Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random Fitness Questions

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ah right.

Yeah, I'd saw one GIF of an elderly woman deadlifting on a forum where some lad was afraid of doing it. I'd be similar. I've seen some videos and am not far off giving it a go but I think the point was along the lines of "If she can, so can you".

Most people lifting I see are in their twenties. Maybe it's because I go in as early as possible to avoid the social media people...

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I started lifting heavy stuff in my 30’s. 37 actually. Always had a bad back. I used to look at guys in the gym deadlifting 80kg and squatting 60kg and I’d think no way I could do anywhere near that, not in a million years.

nowdays those weights are the start of my warm ups. So trust me, 100kg is well achievable. Just got to stick to your program. I’ve had loads of time off during these years from injuries, busy work schedule, moving house, babies etc but I always get back to it. Probably for me, using the log forum here on boards and the help of a good few people on here I’ve kept going. I was exactly where you were and I asked all the questions you asked and more.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057683427/getting-stronger-getting-older#latest

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

There was a lad who used to post here who started lifting in his early 40s and went on to compete in power lifting, he was a beast. Pavel?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thanks. I'll have a read of that thread.

I've gotten used to being one of the weaker people there. It's not an issue. I'm perhaps a bit too paranoid about injury so I've no issue waiting to add weight if I feel I need to.

Thanks.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

My 14 year old son has just joined the local gym for the summer. He's fit and lean from football etc. He wants to build some muscle. At that age is he better off starting with something like greyskull / strong lifts or something else ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

hes probably already eating you out of house and home but you’re gonna have to up there food intake and do some or any weight training program

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I think 14 is do-able to begin, although it must be said there are 14 year olds who have a good bit of their adult allotment of physical and mental coordination and then there are 14 year olds who are quite obviously still developing. But if it's the latter then I would still say to let them have at it.

I agree a novice linear progression is the way to go and personally yes, I think Greyskull would be a good choice. If you're familiar with Greyskull you'll be aware it allows for the addition of some extras on top of the compound lifts. If he's a teenage boy this may suit as he's highly like to want to do some direct arm training... At least he can do it in a structured way.

If you search the Starting Strength website they have quite a few articles on coaching teenage and high school lifters that may be of interest.

As Dtp says, calorie intake will be a big thing, making sure it's adequate based on his physical activity level.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Not really a question as such, but just an "FYI" with where I am in my own training.

Having done quite low volume training for the past 6 months, much of it Doggcrapp, I'm back now doing slightly more volume, I'm about a month into a stint with WS4SB (A good fit for me just now, having a lot on my plate and trying to do some sport too).

I'm still genuinely undecided on exactly where the sweet spot for me is volume wise, whether it's low or moderate I can usually keep progressive overload going. When I do fall down and feel 'broken' for a week or two, it's usually an external factor that is the culprit ... A heavy weekend away, a series of BJJ sparring sessions etc.

Lately I've been toying with doing something I'm never done and running a quite high volume programme. I'm looking at John Meadows' intermediate programme "Warlock", which is 2 upper, 2 lower, and runs for 8-10 weeks.

The exercise selection and sequencing is really on point and makes sense to me. Meadows was definitely a believer that people could handle more volume, even as naturals, than was normally suggested, but I'm in my early 40s and looking at "Warlock" on paper, it might be one to run going into the winter when my life is a little quieter.

The first upper body day, for example, has 9 exercises for 5 body parts, and 26 work sets. The first lower body day is glute/ham dominant and has about 20 work sets.

Meadows trained people on drugs and naturals and always believed that volume was an individual matter, some naturals can handle more than others. Looking at this on paper and knowing myself I would guess I would shave off several sets per workout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

I think as you've alluded to, it's all about the volume sweet spot that allows you to progressively overload within that 'practical hypertrophy rep range' of 6-12ish.

I'll often drop volume temporarily to help me get some extra weight on the bar, as it's generally easier to add reps to a challenging weight, than add weight to a large volume of reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

I'm into the second half of Warlock at the moment. For me at least despite a busy job and unpredictable schedule it's volume has been on the higher side but manageable.

That said I will occasionally skip an exercise like calf raises or pec dec flyes, but that's more to machine availability. They're definitely tough but I think manageable, slightly depending on time availability for upper body days.

That's coincidental!

Out of curiosity how long is it taking you per session? I would estimate 90 minutes but in fairness to him some of the final exercises are only two sets apiece with short rest periods.

I think part of the duration issue that concerns me is he recommends a full 3 minutes rest between a lot of main exercises, which can be for 3-4 sets.

