Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pride Month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

100%.

Maybe I'm simple. Whether rugby, hurling...whatever sports or activity. Does it matter? If you're a dick you're a dick. Sound out, join us.

Nothing is inclusive if cis white men are the majority.

Fucking patriarchal bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

What legal trans right is missing?

When it was the gay rights issues; we had marriage, and so on. Legitimate debates.

But what trans rights are missing from our current legislation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

On the crime thing, this notion that everyone and anyone is going to conform to any sort of ideal, however harmless, is absolutely ludicrous. It is not going to happen, never has, never will. The world is filled with all manner of absolute shower of confrontational trash that have zero interest in letting anybody live their lives however way they want. This trash will actively seek confrontation, hastle and even violence on anybody if they choose to. When I get down to Dublin I like to walk around Dublin city at night alone, I find it a ethereal experience of sorts, but I am always aware I could be literally two seconds away from some make of confrontation or violence. Lets say some night I run into a few violent anti-social types and they ask me what am I doing and I tell them I like walking around Dublin city because I find it an ethereal experience, I'd be flittered and probably slashed in the face quicker than anybody else. You cant educate everybody to conform or even understand what your own thing is because basically in this individualistic world, nobody cares. They only care about their own situation, turf or standing, especially the ones whose basic social standing is predicated on showcasing various forms of confrontation and violence. This is basic $hit. You have to prepare for the inevitable that you, anybody, could run into one of these people. Not demand that they need to be 'educated' or some other sort of nonsense in order to 'conform'. They are not going to, never will. The system wants them just as they are, so anybody thinking state sponsored 'education' is going to sort them out is going to be existing in a world of disappointment until they cop themselves on.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

That's hyperbolic nonsense. Anyone who lives in Dublin just says "Howya lads" and keeps on walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

We dont need the attention though, we need full clean acceptance of who we are. Its nigh high impossible (as your good self should know eskimo) that its virtually impossible to measure what percentage of the attention we get. Take the Boards.ie AH or CA forums, the very minute something trans comes up there is attention reigned upon it by people deriding trans swimmers or toilets or whatever that particular topic du jour is. The media cover it with what ever element that they want. As you said , if 95% of the community is hetro then there is a good reason to have Pride. Any equal argument you make could be applied to Paddys Day, should we ban that and tell the Americans not to promote is as its reifnrocing the drunk stereotypes of Irish people and most Americans are not of Irish descent?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭archfi

'When Trans people are being unfairly targeted by organised (and well funded) groups.'

Are these Irish and/or British groups and who funds them?

I know of no Irish based gender identity critical groups that receive a penny from Govt so who would be well funding them and what does the 'targetting' entail?

Any pointers gladly received.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

You're getting mixed up with the courts where they just say "Howya lads, seeya lads, keep on walking the streets lads"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

Nope, I'm just someone who lives in a sh*thole part of Dublin and who doesn't get flittered every day. Anyway, probably off topic. Enjoy your ethereal walks. Take the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Eskimo were you a bar of soap in a previous life or something? 😁 You’re well aware that you’re making slippery arguments because of the way you’re suggesting ‘current legislation’.

You know well that the current furore is coming off the back of the proposed changes to current Irish legislation in relation to maternity leave in employment, precisely because it doesn’t take account of the equal rights of people who are transgender in relation to maternity leave in employment.

There are plenty more areas in society where people are denied their civil, political, social and human rights on the basis that they are transgender. The issues faced by people who are transgender aren’t just limited to your narrow perspective. They face discrimination in healthcare, education, housing, and employment, on the basis that they are transgender, and there are people who argue that they should continue to be denied fair treatment, unless they conform to those peoples standards and pretend they’re not transgender.

It’s no different than, and I’m sure you’re aware of it, people who argued that people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender already had the right to enter into marriage under the same conditions in Irish law as everyone else. They were, like you, pretending that they didn’t understand the point of marriage equality.

They were, like you, pretending that they were fine with gay people who wanted to get married, as long as they don’t have children. They were, like you, fine with people who are transgender living their lives however they wanted, as long as they don’t get ideas about having children or starting a family or working in the same job or competing in the same sports or living in the same neighbourhood or even the most mundane shìte as shopping for their weekly groceries in the same shops as everyone else -

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/11/20/tesco-launches-inquiry-into-employees-posting-online-photos-and-videos-abusing-trans-customers/

They are, like you, fine with people who are transgender living their lives however they want, as long as they live their lives according to how that person thinks anyone should live their lives - “you don’t get to enjoy the same freedoms as me, because you having the same freedom as me means we’re equals, and I don’t want you getting ideas above your station”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There is no doubt that gay people can have been attached/assaulted for who they are. I object to you saying that gay people are 'regularly' attacked.

I'm never been attacked for being gay (or do I know anyone who has), but been a victim of harassment always in a some city which had nothing to so with my gayness. I'm far more concerned about walking around some areas of Dublin for example that I'm ever 'living in fear' (as GCN put it) about being a victim of a phobic attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Why? If it wasn’t for Herero men and women, humankind would have petered out hundreds of years ago. Keeping the human race going is something to be proud of. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,508 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I've always felt that corporate pride stuff is an absolute joke. Where was that support years ago when it was really needed? It's easy to virtue signal when there's no down side to doing so, plus they'll never engage in promoting LGBTQ rights in places they operate that are not open to it.

The middle paragraph had an almost conspiratorial whiff to it, the Queens money and her child abusing son, the type of stuff that gets people banned off of YouTube.

I can speak from my experience as a straight guy with the Gardai when I was the victim of an attack. It was fcuking shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,508 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I was thinking the same thing.

Have this son, you've earned it...

I don’t think heterosexuals can exclusively lay claim to that achievement Fandymo 😂

Can a gay couple conceive and have a baby?

A lesbian couple?

I believe you need one to insert the semen and one to carry the baby, something not possible in same sex relations.

No, it isn't. Which is why you changed the scenario back to what the other poster said, as opposed to dealing with what I wrote.

Honestly your personal abhorrence of LBGTQ people is disturbing that you seek to stereotype them all as aggressive and provocative.

Honestly, I find your insistence on making personal remarks and judgements of those who disagree with you to be disturbing. You have nothing to base that on.

As usual. You do this a lot.

I have not made one insulting remark LGBQ people in this thread. I don't agree with a lot of what goes on within the LGBQT community, but as a member of that community, being bisexual, I think I have a right to frame such criticisms or observations.

• Advertisement

Well that one went right over your head! Your point was that if it weren’t for heterosexuals the human race would have petered out hundreds of years ago, and keeping the human race going is something to be proud of.

You’re overlooking the fact that sexual orientation and sexual reproduction are concepts that are not related to each other in any way, ie - plenty of people throughout humans history who were gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, have propagated the human race by means of sexual reproduction. You’re also overlooking the fact that throughout human history, people who are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender have raised children. You’re also overlooking the fact that throughout human history, people have adopted children into their families and fostered children who became part of their families.

And that’s all before the invention of assisted human reproduction which assisted people having difficulties with reproduction to enable them to conceive and bear children, which brought us to the point we’re at today where Irish law is being changed to recognise the fact that people who are transgender who become pregnant, have an equal entitlement to protection in terms of their rights to maternity leave in Irish employment law, and they can have children by means of sexual reproduction, regardless of their sexual orientation.

Buzzkill, I know 😖

No. I didn't say that. I said that it shouldn't matter in the slightest if a couple kissing is straight, gay, or bisexual. It doesn't bloody matter, unless you're going looking to be offended.

Jesus. Really wish people would read the actual posts as opposed to simply agreeing with those who disagreed later.

Literally. Then you can pull a direct quote of me stating that. Yes? Not your reading between the lines, or what seems to be the case. A direct quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Tbf, we had literally hundreds of years of oppression for various minorities. A few years of them fighting for equality shouldn't make the majority feel so threatened.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,300 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There are plenty of groups I am sure you know that.

Some of which are "charities" and have received funding in the UK at least. A lot of the other money is coming from the usual groups in the UK/USA.

LGB alliance (which has a direct irish offshot)

The countess.

Radicailin

Irish women's lobby

Women's space ireland

And Ireland's old favourite the Iona institute.

All the while Irish media outlets platform people like David Quinn,but they are being "silenced"...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭archfi

I believe LGB Ireland is virtually defunct/not active. LGB Alliance was founded in the UK by ex-Stonewallers and has recently achieved charity status, now under attack by Stonewall+ (hearing in Sept this year)

The other Irish groups are women's groups exc Iona Institute

Are these women's groups 'well funded' from the UK and the US? I know it can be difficult sometimes to get accurate and truthful financial accounts, I mean TENI (who directed Dublin Pride's response in the Liveline debacle) haven't provided any accounts for 3 years despite the few million they got from our Govt., for example.

I believe the majority of people in Ireland expect differing views and the expressions of same to be facilitated by the media including our national broadcaster subject to the usual caveat of not promoting violence. Hopefully, that's not changed by any 'hate' legislation we're getting.

Thanks for the answer.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Hardly buzzkill. You know I’m right. If heterosexuals weren’t reproducing, the human race would not exist.

Gay men using women as beards and having kids with them still needed a heterosexual woman to bear their child.

Im proud that people of my orientation are responsible for the onward march of the human race. That’s hardly a crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Your ether principeled or not...

By flying the pride flag in the West they are hoping a beef up their social imagine leading to more money...

You either believe in the whole pride thing or now, you can't go picking a choosing when to support when it suits in search of profits...

That's not the question, though. I'm not saying society's attitudes are perfect.

What I'm saying is that can you name a human right that trans people do not enjoy in this country?

To take the gay parallel, gay people were denied the right to marry. And we fixed it.

So I'm still waiting to hear what human rights trans people do not enjoy in this country. If you are aware of them, let me know - as I'd be more than happy to accommodate that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Corporations are principled but the sole principle is profit. If one wants to impress, show me where they tell the Saudi government or any other grubby little theocratic oligarchy that their diversity policy in their content, products or services stands regardless of sanctions or bans.

One of my favourite games, Hearts of Iron IV is and remains banned in China for its accurate depiction of China in World War 2. The devs could have caved but they didn't though I don't know how big the market in China is for map painting Swedish strategy games.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement