Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Are you confusing this with MH17?

No, but it could be embarrassing taken the two happened in such a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Before I get sanctioned again, it is now accepted that the plane headed into the Indian ocean a major airspace controlled by the US, it is their biggest air base with the latest radar and communications outside the US. My point is if they failed to pick up MH370 in their radar or AWACS then their security failed. If they seen an aircraft heading towards them with no flight recognition signal they would be entitled to take it down. That is not a conspiracy theory. The problem I see if they had to shoot it down why not admit it and end the grief.

Why would the United States of America's military see a plane with no tags or information flying over the Indian ocean a threat to them despite the fact that they are basically on the other side of the globe.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Diago Garsia is the base I am posting about Google it is in the middle of the Indian Ocean and has the capacity with their AWACS and radar to reach up as far as Pakistan look at your atlas.

Just because US has a base in the middle of Indian Ocean, it doesn't mean they control the entire ocean... India, South Africa, Australia, Madagascar, Maldives, Sychelles and Mauritius own the airspace as split up with Australia owning the majority of it.

Saying that US controls the Indian Ocean airspace because they have a base there is like saying they own the European airspace because they have a base in Germany (probably have a few others I'm unaware about).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Diago Garsia is the base I am posting about Google it is in the middle of the Indian Ocean and has the capacity with their AWACS and radar to reach up as far as Pakistan look at your atlas.

You're correct, Diego is in the exact centre of the Indian Ocean. But we don't know where it entered the water. None of the projected tracks so far have shown it passing Diego. I think it entered the water much further south. The flaperon has only now shown up after floating for god knows how long.

Control may be the wrong word, they have the capabilities of covering the airspace to see what is in the air. Do you think that the air base sits out there in the Indian ocean not bothering about what is going on around them. AWACS extend their radar capabilities.The base was sent up for control most of the bombers that bombed Iraq and Afghanistan were based there.

So their eyes and capabilities are focused North? Knowing a little about the military, Diego would not be considered a juicy assignment so would be staffed with voluntolds rather than volunteers. If it's not considered a threat it will be ignored.

• Advertisement

In such a volatile area would you not expect the US to be on high alert for any sort of aircraft that does not respond coming from East Asia.
    With people like that I could see the problem why it was not reported and could be a reason for a clean up.

But it's volatile to the north, not in the vicinity of Diego. We still don't know where it entered the water, the Inmarsat data indicates it went to the south and west not directly west. We don't know the capabilities of the radar on the island or on the awacs or in what direction their focus is.

As for a cover up. Why? What is being covered up. If they didn't see it, was it due to lack of capability or they just didn't see it as it wasn't near them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

capacity with their AWACS and radar to reach up as far as Pakistan look at your atlas.
    Do you have a reference regarding the range of their radar or is your comment just a guess?

smurfjed wrote: »
    Do you have a reference regarding the range of their radar or is your comment just a guess?

AWACS,
    General characteristics[edit]

Wellington Ic "Air Controlled Interception" showing rotating radar antenna

Lockheed EC-121M showing characteristic radar domes above and below fuselage

British carrier-borne Fairey Gannet AEW.3 used during the 1960s and 1970s
    Modern AEW&C systems can detect aircraft from up to 250 miles (400 km) away, well out of range of most surface-to-air missiles. One AEW&C aircraft flying at 30,000 feet (9,100 m) can cover an area of 120,460 square miles (312,000 km2). Three such aircraft in overlapping orbits can cover the whole of Central Europe.[6] AEW&C systems communicate with friendly aircraft, vectoring fighters towards bogeys, providing data on threats and targets, help extend their sensor range and make offensive aircraft more difficult to track, since they no longer need to keep their own radar active to detect threats.

https://encrypted.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCwQFjACahUKEwjsqtuk59vHAhUEi3IKHfewAcc&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAirborne_early_warning_and_control&usg=AFQjCNHNyW5HK1tRFwC4DJcDKyXobyAQRg&sig2=EA-iy50cyXiwTMowX0UEcg

Modern AEW&C systems can detect aircraft from up to 250 miles (400 km) away
    It really isn't that far! So your idea that Diego Garcia could cover the whole ocean really isn't correct. Also the USA doesn't have an unlimited amount of AWAC's, so I would imagine that they would assign them to more important areas than the middle of no where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Every time some new bit of info comes out, the conspiracy theory nutters get all aroused straight away.

Put the tinfoil hats back on and retreat to your darkened room and leave the logical and sane population in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Modern AEW&C systems can detect aircraft from up to 250 miles (400 km) away
    Distance from Diego Garcia to Karachi: 3,624 km

Good work Detective...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The troll has been banned for a week.
    He knew he would be "sanctioned again" and continued to post theories about the US involvement in the cover up.
    The last few posts will be deleted later on today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

In such a volatile area would you not expect the US to be on high alert for any sort of aircraft that does not respond coming from East Asia.

