Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

If it's Chicago/Dublin you're talking about, remember they are only three weeks apart. Only two weeks and two days to Dublin now! I have an entry myself and the plan was to jog around but I'll be playing it very cautiously between now and then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Berlin was the target (finished in 3.39 which was a 10 min PB) and my plan was to take it handy for Dublin and just enjoy it.

But I've recovered pretty well, so I might give it a shot in Dublin now if I feel good on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Thank you for robbing a week of my life that I thought I had! 🤣🤣

Best of luck with it and congrats on the great PB.

• Yeah nothing like a 33k(5:27km, 141HR) run for the first time this year to bash any ideas of a time out of your head. Me poor legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

Could anyone recommend something similar to this hydration belt?

I had one but the zip went on it and this one is out of stock in my size, 3. Which is a shame because thisbseems perfect and comes with good recommendations in here.

Only 2 weeks to the Dublin marathon so not a great time for this to happen!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Check daily as it went out of stock the last time just after I bought it and I checked it a day or two later for a friend and it was back in. There is another one that can carry poles too … obviously you won’t be carrying poles but looks like would carry all the soft bottles. What are you planning to carry? I’m a huge fan of the zippered flipbelt … just not for the soft bottles.

I had been planning to just carry gels, but think I'll need to carry a soft bottle with a hydration tab in it. After last couple of long runs feel I'll need that on the day.

I'll keep an eye on it for a day or two but if it doesn't come back in then I'll pull the trigger on the trail one. Thanks for the info.

I used always carry my zero tablets cut in half in those little ziplock clear bags that buttons come in attached to new clothes. Half a tablet will fit in the top of the water bottles they hand out no problem. I’ve done every marathon so far with a flipbelt carrying all my gels, phone and those little clear bags for hydration tablets! The zip one is best though. The Edge in Cork have some zippered ones in various sizes. I saw them the other day.

Could a dress maker fix the zip on your current one?

• Advertisement

Hadn't thought of trying to get current one fixed, that's a possibility.

On my last long run I actually did that, had half a tab, wrapped in cling film as didn't have any small bags like that and found it easy to access on the run and dropped into a 250ml bottle. So will carry some during the race I think.

But was toying with the idea of having something like that made up or possibly a carb drink to carry with me just in case I miss a water station or could avoid the water stations early on altogether.

Still trying to decide on the best approach, though probably should have most of this figured out by now with only two weeks to go!!

I don’t think you’ll miss a water station. I never did anywhere anyway. If you want water you will get it no problem at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Send me a PM with your name and address and I'll post you a size medium Flip Belt (with zip) if you like. No charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

see if theres a zipyard anywhere near you

ive gotten a few things fixed there, cycling and running jackets and sleeping bags, they do a good job

https://www.thezipyard.ie/store-locator/?gclid=CjwKCAjw-rOaBhA9EiwAUkLV4otUlC4s7ZuM11RWhQAEOozMFIPJJIrCj3SS0YBjTTl1AMcm0VgVBRoCMU4QAvD_BwE

Any sub 3 runners care to share their marathon and half marathon PB's please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FinnC

2:48 Marathon

1:18 Half

Thanks, you are pretty much spot on with the Hanson race equivalency table.

I'm just trying to see what the correlation is like with real examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Sandwell

2:44 / 1:17

Pretty much spot on as well.

I'm trying to plan out my 2023 runnung calendar and am starting to think that I'm missing out on having no real PB's except in the Marathon.

Having PB's at other distances (based on a sample size of two) seems to be a bell weather for what you can achieve at the Marathon.

That would ring true for me. Both marathons I've done have come after 12-18 months of training for races from 5k to half-marathon, including a bit of cross country and the odd trail race. I went sub 3 off the back of PBs at half, 10 mile, 5 mile and 5k in the previous year. My recent 2:44 in Amsterdam followed a similar pattern. I trained for a half over the winter, then spent a few months focusing on getting my 5k and 10k times down before starting the marathon block in July.

