Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pride Month

Options

Comments

I don't think grand strategy of the wargame variety really gets much attention in China (except for Romance of the three kingdoms variety). At least, I've never seen much of anything, like Grigsby or Paradox, on the internet cafes shared game servers which usually have a wide range of pirated games.

Oh, and HOI3 is superior to HOI4 in every way. haha. I like HOI4 but they've gone the way of arcade strategy rather than proper wargame strategy with it.

Back on topic, Companies tend to bend over backwards to accommodate the interests of the CCP.. Hollywood is perfect example of it. Profit comes first. Which is understandable in a way, considering the costs involved in such productions and the kind of market that China represents. However, I do think companies should stand by their public statements rather than the PR games they tend to apply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd say there's plenty of piracy. There always is in these situations.

But yeah, Hollywood will bend over backwards. The Chinese version of Iron Man 3 has 45 minutes of nonsense where the Chinese invent some heart implant or something.

HOI3 is unplayable though I do take your point about HOI4. I once conquered the developed world as Lithuania:

A bit absurd I think.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭homer911

I agree with the "overload" comments, and no, its not possible to avoid. My employer is one of those that flys flags, organises pride events and puts pride graphics on the end of my emails. No thanks.

And then my damn bank insists on changing their mobile app logo - I have to remove it from my home screen!

That sucks and I hope you were alright afterwards because even a "light" assault can really **** stuff up. In my teens I twice tried to report assaults on me to the Gardai and they said there was no-one available to take a statement several times. My best mate was jumped in the middle of town and left in hospital. Gardai claimed there was no CCTV when there were 2 on-street cameras and at least 5 businesses with a direct view, and 3 witnesses that we knew of. One silly Garda let slip "Yeah we know who it was, we were watching most of the night". Never an arrest made and the same crew killed someone in an unprovoked street attack within a couple of months. Maybe rape now is an exception because of the attention over the last while but every experience I've had with the Gardai has felt like the only thing they were interested in was minimising how much work they would have to do. So it used to be they dismissed rape victims and the like, can't quite get away with that any more. But for assaults, car crashes, intimidation, the first thing they try to do is minimise and usually leave you feeling like an idiot for trying to get them to take action. Another silly example recently for me was getting hit by some prick who drove off. Being the good citizen I am I reported it to the insurance company but the damage was not much more than my excess so along with losing my No Claims Bonus it didn't make sense to claim. Insurance company tell me I have to report it to the Gardai and get an incident number. Into the Garda station and after an hour waiting got "But sure why are you reporting it if you're not claiming?". Explained what happened 4 times before I just turned and walked out rather than lose my temper. I've said this in a number of threads and on a number of subjects and I really think the world could function a lot better if everyone accepts that the vast, vast majority of people care about their job rather than their work. They seek to protect themselves and to minimise their own effort. When you look at things through that prism our law enforcement (Gardai, courts, probation), health services and social services and their effectiveness and value for money make a lot more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

How are straight people compelled to support it more than they already do? I was aware that it's pride month bit nobody has suggested I do anything at all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

Please read the thread. It depends on each individuals circumstances. But the classic case which affects many people (gay or straight who are disinterested or wish Pride well but not interested in participating) is an employer who's embraced Woke Capitalism, and wants to get maximum exposure from Pride Month.

Its becoming like not going to the company BBQ and other events, and getting the reputation for Wrongthink and not being a "team player".

The thread is 7 pages. I'm not reading the thread back.

The example you provided is someone taking advantage of Pride months for capitalist purposes. I asked about your original claim that straight people are being compelled to support Pride Month more than they want to. The vast majority of businesses I see have absolutely no signs of pride month.

Is it just businesses you think are being compelled to do something they don't want to do or does it affect people too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

I only know this from speaking with people. If you look at all the major multinationals in Ireland, particularly those with a US "west coast" presence, most of them will have Pride Month participation. Given the furore over the Liveline discussion, there's a bit of a chilling effect on saying anything publicly, so you'd probably have to have private chats with people to gauge their feelings towards coporate Pride.

I don't believe businesses are being compelled to do things they don't want to. Rather, they now see an event they would have run away from 20+ years ago, as a great Marketing event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I just don't understand the need for a pride month, especially in Ireland.

