Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NASCAR 2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

This is what happens when you let huge stock cars with low-hanging splitters and no minimum ride height rules onto a road course 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

NASCAR is great craic. Harvick sends Elliott into the wall earlier in the race. Elliott hunts him down, but under the heat of a chasing No.9, Harvick missed a corner and hits a wall. I feel Elliott will get his payback to Harvick in the future!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Jacques Villeneuve just won his first Euro Nascar race - is that his first win in any series since being an F1 driver??

What's the format these days? Whoever finishes highest of the contenders in the last race wins?

Yes, pretty much that! I think it's only 4 drivers.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Only really got into it this year having had a passing interest previously.

I love the way the drivers make no secret of the fact they don't particularly like each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Red flag with 9 laps to go at Daytona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ricky S with the Irish Spring sponsorship. Top of the morning to ya 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Didn't bring him much luck there 😂

• Advertisement

Jaysus am I the only one who thought the defending of the lead at the end was beyond fair? I mean he put someone into the wall which later triggered a wreck and then just bashed into the car trying to get part on the inside. One thing at Martinsville or w/e but a bit much at 200mph.

I hadn't a clue this is back on - sorry I missed it. Reminder for anyone else - Indycar this wekend...Racin' is back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Keselowski set the precedent during the race on at least two occasions and wasn't penalised, Cindric stretched the limits aswell at the finish on his teammate Blaney to take the win though if he didn't do it Bubba may have sneaked the win at the expense of Penske. As it's close restrictor plate racing at Daytona Nascar has nearly always defaulted the benefit of doubt over questionable blocking but these carnage finishes have been getting worse recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Was at the race,really good racing,except in stage 2,where they ran single file for lap after lap.The Cindric win was popular enough,Bubba did'nt get booed at driver introductions,the amount of trump t-shirts was off the scale,have never seen the likes of it at Daytona before,and 50% of the crowd had a Chase cap or t-shirt,they did'nt have much to cheer about.The Fords dominated the race,but I'd say the lads in Dearborn are still trying to figure out how Truex won both stage's !!

Post edited by easygoing39 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tough track tonight, as the race goes on the wall becomes the only place to be. Very tough on tyres too, you'll see somebody take a gamble to try have an extra set in the pits for a late caution because you can make up huge ground in a shirt time with fresh tyres.

I'm liking Kyle Busch, Chase Elliott, Joey Logano and potential shock winner Ricky Stenhouse jr. for tonight's race.

Las Vegas Motor Speedway on now. It's a great fast track. Be great to watch the fast runners starting at the back making their way up the field.

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting to see if Trackhouse can build on that performance. Great to see another team challenge the established powerhouses.

Talladega... Big wreck just now. Such close racing with these new aero spec cars.

I think it was 24 cars finished the race, there wasn't a big one which is a rare occurrence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭Infoanon

There was a big one - just earlier in the race , there was a 'small ' one at the end with Kurt and Bubba wrecking ,Hamlin getting into a bit of bother after a tweet about Larsons involvement

Byron literally rammed by Joey Logano on the last lap to take victory.

I know it's nascar but that's ridiculous.

Few big wrecks as well , the 2311 team victims again.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I don't like that drivers get away with moves like that. I don't mind the side to side action but not from behind.

Logano has done that a lot in his career.

Felt sorry for Kyle Busch and Chastain, they had great cars.

Looks like Kimi is off to NASCAR with Trackhouse racing! Should be great fun watching him, starting in August.

"Team Trackhouse, PROJECT91 and Kimi Raikkonen are here and ready to activate the intersection of NASCAR racing and global motorsport culture in a Chevrolet Camaro ZL1. Appearing in the NASCAR Cup Series race on the road course at Watkins Glen (N.Y.) International on Aug. 21, PROJECT91 is a program designed to push the guardrails and expand our international reach."

https://www.trackhouse.com/project-91

Kimi in the #91 is a one off drive this season. Watkins Glen should suit Kimi a lot more than his previous oval outings.

Great PR for Nascar and Track house following the disasterous Texas all stars debacle where for many the line between entertainment and sport was crossed. That Nascar admitted the last second yellow was unnecessary speaks volumes.

Charlotte 600 mile race this weekend should be a lot better.

Trackhouse are a serious outfit. They are already up there with the top teams and that's seriously impressive.

Trackhouse flying again in the Coca Cola 600. They are currently first and second with Suarez taking stage 2 from Chastain.

I've never seen a 600 like this one. So many cars out already, loads of cars just losing it and most say they didn't feel it coming.

Denny Hamlin has had a rough day, won qualifying and was good in practice but has been falling back all night. Suddenly he's appeared in the top ten again.

Denny Hamlin started on pole, struggled all night and woke up in overtime to win it. Lots of unlucky drivers last night, Chase Elliott, Kurt Busch, Ryan Blaney and Denis Suarez were all legitimate contenders to win but didn't get to finish the race.

Sonoma race on now and it's on Freesports on satellite TV!

I don't think anybody would have predicted the top four in that race.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Larsons Tactics were madness really . the lack of a lot of passing other than barging or letting them bye didnt help the entertainment

Daniil will be racing stock this weekend. 7pm on Sunday on Premier Sports 2.

• Advertisement

So this is it. Kimi returns to Nascar this evening starting 27th in the #91 car for Trackhouse Racing at Watkins Glen at 8pm this evening Irish time.

Coverage begins on Premier Sports 2 at 7.30pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

And it's raining so looking like there won't be any action for a while.

First time driving these next gen cars in the wet. Should be interesting to see how Kimi and Danil get on. Will their experience of driving in wet weather help them?

drying very quick . elliot just keeping in the race

No such thing as track limits with these guys. Maybe Kimi needs to start getting out there to take a few more places. Doing really well so far with a highest position of 8th so far! Pitted for feul before the end of stage two so is running in 25th with his current strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Well that is that. He did very well for his first race. Pity it ended prematurely. Will be interesting to see who else gets a seat in the 91 when they do it again.

As for Danil, the less said the better I think.....

AJ in fourth and a restart coming, he's just so good that anything could happen here.

Aj never got near him last night and didnt tonight . rough on elliot

Kimi certainly impressed. I hope he gets another go at it. Project 91 is interesting. Imagine even Vettel having a go in these cars. Provided they're setup well, and just not a back marker team I think any F1 driver would excel in Nascar road course race.

AJ finishing second both nights is incredible. It was clear he didn't have nearly the best car either night but still manages second both nights. If you put him in a Hendrick car last night he'd have won it by a street. He's miles better than anybody on a road course.

• Advertisement

Daytona is on at the moment. Intense close racing on this super speedway. Mental stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Wow, half the field wrecks because of a pop-up shower in T1 that NASCAR was apparently completely oblivious to.

Clownshow.

Here we go for the conclusion of a long red flagged race!

It was a crazy race and Truex losing out on the playoffs by three points to Blaney was sick.

Breaking news tonight that Alex Bowman is to miss Talledega this weekend.

Bowman is reported as suffering concussion like symptoms following a crash at Texas.

There was a lot of controversy after Texas , multiple heavy crashes as a result of blown tyres , a controversial clash between William Byron and Danny Hamlin which was missed by Nascar but now has been addressed with Byron getting a 25 point deduction taking him below the cut off line.

However the most controversial was when Ty Gibbs purposely swerved into Ty Dillon in the pits.

Network TV and Nascar ignored the incident initially , Nascar has since reacted but the fine on Ty Gibb is viewed as light and has led to calls for Gibbs to be suspended for at least one race.

Meantime senior drivers - Hamlin / Harvick are being openly critical of Nascar , with now a second driver out with concussion (Kurt Busch being the other driver out with concussion ), expect further heightened tensions

Talledega could not come at a worse time for Nascar.

On a lighter note , Conor Day makes his Nascar debut the following week at the Charlotte Roval.

The Hamlin thing was bad how byron could spin him deliberatly on yellow and end up getting the space and Hamlins gets put back , was a loophole in the laws,

Dinny tends to get in a lot of hassle lol

Nbc coverage has not been as good as the fox in my opinion , even later in the race fox would keep the race showing during adds , nbc does not - on the international code you get it , but i like to watch on the fox or nbc apps

the tires were bad as well and this week there going into a demolition derby

• Advertisement

Hamlin deserved the same treatment as Byron as he clearly knew what he was doing pushing Byron up the track.

As for Ty Gibbs, he'll get off light because he is Joe Gibbs grandson, he's basically a VIP. He'll be driving the no.18 next year and I'd guess that's the reason Kyle Busch is getting out of there as he knows that when Ty moves up he'll get preferential treatment to the rest of the team. That's been happening this year in the Xfinity series.

On the coverage, Fox coverage is different league to NBC's. Unfortunately they always have the first half of the season. I'd much prefer it the other way around.

Gragson has been the best in the xfinity . not something id have expecred after cota barging etc.

this weekend is going to be a bit wild . anything could happen

No doubt Gragson has been brilliant over the last four races.

I'm talking about Gibbs racing and Ty having a better car than the other Gibbs drivers.

Talledega was a disappointment last night. These next gen cars have made it next to impossible to make your way through the field on super speedways. It's very boring to watch now as there is nothing going on bar the few big ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement