Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,581 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Are you suggesting that a service that was undeliverable should have continued to be advertised, whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation they found themselves in?

As a prospective passenger I think it would be better to advertise a service that they could deliver as opposed to one with massive numbers of cancellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Surely the service they could deliver should be the one that they committed to as part of the PSO?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Are they still losing large numbers of drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

They've had a big recruitment drive, so they may (or may not, I don't know) have enough drivers right now, at this moment in time. But I'm not aware of them having done anything to address the retention issues that have plagued them since 2018.

I could be wrong... time will tell.

Of course but if that isn’t possible (due to drivers out from Covid or leaving), there is not much point in advertising something that they cannot deliver.

You’ll only get people’s backs up even more by advertising services that can’t operate.

Dublin Bus has also suffered driver absences and services cancelled more often than normal of late, but presumably with a larger workforce they can get cover from overtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

RTÉ News has reported that there is a potential bidding war going to take place between two public transit companies in Australia to buyout the Go-Ahead Group in the UK.

The 2 Australian companies involved in this bidding process are Kinetic Holding & Kelsian Group.

This story has been reported yesterday. Has there any new updates in how this bidding process has gone on between these 2 operators to buyout Go-Ahead which does includes it's Irish operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I think that they should be providing the service they tendered for, which they haven’t. They’ve been a mess since Day 1 with buses not turning up and them claiming they they had. 4 years later we still have crap like below. And it was the same yesterday. They cancel multiple buses every day.

As indeed are Dublin Bus and Bus Éireann right now too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Indeed, a shortage of drivers is a sector wide problem at the moment that is effecting all operators.

Unfortunately there seems to be the view from some that only services that an operator tweets about being cancelled are being cancelled, when that is far from the case as Real Time Ireland shows every day.

• Advertisement

I take multiple buses a day. I’ve never had a DB one cancelled or not turn up, while I’ve had lots of GA buses not turn up.

I’m not excusing GAI at all.

But if you think it isn’t happening elsewhere you’re mistaken. DB don’t announce them on their website - you have to look at the TFI real time app to see the cancelled and curtailed departures.

I’ve had a cancellation or curtailment most days this past fortnight.

3 x 15b in a row were cancelled on Tuesday evening in both directions, along with multiple 14, 15, 16 and 65b departures.

Every single day there are multiple cancellations or curtailments on cross-city routes due to “operational issues”, code for lack of staff. As @devnull says - the TFI Real Time app will tell you what cancellations and curtailments are happening when you select a particular stop.

Buses parked on the river side of Eden Quay is a sure sign of journeys being curtailed.

The entire industry is suffering a staffing shortage right now and that is seeping through to service reliability.

The link below lists all of the BE departures cancelled yesterday in the Northwest:

https://www.buseireann.ie/service_updates.php?id=6010&month=Jun

My own view is that the NTA need to cop onto the fact that the companies don’t have the staff and produce schedules that CAN be delivered. They should put a halt on expanding services until the companies can actually deliver the existing ones.

You just need to go to the respective companies Twitter r or FB pages. Reams of complaints on GA, and most of the complaints on DB are from GA punters who don’t know who runs the route.

I must be imagining the issues that I outlined above then?

Every company has some issues. GA is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭john boye

As someone above said about Eden Qy, The amount of cross-city routes at the moment running short C versions is very noticeable and is usually due to no relief driver. Sure you only have to listen to control reading out the long list of available boards for overtime every morning around half 8 to understand how bad things are atm.

The last 3 letters of your post are the most relevant, atm.

Bit with GA, this isn’t a recent development. Since they took over I’ve had to use 33a, 33b and 17a. From day 1 there were buses not showing. This has continued throughout their time here. Covid or a lack of drivers doesn’t make their customer service, and in one case, their managing director lie about services. The sooner they’re gone the better in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭TranslatorPS

The main reason why you would consider GAI to be an issue in particular is because their scale of operations is so much smaller than the other two major PSO operators, so the amount of cancellations they may have becomes a considerably larger proportion, one easier to highlight and notice.

Personally I have been stood up by Dublin Bus a number of times in the past as well - before the pandemic though, mind you, so cancellations at the time were more likely to be due to the previous departure running noticeably late, but I've had my share of departures cancelled outright due to the lack of a driver.

GAI's problems are really down to their relatively less attractive pay, which results in rather nasty staff retention rates. And it's a lot more difficult to find spare drivers when you have a pool of about 90 (that's my guesstimate on what the Commuter network should employ to cover the amount of duties I know they had 1.5 years ago) than when you have a pool of about 400 (my expectations on some of the larger DB garages).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭p_haugh

the issue of people complaining to DB about GAI routes etc should hopefully be resolved once the integrated TFI customer service starts up.

As a paying customer, none of the above is my problem. If they can’t provide the service they tendered for, they should be removed. TUPE their drivers over to another company and offer more money

• Advertisement

Another company won't make a difference. They're doing exactly what the NTA wants them to do. And that's a big part of why they're losing drivers. Even if those routes went back to Dublin Bus, they'd have to operate them in the exact same way. On a shoestring, essentially. The contract itself is the problem. Even if they somehow had enough drivers, half of them would be sitting in Ballymount scratching themselves in the afternoons because the NTA never gave them enough buses.

It isn't, rightly so, but you started posting in an area where people have actual answers, so you're getting one.

It doesn't matter who the company is at this point, the problem is industry-wide. There aren't enough drivers to spare anywhere. The framing of the NTA-GAI contract is a part of it (although they do have a perfectly sufficient fleet for the commuter routes), the company's internal policy is another, and then that's on top of the international shortage due to the effects of the pandemic and what not.

Another part of the contract of course is that it's rather difficult to terminate it - a few trips missing every day is far from enough for it to happen. You'd have to have half the service missing all the time and the other half not running on time for the termination clauses to kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

A cursory glance on the Swords Rd (my corridor) right now shows a 41 and a 16 cancelled from town heading North. And a 16 what says stop cancelled which presumably means the route will be picked up in city centre.

So, yes DB do struggle too. I think what exacerbates the GAI issue is that many of their routes are very unique and cancelling one is very obvious compared to say the 41s or 16s which have other routes to cover for them for most of their route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The NTA are not going to be terminating that contract under any circumstances - tendering is a cornerstone policy and so is having multiple operators.

Post edited by dfx- on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Yes but four trips missing off the 18 is completely unacceptable must be a new record bar periods of extreme disruption such as a serious accident or the like. A 1hr 40min gap on route that's supposed every 20 mins is a disgrace.

I don't know what happened there but why a bus couldn't be pulled from another route especially the 76 as they're interworked baffles me.

I wasn't suggesting they would - merely stating (after a cursory glance through the contract itself) that it's so difficult to terminate it, either the Apocalypse, the Kim dynasty, or something to that extreme effect would have to happen for a termination to be considered... and even then you could say it's a third party act anyway.

The 75 is prone to missing or "cancelled" buses too. Any day of the week.

I certainly think that the NTA have been too lax in drawing up contracts that penalise individual cancellations, but do not add more severe penalties for cancelling departures that are directly after one another.

There should also never be a situation where the last departure on a route can be cancelled. Rather than the more severe financial penalties that such action attracts, it should be cast in stone that they should operate.

They're also low (or low-ish) frequency, which means that a cancellation creates a larger and more noticeable gap and has a knock-on effect on the next bus. And as a smaller operator, they have fewer options than DB when it comes to moving resources around and filling gaps.

• Advertisement

Agree with all of this, BUT there should never be situations where on such lower frequency routes that two or more departures in a row are cancelled due to staffing issues.

Control need to manage the resource better.

Advertisement