Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pride Month

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,921 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's because the concept of straight pride is edgelord drivel and nothing else.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Ya, rights being limited or being targeted because you're straight has never been a thing. Straight people aren't being targeted in the likes of Russia, Hungary or the Middle East. In fact, I've seen posters justify the legislative targeting in Russia and Hungary (suspect a fair few who are annoyed by pride agree with them too) so the issue of homophobia isn't going away any time soon.

So yep, pride I very much so support. It's support for those who are targeted and it's a celebration and recognition of a pretty difficult history.

I've lost count of the number of times I've cringed at seeing responses to social media stories about Pride, with, "When are we going to have Straight Pride?".

And they ask this question as if they're the cleverest person on the planet, and as if nobody else has ever said this remark before. They probably have a big smile on their face as they're typing it, not realising how stupid they look.

Anyone who asks that question - "When are we going to have Straight Pride?" - is monumental idiot, in my opinion.

It's utter, gutter-level cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

This is where you fall down though - there is a pushing it in the face of us, I agree I get tired of 'we are here, we are queer etc etc', I dont need constant reminders of it . However view the media through our lens and see what we are be soaked in - hetrosexual portrayals. Love Island, a couple guys trying to get with some birds, music videos with women scantily clad, movies where romantic intentions are portrayed idealistically...what the gays have done is effectively copied hetro culture (even that term makes me want to get sick in my mouth, nonsense). There is nothing more off putting than a gay or a straight couple chewing the face off each other, its annoying so I will give you that yet do not for one second think that we have somehow the monopoly on sexualisation of political events like pride, the sexualisation has been happening for donkeys years. With all things being equal we should campaign to stop the whole thing - no reality TV, No scantily clad women and no portrayal of unreal man/woman lovey dovey style relationships on TV and scrap Pride. Unfortunately Ive to point out the straights are doing it for years and it becomes main stream but the gays do it and ..well ...you know the rest. All of these histronics people are showing over a flag and a few lads marching up the street pales in comparison to the cultural bollix we have been subjected to over the years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Quite rightly. These kind of things are minority groups. Do straight people need to be recognised and given equality do you think?

There was a straight pride parade organised by a right wing grifter a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Exactly. I have to laugh at a lot of the arguments about pride being a display of homosexuality when every day on so many different there are displays of heterosexuality on show. It's not "self absorbed" to notice or highlight that.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Even today, nipped up the road at lunch time and there was a guy holding his girlfriends hand strolling down the street. Why do they feel the need to flaunt their straightness?

At the weekend, I saw numerous instances of gay couples holding hands.

I'm not sure about you, but I've never seen anyone have any issue with it - at least in larger cities.

So in effect people taking pride in who they are then?

The same people who are critical of Pride, I hope they are as critical of the hetro culture that is pushed in our faces...its everywhere...cant get away from it Eskimo ...

We are 3-5% of the population, so we shouldn't exactly be surprised if society and culture is replete with what you call "hetero-culture".

You seem to be arguing we deserve 50% of attention. We don't, we're a tiny, tiny, tiny minority.

• Advertisement

The difference is that you're seeking to make an issue of it. I've held hands with male partners and nobody looked at us twice, except possibly for some kids. Whooptie do. Just as I've done the same with female partners, and nobody cared.

You're looking at heterosexual behaviour and seeking to make an issue of it. The gas thing is that they could both, or just one, be bisexual, and you're misjudging them.

I don't notice any of it. I see someone of any gender kissing or holding hands, it doesn't affect me in the slightest. Might think it's cute, or might even be a mite jealous, but their sexuality doesn't even register.

No one is asking for attention, they are just asking to show that they are proud of who they are. If I throw a birthday party, am I annoyed at strangers not coming to my birthday party? No Im not as it has nothing to do with them, its a celebration of my life - same goes for Pride.

That is the point i am making albeit tongue in cheek - what right have we to get annoyed at people doing their own thing? I dont care if people want to march down the road in a dress or a man and woman eat the face off each other. This same thread is giving pride attention yet people are claiming its all about attention. There are so many incongruencies resting in the arguments that its hilariously bad!

I don't see what point you're trying to make.

You're complaining about "hetero-culture" being "in your face", even though society is 97% heterosexual.

Even though LGBT is a tiny percentage of the population, we are disproportionately taking up headlines and social media and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

I don’t think most people see it as a display of homosexuality. I think most Irish people don’t care about that. No matter how gay-friendly a country is, heterosexuality will always be more on display given the numeric differences. I think most people see it originally as part of the Gay rights movement, and later as a celebration of that history and ongoing visibility of LGB and now also T people.

Given the hysteria about Liveline, e.g. women offended/concerned about legislation changes, and then Trans activists in turn having a more important level of offence to this. ”Pride” has morphed into something else. Similar with international companies getting on the bandwagon and “encouraging” staff to participate. I know of more than one gay person who don’t appreciate being requested (on the basis of their private life) to become a public company “ambassador” (or what ever term they may use) for Pride month.

Post edited by donaghs on

Except when they're not just doing their own thing, but waving it in other peoples faces. This isn't the case of a straight couple kissing in a cafe. They're not pushing their behaviour on you. Whereas there are a lot of gay people out there who feel the need to push their sexuality on to others. It's a challenge, aimed to provoke a reaction.. and when they don't get that reaction, they push harder. That's the problem with pride, and many within the LGBTQ community.

If it was just LGBQ celebrating who they were, then I doubt anyone would have any issues, but there is the challenge factor at play. Which is why we see participants dressed provocatively in ways that they wouldn't dress normally. Or acting out sexual or aggressive scenes because they're aware that Pride gives some license to behave that way..

When you go to a queer friendly or gay venue, you know what to expect... it's the norm to have that provocative behaviour because it's a closed environment. Pride is not such a closed environment, and that's why people can/will criticise those involved.

That makes zero sense. What you are saying is:

Straight couple - Not waving it in other peoples faces.

Gay couple kissing - Waving it in other peoples faces.

Honestly your personal abhorrence of LBGTQ people is disturbing that you seek to stereotype them all as aggressive and provocative.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

No, people in this thread have expressed that they are uncomfortable with public displays of affection - irrespective of whether the couple is gay or straight.

Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

When you go to a queer friendly or gay venue, you know what to expect... it's the norm to have that provocative behaviour because it's a closed environment. Pride is not such a closed environment, and that's why people can/will criticise those involved.

You’re hardly suggesting that people don’t know what to expect at Pride? 😂

People DO know what to expect, and what’s more, people who want to criticise Pride go looking for things to be offended by, and if there isn’t anything, they’ll make something out of nothing.

It’s why they parade the most sensationalist and provocative shìt they can find on social media as if it’s actually all that Pride is about, and that’s all people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender are all about, exactly what you’re doing - perceiving anything which they find offensive as “a challenge” as though people’s intent is to be offensive.

It would be like me suggesting that the lad in the body stocking doing cartwheels at the Pride parade a few years ago was being intentionally provocative because to me there was just no hiding an erection in that costume 😂

I could do like you and assume his intent was to be provocative, but it’s far more reasonable to assume the lad was just a bit excited to be taking part in the parade 😂

There was no malice in it at all, but people who want to criticise Pride will portray an innocent moment in ways which support and confirm their already held prejudices, or play on the prejudices and fears and beliefs that they know exist in other people.

• Advertisement

Lads in assless chaps or lads walking around in bikinis and thongs or whatnot are always going to be a fixture. But hey, Pride. It should be held in December, that might mitigate the resulting clothing choices, somewhat. LGBT - whatever are their own worst enemies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,921 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Logically, anything anyone does is shoving something into someone's face. I've had to endure the bloated, boozy football fans roaring, drinking and trashing the area in which I live. I don't hear anyone saying football is unnecessary though.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You poor thing, have you a box of kleenex handy?

Exactly the point @Liberty_Bear was making. If you think heterosexuality gets flaunted and shoved in our faces every single day but noone ever objects

Terry Pratchet

If 97% of the population were LGBT and 3% were straight; yet 50% of political and social attention was on the 3%, the 97% of the LGBT population in this thought experiment would react in exactly the same way.

We've achieved equality. It's time to move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,303 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You haven't really been to many actual prides in Dublin is my guess....it tends to be pretty tame...the people you are talking about are also a tiny percentage. I tend to wear a t shirt and jeans so do my friends...madness I know...filth! I might even have a little pride flag pin badge...the scandal of it all...you would need your smelling salts...

My main issue with Pride is it isn't much of a protest these days it's more about corporate sponsors like Sky and Tesco and is extremely sanitized, but hey as long as people have a nice day out with friends/family that is grand by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Seriously is my mentality out of sync? I'm mid 40,so and it's pretty much what the fonz would do. Be cool!

We'll just make burkinis mandatory for all beach goers too 🤣

Terry Pratchet

I've been to a bunch, thanks very much. I'll bookmark this and stick up some photos of the next one. I'd expect it'll take about 10 mins and not a lot of photos to validate my point.

Joking - obviously. But it's not a family friendly event.

• Advertisement

In fairness, @[Deleted User] pretty clearly thinks it's different when a person is gay...

Advertisement