed session a week. Anything will do like 800s/1km repeats at about 5km pace. 1 Tempo run a week at Marathon Pace increasing the length each week up to about 22km and 1 easy Long Run each week up to 20 miles but with a 6-8km Marathon pace at the end of each long run.

It’s pretty basic stuff let’s be honest but this approach has kept me injury free and improved my Marathon times dramatically.

My approach won’t suit everyone but I believe you could say that about any Marathon Plan. I reckon when I did my 2:48 I never ran more than 40miles in a week and probably was less than that.

And before anyone says yeah but think how fast you’d go if you ran more miles… yeah tried that, got injured mainly and never got any faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Thanks for posting that....good perspective and experience there.

Do you schedule races into that approach?

There's a 10 mile race coming up near me in a few weeks that I'd like to do as an early benchmark....it obviously wouldn't fit into any defined "plan" as such.

Also, would be interested in people's thoughts on introducing "super" shoes...

I've had a pair of Vaporflys sitting in a box for over a year and have been saving them for a marathon....would you advise wearing them for a half/10 Miler first before rocking up to the start line?

I have a pair of Zoom Flys as well that I've worn a few times for races <10K

• Advertisement

Absolutely you need to wear them in shorter races before the marathon. I ended up buying two pairs of Vaporflies. One pair is specifically for racing (100 miles so far) and 250 miles on the other pair which is used for sessions (not every session mind and be careful if you've had a history of calf or Achilles issues). The shoes have held up really well, I reckon I'll get between 400 mile & 500 miles in them.

Advertisement