Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Thanks everyone for the push-up help, the only reason I asked was because I kept seeing videos of guys doing loads of push ups but barely straightening their arms, nevermind locking them

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Anyone know the location of a pull up bar (or something that could conceivably be used as one) in public within 5k of central Dublin? Am having an extraordinarily difficult time finding anything suitable (in.parks etc. )

I know in Belgrave park between Rathmines & Ranelagh there's a few trees, pretty sure a guy cut around a branch during the first lockdown in order to use it for pull ups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Mellor wrote: »
    But it’s not progressing..

I think your approach is well-reasoned and could work great. I've just found the more conservative approach to work better for myself and people I coach, as the worst case scenario is you find it's not enough and you just add a bit more work (although I rarely have to do this). I've seen a lot of people go ham on volume for things like push-ups and pull-ups and **** elbows or shoulders up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Anyone know the location of a pull up bar (or something that could conceivably be used as one) in public within 5k of central Dublin? Am having an extraordinarily difficult time finding anything suitable (in.parks etc. )

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dublin/comments/fj35pc/calisthenicsstreet_workout_park_around_the_center/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

RedRochey wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the push-up help, the only reason I asked was because I kept seeing videos of guys doing loads of push ups but barely straightening their arms, nevermind locking them

I know in Belgrave park between Rathmines & Ranelagh there's a few trees, pretty sure a guy cut around a branch during the first lockdown in order to use it for pull ups

Mountjoy Square or Gardiner Street (Diamond Park) both have areas that could be used.

Used to use the Gardiner Street one when in work all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I've been trying to do a body weight workout each day during lockdown. Currently doing sets of:
    Push Ups
    Planks
    Dips
    Burpees

Any suggestions for what I should be adding to those, don't have any home exercise equipment or weights unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I've been trying to do a body weight workout each day during lockdown. Currently doing sets of:
    Push Ups
    Planks
    Dips
    Burpees

Any suggestions for what I should be adding to those, don't have any home exercise equipment or weights unfortunately.

In exercise selection terms you’re lacking options for the lower body and for the back.

For the lower body you can perform air squats, lunges and Bulgarian split squats.

The back is harder without equipment but door frame rows or table rows are possible.

More broadly the issue for so many people at home is how they are programming to improve over several weeks / months. Keep track of sets, reps, and add either where you can. Shortening rest periods is another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd second all of the above. Make sure to add in the lower body exercises and try to some form of pulling exercise like rows.

I'd also drop burpees. People butcher the bejaysus out of them but they seem to be popular because they're tiring.

Just to the exercises - good selection given by Black Sheep - with a decent intensity of effort and throw in some form of cardio at the end if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

I'm following GZCLP program. Last week managed bench at 67.5kg for 5 sets of 3. Today i was due to do 5 sets of 3 at 70kg. Well i just couldn't lift it not even 1 rep :( feeling deflated . I unracked the bar touched it to chest and had no power to lift it up past maybe 6 inches.
    After failing you go to 6 sets of 2 at same weight next week , if i fail that which seems inevitable i move to 10 sets of 1 at same weight. I can't imagine doing that either but maybe today was a weak day.
    Anyway its not mentioned in plan what to do if you fail and i wanted to do some exercise that would help me next week so did 3 sets of 10 at 60kg.
    I'm struggling to see how i'll be able to ever lift much above 70-80kg on bench , should i buy fractional plates now and accept that the jumps will be much smaller. Or has it happened to anyone here they couldn't lift 70 say a year ago but can do 90-100 now are them types of jumps possible eventually? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you previously hit 67.5x3, your 1rm should be 71-72kg, and 2rm should be 70kg it so.
    You probably just had an off day. Try 70kg again, you’ll probably get it. Increasing takes time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

if you can do 67.5 5x3 it does just sound like a high gravity day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

new2tri19 wrote: »
    I'm following GZCLP program. Last week managed bench at 67.5kg for 5 sets of 3. Today i was due to do 5 sets of 3 at 70kg. Well i just couldn't lift it not even 1 rep :( feeling deflated . I unracked the bar touched it to chest and had no power to lift it up past maybe 6 inches.
    After failing you go to 6 sets of 2 at same weight next week , if i fail that which seems inevitable i move to 10 sets of 1 at same weight. I can't imagine doing that either but maybe today was a weak day.
    Anyway its not mentioned in plan what to do if you fail and i wanted to do some exercise that would help me next week so did 3 sets of 10 at 60kg.
    I'm struggling to see how i'll be able to ever lift much above 70-80kg on bench , should i buy fractional plates now and accept that the jumps will be much smaller. Or has it happened to anyone here they couldn't lift 70 say a year ago but can do 90-100 now are them types of jumps possible eventually? Thanks

So the good news is based on what you've said here you most likely didn't fail due to strength. You did 15 reps of a weight that was only 2.5kg lighter than what you did for 0 this week. (Side note have you been doing the last set as an AMRAP? You said before you were only doing them on squat and deadlift I think?)

