Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pride Month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭victor8600

We are here to listen to you too. Please share why do you think that the Pride Month is exclusive to a minority? Obviously, it is more interesting to a minority, but if you want to get involved, you are not barred from it, right? As long as you do not derail other people's efforts, you are welcome to contribute to or to profit from the Pride Month.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s not more lies. It was clear the first time I was talking about different people having different reasons for why they objected to corporate sponsorship and involvement, different reasons from your ideas about their employers accounting practices.

You’re accusing me of lying based upon your own misrepresentation of my opinion. You should have left it at the point where you said -

As a heterosexual, cisgendered white male I don't want to be opining about how the LGBT community or individuals should feel about things.

I was giving you the courtesy of overlooking your stupid identity politics nonsense for the sake of the discussion.

I was giving you the courtesy of overlooking your stupid identity politics nonsense for the sake of the discussion.

Whilst we may disagree on some things on this thread, this is where we share a conspicuous note of agreement.

It’s true though. Some people just have some very odd ideas that people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender exist in some parallel universe, that they aren’t employed in corporate entities like ohh, I don’t know… Netflix, Sky, Mercedes… 😂

And it’s because of their own efforts within their workplaces and employers, that increased visibility and corporate sponsorship and involvement in Pride comes about. It’s no different than corporate involvement in anything else, like sports - there’s football on tv all year round. That doesn’t mean it’s being shoved in anyone’s face any more than the idea that Pride is being shoved in anyone’s face. Everyone has an equal ability to avoid it if they want, same as I don’t care much for football or anything else I have no interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Hmmm torn over this issue.

Have many gay friends and colleagues. Our town has a Pride month event here in the States. Seems to be the most campy, pushy, loud mouthed individuals pushing the agenda. I don’t fly flags of any sort in our offices or outside. Yet, I want my colleagues to know that they are valued and part of “us”. So I let them make the decision. Fly flags or not, support the events or not.

i was kinda shocked that they didn’t want to fly the flags and said no to sponsorships of events.

looking at the events, drag shows, drag picnics, drag karaoke, family drag day, it was plain to see why.

do ALL events have to be drag related. My colleagues are more heterosexual looking than I am…and that’s saying something 😀

They didn’t like the fact they were basically being strong armed into sponsorship, they didn’t think the events showed “gayness” (their words) in a positive light.

i ca understand their decision. Do I need a month to appreciate how important my colleagues are to us? Nope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,883 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s 14 days into pride month so … I wouldn’t have known it was that until I saw this thread…. No events in our local pubs, or restaurants, no flags, no social media hoopla…on anything I’m following at least.

there is a gay couple around the corner who have an LGBT flag in their porch, but I think I’ve seen it there too before though .. so might or might not be for the festival or whatever it’s referred to as.

i don’t see it as a ‘month dedicated’ to a minority… How can you ‘dedicate’ a big space of time in the ether to any one group of people ?

I can say that Tuesday 14th of October is now dedicated to dwarfs… ? Actually maybe I can’t, 25th of October is national dwarf day.. actually, October is national dwarfism awareness month… I must put that in the diary.

we’ll be running out of months 🥵

Based on the video in his post, do you think young children - of any age, whether 2 or 5 or 8 - should be exposed to that kind of sexualised, provocative, semi-naked display during the Pride parade?

My view is clear: I don't approve of it. But your position, up until now at least, seems rather more opaque.

Whataboutery does not an answer make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Only in countries where it’ll make them money.

None of my close friends or family members are gay(unless they’re in the closet) and I’m straight. Personally I couldn’t give a ****. It seems to really irk the crowd who talk about everyone being easily offended these days. The irony.

I also find the please think of the children comments hilarious. Most of them will take their young children every week to listen to a man in a frock(drag queen) talk about an eternity burning in hell unless you live in a certain way, stories of being nailed alive to cross then a ritual is performed and you engage in cannibalism by eating his flesh and drinking his blood but yeah a bit of male skin on show is just horror in comparison LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

A gay friend of mine calls it 'straight gay pride' as he feels its being taken over.

I think its important. However we might not think its needed or that its a bit much, we have to understand that its gives comfort to people who feel outside of society. It was only a few years back same sex couples got the same rights as everyone else. Still a way to go.

