Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pride Month

Options
  • 14-06-2022 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I don't think it speaks to its inclusive nature. Sometimes I feel if I say anything or pass comment on the fact that it is actually an exclusive month dedicated to a minority, I am deemed a bigot which I am not. Discuss....🤔

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭briany

Didn't even know it was Pride Month.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

*Cue businesses scrambling to replace Ukrainian flags with rainbow flags*

Trust me when I say this, but there are a lot of LGBT people out there - of which I am one - who are bored of Pride and find it total overkill.

Pride was about the need to secure equality, and that we achieved. The vast, vast, vast majority of people support LGBT people.

But what's happening is that equal treatment is being replaced with special treatment. Ordinary, decent people who otherwise support LGBT rights are now bombarded with a very forceful message that they must support it more than they already do. If I were straight, I'd be pretty damn annoyed that this is how things have regressed.

Yes, some homophobes exist. But that will always be the case. Discrimination is not eradicable. Nor is racism or any other form of prejudice.

But that doesn't mean we need to go overkill and blast our flags in people's faces.

I think ordinary LGBT supporting people are getting a bit tired of this.

The whole point about equality is that you fade into the normal, boring population. Everyone is just as equal and boring as everyone else. That's what equality means in reality. But what we're seeing with the LGBT movement is the exact opposite: an absolute amplification of the noise and almost the desire to feel more special than the rest of the population.

I really think this needs to stop, or it will turn otherwise supporting people of the LGBT community against it.

You cannot ever force someone to agree with a view or position, you must achieve it by consensus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Discuss what? Your feelings?

It's Pride month. I don't see what the issue is. In the UK, we just had to have a nauseating month of buildup to celebrating our unelected head of state, one of the wealthiest people in the world and mother of at least one child molester getting older.

I've no problem with the idea of pride. Corporations appropriating it for marketing reasons, I'm not fond of but the actual concept itself I support. If you don't, it's easy enough to ignore.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Never heard of it, but what have you been excluded from?

I imagine it's parties, events and parades. Did someone say you can't go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Wezz

Some people dedicate June to Pride, and some don't, its not a compulsory requirement that we all observe it. I've no issue with it as an event but as I am not part of the community it represents I don't get involved in it. Easy enough to avoid it all if its not your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Doesn't bother me too much, I try avoid all that PR rubbish.

I make sure to try and avoid the pride march or whatever it's called. I've seen too many lads in assless chaps and ballgags that I don't want the risk of seeing them again.

From things you see online, seems it's a massive pulling event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Very well said. Some LGB people (not all) remind me of Vegans - how do you know if they're Vegan? They'll fcuking tell you. I don't really want to know the sexual orientation of anyone to be honest and find overt public displays of affection from any sexual orientation distasteful. Keep it for the bedroom folks! I would lean towards the don't ask don't tell ethos if it wasn't made out to be such a subversive way of stigmatising LGB people.

Secondly, the sham that is corporates falling over themselves to have their logos and flags flying when on other regional channels of the same corporation there is no mention whatsoever. Globalists when it suits.

Finally, LGBT awareness to primary school aged kids is not on. It should be the reserve of parents firstly and then some discussion in secondary level school.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I can see why people think you’re a bigot.

I really think this needs to stop, or it will turn otherwise supporting people of the LGBT community against it. 

You cannot ever force someone to agree with a view or position, you must achieve it by consensus.

Heh 😏

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Other than seeing a bunch of rainbows everywhere it's pretty easy to not engage if you're not interested

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

It's Pride month. I don't see what the issue is. In the UK, we just had to have a nauseating month of buildup to celebrating our unelected head of state, one of the wealthiest people in the world and mother of at least one child molester getting older.

I’m only after copping you’re talking about the Queen, like, THE Queen, not… queens 😬

I encourage corporates to get involved, there’s no question that the movement could do with the sponsorship, same as every other political movement.

Actually this isn't quite true.

Having attended many gay pride marches, and will do again in a couple of weeks, there is a certain percentage of participants who are dressed in a sexually provocative manner.

I've never really understood why many people think this is just people walking in the street or is 100% family friendly. It isn't!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As a heterosexual, cisgendered white male I don't want to be opining about how the LGBT community or individuals should feel about things. I can imagine some of them see the likes of massive, tax dodging corporates using it as a marketing tool as being quite cynical. The tax many of them shirk could be used to fund solutions and services for LGBT people but instead get funneled into offshore tax havens. Not much pride in that IMO.

To reiterate, just my opinion as a non-LGBT person.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Going to a parade is definitely engaging!

That's a different issue, I can't really comment as I've never been to a pride parade.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Went to Brighton pride once as I used to live there. Some nice vibes but loud, drinking and masses of people aren't my thing. Can see why people go mad for it though.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Saw a parade on the continent, like a Dublin Paddy's Day with S&M gear.

Kind degenerated into messy-ish drinking later on. Huge crowds which I avoided as I'm not really into massive crowds of any sort. No doubt drugs and cruising involved, whatever floats your boat.

one day where the traffic in town is utterly fcuked.

otherwise easy to get by without it bothering me

good luck to em, if they want a month on those terms they can have it and welcome

the way parents park outside schools causes havoc twice a day, ten months of the year. lets start there.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I've no problem with Pride, a month seems excessive though. For some reason it's been really low key this year, usually there's endless adverts jumping on the pride bandwagon for everything from bread to deodorant. I'd no idea it even was Pride month.