As others have said it could just be an off day, everybody has them. You could have built up more fatigue than you thought.

It's pretty likely your technique had a big impact. Bench despite what many think is one of the more technical lifts. It is quite possible that compared to last week you changed something in your set up or didn't keep the same par path and thus made the weight a lot harder than the actual weight on the par should have. It's not a big deal and just part of being a beginner.

If you already have plates enabling a 2.5kg jump I'm not sure how much more fractional you want to go? I certainly wouldn't at this stage.

Your eventual potential is tied to your bodyweight and sex but certainly if you're an adult man 80kg is absolutely possible and you're really not that far off it now. Going from 70-90/100kg in a year is also well within the realms of possibility for most men. I'd say most male beginners make such gains in their first 1/2 years though of course there will be outliers either way. It's mostly just about consistency and effort.

If you're looking for technique guides https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji5ieq8JdnQ -is the first in a three part series from Brian Alsruhe (other good videos out there from the likes of Calgary Barbell and Juggernaut Training

If you don't like Youtube videos the definitive written guide: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/how-to-bench/

So the good news is based on what you've said here you most likely didn't fail due to strength. You did 15 reps of a weight that was only 2.5kg lighter than what you did for 0 this week. (Side note have you been doing the last set as an AMRAP? You said before you were only doing them on squat and deadlift I think?)

As others have said it could just be an off day, everybody has them. You could have built up more fatigue than you thought.

It's pretty likely your technique had a big impact. Bench despite what many think is one of the more technical lifts. It is quite possible that compared to last week you changed something in your set up or didn't keep the same par path and thus made the weight a lot harder than the actual weight on the par should have. It's not a big deal and just part of being a beginner.

If you already have plates enabling a 2.5kg jump I'm not sure how much more fractional you want to go? I certainly wouldn't at this stage.

Your eventual potential is tied to your bodyweight and sex but certainly if you're an adult man 80kg is absolutely possible and you're really not that far off it now. Going from 70-90/100kg in a year is also well within the realms of possibility for most men. I'd say most male beginners make such gains in their first 1/2 years though of course there will be outliers either way. It's mostly just about consistency and effort.

If you're looking for technique guides https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji5ieq8JdnQ -is the first in a three part series from Brian Alsruhe (other good videos out there from the likes of Calgary Barbell and Juggernaut Training

If you don't like Youtube videos the definitive written guide: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/how-to-bench/

Thanks for the advice guys , last week 67.5 was a real struggle the first rep was okish but by the time got to the 3rd rep of each set it was really hard to lock out but got it just. So there was no armap last week as 3 was the max reps.

I probably had the wrong mindset going into it, i was remembering how hard it was last week and thinking this is going to be a real struggle.

I think my form is ok i have watched a fair few videos will have a look at the ones linked thanks. I touch the bar off my chest and follow the bar path thats recommended in videos close enough. That intial push off chest i struggle with the most.

I'll chalk it down to a weak day as everything else felt really difficult aswell. I found myself reducing weights on a few accessorie excercises near the end as i just felt weak.

Yes the strong app i use says my 1 RM is 71 so its very close to my max.

Thanks guys

Them videos linked where really helpful watched the video right before attempting 70kg again and managed to get it. It wasn't bench day so i just did 2 at 70kg so feeling more confident now thanks.

Another triathlete i swim with started lifting around the same time as me and is following the same plan, he is lifting heavier than me on squats and deadlifts (although i am not maxed out yet on these) but he hasn't gained a pound of weight. He has jokingly suggested i am not doing this naturally but i have gone as far as send him what i eat each day. We seem to be eating the same things and doing same workouts and where at the same weight roughly starting. Can genetics play a roll ?

Another triathlete i swim with started lifting around the same time as me and is following the same plan, he is lifting heavier than me on squats and deadlifts (although i am not maxed out yet on these) but he hasn't gained a pound of weight.

Can genetics play a roll ?

Unfortunately yeah. When you lift for long enough you realise that genetics plays a massive role. At the same time, there’s nothing you can do about it so it’s pointless to worry about. There will always be someone stronger than.

Them videos linked where really helpful watched the video right before attempting 70kg again and managed to get it. It wasn't bench day so i just did 2 at 70kg so feeling more confident now thanks.

Another triathlete i swim with started lifting around the same time as me and is following the same plan, he is lifting heavier than me on squats and deadlifts (although i am not maxed out yet on these) but he hasn't gained a pound of weight. He has jokingly suggested i am not doing this naturally but i have gone as far as send him what i eat each day. We seem to be eating the same things and doing same workouts and where at the same weight roughly starting. Can genetics play a roll ?

It could also be better neuromuscular adaptation and being a bit more mechanically efficient. You can get stronger without putting on much size, especially at the start.

It could also be that in fact his diet is not as adequate for mass gain as yours, even if he thinks it is.

People really have an inherently poor sense of both the overall calories they’re eating, and the macros.

If his body composition has changed and he’s the same weight then he still could have gained lean muscle mass. If his body composition is unchanged and he’s the same weight then he’s either completely sandbagging in the gym or he’s not eating enough to support any adaptation and mass gain. Or could be both ;)

Triathletes wouldn’t strike me as optimal mass gainers at the best of times. You’re an outlier!

Ah yes could be anything thanks for advice I'll let him know he's probably sandbagging :) .
    He hasn't increased his diet that much he always ate more than me so just added some protein shakes.
    His body composition hasn't changed at all really that's what's annoying him , he's still very strong though and probably has a few more beers than he says :).

Well i only started triathlon in 2019 as was unhappy with how running was making me feel which was very weak at anything other than running . Moved to triathlon as I figured it was a healthier lifestyle. I think people are much more aware of the importance of weight training now and it's certainly something I noticed going from running to triathlon alot more triathletes hit the gym .I'm not that good a runner or triathlete to be ever concerned about winning races and too old to think about it . So I just want to be the healthiest I can be , weight training im really enjoying now especially love deadlifts and squats my back has never felt stronger .
    My father was big into cycling and running and can barely walk now very underweight no muscle mass , he never weight trained and now in early 60's struggles to walk , doctor recommended he starts pilates and some light weight training but he's just too weak. This alone is spurring me on not to neglect the importance of weight training as I'm 40 now not getting younger .
    It's great to see the changes in your body also my tee shirts are all too tight and too short now and same with all my jeans I'll need a whole new wardrobe. Most people comment now I look much healthier so it's a win win.

So thanks lads alot of people like myself don't like going to the gym as it's a bit intimating starting off so it's forums like this and YouTube videos etc which are a godsend for some pointers. I'll be honest the day I got that barbell delivered to the door I think the delivery driver was laughing at me struggling to lift it in , I remember walking to the shed with it and attempting to rack it but my arms where tired from the walk and I thought what the heck am I doing here I'm not cut out for this , but I'm delighted I stuck it out . Sorry I'm going on a bit now !!

I've found this forum great over the years. There have always been people who posted here regularly willing and able to offer good advice so always ask away.

Ultimately, focus on your own numbers. Enjoy your own progres and don't compare with others because you'll see in time, it's always only ever you vs you.

I'll be honest the day I got that barbell delivered to the door I think the delivery driver was laughing at me struggling to lift it in , I remember walking to the shed with it and attempting to rack it but my arms where tired from the walk and I thought what the heck am I doing here I'm not cut out for this , but I'm delighted I stuck it out . Sorry I'm going on a bit now !!

This reminds me of being in a gym many years ago, and an Eastern European coach was showing me his 16kg kettlebell. He had brought it with him from Lithuania, and explained that it had been with him since he used it to pass his schoolboy P.E test. Students were required to press it overhead a certain amount of times. Can't recall exactly, but could have been ten reps per side, maybe more.

Anyway, I was so weak at the time I could only press it overhead a single time... And very shakily at that. He didn't laugh, I'd say he was more focused on trying to hide the embarrassment he probably felt on my behalf!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

So thanks lads alot of people like myself don't like going to the gym as it's a bit intimating starting off so it's forums like this and YouTube videos etc which are a godsend for some pointers. I'll be honest the day I got that barbell delivered to the door I think the delivery driver was laughing at me struggling to lift it in , I remember walking to the shed with it and attempting to rack it but my arms where tired from the walk and I thought what the heck am I doing here I'm not cut out for this , but I'm delighted I stuck it out . Sorry I'm going on a bit now !!

I remember buying a set of 5kg vinyl dumbells in Colm O'Rourke's shop years ago, I was 13 and very overweight, he was also a teacher in the school I went to, he didn't laugh or smirk, just said to be careful and that it was a good thing to 'get into', they were so heavy, I walked home with them on the saddle of my bike lol, could barely do a curl, that was the beginning for me, still have them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

bladespin wrote: »
    I remember buying a set of 5kg vinyl dumbells in Colm O'Rourke's shop years ago, I was 13 and very overweight, he was also a teacher in the school I went to, he didn't laugh or smirk, just said to be careful and that it was a good thing to 'get into', they were so heavy, I walked home with them on the saddle of my bike lol, could barely do a curl, that was the beginning for me, still have them too.