I’ll bet you’d a clear view 😂

I couldn’t care less eskimo tbh, that’s my opinion on it. Children are exposed to all sorts on a daily basis, and it’s up to the adults in their lives to contextualise it for them in a manner which they feel is appropriate for their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The biggest issue I have with all these companies flying the pride flag here and the west...the same companies wouldn't dare do it in the middle East or China I'd imagine...so you neither fully support the LGBTQABC+ fully or your just virtue signalling

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's very strange behaviour alright, and speaks volumes

Still a way to go?

How much further? And what needs to be done?

Genuine question. On this issue of sexuality, I think Ireland is very accepting and have laws in place for equality.

There will always be idiots who do not accept others lifestyles but when you say there is still a way to go, what do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

That’s exactly it for me. The amount of companies who change their corporate logo so they appear inclusive, yet given power of multinationals won’t do the same in the very territories where support of gay/lesbian etc people is needed most. Large multinational Corporations have way too much power in modern society and they stick some colours into the logo and we are supposed to overlook the harm some of them do to society and/or the environment

As for the pride festival itself I was at it once in San Francisco years ago. It was great fun but I definitely wouldn’t bring my kids to a pride parade now and that is 100% because of the nudity. I am straight though so I accept that I have no place in the discussion on what a pride parade should look like so pass no judgment on the nudity when it’s aimed at an adult audience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This was what I was referring to earlier when I was talking about corporations being cynical. Full steam ahead for equality unless it offends clients.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The cardinal example is Disney all but removing John Boyega from their Star Wars marketing material for distribution in China. That's basically it in a nutshell.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Pretty much this:

There will always be idiots who do not accept others lifestyles

Well in that case, "there is a way to go" seems a little hyperbolic.

Unless you imagine there is any aspect of life which is 100% universally accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Which is odd since

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2022/03/30/disney-entertainment-president-with-transgender-pansexual-children-wants-half-of-future-characters-to-be-lgbtqia-or-racial-minorities-1218906/

It's all gotten a bit mental, Andrew Lloyd Webbers version of Cinderella where the Prince runs off with another man shut early, wasn't the audience for it. An all female cast for a Jane Austen play where she tells Mr Darcy to **** off closed early too. So original, yet so many people just aren't highbrow enough to appreciate it, apparently.

I'm appalled to hear that you think semi-naked, sexually provocative acts during Pride are acceptable for young children.

Nobody’s saying that though. That’s your own inference. I don’t think you imagine for a minute that people can’t see what you’re at, or rather what anyone is at who proclaims “look what they’re doing, they’re exposing children to that! You should be outraged as I am!”. You’re not outraged though, you’re just being silly.

It's just business. If they openly state that they won't compromise on these values to suit particular audiences, I'll be impressed. Otherwise, this stuff will just be sold to Western audiences as is and snipped and censored where necessary to get into the Eastern and African markets.

I don't particularly like swapping the genders of established characters. It adds nothing though can sometimes yield positive results. In the comic series, The Boys Stormfront is a man raised by the Nazis. In the Amazon Prime series, she's very well played by Aya Cash.

When I see stuff like Cinderella with the ending you describe, I just cringe a bit. I'd be much keener to see something original developed specifically to tell a story about someone from the LGBT community using characters created originally. Easier to alter an already-existing work I suppose.

H. H. Asquith

Looking into this aspect of the sexualisation of Pride events, and whether this is appropriate for children, I came across this 2021 column from the Washington Post.

The author of the column is a lesbian who brought her child to a Pride parade.

Yes, kink belongs at Pride. And I want my kids to see it.

When our children grew tired of marching, we plopped onto a nearby curb.

Just as we got settled, our elementary-schooler pointed in the direction of oncoming floats, raising an eyebrow at a bare-chested man in dark sunglasses whose black suspenders clipped into a leather thong.

The man paused to be spanked playfully by a partner with a flog.

“What are they doing?” my curious kid asked as our toddler cheered them on. The pair was the first of a few dozen kinksters who danced down the street, laughing together as they twirled their whips and batons, some leading companions by leashes.

I'm just not persuaded by this, and very uncomfortable that the child - who was clearly in some state of confusion - is being forced to think about the sexualisation of some aspects of the LGBT community.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,883 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

And not offend people, the hypocrisy is gas….

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

Could everyone, please, spare a month long thought every year, 1/12th of your entire life, about where a tiny amount of people like to stick their willie's.

It's of the utmost importance, life and death!!

Thanksinadvanceseeyounextyearandforever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Posts deleted, cards handed out. Can everyone calm down now and post a little more rationally, thanks

Advertisement