The 3 minutes makes sense to me - you're setting up the best possible next work set by recovering that much - but on the other hand I think my days of looking forward to 90 minute workouts are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Legs are only taking me roughly an hour, the upperbody sessions can easily be around 90m especially the first one on the first block. Although some of that is waiting for equipment and but I don't always do as many feeder sets as he suggests or wait as long as prescribed. I also tend to superset some of the isolation work so was usually just over an hour by the end of that block. I should mention I also didn't do the 4x10 assisted pullups for that session which from having done the full session before are a huge time sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

What do you eat before a running race? I've been doing a few 5Ks. I eat a full boul of porridge with raisins thrown in an hour before the start of the race. Sometime between that and the start of the race I also have 3 tables spoons of Greek yoghurt and a golden delicious apple. I'm now thinking of having about half that amount of porridge, and making up for it by having a banana instead!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You probably haven't digested much of that at all. You'll be mostly running in whatever you ate last night. If you much eat, faster carbs would be better that porridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Does anyone regularly use the pure caffeine tabs from Bulk or MyProtein?

I'm looking to use them instead of coffee coming into the summer but there seems to be mixed reviews on their effectiveness.

I normally go with 4 espresso shots before a workout which I estimate at 280mg caffeine. The caffeine tablets list at 200mg each so I'd likely go with 1.5 tabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭swededmonkey

I'm very caffeine sensitive, but that sounds like a lot of coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rosalinda Eyes

I have a question. Say if I exercise over a 5 day repeating period... lets say push ups. Lets say I do two sets on day 1 (with a break of at least 5 minutes in between depending on what else I'm doing during the workout) and two sets on day 3. Now lets say some days I'm tired at the end of my workout, or short on time, and I decide to do the second set of push ups the next day. What effect (if any) would this have? The muscles are active more often, but aren't doing any more work in total.

Thanks

Basically, no difference. If it works for you, do it.

You move the recovery demand to the new day, but with pushups it's really not that big of a deal to do that, as compared to - for example - deadlifts.

Pushups coming out of my ears at the moment. Last week I did 336 over 2 workouts.

I'm confident that it works but I was just curious... there has to be some slight difference. It's actually not push ups though. It's a type of core exercise. What if it were dead lifts? Would it not be the same?

• Advertisement

It depends on the difficulty of the exercise. More difficulty = bigger recovery demands.

You can go for a walk and be recovered by tomorrow to do the walk again. Why? Because walking is extremely easy.

You cannot however break a heavy 3x5 deadlift workout over two days and get the same results. The reason why is because by day 2, you're still recovering from day 1, so you'd have to significantly reduce the weight.

So the real question is, where does the exercise you're doing fall within the spectrum of 'easy to hard'. I could do push-ups every day, but that's because I can do probably 50 or so in a row. 5 reps every day would be just 10% of my capacity. For someone who can barely do 5 reps, this would be a terrible idea.

To be honest, taking the approach of breaking a workout over a couple days is just a bad idea. At best, it will impede progress. At worst, you'll load things beyond what they can recover from and get hurt. Better to just plan your workouts smarter so you can get everything done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What's the best type of pushup to do for visible results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

A beginner might be able to progress just by adding reps and doing conventional pushups for a considerable amount of time. It might literally be 3x10 and going from there.

For some people who need it, I like "hand release" pushups to ensure something like a full ROM (Still need to make sure lock out occurs at the top even if doing hand release).

Once you can do a high amount of reps though you are potentially into lhaving to do a large volume to get the same training effect, those slow and challenging last reps where mechanical tension is high, and you might shorten rest periods or do them in a circuit to save time. Or you do a protocol like pyramids, ladders or whatever although sometimes feels like this is just about variation.

Your other option for advanced pushups is to add weight... vests, chains... or difficulty, by elevating feet, adding a pause, doing a deficit, doing a long eccentric, narrowing grip etc.

Objectively for progression a barbell or range of DBs is handier in this regard but pushups are a great accessory to push to failure on without much consequence.

They're also a great builder of the front of the body, for whatever reason people respond really well.

Thanks,

Well I never get DOMS afterwards in either case so I'm assuming there's not really much recovery involved. But I do find the exercise quite challenging to do. Sometimes if it's too near bed time that I find myself doing these, and if I've had a particularly stressful day, I'll just move the second set to the next day... as I'd have a bunch of other exercises to do anyway. So it makes life easier. I probably kick the can down the road like this a third of the time. I probably give too much time to my core. The exercise I'm talking about involves me lying flat on my back with my arms out (using dumbbells to keep them down) while I hold my legs straight (kept together) and then do a big circle with them. Do you know the one? I don't know what it's called. I do them quite slowly.

Post edited by Rosalinda Eyes on

No prob. DOMS and recovery are poorly correlated, but that's kind of an aside. I know the ab exercise you mean yeah.

