Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Trump supported to the end Madison Cawthorn failed to win the nomination in North Carolina for the position as the R nominee for North Carolina’s 11th congressional district. Yet another blow to Trump's so called power to be king maker yet again; it looks like MAGA (like the tea party movement earlier) has taken on it's own life out of the control of the people who started it yet again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Conversely, his pick in Philadelphia won the primary and was, unsurprisingly, someone who fought the 2020 election results. Cawthorns chances were probably nuked by his tattle about GOP coke orgies and good old fashioned homophobia over some of his personal stories

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

He's quite conservative with his nominations, generally waits until it looks like they are safe and does his thing.

The Vance in Ohio and Oz in Pennsylvania are rare exceptions. It got Vance over the line although its much messier with Oz.

For those unfamiliar , its been a three way battle between McCormick a billionaire who is backed by old school GOP and has also got Steven Miller and Hope Hicks working for him, Kathy Burnette who got hot online but bombed on the day of voting backed by the terminally online crew e.g Posibec, Cernovich and probable winner OZ who Trump endorsed due to liking him personally and seeing similar traits with him such as a reality tv background and been pretty liberal before he ran for GOP office.

It got really ugly in the last few weeks , a lot of anger with Trump endorsing Oz and some of the oppo research dropped on him was pretty xenophobic focusing on his Turkish/Muslim background. Barnette got her social media history distorted as supposedly she liked Black lives Matter and Obama obvious sins for the GOP.

Oz should crawl over the line, but looking from afar its clear that yes Trump got voters out for him, but a sizable Maga base told supreme leader to go **** himself and voted Barnette while those not as enamored with Trump voted for Mc Cormack.

He still has power as the Vance endorsement proved, but his wings have clearly been clipped somewhat.

Next primary of note is Georgia next tuesday where Brian Kemp who Trump despises for not doing enough to stop the steal (LOL) and David Perdue who is literally running on nothing bar "Stop the steal" & "Trump is God" .

Kemp is doing well with polling and Fox have him at 60%,,,plenty of GOP establishment have rocked up to support him such as Chris Christie and most notably Mike Pence which won't have escaped Trump's attention.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1527064610414772224?cxt=HHwWgIC-zYTLnLEqAAAA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Is the result in yet on whether Oz or McCormick won the election or is the counting of postal ballots still in progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

its too close to call and because it’s so bloody close it’ll be going to a recount under Pennsylvania law.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Speaking under the knowledge most here are not MAGA Ultras, who is the preferred, saner candidate in this race?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

None of them are great really.

They all laid down at the feet of the Glorious leader.

Oz is just a bit "off" , what with his TV medical quackery general fruit-cakery. Trump's sole interest in him is that he is a "celebrity" so Trump thinks that automatically make him special.

McCormick is a more garden variety GOP type but he has played the Trump card pretty hard in recent times so wouldn't act as any kind of brake against whatever nonsense Trump et all wanted to get up to.

I know the postal vote is an issue [big for some] in the election just hope it wont be used by the candidates themselves as an excuse for the voters not giving them the benefit of the ballot or fall [deliberately or otherwise] for the Trump postal-vote rabbit-hole. I saw a short interview this afternoon on CNN of the third candidate and it [to me] seemed like a train-wreck. The interviewer asked her about some comments of hers from the past indicating a bias against two sections of US society and her rebuttal was to attack the media and accuse it of misusing and misrepresenting the contents of her comments, that her opinions and stance on the particular issues had changed. She didn't state that the media misrepresenting the contents of her posts was CNN, it was the media in general.

I expect Trump to accuse the state official of wrongdoing in overseeing the count if Dr Oz loses the race and to make calls for a recount if its close [either way] for Dr Oz oh the grounds of "count errors". I don't see Trump resisting either the temptation to speak/broadcast to the media on that point regardless of the wishes of his camp and the candidates not to give the media a quote on the result.

I'd have to dive deep into the candidates background for at least a decade [maybe even prior to the availability of Twitter and other public sites] to get a good reading of where they STOOD and STAND on issues involving sections of US voters at personal levels. As politics is the issue, sanity of the candidates doesn't seem to count where their electoral comments and statements are concerned, as soundbites seem to get the votes in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trump has been whining , but none of the candidates have made any mention of any of his usual guff.

They are saying fairly reasonable things like "When all the votes are counted I'm confident that I'll win".

Now , it remains to be seen if Oz in particular stays like that if his current ~1k vote lead was to disappear in a recount..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Well..

I think it's generally viewed the "Dr Oz" would be the weaker candidate in the head to head next November - The attack ad's write themselves really.

For a start he's not from Pennsylvania and aside from going to College at Penn State for a few years 30+ years ago has never lived there - His "address" for the Primaries is his sisters house.

So I guess the Democrats would probably be happy with a messy divisive re-count with all kinds of name calling and Trumpian nonsense followed by Dr Oz limping over the line having pissed off most of the party apparatus in the State.

McCormick is a billionaire who was responsible for shipping plenty of jobs to China something which his opponent Fetterman should have a lot of fun with.

Oz is snake oil salesman but he clearly has charisma and will have the full backing of Trump and the establishment Republicans. I think he will look at Youngkin in Virginia, yes keep Trump happy but try and keep him at arm's distance.

Oz is favorite simply because it could be a red wave, but the worry for him is the governor they have chosen for the same state is a lunatic who could drag down the whole GOP ticket in that state.

I'm left with relying mostly on CNN for a regular info boost as a reasonably safe source [though I know it does have a bias, in so far as it is the complete opposite of Fox "news"]. I use snippets from WaPo and The NY Times as well as Politico. Today/tonight CNN is reporting that Mike Pence is campaigning in Georgia for Brian Kemp - which has excited Trump into commenting that MP is doing so to seek relevance. Trump has reportedly gone after Brad Raffensperger again as well.

Thing is: is there a section of the GOP using Kemp to hit back at Trump and weaken his grip on its voters? If there is, does it include Senator McConnel?

Chris Christie, George Bush and a lot of the GOP establishment have rocked up behind Kemp.

Kemp if you are a Republican has governed quite conservatively, passed a restrictive abortion bill, loosened gun laws, very pro big business and also had a much more laisses faire attitude to covid than Trump who actually at the time criticized him for not locking down. He also passed a restrictive voting bill which was cheered by pretty much every GOP person bar Trump who obviously said it did not go far enough.

His numbers are solid enough in Georgia so can understand the GOP wanting him to win and their is still a lot of bitterness towards Trump for losing the two Georgia senate seats in 2021 which was mainly due to Trump telling people that voting doesn't matter and Perdue running a wretched campaign where he literally had nothing to say bar "MAGA" .

Its all very bizarre, Perdue has spent only a few million of his personal savings on this campaign which is pennies for him and only agreed to run because Trump pestered him into doing it and obviously his ego at the time got the best of him. From all accounts he has eased up in the last week or two also despite been 30 points down in the polls.

Their is also the even more bizarre sub plot of some in the middle who may even lean towards the Dem in November favoring Kemp because they have watched Perdue debase himself twice for Trump and don't want to take a chance in him winning in November even if he would be the easier candidate for Stacy Abrams to beat.

In amusing news Mo Brooks who had his endorsement from Trump rescinded because he slightly eased up on the "stop the steal" drivel has actually surged somewhat since then. Trump called Mo "woke" at the time which is hilarious as Mo is anything but that, the Dem equivalent would be an AOC primary challenger calling her a "white supremacist.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/22/trump-mo-brooks-alabama-senate-00034249

Pence according to reports for a while is running no matter if Trump does in 2024 and he knows rocking up for Kemp will go down poorly with Trump. He's never going to go all out attack on Trump but if he has a chance to bait Trump he will.

He's probably the only big hitter that is certain to run if Trump does, people like Hailey and RDS I dunno if they want the hassle of dealing with Trump on the debate stage but neither of those 2 have had to deal with lunatics planning to hang you either because Trump lost in 2020. 😕

Now it gets interesting - McCormick submitted a lawsuit seeking to have certain mail-in ballots included in the count - The ones in question are ones that were "undated" by the voter which the Georgia court have recently said should be included because even though the voter didn't date them they'd have both a postmark and they are all dated/stamped on receipt so none of them could be "late".

Trump will no doubt weigh in again further spreading doubt among Georgia republicans about the value of their votes..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Will they even debate Trump should he decide to run?

Its a great question.

And also the issue is how hard can you go after Trump as even if you win you will need to keep him happy as a chance he could threaten running as an independent out of spite which would hand the presidency to the Dems. I can understand the likes of Hailey and RDS who are young thinking its not worth the hassle.

Their is a few Republicans who have zero chance of winning such as Larry Hogan who is probably salivating at the thought of going after Trump on the debate stage though.

• Advertisement

The more of them that run , the easier it will be for Trump - That was a large part of his 2016 Primary win.

There were so many of them running voters couldn't coalesce around a competitor to him.

If there is a segment of the GOP serious about keeping him out , they need to pick one maybe two people and lock in behind them. If there are ~10 randomers running , it's a cake walk for Trump as he has ~30% minimum absolutely nailed on in support of him.

And Pence is absolutely categorically not that person , he is the absolute personification of an empty suit.

I have read articles about blue state governors like Larry Hogan and Chris Sunanu running along with Mitt Romney. All three of those are vocally anti Trump and while the media can dream about them winning a primary their is zero chance of anyone running on a strong anti Trump campaign winning.

Realistically if you are a GOP donor and want Trump gone, best case scenario is to get behind a DeSantis and console yourself with the fact he won't spend all his time tweeting rubbish.

I'd agree - The strategy is not a "anti-Trump" one but simply "Not Trump".

Let him rail about Stolen elections ad infinitum and just focus on actual real stuff like Jobs and the Economy etc.

Whilst not saying it out loud , the position should be "Do you want a lunatic who will only be concerned with getting revenge on everyone that wronged him or do you want someone working on stuff that impacts your life?"

Not that I think anyone in the GOP actually gives a damn about the average voter , but that strategy is the only one that has a chance at being a differentiator.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If the ones that do not want Trump were serious, they could do a Ross Perot and suck votes from the Republicans if they got the right candidate. A vote of 5% would make all the difference, but they need to take those votes from Trump rather that the Dems.

They might not want Trump , but they absolutely don't want a Democrat.

Trump won't win an Election is a fair fight , but if the result from 2020 was repeated in 2024 the GOP have done enough work (and are doing more in 2022) to ensure that results like Pennsylvania , Arizona and Georgia would be flipped to Trump regardless of the actual result.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Bush crowd do not want Trump, and there are plenty of old school GOP people do not want Trump. It is to the correct candidate to split the vote - that will be the trick. The correct candidate should aim to win the Primaries.

So if the above was the GOP scenario in order to foul up Trump's hope of becoming the 47th, wouldn't it be better for them to have Pence as one of the candidates [especially if they wanted DeSantis to be the actual GOP presidential candidate in 2024 - a mere 18 months away] to play with Trump's mind? The notion of Trump shouting at Pence across the media would have to be unsettling for the Trump family and his staffers.

The Bush camp definitely don't want Trump , but not to the extent that they would give the White House to a Democrat for another 4 years just to keep Trump out.

The time for the GOP to stop Trump is during the primary and "splitting the vote" in a FPTP Primary election is exactly the worst thing to do - That's what happened in 2016 when they had more than dozen people running.

Trump only got above 50% of the vote in the final few rounds when it was down to just Cruz and Kasich running against him- But the damage was already done long before then as he had all the momentum - He was winning states with 25/30% of the total vote early on.

Before the primaries start, they need to pick a candidate and convince all the others to sit 2024 out and give whoever it is a free run at Trump.

If Trump keeps taking all things as personal from any other GOP personality who looks like being a possible candidate, will his actions be enough to persuade actual GOP voters it would be better to vote for a different GOP personality as a candidate in order to defeat Biden, who may appear to be somewhat of a wartime president. I actually don't see Biden going for a second term due to his age as he's not of the Trump egotistic class but I could be wrong. I don't know how the electorate would take to the Dems running a woman for the 47th and how much that would be a gift for whomever the GOP sent forward.

• Advertisement

Jeb loves RDS for what its worth.

The Bush brigade loath Trump but they will always back him over a Dem sadly. Trump for all his populist bluster didn't govern that differently than them unfortunately. The tax cuts for example were adored by all the "moderate" GOP folks for example. Ultimately the problem the "establishment " GOP have with Trump is they think he is a moron rather than his policies. Someone like Mitch for example who loves reading books would loath been in his presence unless their was something in it for him.

I don't really see how you beat Trump at all, ideally all get behind one candidate and all the also rans drop out early, but the egos that will be running and they will all have massive war chests so they will all overstay their welcome.

Imagine telling Cruz to drop out early for example to rally behind someone to beat Trump?😂

Any plan to beat Trump has sounded like West wing fan fiction sadly.

I had hoped he would have got distracted with truth social or ideally legally not be allowed to run , but "pigs flying " etc.

If you want to go down a dark road, maybe health reasons, he looked in terrible shape in his Piers Morgan interview. He definitely lost a good amount of weight last year, but sadly I suspect he is one of those people when it comes to weight it doesn't take much for him to lose discipline and put it back on.

Advertisement