Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole 'summer bonus' .. are they for real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Well a small minority are choosing the dole over getting a minimum wage job and we should not incentivise this by raising the dole. Their should always be a very clear advantage for people who work and contribute to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Then is it not the minimum wage that should be increased?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Because people rarely start posts about something they have no issue with.

Youre free to start a thread about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Get out the door you spoofer and take your boyeens with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The elite using the media to turn poor people against slightly poorer people is a timeless trick. Our elite, mostly small time landlords, have handed over our national housing policy to private interest, with public subsidy, and then they are allowed to go on national TV and whinge about the plight faced by landlords and how they pay "52%" tax, of course completely untrue but it doesn't have to be true because the finger can just be waged at people on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The ethos of some people is there there must be some people around to give a kick to. People on the dole are as good as any.

I recall being on the scratch for a window back in the recessionary times (about 4 months if I recall correctly). That was a structural recession and unemployment crisis generated by idiots at the top of society.

What stuck with me was the language and sentiment about the unemployed (dead weight, moaners, scroungers).at the time. Even in a structural economic crisis, right wing turds always reach for the same sh*te.

Haven't forgotten how demoralising it was and know a uneducated gammon space cadet by their language well now. They're usually only marginally more useful than the 'dole lifers' they decry themselves.

Have paid back my dues many times over in my career, and will never judge those who have to seek help. It's only the marginal and extreme cases of dole fraud that I really take issue with, and I don't see much evidence that it's widespread in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,965 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I agree actually with your points but the Thread (Predictably) not been about increasing SW its been primarily been about bashing SW recipients .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

You’re taking it too personal, can’t be helped I guess since you’re one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Sorry for taking off topic, Surprised at the posts wanting to means test old age pension.

A 400k pension pot would probably generate 16k pa and the oap is 10500 so 26.5k net? Hardly luxury after a lifetime of work.

Would that not be just another blow to the middle classes who already pay enough over their lifetime to qualify.

That would not really incentivise people to pay into private pensions at all.

• Advertisement

If you can pull yourself together, get a grip and look at a detailed post about the person I am a few pages back after another slur,and come back to me .

Regardless if I was "One of Them " (you seem to think they are beneath contempt ) , and I actually not , this doesn't mean I can't call out people like you who don't take a second to think about people's situations or for that matter think before you Type 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I was also unemployed for 3 months in the last recession, grim times, and that was then our wise government decided if you were under 25 your social welfare needs would be half what an over 25 y/o was. I remember being in the dole office and you take a ticket with a number on it and your number comes up on a screen at one of the booths. My number was up next and the person before me just left so I stood up and approached the booth and the woman behind the screen said: "I haven't changed the number yet", so I turned around and sat back down and 2 seconds later she changed the number and I went back up to her.

She must have felt so useful and productive using her button pushing skills to keep me in my place. Same woman turns out is known to my parents, they say she's still working the counter at the dole office, and here I am at a very advanced stage of a lucrative career.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There is a percentage of pensioners who have amassed wealth and have greater private pensions.

It makes sense to allocate more to those solely dependent on the state pension or with a modest private pension to supplement it.

It makes sense to give a larger payment to those on disability because they don't have the option to work.

It makes sense to give a larger payment to carers because they provide 24/7 care and lose their personal freedom. The cost of the state providing this care would be astronomical.

It makes sense to give newly unemployed people a significant percentage of their working wage because their outgoings are based on it.

All of these are rightfully using a social safety net. It's the generational welfare families that anger people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭malinheader

These are the types of nutters who are destroying this country.

The lunatics have certainly taken over the asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭corks finest

V few and far between I suggest

who the hell wants to survive on e200 a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭corks finest

How n my any have come to this country and went straight on welfare?

housing lists ?etc etc

You do know that you have to prove residency for a specified amount of time in Ireland before you can claim welfare, don't you? Even if you're Irish, 8f you've been out if the country over a certain period you aren't entitled to a payment. I know you're enjoying whipping yourself into a froth if rage here, but you'll have to re-direct your attention away from "de foyrners" on this thread if you want to achieve your desired level of incandescent fury.

Practically Zero , the refugee situation obviously a separate issue and more than enough threads dealing with that so not going to discuss it here.

Head spinning is it, don't assume you know anything about fellow posters , think before you type .

Let's move on , you have your opinions , I have mine and I probably have more than slight understanding of Success and Real hardship than most. I don't depend on supports, I may in time require supports like many others , supports I've earned through a long career, but I'm not struggling like many, many others are, this doesn't mean I can't show a little compassion and understanding to those that are struggling and facing real hardship.

Good night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭enricoh

All genuine, no doubt about it!

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-mcwilliams/mystery-of-massive-rise-in-those-quitting-workforce-on-disability-29170473.html

Why are small landlords leaving the sector in their droves n there sod all houses to rent? Maybe they're all thick, eh?!

Froth of rage, incandescent fury- hmm good debating points there! Over 50% on fingals housing list foreign born, god bless paddy taxpayer!

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/news/over-half-on-housing-list-are-foreign-27973856.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,403 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just did a quick google there and while I couln't see anything for the last few years back in 2017 welfare fraud amounted to €38.4 million, it was even higher in 2016 at €41 million.

Those figures would suggest it is widespread and this article was from the lib bible The Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Highest in the EU!!!

We seem to be a very sick country.

A quick Google search will also that the SW budget for 2017 was €19.85 Billion, fraud by any stretch of the imagination is not wide spread and actually not primarily Jobseekers Related .The department over sees and manages a host of payments, not necessarily to do with unemployment and a fraud investigation can take years to detect, such a pension fraud. Whilst a separate issue there's also a lot of over payments made which are actually as a result of errors made by the department and not fraudulently claimed by recipients.

I'd doubt there's a Sociial welfare system in the world that doesn't have some level of fraud, it's not unique to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Juran

So you ask who can live on 208 euros a week, right ? For a lot of people ( and not all may I add), the 208 is only pocket money. I know a good few on long term dole, aged 30 to 50, all fit and healthy. One is my cousin who has never worked and she's almost 40. Works seasonal jobs in B&B's for cash, always has a nice car, holidays abroad. House paid for by rent allowance. Most of the guys I know do odd jobs, gardening, fishing, painting, etc. Been on the dole since they were 18. If work dries up, say for the winter, they have the 208, rent allowance and medical card to fall back on. How is it that easy ? Then you hear of some poor fecker who loses his job and the welfare office breaks their balls when he applies for JSA, makes them go for interviews, puts them on training courses, etc. All I agree with. But why are the long term dole heads untouched in this country ?

• Advertisement

Rent allowance does not exist anymore. If she is single, she would not be able to rent an entire house on her own because there is a ceiling to the amount of rent they will contribute to and this decreases the less people renting the property and would be unobtainable to a single person for anything other than a room in a shared house. Feel free to make up more stuff. Because, if it was real, you'd have reported her by now right?

Advertisement