I don’t think anyone needs nail their colours to the mast here ACD. It’s a pretty simple idea -

Plenty of people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender are employed by corporates, and with increasing visibility comes increased sponsorship, which means increased visibility, and a reduction in the stigma that’s attached to being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

I have no doubt there are plenty of people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender who would share your opinions of corporate involvement and sponsorship too, they want to go back to a time when being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender was greatly stigmatised because they got off on the idea that it was socially verboten, their communities were smaller and much more of a closed shop and they were suspicious of outsiders.

The whole idea of Pride is celebrating not having to feel ashamed and hidden away from view of “civilised” society dominated by, well, heterosexual, cisgender white males 😬

"I have no doubt there are plenty of people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender who would share your opinions of corporate involvement and sponsorship too, they want to go back to a time when being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender was greatly stigmatised because they got off on the idea that it was socially verboten, their communities were smaller and much more of a closed shop and they were suspicious of outsiders."

This is a barefaced lie. I never said this.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

No.

Corporate sponsorship and all that is too easy if you're targeting Western countries.

But they daren't do it where it matters - in the Middle East, for example, where their corporate logos are not festooned with rainbow flags.

The hypocrisy stinks.

This does nothing to advance LGBT rights; absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I totally agree with you, especially about equality supposedly leading to the differences disappearing. That doesn't seem to be the case with things anymore though, not just Pride. The emphasis seems to be on highlighting the differences, as long as people keep making an issue of the differences then there won't be equality. I don't really care about other people's sexual orientation, as long as it doesn't involve animals or kids I say live and let live when it comes to other consenting people's sexuality.

In all honesty, I'd rather not have NGO's pushing stuff here, I don't care what colour a person's skin is, I don't care what their sexual orientation is, I don't care what their religion is. I'm just not interested. If people just get on with their lives and stop expecting us to highlight them being some how more special or worthy of celebrating and then complaining about being treated differently then maybe they would be treated the same. I think most people just ignore it all anyway. If people have the body to get away with assless chaps then have at it.😉

I've been to 11 Pride parades/events over the years, mostly on continental Europe rather than Ireland/UK. They're all engaging, although it's easy enough to see how the focus has shifted away from promoting homosexuality, and having fun/freedom, to being far more political in nature.

Honestly, they were a lot of fun when I was in my 20s/early 30s.. but the in-your-face aspect of LGBTQ gets tiresome after a while. I got tired of the hyper aggressive attitudes, and while people seem to think that the LGBTQ community is all wonderful smiling people, there's always been a dark undercurrent to the community too, which comes out in some of the events and speeches.

I've stopped going to the events. I don't think they're really representative of LGBTQ as it relates to normal people, and is more a place for the aggressive LGBTQ members or the "advocates/activists" of the various causes.

Still.. I'd highly recommend going to some abroad. It's an experience worth having.

What’s a lie? I said there are plenty of people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender who share your opinions of corporate sponsorship and involvement, and there are.

The reasons THEY do, and the reasons I have been given, are not the same as the reasons you give, because many of them are employed by the same corporates from which they request sponsorship and want them to get involved in promoting the political movement.

Corporates aren’t going to turn down that kind of advertising if it presents an opportunity for them to increase their brand awareness at the same time.

It’s not hypocrisy, it’s knowing their market. Simple stuff. There’s nothing preventing you from going to those countries and campaigning for the people with whom you share an affinity, but that would mean you’d have to put up with people proclaiming that they don’t want to know, keep it to yourself, you don’t represent them, you’re going to turn people against them, etc, etc.

And you wouldn’t want to be a hypocrite of course 😏

You presented a false dichotomy of either accepting corporate sponsorship and advertising or supporting gay people being stigmatised and then said I supported the latter. This is a lie unless you can back it up with an explicit quote where I said this.

H. H. Asquith

Am I more likely to purchase a Mercedes because I've seen them adorn their logo with Pride colours?

Nope. Are you? It wouldn't even factor in my decision.

Are they virtue signallers that have no actual moral interest in LGBT rights?

Yes.

I didn’t present any false dichotomy. You gave your reasons for your criticism of corporate sponsorship and involvement.

I said I’m sure there are many people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender who share your opinions, and I gave their reasons, which are not the same as the reasons you gave about tax avoidance and how in your opinion it could be put to better use.

It’s not a false dichotomy, it’s a false dilemma you’re presenting, as though corporates and people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender are entirely separate entities. They’re clearly not, and haven’t been for some time.

More lies. Let's just leave it there. There's no point in continuing.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

You’re not any more likely to purchase a Mercedes because you’ve seen them adorn their logo with Pride colours, but Mercedes are appealing to the market of people who WOULD. Maybe you’ve heard of ‘the pink pound’?

In 2019, LGBT adults globally held a combined buying power of approximately $3.7 trillion.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_money

It’s not something I’d base my decisions on, but it wouldn’t put me off buying a Mercedes, that’d be cutting my nose off to spite my face, they’re still top engineering.

Advertisement