I started the same myself except I travelled to a neighbouring town with my mother on the bus when I was around 11. I bought 2 dumbbells with vinyl weights. Still have them 30 years later. Fcuk, I feel old now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

First ones I got were these 1, 2 and 4.5kg plastic DBs in Argos 20 ish years ago. I now use the 4.5kgs behind my bench to stop it sliding backwards when pressing!

Quick question please i have completed the 12week spreadsheet for gzclp would you just keep going or deload or take a rest week? Unsure what to do next i'm still adding weight each week. The progression is 5x3 reps if you fail you do 6x2 reps and then fail again its 10x1 rep (which i havent got to yet on any lift).

Bench started at 50 now at 72.5 for 6 sets of 2 , probably won't make 75 so will end up at 10x 1 soon enough
    Squat started at 50 now at 90 still very easy to add weight each week
    ohp started at 20 now at 50 for 6 sets of 2 , again like bench 52.5 will likely be a struggle so could be on 10x 1 soon
    Deadlift started at 50 now at 110 still easy enough to add weight.

I'll need to buy more plates for deadlft and squat as only got to 150kg at home. But thats no bother. The advice on the spreadsheet is to start again now with 85% of your 5 rep max. But i'm guessing that if you start at correct weight you would have failed all lifts by 12 weeks but i started at a comfortable weight on week 1 so am still making noob gains.

So would you keep going till failure at 10x1 on all lifts or stop now and do a 5 rep max test? thanks.

Quick question please.

Some general rules of thumb for deloads are to take them: when your weights start getting very grindy, you feel very fatigued, and you might be starting to feel some aches and pains in the joints (ideally you should deload before that point).

I'm not super familiar with the programme, but I personally don't see a need to do a 5RM if you're still progressing, as it won't tell you anything you don't already know, and will probably put a dent in your recovery. If you're adding weight to your regular working sets, you're getting stronger. Save the max tests for when you plateau on work sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Follow the program.
    Keep going until you miss 10x1. You’d be surprised how far you might grind it.
    Deloading now will probably just be a month delay to be back to same spot.

Mellor wrote: »
    Follow the program.
    Keep going until you miss 10x1. You’d be surprised how far you might grind it.
    Deloading now will probably just be a month delay to be back to same spot.

Thanks guys, yeah thats exactly what I was thinking , I played with the spreadsheet and 5reps max at 85% would put me back over a month so it didn't seem ideal for a newbie lifter .

I'll keep an eye on achy muscles , I've had maybe 1 or 2 days I felt weak and tired lifting but generally it's been from a rough day of cardio prior to lifting and me trying to squeeze the session in late at night.

I'll keep an eye on achy muscles , I've had maybe 1 or 2 days I felt weak and tired lifting but generally it's been from a rough day of cardio prior to lifting and me trying to squeeze the session in late at night.

Yeah it takes some time to develop the awareness of the difference between a bad workout and a need to deload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 donottroll

How clean do you need to eat?

I'm at a stage where I'm deadlifting 150kg and making really good progression.

I'd consider my diet very good, get the right amount of calories and good protein intake etc. I'm still aiming to put on a bit more weight as I progress. Currently at 78kg and 174cm.

But it's getting to the stage where I feel like I like my weight but not the fat.

I've been trying to eat much cleaner.

Is 1 chocolate bar with a cup of tea post dinner too much junk food? Should it be more like 1 chocolate bar a week?
    Aside from that I don't eat any crap food, fizzy drinks, crisps etc.

donottroll wrote: »
    How clean do you need to eat?

I'm at a stage where I'm deadlifting 150kg and making really good progression.

I'd consider my diet very good, get the right amount of calories and good protein intake etc. I'm still aiming to put on a bit more weight as I progress. Currently at 78kg and 174cm.

But it's getting to the stage where I feel like I like my weight but not the fat.

I've been trying to eat much cleaner.

Is 1 chocolate bar with a cup of tea post dinner too much junk food? Should it be more like 1 chocolate bar a week?
    Aside from that I don't eat any crap food, fizzy drinks, crisps etc.

If you know your macros and calorie intake, as you imply, you should know already what a chocolate bar a day means for them.

I think a twix is about 300 calories. Some bars are closer to 500.

Seven days a week it’s a fair amount of extra calories but depends on your goals really. You’re not trying to get lean or lose weight, right?

If that’s your only vice it’s not the worst. Might be sensible to move towards half a bar or a square of dark chocolate over time, if it bothers you.

With your goal, to me you should mainly just be looking to eat high quality whole food meals, as anabolic as possible, and train hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Eat your chocolate bar. Relax.

Advertisement