I think if you can run a good PB at 5 or 10k then its easy to imagine yourself being capable of running a bit slower for relatively longer. The equivalent marathon pace doesn't seem so daunting, if you know what I mean. And of course the specific focus on VO2 max and speedwork is something that will be beneficial in the next marathon block.

• Advertisement

• Saucony is giving me a full refund after a rip in my speed 2s after about 500k. Love this company.

Interesting they are refunding.

That happens all my runners and is caused by me clipping my left heel every so often when I run.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,068 ✭✭✭✭event

Haven't really gotten out for runs at all this week. With work it honestly hasnt been possible.

Now I am starting to panic that I don't have enough running done. In this running block I have only done about 400 miles, 650 year to date.

Maybe this is just the taper madness starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marathon2022

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Looking slightly beyond the marathon.... 😬

How long should one wait after a marathon before attacking the bejaysus out of a 5K to set a decent PB?

For example, would something like the Duhallow 5K on December 11th at 1pm be too soon? Hypothetically speaking of course 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

I ran a 5k time trial 2 and a half weeks after Seville back in February and then pretty much raced a parkrun every week thereafter and getting quicker with each one.

I ran 20'33 about 6 weeks before Seville and broke 19 minutes 4 times after.

I felt the marathon strength really helped, I also added a midweek 3x1k off 60 secs faster than 5k pace, probably more 3k effort.

I felt by May, I was starting to run on fumes and probably should have gone back into another endurance building block

I'll be going to set a PB in 10k on November 19th all going well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I set a 5k PB just a few weeks ago, the day after a 22m run and after one of my highest volume weeks. I picked up 10mile, half marathon and 5k PB's in the last 2 months during my marathon training block, and if I'd done a 10k race I'd be confident of getting that too.

I've wondered about this before, as I have noted in the past that I can pump out some of my best times on tired legs, as if the body is at its best when it is already in top gear.

But I'd be less confident of getting a PB next month for some reason, as if the mentality changes and I find it harder to push myself enough to get the times. I don't think I'd suit taking it easy for a few weeks and then attacking a PB, though maybe I'm fooling myself and I would get a far better time by doing it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

Jingle Bells 5k is next up for me after DCM.

Will be an all out eyeball popping affair.

Anyone else starting to worry about the potential "C" word. I have a christening to go to tomorrow and after that I am going to try avoid the public as much as possible

• Advertisement

• Thus completes my 11 day marathon training of 2 long runs... 25k today and 33k last week. Funny I've ran 42.1k in total this week.

2 more runs next week and that is it. I'm going to a United match next Thursday and am slightly worried about the covid alright.

I tested pos for it on Monday. Thought it was game over for a while (negativity and general doom a feature of Covid in my experience), but am now back in the game I feel. Ran a tester gentle 5k yesterday with no problems. Am still taking it very easy for a few more days though.

Was symptomatic Sunday evening and Monday, then sporadically feeling crappy until Wed afternoon. Felt 100% on Wed evening, and again yesterday morn so tried out an easy 5k.

RHR had spiked to high 50s over Sun - Tue but was back to low 40s on Wed. Was perfect on the run and dropped 45 beats within two mins of finishing. I'm taking that as a sign that my fitness hasn't taken a dent.

Running an easy 10k shortly.

It seems to be rampant by the way. Wear a mask to the Christening imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I've been working from home this week and I'll do the same next week. Can't do anything abut the family going to school or out clubbing unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

2 weeks is suppose to be a time to do one. You can stretch it to 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Well that's me screwed so, two weeks between Amsterdam and DCM.

Well I’m still planning to do DCM myself, 3 weeks after Chicago, but certainly not racing it. Lap of honour! 😁

Jaysus....hope you're feeling better soon.

Everyone's COVID journey seems to be unique so listen to your body.

Had my last dose of antibiotic today for (probable) kidney infection 😩

Done a couple of gentle runs the last few days, not ideal prep obvs but keeps the legs ticking over.