I would say that core isolation exercises are probably some of the least bang for buck you could be spending time on. I certainly wouldn't do more than one in a session. Most people really only need 4-6 exercises in a session. If you're way over this, it might explain why you run out of time.

Sounds like it might be worth tapering back a little, maybe a more consistently do-able program.

If you're fried from work and life that's a valid reason to manage your load from training carefully.

Speaking of pushups, today was a 1 mile run, 600 flutter kicks and 200 pushups. A silly workout in many ways - but satisfying.

I thought the core is king! Isn’t that what you hear a lot lately? My physiotherapist was surprised at how good (for the exact word she used) muscles were. So what's the best bang for your buck exercise?

The core matters, but no more than your legs, arms etc. There’s a lot of unsupported claims around core training.

Big bang for buck exercises are multijoint ones that train multiple muscle groups at once (including the core) and are basic movement patterns for everyday life. These are things like squats, presses, deadlifts rows.

An example session I run beginners through:

A1 Barbell bench

A2 Goblet squat

A3 Dumbell row

B1 Sit up

B2 Back raise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I was going to say both but pecs if I have to choose one.

A few months ago I started doing pushups in the morning & evening. worked up to 25, 2 reps each time. Stopped doing it but want to start again.

Thanks,

Just to ask what's the name of that exercise that I do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Hi all. Could I get a recommendation for a basic fitness band/wearable, please? I suppose I'm mostly interested in monitoring my sleep, but accurate step counting would be useful too. Other bells and whistles aren't needed at the moment.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I must say to you, seeing as I asked you about forward head posture before, if you've came across this guy. Probably not, but I'm quite interested in his channel... he claims that forward head posture can be corrected. Here he talks about Jordan Peterson's forward head posture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tlRm1IS3TI

There’s a rule we should all live by on the internet:

‘If it sounds too good to be true..’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

One of the cheaper Fitbits, like the Inspire 2, would do. It gives more than I'd expected it to. Sleep and steps and then other bits and bobs like resting heart rate, calories etc.

Cheers. I've been drawn to the Inspire alright - seems to be exactly what I'm after!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I was given a fitbit Charge and when it died, I didn't want it enough to spend €150 to replace it. Got an Inspire which had more info on it than the Charge did anyway

Hi, could you tell me which of the 4 ab muscles this exercise I described is focusing on? I'm under the impression that it does the both obliques a lot, the transverse abs too, but that it does not do too much for the rectus abs.

Planks and situps work the rectus abd.

But this minutia is not something you need to focus on for your level of experience. Focus on those compounds I mentioned and you’ll get better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I'm a 40 year old male living in East Wall. I've been a regular gym goer in the area for a while now. I'd like to hang out with other gym goers in the area, to share advice and motivation. Hit me up if interested.

@Cill94 I know the ab exercise you mean yeah.

I found it. It's called the Cork Screw! it targets the transverse abdominis.

Transverse abdominals brace and compresses your core. It provides stability. It doesn't lift or rotate the pelvis like the rectus abs or oblique abs. Which is what the movement in that exercise. In short its working all the abs and not isolating the transverse abdominis significantly.

There are ways to isolate the transverse abdominis.

• Advertisement

Is this what you meant to say?

"It doesn't lift or rotate the pelvis like the rectus abs or oblique abs do... which is what the movement in that exercise does."?

The instructor in that video said it worked the transverse abs. Is she wrong?

And what ways are there to isolate the transverse abdominis?

I said: "It doesn't lift or rotate the pelvis like the rectus abs or oblique abs". Which is want I meant.

Adding "do" to the end of the sentence doesn't change anything. The second sentence should end with is, not does if you're going to be pedantic. The muscles create the movement.

I find you response a bit strange tbh. And I'n not sure why you are obsessed with a single ab muscle. That kind of minutiae is probably not helping your training.

I think what confused me was the fact that you put a full stop (instead of a comma) before the word 'Which', which shouldn't shouldn't have been a new sentence, which should've also had the word 'does' at the end of it!

Anyway, is the instructor wrong? And if she is, then how do you target your transverse abs?

I think this is what we're looking for, for training the transverse abs.

Post edited by Rosalinda Eyes on

Anyone here know much about exercising the lower abs?

Interesting video here

And this one too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVgPzOqaLO8

So you were confused because the below was two separate related sentences, instead of a single sentence with a comma. I'm sorry but that's pretty ridiculous.

It doesn't lift or rotate the pelvis like the rectus abs or oblique abs. Which is what the movement...

The exercise does target the transverse abs. I don't how to make that less confusing for you.

But I see now you are focusing on lower abs. There is no lower ab muscle. It's an area of a single muscle. Maybe stop obsesing over youtubers who just want clicks

• Advertisement
Advertisement