Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

donottroll wrote: »
    How clean do you need to eat?

I'm at a stage where I'm deadlifting 150kg and making really good progression.

I'd consider my diet very good, get the right amount of calories and good protein intake etc. I'm still aiming to put on a bit more weight as I progress. Currently at 78kg and 174cm.

But it's getting to the stage where I feel like I like my weight but not the fat.

I've been trying to eat much cleaner.

Is 1 chocolate bar with a cup of tea post dinner too much junk food? Should it be more like 1 chocolate bar a week?
    Aside from that I don't eat any crap food, fizzy drinks, crisps etc.

Losing fat is about eating less food than energy you burn over a given time. Not about how clean you eat.

In general, if you want to build muscle, you'll need additional calories to allow your body to increase muscle protein synthesis (this will increase metabolic rate). And if you want to burn body fat, you'll need to reduce calories.

Obviously this two approaches are in conflict. While it is possible to do both of these at once. The margin to do so it pretty narrow, go it's generally agreed that it is best to do one or the other at a given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Eat your chocolate bar. Relax.

This. In the grand scheme, the effect it could have on your performance or health is negligible. I cut close to 10kg this year and ate a yorkie every day. The whole day of eating is what matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Cill94 wrote: »
    This. In the grand scheme, the effect it could have on your performance or health is negligible. I cut close to 10kg this year and ate a yorkie every day. The whole day of eating is what matters.

Sooooo if I want to lose 10kg, I have to eat a yorkie every day?

I wish to subscribe to your 'taken out of context' newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sooooo if I want to lose 10kg, I have to eat a yorkie every day?

I wish to subscribe to your 'taken out of context' newsletter

You could easily loose 10kg and still have a yorkie each day, 2 even.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

bladespin wrote: »
    You could easily loose 10kg and still have a yorkie each day, 2 even.

4pt562.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 donottroll

If its a purple yorkie with raisins its even healthier for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

All this talk of Yorkies and getting jacked kind of reminds me of their old "It's not for girls" advertising slogan. Can't believe they literally used to put the icon for woman on the bar and put a big red bar through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

4pt562.jpg

Tis, carbs and fats, all nice calories if that's how you prefer to have them :cool:
    Still better for you than a pint IMO but that's a whole other debate.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDxrHfug1gWrese9p0xg1SaNWJPV55Mkwyqg&usqp=CAU

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Cill94 wrote: »

Yorkies boost test by a factor of 17.

All this talk of Yorkies and getting jacked kind of reminds me of their old "It's not for girls" advertising slogan. Can't believe they literally used to put the icon for woman on the bar and put a big red bar through it!

But...its not for girls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's actually my favourite bar. I think it tasted better because I was eating it in defiance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

What if it's the Yorkie Raisin & Biscuit? Because they're fúcking sensational.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What if it's the Yorkie Raisin & Biscuit? Because they're fúcking sensational.

Yep, that's my one of choice.

They went in the wrong direction altogether adding shíte to the Yorkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

They went in the wrong direction altogether adding shíte to the Yorkie.
    The day it went from 6 to 5 chunks was a sad day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Is the honeycomb yorkie still a thing? That was unreal.

Is the honeycomb yorkie still a thing? That was unreal.

That became one of my main meals (plus coffee) - both from a Belfield vending machine - for the last few months of my finals.

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The day it went from 6 to 5 chunks was a sad day

True but now they have the Yorkie Duo, in all its glory

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Machine Hack Squat - half a question half a tip, I changed around what I was doing in an attempt to "build back better " when the gyms reopened so more variety. I had done a little bit of machine Hack Squat back in Jan but didnt enjoy it, I'd been shown it as a feet down on the plate but it was giving me the most uncomfortable feeling in my knees that I didnt get from any other kind of squat. anyhoo had come across the tip of putting reverse bands on the machine to make it lighter at the end, and also put my feet high and wide as my heels were rising the other way. Totally different experience , can go ass to grass and heels dont rise and no sensation in the knees. the question part is, if I give it say 7 or 8 weeks this way, would a decent strategy be to start edging the feet down the plate, im more interested to see if I can get through the obstacle as opposed to what the muscle focus is, or is there some mobility exercise that would help with the heels rising?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

silverharp wrote: »
    the question part is, if I give it say 7 or 8 weeks this way, would a decent strategy be to start edging the feet down the plate, im more interested to see if I can get through the obstacle as opposed to what the muscle focus is, or is there some mobility exercise that would help with the heels rising?

