Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

I'm into the second half of Warlock at the moment. For me at least despite a busy job and unpredictable schedule it's volume has been on the higher side but manageable.

That said I will occasionally skip an exercise like calf raises or pec dec flyes, but that's more to machine availability. They're definitely tough but I think manageable, slightly depending on time availability for upper body days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

That's coincidental!

Out of curiosity how long is it taking you per session? I would estimate 90 minutes but in fairness to him some of the final exercises are only two sets apiece with short rest periods.

I think part of the duration issue that concerns me is he recommends a full 3 minutes rest between a lot of main exercises, which can be for 3-4 sets.

The 3 minutes makes sense to me - you're setting up the best possible next work set by recovering that much - but on the other hand I think my days of looking forward to 90 minute workouts are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Legs are only taking me roughly an hour, the upperbody sessions can easily be around 90m especially the first one on the first block. Although some of that is waiting for equipment and but I don't always do as many feeder sets as he suggests or wait as long as prescribed. I also tend to superset some of the isolation work so was usually just over an hour by the end of that block. I should mention I also didn't do the 4x10 assisted pullups for that session which from having done the full session before are a huge time sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

What do you eat before a running race? I've been doing a few 5Ks. I eat a full boul of porridge with raisins thrown in an hour before the start of the race. Sometime between that and the start of the race I also have 3 tables spoons of Greek yoghurt and a golden delicious apple. I'm now thinking of having about half that amount of porridge, and making up for it by having a banana instead!?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,100 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You probably haven't digested much of that at all. You'll be mostly running in whatever you ate last night. If you much eat, faster carbs would be better that porridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Does anyone regularly use the pure caffeine tabs from Bulk or MyProtein?

I'm looking to use them instead of coffee coming into the summer but there seems to be mixed reviews on their effectiveness.

I normally go with 4 espresso shots before a workout which I estimate at 280mg caffeine. The caffeine tablets list at 200mg each so I'd likely go with 1.5 tabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

I'm very caffeine sensitive, but that sounds like a lot of coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rosalinda Eyes

I have a question. Say if I exercise over a 5 day repeating period... lets say push ups. Lets say I do two sets on day 1 (with a break of at least 5 minutes in between depending on what else I'm doing during the workout) and two sets on day 3. Now lets say some days I'm tired at the end of my workout, or short on time, and I decide to do the second set of push ups the next day. What effect (if any) would this have? The muscles are active more often, but aren't doing any more work in total.

Thanks

Basically, no difference. If it works for you, do it.

You move the recovery demand to the new day, but with pushups it's really not that big of a deal to do that, as compared to - for example - deadlifts.

Pushups coming out of my ears at the moment. Last week I did 336 over 2 workouts.

I'm confident that it works but I was just curious... there has to be some slight difference. It's actually not push ups though. It's a type of core exercise. What if it were dead lifts? Would it not be the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

It depends on the difficulty of the exercise. More difficulty = bigger recovery demands.

You can go for a walk and be recovered by tomorrow to do the walk again. Why? Because walking is extremely easy.

You cannot however break a heavy 3x5 deadlift workout over two days and get the same results. The reason why is because by day 2, you're still recovering from day 1, so you'd have to significantly reduce the weight.

So the real question is, where does the exercise you're doing fall within the spectrum of 'easy to hard'. I could do push-ups every day, but that's because I can do probably 50 or so in a row. 5 reps every day would be just 10% of my capacity. For someone who can barely do 5 reps, this would be a terrible idea.

To be honest, taking the approach of breaking a workout over a couple days is just a bad idea. At best, it will impede progress. At worst, you'll load things beyond what they can recover from and get hurt. Better to just plan your workouts smarter so you can get everything done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What's the best type of pushup to do for visible results?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

A beginner might be able to progress just by adding reps and doing conventional pushups for a considerable amount of time. It might literally be 3x10 and going from there.

For some people who need it, I like "hand release" pushups to ensure something like a full ROM (Still need to make sure lock out occurs at the top even if doing hand release).

Once you can do a high amount of reps though you are potentially into lhaving to do a large volume to get the same training effect, those slow and challenging last reps where mechanical tension is high, and you might shorten rest periods or do them in a circuit to save time. Or you do a protocol like pyramids, ladders or whatever although sometimes feels like this is just about variation.

Your other option for advanced pushups is to add weight... vests, chains... or difficulty, by elevating feet, adding a pause, doing a deficit, doing a long eccentric, narrowing grip etc.

Objectively for progression a barbell or range of DBs is handier in this regard but pushups are a great accessory to push to failure on without much consequence.

They're also a great builder of the front of the body, for whatever reason people respond really well.

Thanks,

Well I never get DOMS afterwards in either case so I'm assuming there's not really much recovery involved. But I do find the exercise quite challenging to do. Sometimes if it's too near bed time that I find myself doing these, and if I've had a particularly stressful day, I'll just move the second set to the next day... as I'd have a bunch of other exercises to do anyway. So it makes life easier. I probably kick the can down the road like this a third of the time. I probably give too much time to my core. The exercise I'm talking about involves me lying flat on my back with my arms out (using dumbbells to keep them down) while I hold my legs straight (kept together) and then do a big circle with them. Do you know the one? I don't know what it's called. I do them quite slowly.

Post edited by Rosalinda Eyes on

No prob. DOMS and recovery are poorly correlated, but that's kind of an aside. I know the ab exercise you mean yeah.

I would say that core isolation exercises are probably some of the least bang for buck you could be spending time on. I certainly wouldn't do more than one in a session. Most people really only need 4-6 exercises in a session. If you're way over this, it might explain why you run out of time.

Sounds like it might be worth tapering back a little, maybe a more consistently do-able program.

If you're fried from work and life that's a valid reason to manage your load from training carefully.

Speaking of pushups, today was a 1 mile run, 600 flutter kicks and 200 pushups. A silly workout in many ways - but satisfying.

I thought the core is king! Isn’t that what you hear a lot lately? My physiotherapist was surprised at how good (for the exact word she used) muscles were. So what's the best bang for your buck exercise?

The core matters, but no more than your legs, arms etc. There’s a lot of unsupported claims around core training.

Big bang for buck exercises are multijoint ones that train multiple muscle groups at once (including the core) and are basic movement patterns for everyday life. These are things like squats, presses, deadlifts rows.

An example session I run beginners through:

A1 Barbell bench

A2 Goblet squat

A3 Dumbell row

B1 Sit up

B2 Back raise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I was going to say both but pecs if I have to choose one.

A few months ago I started doing pushups in the morning & evening. worked up to 25, 2 reps each time. Stopped doing it but want to start again.

Thanks,

Just to ask what's the name of that exercise that I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Hi all. Could I get a recommendation for a basic fitness band/wearable, please? I suppose I'm mostly interested in monitoring my sleep, but accurate step counting would be useful too. Other bells and whistles aren't needed at the moment.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,100 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I must say to you, seeing as I asked you about forward head posture before, if you've came across this guy. Probably not, but I'm quite interested in his channel... he claims that forward head posture can be corrected. Here he talks about Jordan Peterson's forward head posture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tlRm1IS3TI

There’s a rule we should all live by on the internet:

‘If it sounds too good to be true..’

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

One of the cheaper Fitbits, like the Inspire 2, would do. It gives more than I'd expected it to. Sleep and steps and then other bits and bobs like resting heart rate, calories etc.

Cheers. I've been drawn to the Inspire alright - seems to be exactly what I'm after!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I was given a fitbit Charge and when it died, I didn't want it enough to spend €150 to replace it. Got an Inspire which had more info on it than the Charge did anyway

Advertisement