Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Tenger wrote: »

Website is useless to read on as they'll either force me to turn off adblock or sign up.

And Adblock or sign up is NOT a reason to post it in its entirity here, there are copyright issues with doing so.
    If we have to delete the same long post again, there will be 1 week bans issued

<SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Website is useless to read on as they'll either force me to turn off adblock or sign up.

Open the site then immediately click the stop button on your browser before the annoying ad thing appears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Bsal wrote: »

With the amount of crap that gets washed up on beaches it would be very easy to overlook pieces like this. I'd guess there was pieces already found that were put straight in the rubbish bin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

christy c wrote: »
    With the amount of crap that gets washed up on beaches it would be very easy to overlook pieces like this. I'd guess there was pieces already found that were put straight in the rubbish bin

If there were pieces found that was small enough that would mean it blown out of the sky, wonder who would have been capable of this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

If there were pieces found that was small enough that would mean it blown out of the sky,
    No it doesn't. It means that after months and months of floating around the Indian Ocean we are finally finding small parts of wreckage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

"(CNN)A piece of what appears to be a Rolls Royce engine cowling has been found on a beach in South Africa, according to officials. "

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/23/world/possible-mh370-engine-cowling-found/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The piece of what looks to be an aircraft wing found off Mozambique is said to "almost certainly" be from MH370 according to Australian Government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Interesting article on the Irish Times on the search for it - they really have to put up with some awful storms .

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/loneliness-and-storms-buffet-crew-in-endless-search-for-mh370-1.2671478

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

So it's looking more and more like the pilot deliberately crashed it, but in a controlled manner. Which leaves plenty of questions unanswered, such as what were the crew doing for all those hours.

Sorry - thought this was the speculation thread.Moved to the discussion thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

So it's looking more and more like the pilot deliberately crashed it, but in a controlled manner. Which leaves plenty of questions unanswered, such as what were the crew doing for all those hours.

"Crashed" is the wrong word for a controlled landing on water. I would say "ditched". But whatever you call it there does not seem to suicidal intent here, assuming the person controlling the a/c was on board.

Google '60 minutes mh370' to get more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

I see they found a deleted file on his computer which shows he was using a flight simulator to fly into the Southern Oceans
    Why not search the area where this file shows he landed?

mbur wrote: »
    "Crashed" is the wrong word for a controlled landing on water. I would say "ditched". But whatever you call it there does not seem to suicidal intent here, assuming the person controlling the a/c was on board.

Google '60 minutes mh370' to get more info.

He ditched the plane because if you ditch the plane It will sink as intact as possible depending on how "good" the ditching was. and leave as small a debris field as possible.
    A high speed crash will leave a large debris field as the plane is destroyed on impact.

The reason as with his route is clear, He wanted to disappear the plane as best as possible for infamy or whatever reason he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

With the lack of expected debris that you would expect from a plane having ''crashed'' or having exploded mid air, the theory of a ''soft landing'' on the water is starting to gain more traction. With that in mind, if the passengers were still conscious, it must have been a horrendous ordeal.

MH370 was flown into water 'deliberately', crash expert says..
    A leading crash investigator says he is confident that MH370 was flown into water "deliberately."

A section of wing from the missing aircraft shows evidence it was extended when the plane hit the water, proving that someone was in control of the aircraft, air crash expert Larry Vance says.
    "There is no other alternate theory that fits," Mr Vance, who helmed the investigation into the downing of Swissair Flight 111 in 1998, told Channel Nine's 60 minutes programme on Sunday .
    "Somebody was flying the airplane at the end of its flight," Mr Vance told 60 Minutes' Ross Coulthart.

So will they bother to search new areas based on his home sim data ?
    or will they just finish the priority area they have been searching and call it at that ?
    I think it's the 2nd option.

What a shame it will always be unsolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

If they do eventually find it, whenever that may be, will the black boxes be in any condition to reveal any of its information?

ozzy jr wrote: »
    If they do eventually find it, whenever that may be, will the black boxes be in any condition to reveal any of its information?

It's a good question, I know the Black Boxes of AF447 survived for 2 years in the deep atlantic, SSD memory is tough but you would think eventually the salt water would erode it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

ozzy jr wrote: »

It will. I recall the Air France plane went down in the Atlantic and wasn't found until 4 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    It will. I recall the Air France plane went down in the Atlantic and wasn't found until 4 years later.

If it is found and is readable a lot of key data may have been overwritten as the plane seemed to have been flying for up to 7 hours after it was lost from radar.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

They gotta get the streamed black boxes set up soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

To avoid any questions, I have just deleted a significant number of posts from this (and other) threads from a user that was determined to ignore the forum charter. We have taken appropriate action to deal with the problem

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Australian investigators are restarting the search for the plane.

It’s been nearly two-and-a-half years since Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 vanished over the Indian Ocean on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. After a $180 million effort that spanned 40,000 square miles of water, the crew in charge of the search now says it may have missed the wreckage.

http://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/08/missing-malaysia-airlines-370/498107/

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

If I was to say anything (rightly or wrongly) the pilot knew what he was doing

Is it possible to take a saved route/file from the flight SIM computer that he had at home
    and then
    load that file/route into the planes navigation computer?

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Is it possible to take a saved route/file from the flight SIM computer that he had at home
    and then

Doubt it , but I could be wrong ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Keplar240B wrote: »
    and then

yes you can. Why asking? I don't think they found anything interesting on pilot's sim, did they? For what it's worth, pilots don't typically fly normal routes from A to B on their home sims - you typically go through scenarios that are not common or likely.. I used to have a whole plethora of "game-saves" with me approaching Madeira or Araan Islands with one or both engines out, I certainty wouldn't like anyone making any conclusions from that if I go missing

martinsvi wrote: »
    yes you can. Why asking? I don't think they found anything interesting on pilot's sim, did they? For what it's worth, pilots don't typically fly normal routes from A to B on their home sims - you typically go through scenarios that are not common or likely.. I used to have a whole plethora of "game-saves" with me approaching Madeira or Araan Islands with one or both engines out, I certainty wouldn't like anyone making any conclusions from that if I go missing

They did, they didn't admit it at first but he had a load of simmed flights to the southern Indian ocean on his home setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

They did, they didn't admit it at first but he had a load of simmed flights to the southern Indian ocean on his home setup.

are you sure it was coming from a reputable source and not some daily mail or "anonymous" facebook page? Even if the pilot was planing this sort of thing, I can't see the practical side on saving it as a flight. Then again I can't see the practical side on downing a jet also.. I guess I shouldn't assume everyone else thinks like me

martinsvi wrote: »
    are you sure it was coming from a reputable source and not some daily mail or "anonymous" facebook page? Even if the pilot was planing this sort of thing, I can't see the practical side on saving it as a flight. Then again I can't see the practical side on downing a jet also.. I guess I shouldn't assume everyone else thinks like me

Seems you are right

http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b/0526&opt=0

I thought I remember BBC reporting it as fact tho ... anyway , still as mysterious as ever.

• Advertisement

So they have found some possible burnt wreckage of MH370.
    And they have extended the search till December ..

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37333762

Advertisement