Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

How much effect does sensible alcohol consumption have on cardio?

Would 4 bottles of beer on a Sunday night have an effect on swimming long distances come Tuesday evening?

Usually 1.5km is no issue, but I had been abstaining from drink for a while, (as I focused on cardio) and my Tuesday evening swim was awful. Not sure if the alcohol could have been a factor.

Curious to know if I need to abstain completely when training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Dumbbell or plate on top of the the feet does the trick. Feet get used to the pressure after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t think you’re drinking enough or near enough to the swim for it to be a concern.

More likely to be something related to sleep, nutrition, or training structure. Or maybe you just had one bad workout! It happens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

That's great, cheers for the reply.

Sounds ridiculous, but was hoping not to have to abstain from alcohol completely to maintain a fairly decent level of cardio.

• Advertisement

No prob. I know plenty of very fit people who regularly have a drink. Not something you'd have to almost knock on the head entirely unless you were at a very high level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Looking for feedback on the routine that I have been doing. Keen to get thoughts on exercise selection, volume, and anything I should add.

3 days per week I do the following routine. No massive goals, the only aim is to maintain a decent level of fitness and shape.

Split squat – 5x5

Lying hamstring curl – 5x5

Seated leg curl – 5x5

V-Bar pulldown – 5x5

Dumbell row – 5x5

Dips – 5x5

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Repeating the same workout 3 times per week, week in week out, is not optimal. I would look to write yourself a "B" and "C" workout so that you're only repeating a workout every third session.

There are no 'bad' exercises in what you list above, but as a workout it could be more balanced.

You've got only one quad dominant movement (the split squats). If you were programming a quad slot in another workout I would do something like safety bar squats, hack squat, quad dominant leg press, leg extension... Whatever you like really, that's quad dominant. Lunges are an option if you prefer single leg for some reason.

Then you have two very similar hamstring movements. I would just retain one of them, and do the other one in one of your other workouts. If you do want another lower body movement here you could do something glute dominant like a barbell or dumbbell romanian deadlift.

Next you do your v-bar pulldown... Fine, I'm not the biggest fan, but for your other workouts you could program a wide or medium grip pulldown, or a single arm pulldown here.

DB row... Again, fine, you could program a landmine row, DB incline rows or seated cable row also for other workouts.

Dips... Your only chest / tricep movement. Alternatives for other days could be any kind of machine press, or DB bench etc.

Other general comments:-

You've got no direct arm training at all... No bicep, forearm or tricep work. No shoulder or rear delt work. There is no rule that direct training of these should be included, but I normally would look for them, personally.

The rep scheme of 5x5 is something you could also revisit, I just don't see it fitting well with the exercise selection here, it's probably more appropriate for compound lifts than if you're including a lot of single joint movements. On some of the single joint movements you've selected, like the leg curls, I would feel a bit more comfortable with what's going on if you warmed up properly and then did some higher rep sets, I'd be a little wary of loading heavily for low reps on a movement like that (personal view). Maybe look at 3x8, 3x10 or even a couple of warm-ups and one top set of 10.

Workout to workout I presume you're looking to progress weight and reps. So if you did your split squats with a set of 14kg DBs in one workout, and got all your reps, the next workout you'd pick up a pair of 16kgs. If you can't get all your reps with the chosen weight, you might look to 'rep it out' until you can.

In case what I'm saying wasn't clear... You could rotate something like the following three workouts:-

"A"

Split squats

Lying leg curl

Close grip pulldown

DB row

Dips

"B"

DB lunges

Barbell romanian deadlift

Wide grip pulldown

Chest supported machine row

Incline DB bench press

"C"

Leg extension

Sitting leg curl

Pullups or medium grip pulldowns

Incline DB row

DB bench press

In general terms what you put first in a workout is what you're focusing on. I've left it the way you have, with a lower body bias. If you did ever want to prioritise your upper body more you might rejig your exercise order. And add more! Maybe a flat press followed by an incline / shoulder press and then some kind of direct tricep training.

As has been said there, you’ve got no variety in sets and reps. If you’re training 3 times a week then you’d be better having light medium and heavy days.