We need to work on our timing huh 😀

Cheers man, I feel 100% now. Such a relief.

• Advertisement

I just posted a (rather long) race report on the Amsterdam thread if anyone's interested. Hope the tapering is going well for all the DCM crew.

That was really enjoyable. Huge congrats man.

When you said your taper was a bit of a disaster, getting the head cold and missing that session, can you give me a rundown of how that week went?

I'm in a similar boat right now. Have had a rock solid block, missing 1x run in the entire thing then got hit with Covid this week and missed three days, 2x sessions. Picking things back up now, but am hopeful after reading your report.

Something that dawned on me today looking over my pace strategy. I'll be starting at the back of wave 1 (3:20 target). First 10k will be pretty conservative, running at about 3:28ish pace. Will the field be a bit thin at that pace?

Will I be getting pity claps? 😁

Sure. I caught a cold around two and a half weeks out but I continued to run as it wasn't on my chest. By the Sunday, however, I was getting some chest tightness and I cut a few miles off my long run. The cold symptoms passed but I was left with a dry cough and an occasionally tight chest. I had a 6x1k session on the Tuesday which I cut short halfway. Legs felt great but I wasn't happy with how my chest felt.

I managed to see a GP on Wednesday and they diagnosed it as a post-viral cough. I was prescribed an inhaler and told to take it for the next couple of weeks. I had my final big session from the Hansons plan, 10 miles at MP, the following day but I swapped that for an hour of easy running. By the Friday my chest was feeling much better and I continued to follow the plan which at this point was just a series of short, easy runs. The cough was gone and my chest felt fine by the start of race week so I stopped taking the inhaler and finished out the few short runs left on the plan.

So basically I missed my last big session and cut the session before that by 50%. Otherwise I more or less adhered to the volume specified in the plan but ran everything as easy as possible. I don't think this setback had any effect whatsoever on my performance on race day and I'd expect it'll be the same for you. You've the work done at this stage and it might even be the case that the enforced rest is beneficial.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes. You've put in a fantastic block of training and deserve to hit your target.

Thanks so much for that encouragement. I said it in the other thread, but may say it here too, I've taken a lot of inspiration from your experience. Well done again on such a fantastic race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

No not at all, I had the same strategy in 2019 and I was surprised how crowded it felt until Chesterfield. Looking back, my first mile was 8:05 and I remember thinking there was no way (for me) to get past people anyway.

Never did catch those pacers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭Trampas

Just seems bugs and virus (non covid even) are rampant at the moment. I’m just getting over a virus at the moment. 5 days of steroids and then a course of antibiotics to shift a cough. God dam kids. Back running but hr a good 10-15 beats off on speed session 800 yestersay and 10 seconds or so on easy runs.

Was feeling confident for Dublin but it feels like it’s turning into a let’s see how it goes. Plan was 19km easy this weekend but going to do 10km easy and 3km around original MP to see what the HR is.

Have Valencia in 5 weeks as a back up but wasn’t committed to it and if I do go wanted to do that on a back of good Dublin and see how it goes. Only flying in Saturday and back Sunday.

Even for Dublin do I hold back the carbon shoes or not. These decisions are my taper madness stuff

The pacers, do they usually run even splits or try to bank time? Trying to decide what to do and whether to go with the 3:30s

They run even splits. They'll aim to come in around 3:29:50 ish

Definitely not. You’ll be fine. Waves are based on aspirational times and are never particularly accurate.

16K done in pretty perfect autumn conditions.

Never felt so nervous/jumpy before a training run.....a volatile blend of taper madness, maranoia and post kidney infection/antibiotics bleurghh.

Anyway, all things considered it went pretty ok so gonna rest up now as much as I can in the next few days and let the body recover.

Maybe a couple of short trots on Tuesday and Thursday and that's it.

Hope everyone is else is going well at this stage...it'll nearly all be over this time next Sunday 😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement