Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pride Month

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

My post addressed that? Where did I deny it? You're making stuff up again. Once again you're making me repeat myself, it's a problem no matter the justification; pride, naked cycles, whatever. It's not right.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,770 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I Blame Sheepie threadbanned (in addition to further sanction)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

We have a enough fooking cyclists hogging the roads, totally ignoring others without them getting their bloody kit off.

And I bet the ones in Cork will the exact opposite of the kind of people you might actually want to see naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Nobody brings their kids out to see naked men and women ride their push bikes.

But during pride events loads of small children are present to show support with their parents. These events appear to be getting more indecent and unsuitable for kids every year... Whats going on here

It was only a week or two ago, that we were being told that this doesn't happen in Ireland, by people who are wrong about everything all the time.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

Your post literally said children are not present at such cycling events. Which isn't true. On top of that there's a pretty good chance the video is from the parade the week before pride, the one with all the naked cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I know exactly what you are talking about. Same stuff in my company and it's been beyond overkill.

daily emails, virtual events, webinars, best rainbow outfit of the week, you name it

if someone wasn't homophobic before, sure he'll be by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A racist rag that regularly publishes lies 🤣🤣🤣

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

i'm impressed by your ability to create evil out of thin air

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm 25 and gay and don't celebrate pride it's overrated to be honest, another reason is the sligo murders it puts me off and just sometimes i wish i wasn't even here it's horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Horrific story if true but should something this serious be printed based off an anonymous text message? 6:50pm on a Saturday during Pride in Stephens Green and nobody captured the incident on their phone?

It's not looking good.

In another thread, you compared banners of rainbow flags to the Nazis.

When you consider that comment in that thread, with the quoted post above (the last line, in particular), it does start to create the impression that it's more than just mild criticism at play here.

And this is coming from someone who has agreed with several of your criticisms over the course of this thread!

I'd be very, very careful that you don't venture into the territory of active dislike of certain people based on their background. There's a fine line between reasonable criticism of a minority group or actions therein, and actively disliking the group as a whole.

History has taught us that only too vividly.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119259564#Comment_119259564 There was an error displaying this embed.

Let me put some context here,

Gay people are part of everybody's lifes, they are family members, friends, peer colleagues. They exist 12 months per year, not just in June, and are widely accepted by everybody.

LGBT on the other hand is a political moment, with a extreme left leaning ideology that not everybody agrees with. At this point gay people are instrumental to LGBT, and since they are a minority LGBT is expanding its brand to include straight people too, the new non-conforming genders serve the purpose of including in the movement people who otherwise would not be included, who are not and never have been discriminated against.

There is nothing homophobic in pointing out the above. It's in everybody's face one month per year, people talk about it.

The image with the rainbow flags over the street, if you read the comment in the twitter post, lots of people find it reminiscent of the display of power that similarly toxic ideologies have expressed in the past. It's disturbing and it's not helping gay people.

Personally I think it's going to generate a homophobia backlash that nobody wants.

My two cents

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

All quite reasonable, and I see where you're coming from. I'd be similar in many respects.

However, you gotta be a mite careful in the comparisons made. We're not exactly a tolerant society anymore. That period ended not long ago.

Isn't it all a bit unfair, that Mic would get singled out for stuff like that? Especially given how quickly many on the other side are to toss such labels around. Terms like "far right", "Nazi", "fascists", are all used so often by them, yet rarely are they used accurately, yet we all have to tolerate it. Yet when someone on the other side does the same thing, for some odd reason, it's treated with far more severity? Laurence Fox was suspended from Twitter for the same thing recently, people literally reported him to the police over it too, and the people who reported him likely made similar comparisons themselves in the past.

You're right though, we don't live in a tolerant or equal society anymore, because if we did both things would be treated much the same, yet they are not.

Laurence Fox was suspended for posting a swastika made out of the pride flag... So hard done by.. I'm inclined to stand with Holocaust memorials more so than internet edge lords.

Laurence Fox is utterly repellent.

That chap will do anything to be the centre of attention and to be labelled as "controversial".

Re-fashioning the Pride flag as a swastika is not even funny. It's totally stupid, and does absolutely nothing to further his cause.

Advertisement