I really don't understand or maybe I'm just thick. I couldn't give a flying feck what genitalia you'd like to get intimate with. Knock yourself out!

Just don't annoy me about it. It's almost religious. Two men, two women, man and woman on the street having a mooch, again feck it. (Dont particularly want to see it)

The world needs more love.

• Advertisement

OK. But eere miles off an example of the claim thst I asked about to begin with. The claim was that heterosexual people are bombarded with the forceful message thst they "must" be more supportive of pride month then they want to be. I've asked a few times for examples of this in practice and it doesn't seem to go beyond businesses taking advantage of Pride month for branding purposes.

Pretty much. I've got a new lanyard on my desk when I'm arsed to go into the office. Won't be using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Why not? I don't care what they do personally, but I find it dishonest (company wide).

You've cracked the dirty little.secret of the marketing industry, and you take it out on a pride banner ad?

Huh?

I was just saying they're my colleagues. I couldn't give a feck what they're sexualiity, marital status, religion...is. why does it matter?

Ireland is an equal opportunity place. Again, why does this matter?

Not sure what app you're talking about.

I kinda like the colours of pride.

But I also see it as pointless at this stage.

Your problem, own it.

Pisses me off. Race, colour or creed. Guess what, I couldn't give a flying feck!

Ah you must of replied to me by mistake earlier.

I just don't understand the need for a pride month, especially in Ireland.

Why "especially in Ireland"? It's not that long ago that bigotry/contempt/violence against homosexuals was commonplace in Ireland.

The need for Pride comes down to reinforcement of social change, and the chance for homosexuals to glorify in the realisation that they no longer need to hide their sexuality. Pretty simple really. Although I agree that a Pride month is a bit much. The Pride march should be enough.

Give it another few decades and then, I'll agree with you (and others) that it's served its purpose and should be allowed to disappear... but for now, it does some good for both the younger and older generations of homosexuals.

Just don't annoy me about it. It's almost religious. Two men, two women, man and woman on the street having a mooch, again feck it. (Dont particularly want to see it)

Ahh but whatever is annoying you isn't coming from the gay community.. it's coming from the government. council or businesses who feel the need to virtue signal. You see anyone kissing in the street, you can ignore it, regardless of what genders are involved. It's not being pushed in your face, and you're not being forced to look at it.

There are gay people who will aggressively push their behaviour into your personal space, which is something I don't like.. but it's relatively rare for it to happen.

The world needs more love.

I'd say the world needs more patience.

• Advertisement

Ohh. Typical klaz. Got me thinking.

You're bisexual...don't give a feck.

I'm sure other posters are gay...don't give a feck.

I'm hetero...I'm hoping you don't give a feck!(I know you don't).

Your other points I need to consider. Not that I disagree, just how to frame my responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

Whats the deal with the Pride Parade and the Pride March coming from opposite directions, is that the, corporate floats vs activist people?

Dublin Pride March & Parade, Saturday, June 25th, 2022

https://dublinpride.ie/pride-2022/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I want a Dublin Straight month because I'm proud to be straight and I want everyone to see how straight I am and hang around with other straight people and censor the media and have no one pass judgement (ESPECIALLY gays) of any kind prior to or during Straight month the biggest celebration of straightness yet....

Doing it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Go Ahead. Get people together and have your march about Heterosexuality... I seriously doubt anyone would object, except for other heterosexuals.

TBH I'm finding the assumed victimhood by heterosexual posters here quite amusing. You do realise that Pride is a response to the abuse homosexuals received for centuries in Western societies (a lot of which happened within living memory)? You can't really just replace homosexuals with straight people and have the same justifications for a Pride display.. but go ahead if that's what you want. You won't get any objection from me, and I doubt other homosexuals would care all that much, as long as it's not an attempt at mockery towards the LGBTQ community.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,636 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Absolutely no issue with it at all but what's the story with the parade and people wearing next to nothing & being overly sexually provocative ,

There's no need for it and cheapens the whole thing,

But in general great to see people enjoy themselves,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Oh, we're aware that he's not..

however, the point remains that there's nothing stopping straight people from doing the same. And yet, if posts such as his were allowed to stay up unchallenged, it would feed into the idea that Pride (or similar) was something that was only available to the LGBTQ community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Advertisement