I think heels rising in any form of squat is usually to do with ankle flexibility mainly. There are loads of videos available for work on's for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    I think heels rising in any form of squat is usually to do with ankle flexibility mainly. There are loads of videos available for work on's for that.

Ankle and hip mobility I would say. Mobility drills needed for posterior chain and hips.

IMO putting plates under the heels papers over cracks that should be addressed with mobility work.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I remember the old days Hanley wouldn't let me barbell squat for months, I was doing daily ankle drills til I was allowed
    Do some mobility screening, there's videos on YouTube on how to do them and see how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Kamu

bluewolf wrote: »
    I remember the old days Hanley wouldn't let me squat for months, I was doing daily ankle drills til I was allowed
    Do some mobility screening, there's videos on YouTube on how to do them and see how you get on

This, I even bought the weightlifting shoes with a raised heel and my left heel still continued to raise off the ground.

My ankles/calves are extremely tight. My hips are loosey goosey ( I can easily sit crossed leg).

Mobility work is some of the most rewarding yet frustrating. It is slow to see progress, very slow to the extent you might even believe there is no progress.

However, if you keep at it, it improves a wide range of activities and recovery.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Sounds like there is a mobility issue here but whatever fix you introduce, keep in mind the purpose of the hack squat machine.

This is the machine equivalent of doing high bar squats or front squats. What they all have in common is a focus on the quads that goes hand-in-hand with needing to 'break' at the knees. It is always going to be marginally more challenging on the knees to an extent.

If the OP is doing what I think he is with his foot placement, putting them pretty far out in front, then TBH it may defeat the purpose of the hack squat machine, if becomes a kind of box squat type movement that ends up loading the hamstrings as much or more than the quads. It won't do any harm... But if someone programmed the hack squat for you with a view to it being for your quads, then worth bearing in mind...

In fairness, OP does mention bringing the foot placement in gradually. I think that's worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

#toesquats

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sounds like there is a mobility issue here but whatever fix you introduce, keep in mind the purpose of the hack squat machine.

This is the machine equivalent of doing high bar squats or front squats. What they all have in common is a focus on the quads that goes hand-in-hand with needing to 'break' at the knees. It is always going to be marginally more challenging on the knees to an extent.

If the OP is doing what I think he is with his foot placement, putting them pretty far out in front, then TBH it may defeat the purpose of the hack squat machine, if becomes a kind of box squat type movement that ends up loading the hamstrings as much or more than the quads. It won't do any harm... But if someone programmed the hack squat for you with a view to it being for your quads, then worth bearing in mind...

In fairness, OP does mention bringing the foot placement in gradually. I think that's worth a shot.

Ive seen people raise their heels doing normal back squats but never had that issue, I don't find the front squat all that comfortable not knees though, I do one front squat warmup set of 10 as an opening set before switching to back when doing squats.
    Im not in a rush with this one, obviously still catching up for the lost 6 weeks and I hadn't done the hack squat since before the first lockdown. I suspect the bands are helping a lot so should be able to start moving the feet down soon

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Guys, I've lost over 5kg since start of lockdown from starting weight off 74kg. Pretty much all of it would be muscle mass.

I was considering building a weight cage but never got around to it.
    I've got access to a York multi gym but it is not the same obviously.

What can I do to stop the wastage and get back on track?

Guys, I've lost over 5kg since start of lockdown from starting weight off 74kg. Pretty much all of it would be muscle mass.

I was considering building a weight cage but never got around to it.
    I've got access to a York multi gym but it is not the same obviously.

What can I do to stop the wastage and get back on track?

Eat more. Eat more protein. Use whatever you can do generate resistance.

What, if any, equipment do you have? Nothing you have will be the same as having access to a gym but you can use what you have to minimise muscle loss.

I had a 25kg sandbag for first lockdown and a set of resistance bands. Strength didn't fall off a cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Got this. The bar for chest press etc is awful as it didn't glide up and down the guides freely.

Doing about 4 sets of 12 reps for all exercises listed.

• Advertisement

Got this. The bar for chest press etc is awful as it didn't glide up and down the guides freely.

Doing about 4 sets of 12 reps for all exercises listed.

4x12 might be right or might be pointless, depending on the level of exertion.

Pack heavy things around the house into a backpack and do single leg work. Involve tempos and pauses. Use the bag to do hip hinge exercises.

There are a million different ways to get some work done with little equipment. You can make hard exercises with light weights by manipulating other variables.

Get some bands as well. They will never not be useful.

Advertisement