Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole 'summer bonus' .. are they for real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

The thing is Covid put many into a situation were they couldn't work or find work. The concept that this happens to other people all the time is something they are unable or unwilling to comprehend. Its easier to look down and pass judgement than look up at the policy makers it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,961 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

My apologies if the truth hurts. Head for the play sand.

Unfortunately despite the facts, The Departments own reporting, anecdotal evidence, trying to explain and indeed common sense, there will remain those who think Ireland is awash with SW cheats, Free money is thrown at people and the admin of our SW system is a Basket case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

😂

Jangle off to work in the morning with the green flag wrapped around him. Kisses wife on the cheek and she looks him in awe as he goes out the door: "There he goes, my everyday hero, with the weight of the nation on his shoulders. Not like those scum across the green with their trampolines and medical cards."

• Advertisement

Lol, caught out so many times and yet, still in Denial, you've actually been on my ignore list for quite some time but I do get a slight bit of amusement (only slight) at some of your extraordinary & bizzare contributions. Not at all surprising you turned up on this Thread .

Not quite , just hard to forget some of your contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Juran

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I know four adults of working-age on long-term welfare.

2x JSA, 2x DA

JSA1: definite fraud, never looks for work, seems to never be challenged, is busy with a nixer, earns maybe 40k gross, has received 100,000 in student grants, drives an AUDI Q5.

DA1 is wife of JSA1, had cancer years ago, is not disabled in my opinion, but manages to get DA

JSA2: I'm not so sure here, nice fella, has had problems with drink, great golfer, handicap = 2

DA2 has a mild mental illness, has worked in the past, but wouldn't be great in holding down a job

For three of them it's a lifestyle choice, one has a mild mental illness / awkward / difficult to employ.

You could argue that one, maybe two, of the four are genuine.

Now, I'm not unusual, so this scenario must be repeated in every town. So I suggest (buy obviously can't prove) that tens of thousands of working-age adults should not be on welfare.

Now, this is not the same as fraud. JSA1 is outright fraud, as the nixer is not declared, but the other three are not really defrauding the system.

It's just that they should not be on these schemes, it's not fraud, it's more softness by the system and politicians.

• Advertisement

These are in every town and village. We have people who are in denial here and see no rational.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...so most if not all of those cases are clearly dealing with complex psychological issues, as some studies have already shown.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If you're making stuff up, it's probably for the best you don't over-egg your tall tales.

40k cash in hand "nixer" (If any significant sum of this lands in a bank account, Revenue know something is up and you will be found out) and driving an Audi? Why didn't you put him in a mink coat and top-hat altogether.

And as tall tales go, given your aversion to all this, I'm guessing you've done the right thing and reported him? Right? Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Not a word of a lie.

I am related to him.

I have not reported him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It seems that there are more and more people online who are more and more right wing, but I think it's just a tiny minority of people who spend way too much time on the internet looking for these opportunities to sh1t on people who they feel are beneath them.

In my life, I know several people who are/were long term unemployed

As others have already said, a lot of it is down to mental health and self confidence and not being able to pull themselves out a mess they find themselves in

I know a young person who never did very well in school, was quiet and had a few friends but lacked a lot of confidence, the kind of fellah who could do a job but couldn't get a job because he was just deeply afraid of change, he liked stability and was used to living at home and having the same routine. He never did well away from home, dropped out of college, tried to travel, lived abroad but even then he just stayed with people he knew and hardly left the house. Was on the dole for a number of years, finally met a guy who was able to get him a job in the place he was working and since then, he's been working like a trooper, doing really well and growing in confidence, but I know that if he ever has to leave that job, there's a good chance he could find himself back in that same place he was before.

Another guy I know was working in a factory, was made redundant a few years ago and took his redundancy and went to live with his elderly father who was living on his own in a rural isolated area, the plan was to do up the house and help care for his father, who then got sick and went into a nursing home and he spent all his money on repairs and refurbishing the old family home and now he's suffering the effects of isolation himself and has some mental health issues (which he doesn't recognise and won't seek help for (if help was even possible)

Another fellah was a carpenter and a stonemason but didn't have the official 'qualifications' and had been doing odd jobs and working on a family farm for years until there was a row with his brother (brother screwed him over for some work he did) and now they're not speaking. He's basically retired, has no real intention of getting a job and physically wouldn't be able to do any construction work full time anyway...

In other words life is complex, there are reasons why people end up on 'the dole' long term

Just because there are jobs available doesn't mean everyone is in a position to take them, and the state doesn't have the ability to work through the complex reasons why any one person may be long term unemployed.

65k long term unemployed out of a workforce of 2.5 million, that's about 2%

There are reasons for each of those people to be on the dole. Some are tragic, some are just temporary life circumstances that most people go through at some point and go on to become fully productive members of society. The percentage of these people who are 'life long dole scroungers' is way below 1% of the labour force, and of these people, would you hire them to do a job? If they're that lazy or manipulative even if they could physically work, if you can't trust them to do it carefully or honestly, then maybe it's just worth taking the hit and paying them their dole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

In my local that's all they do be talking about..

How much is the 208 Jobseekers being raised by, and when.

yup, those with complex psychological issues generally gravitate towards maladaptive activities such as alcohol consumption!

DA is the holy grail of social welfare. Plenty of people try to get it, and fail.

I know a guy who gets a burger allowance. That's what he calls it.

Extra SW payment, purpose being to take his kid out for a weekly meal.. he's separated.

• Advertisement

i some how doubt its actually called a burger allowance, but extra welfare makes sense, as pup confirmed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

The number of thanks for the OP reflect the extreme right wing bias of this website in recent years.

Youse obviously aren't too busy in your jobs, if you have time to be posting far right agitprop on the net. If I was your boss, I'd fire most of ye for stealing my time.

There is no such thing as dole, it is called jobseekers allowance or jobseekers benefit.

All welfare allowances should be significantly increased by 25% or so. They have not kept pace with inflation particularly in recent years. One exception is the old age pension which should be means tested. Many wealthy pensioners get it but don't need it. Of course the latter will never happen as all the main political parties are beholden to the elderly, the most selfish and self-interested generation, who demanded the country was locked down for two years due to their neurotic self-obsession.

IF there are so many jobs, explain to me why I am not even getting to the interview stage. I am a qualified finance professional with a lot of experience. I am being serious here, genuinely struggling to find employment. I think possibly I am viewed as too old but I am only 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

No matter how hard people push that narrative. There is no such thing as free houses. I say this as a home owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

We need to give monetary assistance to people. We base who gets what on certain criteria. I don't see a problem with the concept. Are there chancers taking advantage, sure.

Why do these threads always come in heavy with stories but claim to acknowledge, while ignoring, the people who need it genuinely? Soft targets?

We have complete wasters in politics getting a few pensions and nobody does **** all.

It's interesting to me that the thing that grinds the gears of the OP and 40 others is the mere suggestion of a measly extra €200 a year (less than a euro a day) for jobseekers. Not a word from the OP about the huge levels of proven corruption involving, as you say, politicians. Of the fact modern Ireland is basically a tax scam run for the benefit of US multinationals.

Yes, the MNC's who hardly pay any tax when they should be paying billions, plus the farmers with their multi-billion welfare scheme called CAP (or whether its successor is called, I forget). But you don't mean those, do you, French Toast? You prefer picking on easy targets.

People aren’t bitter, it’s the thought of the taxes they pay from working to fund the Mickey rock and roll lifestyle.

• Advertisement

I would oppose this, speaking as someone who would have benefited from it (formerly on high income now on jobseekers). Reducing benefit for the long term unemployed is the opposite of an incentive to them to get jobs, it is more likely to act as an incentive for them to either turn to crime or go on disability. Long term unemployed in some cases have significant criminal records, I am not defending it but in some cases even if they have reformed their ways they struggle to get an employer to give them a break.

Advertisement