Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options
1213214215216217219»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

This reported in The Sun and similar in the Daily Mail. They say a confidential report leaked claims co-pilot tried to use his mobile phone prior to contact being lost with the aircraft

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8702191/mh370-malaysian-airlines-co-pilot-use-mobile-aircraft-vanished/

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Fantastic article came out in The Atlantic yesterday. Well written, well researched, and put a shiver up my spine at what went on. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/07/mh370-malaysia-airlines/590653/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Fantastic article came out in The Atlantic yesterday. Well written, well researched, and put a shiver up my spine at what went on. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/07/mh370-malaysia-airlines/590653/

Not so sure about that.....

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-atlantics-william-langewiesche-dusts-off-discredited-conspiracy-theory-to-accuse-mh370-pilot-of-hijacking

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

That's the most plausible theory, and the one I have believed in since this happened. It would be very easy to accomplish.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

Wombatman wrote: »

That rebuttal doesn't really stand up for me. It's also riddled with errors.

Example:

One of the largest pieces, an outboard wing flap, was found on Pemba Island off the coast of Tanzania, in June 2016. This was highly significant to investigators because this flap could only be activated for takeoff or landing by command of the pilot. It could not be independently moved by the autopilot.

Here the author is confusing flaps with flaperons. Basic aeronautical knowledge deficiency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

What do people make of the latest theory re: the 20 minute holding pattern?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

Haven’t seen anything, must do a search, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Good documentary on the latest

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

If they do eventually find this and get the flight recorder, after 8 years in salt water would the data be recoverable ?

The AF447 was in the sea for 2 years and they could recover that, but not sure if there are limits here..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

there's an excellent 2part documentary on channel 5 called Flight MH370: The Full Story 

part 2 is on tonight @ 9.00pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,665 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

New Netfliks Docuseries out now called "MH370: The Plane That disappeared"

Just started watching it.

My own theory is that there were Terrorists more than likely Noth Korean ones on board who hijacked the plane and wanted to use it as a missile just like the 9/11Terrorists maybe to attack an American airbase in South Korea but the pilots and passengers fought back and the plane ended up in the ocean somewhere.

I hope its found someday and the loved ones of those lost get closure eventually but untill them it shall remain a mystery.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

Watched the first episode. It's just conspiracy theory cobblers. I suppose the mystery of it invites that kind of coverage but a lot of people will watch any nonsense that Netflix puts in front of them so it's quite irresponsible of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Theorists on board - yes indeed, there are theorists everywhere.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

impressive stretch of logic. Malaysia is a long way from South Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 15,665 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not really. The plane was going to Beijing in China which actually further. It does not matter anyway as the plane did not go that way.

Here you go.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

Watched the series today. Pretty good if very dramatised

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MattGGames

What if the flight went south has anyone checked the islands like Big Ben island? It would be the location but not distance. How long could a plane glide for if it had ran out of fuel? Just a theory sorry if it offends anyone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

First episode was a reminder of how aggressive the media can be in covering grieving families. Much of the rest of the series quickly became Jeff Wise's ego trip. The journalist from Le Monde was more level headed...until she wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just finished the NEtflix series. Like a lot of aviation enthusiasts I'm interested in the incident and would love to see what happened. The first episode felt complete nonsense, and I couldn't believe Netflix had produced such tripe. The theories put out there seem complete nonsense, none of which I believe.

However, some of the challenging of accepted facts has me questioning what is real and waht was their delusion. Is there any cerdible evidence to the idea that the debris found in East Africa was planted?

Probably one for he conspiracy theory thread but doesn't anyone think there was anything sinister at play more than murder/sucide by the pilot?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I dot think it was the Pilot. He seemed to love aviation.

but the fact is, someone flrew that aircraft on purpose to be undetected. Maybe one of the other Captains or FO's but it didnt just fall out of the sky and thats for sure.

• Advertisement

I stated that "Malaysia is a long way from South Korea"

I didn't imply/infer that it's wasn't within range of the aircraft.

My point being that getting to Korea was an interesting decision for a hijack attempt. A long flight towards a heavily defended nation with lots of areas for interception by military aircraft.

This incident is shocking for the mystery around it. But this gives rise to outlandish and farfetched theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭xper

Just watched Why Planes Vanish: The Hunt for MH370 on BBC1, surprised it hadn't been flagged up here beforehand. One of the better, non-sensationalist and factually accurate documentaries on an aviation topic that I've seen. Would recommend catching a repeat or iPlayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Complete junk post which belongs in either Conspiracy Theories or the bin.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Christ on a bike

Word salad post deleted

Advertisement