Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

i assume this is the new one.

Thanks a lot, good doc, and someone mentioned the Black Box is too old now to get data ?

I don't know AF447 was at the bottom of the atlantic for 2 years and the data was readable, it's stored on SSD - very hardy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

My understanding was that the blackboxes could be reliably read upto 2 years. With 2 years being the minimum amount of time so in realitiy it could be a lot longer depending on the exact condition and environment that they are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

The MH370 search team found an old shipwreck on the ocean floor. Great quality image.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/mh370-pages/updates/operational-update.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Some image alright. Gives hope that if there is something there they'll find it. Provided it's not hidden in some underwater mountain range...
    Underwater search operations
    Weather may continue to impact on search operations but more favourable conditions are currently being experienced.
    Consistent with the undertaking given by the Governments of Australia, Malaysia and the People’s Republic of China in April last year, 120,000 square kilometres will be thoroughly searched. It is anticipated this will be completed around the middle of the year. In the absence of credible new information that leads to the identification of a specific location of the aircraft, Governments have agreed that there will be no further expansion of the search area.
    More than 80,000 square kilometres of the seafloor have been searched so far.
    In the event the aircraft is found and accessible, Australia, Malaysia and the People’s Republic of China have agreed to plans for recovery activities, including securing all the evidence necessary for the accident investigation.

So by the end of the year they'll have either found it or potentially it'll be lost forever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

jimbis wrote: »
    Some image alright. Gives hope that if there is something there they'll find it. Provided it's not hidden in some underwater mountain range...

So by the end of the year they'll have either found it or potentially it'll be lost forever :(

somehow, i dont think they will be allowed to give up until its found. it really is amazing though how its taken this long, i know theres huge areas but is it possible they are looking in the wrong place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

somehow, i dont think they will be allowed to give up until its found. it really is amazing though how its taken this long, i know theres huge areas but is it possible they are looking in the wrong place?

If they knew what the right place was, we'd be long done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

somehow, i dont think they will be allowed to give up until its found

They won't have much choice. The area they're searching (based on a lead) is a tiny fraction of the Indian Ocean. It's simply not feasible to keep going indefinitely without any other leads as to it's possible whereabouts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The Daily Mail are reporting that villagers in Southern Thailand have found debris washed up there along the Thai Indian Ocean coastline which may be aviation related.

I wonder if it is is another piece like the part found washed up in the Indian Ocean island of Réunion last year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3413660/Plane-wreckage-washes-Thailand-beach-amid-reports-missing-airliner-MH370.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Could Emilio Largo be behind this and if he is what is his motives.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Stinicker wrote: »
    The Daily Mail are reporting that villagers in Southern Thailand have found debris washed up there along the Thai Indian Ocean coastline which may be aviation related.

I wonder if it is is another piece like the part found washed up in the Indian Ocean island of Réunion last year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3413660/Plane-wreckage-washes-Thailand-beach-amid-reports-missing-airliner-MH370.html

Being the Daily Mail it could be anything...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/691078099950108673

Suggests it's part of a rocket fairing and not part of a commercial aircraft. Looking at the pictures I'm inclined to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

KoolKid wrote: »
    Being the Daily Mail it could be anything...

Yawn ... Did you actually read what DM posted ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

weisses wrote: »
    Yawn ... Did you actually read what DM posted ?
    I expect he was going on their previous 'reliability'

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-wreckage-idUSKCN0V10SG

A piece of suspected plane wreckage found off the east coast of southern Thailand on Saturday was unlikely to belong to Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 which vanished nearly two years ago.....................
    The location of the debris in Thailand "would appear to be inconsistent with the drift models that appeared when MH370's flaperon was discovered in Reunion last July," said Greg Waldron, Asia Managing Editor at Flightglobal, an industry publication.
    "The markings, engineering, and tooling apparent in this debris strongly suggest that it is aerospace related," said Waldron. "It will need to be carefully examined, however, to determine it's exact origin.".....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Looks like they lost the sonar they were towing over the sea bed :(

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0125/762695-mh370-sonar-probe/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Unsurprisingly, MAS are retiring their last ( surviving ) 777s today; partly to reign-in capacity and partly to sever the unfortunate connection between the airline and the type.

Routes that depended on the 777 are being dropped; Amsterdam will be served by a KLM code-share and Paris will end today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Unsurprisingly, MAS are retiring their last ( surviving ) 777s today; partly to reign-in capacity and partly to sever the unfortunate connection between the airline and the type.

Amsterdam will be served by a KLM code-share and Paris will end today, leaving Heathrow with the A380 as their only Western European destination. Asian routes that relied on the 777 are being dropped or transitioned to the B738.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Paris was operated by an A380 at times (Had a relation on it), but they are also being withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Blut2

From a bit of Googling it looks like Malaysia Airlines carried 17.2m passengers in 2013 and 16.0m in 2014. Are there any figures around for 2015? I'd be curious to see how badly they're hemorrhaging passengers, given all these route cancellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

arubex wrote: »

Routes that depended on the 777 are being dropped; Amsterdam will be served by a KLM code-share and Paris will end today.

I wonder will that effect the price of Europe to KL, I need to fly that route later in the year, I was getting great quotes (400 return), but if there is less competition it might not be good news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Regarding the search itself, I've heard if they find nothing by the summer they will call it off entirely, looking more and more likely, it's a real shame the mystery will most likely never be solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Looks like they lost the sonar they were towing over the sea bed :(

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0125/762695-mh370-sonar-probe/

They have recovered the lost towfish already.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2016/02/10/mh370-search-recovers-sunk-towfish-from-side-of-volcano/

There is also an update on progress on the search in that link as follows
    Less than 35,000 square kilometres of the expanded 120,000 square kilometre priority search zone remains to be fully surveyed and scanned, together with a revisiting of areas where the sea floor was too deep or complex to be adequately checked by the equipment first deployed by the search in 2014.

The deeper, sharper look will be assisted by a more capable synthetic aperture sonar scanning towfish that will be deployed by a PRC vessel later this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Regarding the search itself, I've heard if they find nothing by the summer they will call it off entirely, looking more and more likely, it's a real shame the mystery will most likely never be solved.

David Learmount is reporting pretty much that :- the various countries involved have agreed to finish searching the remaining designated area, and then stop.

http://davidlearmount.com/2016/02/10/mh370-the-search-nears-its-end/

If the plane isn't found by mid 2016, it never will be.And if you'd told me 3 months before it vanished that it was possible for a triple 7 to vanish without trace,apart from one minor fragment of the body, I wouldn't have believed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Alan_P wrote: »

If the plane isn't found by mid 2016, it never will be.And if you'd told me 3 months before it vanished that it was possible for a triple 7 to vanish without trace,apart from one minor fragment of the body, I wouldn't have believed you.

I don't think anyone would have thought it was possible. I'm sure other pieces of the plane will turn up over the next few years but apart from re-confirming what we already know, that the plane is somewhere in the Indian Ocean, they will be of little or no value in answering the big questions. Maybe sometime in the future it will be possible to map the ocean floors by satellite with a resolution high enough to pick up anomalies worth checking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Duiske wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would have thought it was possible.

And years later nothings changed?

I not one bit suprised.

The triumph of the peanut gallery: MH370 and the search for answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

And years later nothings changed?

I not one bit suprised.

The triumph of the peanut gallery: MH370 and the search for answers

he lost me at "plane turned North".. looks like he's just PRing his book trying to look like an outcast of an elite egghead group. No wonder the group pushed him out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

martinsvi wrote: »
    he lost me at "plane turned North".. looks like he's just PRing his book trying to look like an outcast of an elite egghead group. No wonder the group pushed him out

I remember reading some of that groups stuff and they had some good ideas. Jeff Wise seems to have went off the deep end though. Jumped from being sure the plane was in the ocean off Australia to believing that it went north and Putin is behind the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

With the risk of being banned, the people that knows what happened are the people on the radar and awacks in Diago Garcia.
    Has anyone asked them what they seen that night have they records of their observations did anyone ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

With the risk of being banned, the people that knows what happened are the people on the radar and awacks in Diago Garcia.
    Has anyone asked them what they seen that night have they records of their observations did anyone ask them.

I've no knowledge at all on the possibility of diago Garcia or awacs picking up the plane on radar (From what I hear it's highly doubtful). But I have wondered if some government/military may be sitting on information about the plane but are waiting to see if the current search will find it first. To protect whatever technology they're using etc.
    Might be a bit conspiracy theory'ish but I suppose it's my way of hoping we get some answers to this mystery.

Alternative theory needs financial support:

http://www.wired.com/2016/03/pilots-say-know-mh370-need-5-million/

• Advertisement

Yes the US forces on Diego Garcia were involved....however unless they had an AWACS aircraft in the area it wouldn't have done any good. Diego Garcia is 1000's of miles from the disappearance area.
    They are not all-seeing and the USAF doesn't have them randomly looking over empty ocean. Satellites have to be retasked to cover specific areas of interest, the Indian Ocean west of Indonesia isnt one of these.

Advertisement