No need for 2 types of leg curls. I’d swap one of those for something that works your lower back as you’ve nothing targeting that. E.g deadlift.

I’d also include some overhead pressing.

Maybe follow a programme online.

• Advertisement

What Android fitness app do you use to track your progress? I do both weights and cardio.

I have a Fitbit, but linking that is not essential to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've been going to the gym for about 2 years now in between lockdowns. I do an hour a go three days a week. I don't seem to be getting any stronger. It's not the end of the world as I'm just trying to look after myself but it'd be nice to see myself lifting heavier now and again. Is there any obvious reason why this might be.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

What are you doing when you're in the gym? Are you following a structured programme with progression baked in or are you just doing your own thing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

My own thing. What do you mean by progression baked in? Sounds obvious but just checking.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

So a proper programme isn't just a list of exercises as you sometimes see but will have a progression scheme built into it.

There's a few different models but generally you'll be increasing, weight, reps or sets. So you'll have a target to hit and once you do you increase one of these variables forcing your muscles to adapt to the greater load/volume and get 'stronger'.

Basic example would be linear progression. Where you add weight each session. Say you squat 100kg for 3 sets of 5 reps and are able to hit every rep ok, the next week you'd do the same reps and sets but at a weight of 102.5kg and so on. Obviously there's some limitations to this and you can't do it forever or people would be lifting insane weights but it is a good model for beginners or off-season athletes. GZCLP is a good example of it.

I see.

I'm nowhere near able to squat 100kg, sadly but I do see the point. If you keep increasing the weight like this, aren't you risking injury?

H. H. Asquith

Eventually yeah and that's partually why I'd only ever advise someone use it for roughly 12 weeks as a general rule.

You'd be surprised by how quickly you adapt though. A lot of the gains at this stage are also neuromuscular at this stage as well.

It might be worth having a look at the r/fitness wiki. It sets a lot of this out in a pretty digestible way and links to free programmes that use linear and other progression models.

Increasing weight isn't the only way to progress. You can add reps (max 12-15, depends on the exercise) or you can make your exercise harder.

An example of the latter would be for bicep hammer curls, it's harder to perform reps when you are holding the weight at the bottom (of the grip) so that it's harder to lift.

Another example is to focus on slowing down on the negative part, so again with bicep curls try to slow down as you lower. You can also add a two second pause at the transition between positive and negative for more resistance.

So, 12 weeks and switch to another program?

To be honest, I did check the wiki and found the array of abbreviations and terms a little off putting. I did watch some Mark Rippetoe videos to get the basics on the lifts and can do most of them reasonably well. I just feel like if I am going to put in hours a week, I might as well see if I can get a bit stronger.

I might have another look at that wiki. Thanks!

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont follow a prog either but I have a generalised "philosophy" of do more work than the last session (if possible) , I write everything down , generally keep the no of reps the similar, so progress for a week could be upping the weight of one of the lighter sets but have still lifted more weight then last week or month.

If you pick an example say Back Squat, then maybe look at a variant or 2 and progress them in addition, for example front squat or a split squat, chances are after 2 or 3 months you might find it easier to add weight to the back squat.

A trick to "fool your brain" could be use smaller incremental weights, you can pick up 500g wrist weights that you can add to a barbell , so a yearly target of 1kg a month would be very doable. A landmine exercise would suit this too as you are only adding 1.25kg at a time

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I have a program I made myself, essentially. I could post it if it'd help. I do also write down everything I do. I work in a lab so it's something of a habit.

H. H. Asquith

To be honest, you would be better off following someone else's programming unless you are very clear that you know how to program correctly.

I'm training a long time and although I make exercise substitutions based on injuries, or select exercises to address weak points when that's providing for in a program, I still tend to use other people's programming generally, when I understand how it works and I can see that it has stood the test of time and delivered results for others.

I agree with the general thrust of the argument made by the baby bull elephant above. If you are following a well designed program it should be the right mixture of intensity, volume and frequency to allow you to progress your numbers for a considerable period of time. I don't know what your age and bodyweight is, but, if you're a male, then a 100kg squat should have been a very achievable goal for you for example. There's no inherent risk in increasing loading as often as you can, provided your form does not deteriorate. Remember that as the weight increases you are also physically adapting to it, you should arguably be getting more resilient, not less.