Diego Garcia a volatile area? In the middle of nowhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

AWACS,
    General characteristics[edit]

Wellington Ic "Air Controlled Interception" showing rotating radar antenna

Lockheed EC-121M showing characteristic radar domes above and below fuselage

British carrier-borne Fairey Gannet AEW.3 used during the 1960s and 1970s
    Modern AEW&C systems can detect aircraft from up to 250 miles (400 km) away, well out of range of most surface-to-air missiles. One AEW&C aircraft flying at 30,000 feet (9,100 m) can cover an area of 120,460 square miles (312,000 km2). Three such aircraft in overlapping orbits can cover the whole of Central Europe.[6] AEW&C systems communicate with friendly aircraft, vectoring fighters towards bogeys, providing data on threats and targets, help extend their sensor range and make offensive aircraft more difficult to track, since they no longer need to keep their own radar active to detect threats.

https://encrypted.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCwQFjACahUKEwjsqtuk59vHAhUEi3IKHfewAcc&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAirborne_early_warning_and_control&usg=AFQjCNHNyW5HK1tRFwC4DJcDKyXobyAQRg&sig2=EA-iy50cyXiwTMowX0UEcg

Poor spoofing referring to the Lockheed C121, this hasn't flown in 20 years or so and also specificially mentioning radar from the 60's and 70's? Poor research cut and pasting.

As for radar visibility, if we can see 14,000 flights at any given time on the FlightRadar24 app - from collected ADS data around the globe....I'm sure the world's military have something similar but on a much greater scale.

On board AWACS radar for local traffic and then military/satellite collected ADS and non ADS (and other terms that I can't even guess at) for over the horizon stuff.

Anyway............he will be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Pilot of #AF642 reported a floating object off Reunion island this morning.

http://www.airlive.net/2015/07/breaking-piece-of-wing-found-on-la.html

Maybe nothing however was spotted from 10000ft so must be fairly large. Its a longshot but hopefully its another piece of mh370.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Pilot of #AF642 reported a floating object off Reunion island this morning.

http://www.airlive.net/2015/07/breaking-piece-of-wing-found-on-la.html

Maybe nothing however was spotted from 10000ft so must be fairly large. Its a longshot but hopefully its another piece of mh370.

The latest on this unfortunately is that a search using merchant ships and a CASA have drawn a blank. Nothing found,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Have they narrowed the search area significantly at all, considering the wash up of debris and their original forecasts.
    Up to what age can the black box be of use if ever found?

The latest on this unfortunately is that a search using merchant ships and a CASA have drawn a blank. Nothing found,

I was surprised at the news that they couldnt find it when the CASA was launched, normally I wouldnt post news like this, but since it was seen from 9800ft, seemed like a good lead.

But as with all things mh370, nothing is as it seems at first glance. Maybe it will wash up on Madagascar in a few days/weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Have they narrowed the search area significantly at all, considering the wash up of debris and their original forecasts.
    Up to what age can the black box be of use if ever found?

The debris thus far simply confirms what was known or generally believed already. The only use the black box might serve now is to be recycled as a hurling helmet.

The only use the black box might serve now is to be recycled as a hurling helmet.
    Why so? Has anyone ever tested storing the memory chips underwater?

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote: »
    Why so? Has anyone ever tested storing the memory chips underwater?

According to Honeywell who made the boxes for mh370, they are designed to withstand pressure at 20000ft under water and are certified to retain data for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

any new developments on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

any new developments on this?[/QUOT
    I don't think so, and with the age of the black box now, i don't think we will ever know.

Air crash investigation have a second MH370 doc out now and on youtube. Its decent enough to watch.

Galway K9 wrote: »
    I don't think so, and with the age of the black box now, i don't think we will ever know.

Air crash investigation have a second MH370 doc out now and on youtube. Its decent enough to watch.

i watched it this morning, hence why i asked for update!

a quick google suggest that the latest search operation is delayed due to illness on one of the ships - will take 6 days to get back to shore and then i assume 6 days to get back out.

a second search vessel will arrive monday. seems a bit strange that they dont fly out a helicopter to pick up the injured/ill member and bring them in, though i assume Fuel is the challenge there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

assuming their ship is a bit slow and cruises at 20kt, that means in 6 days it will have to travel 2880 nautical miles.. best SAR helis (your S92 and the likes) can only do 1/3 of that distance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

i watched it this morning, hence why i asked for update

Sorry to be a pain but could you post a link to it? Had a look there and can't really tell which one is the new one

john boye wrote: »
    Sorry to be a pain but could you post a link to it? Had a look there and can't really tell which one is the new one

i assume this is the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

i assume this is the new one.

Thanks a million

US satilites can detect a heat signal on the Russian plane in Sinia and can't pick up anything on MH370 or MH317 sort of explains a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

US satilites can detect a heat signal on the Russian plane in Sinia and can't pick up anything on MH370 or MH317 sort of explains a lot.
    To 'see' something you have to be looking at it before it happens.
    You can guarantee that the NSA and DoD satellite constellations are in orbit to give close to 24 hr coverage of the Middle East.
    The Indian Ocean and S-E Asia would receive a lot less coverage. And indeed Eastern Ukraine wouldn't have been a location for imagery at the time of the MH17 shoot-down.

Advertisement