There's a famous interview where one of the strongest powerlifters to ever live, Ed Coan, was asked how his heaviest deadlift felt like. The interviewee was a lot weaker, and Ed asked him what his heaviest deadlift felt like, and said that for Ed it felt just like that. It's all relative.

If you followed a beginner's linear progression like Starting Strength, Greyskull LP or StrongLifts you could expect to run that for several months. At that point you could switch to a more intermediate program like 5/3/1 or WS4SB and those are programs that you can run for years at a time, they are very flexible.

There's a thread on classic beginner programs (which are strength focused but can also work for hypertrophy or athletic development, most of the them) that would be worth digging up.

If you've been stalled for a while, I would take a little break and go back to the drawing board with one of these and really try to get the most out of it before moving on to something longer term.

Thanks, Black Sheep.

I'm looking at thefitness.wiki at the moment and might give the beginner program a go:

I think I'll finally have to learn how to Deadlift and Overhead Press.

A question about diet. If my diet is mostly ok, can I just add a few sweet treats to increase my calorie intake? Is it just about creating a surplus or is there more going on? Obviously, I can't just switch to coke and chocolate.

H. H. Asquith

If your goals are to get stronger then you probably don't want to be in a calorie deficit, although a lot of people can still get reasonably far down the road with terrible diets before it catches up with them. I would probably be trying to take in 1g of protein for every lb bodyweight every day, but this is a target that a lot of people generally struggle to meet.

There's no rule against sweet treats or even being in a calorie surplus if you just mainly want to get stronger. But if you have weight loss or body transformation goals then unfortunately your diet would have to be tighter and it's something most people struggle with, myself included.

That program you linked to looks like a very stripped down linear progress, you could certainly do it if you are strength oriented. I would also suggest looking at the Starting Strength novice program, although it's not that different. The Starting Strength novice program is very well-supported by videos, books, forums etc. You're not doing it forever, just a matter of a few months.

Thanks. Might check out SS.

I had literally no specific goal when I started. Staff just told me to work arms and shoulders to work my posture. Hence, I did some looking about and just made a routine for myself.

I'd rather not get fat if I can help it. I can easily live without six pack abs though. I didn't think SS would be a good idea if I've been going to the gym for a few years but I might give it a proper look. Getting a bit stronger would be nice.

Do people just switch between programs every 3-6 months? Is this to prevent the body from adjusting to the routine?

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This is what I do:

A:

6 minutes on a treadmill, max gradient

5x5 Bench Press

5x5 Bent over dumbell row

Plank x 2

Oblique lunges (2x30)

3x12 Chest Press Machine

3x12 Lat Pull Down

B:

6 minutes on a treadmill, max gradient

5x5 Barbell Squat

5x5 Should Dumbell Press

3x12 Leg Curl Machine

3x12 Leg Extension Machine

3x12 Cable Pull Down

3x12 Lateral Dumbell Raises

H. H. Asquith

No you aren’t.

i think I see the problem now. You have to progressively increase the weight or your will never get stronger. You’ll just find it easier to lift what you’re lifting now.

You do sets and reps. Say 3x8, I like 3x8. You do a warm set or 2 with lower weight. Then you do your working weight for 3x8. If you complete the 3x8, next time you increase the weight. You do that weight until you complete 3x8 and increase again.

this is a very basic example. But you want a properly structured program where this is baked in.

they/them/theirs

I do increase the weight but I feel like what I lift now is close to the maximum I can do with proper form. Except squats. For some reason I can squat a bit more than I currently lift. I just don't want to make a tit of myself by getting trapped under the bar. I do find squats the easiest to progress in.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

You feel like it’s close to the max, but it won’t be soon because by training your max will increase.

For squats, get a spotter or learn how to dump them. I’ve dumped many squats without getting trapped under them, it’s actually quite easy. A max bench is much harder to deal with.

To dump a squat you lean back a little, let go of the bar and jump forward. YouTube it. Trust me, you’ll get out of there when you need to.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement