Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭BK5

Just visited the Christmas FM website and the normal Christmas FM and Christmas Classics options are a bit too full on for the middle of May alright but the Christmas Classical option is just lovely and you could easily have it on in the background as you go about your day. It lifts the spirits 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭DvB

It's classical and carols I'd listen to out of season, the classics one is way too full on for me outside of Christmas FM going live.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I had the classical one on ha. I thought it would be classical music with a Christmas feel but that I wouldn't know but the fifteen or so mins I put on I knew them all. It's something I will definitely revisit closer to the season though because it was excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Morning all

Bit of dull and blustery start here however is to improve as the day goes on.

Here's hoping Tuesday flys by as quickly as Monday did!

• Advertisement

To be fair I can only listen in small doses, then when closer to the season I go full on Christmas FM, its unusual to have gotten so many well known ones together too on classical & carols, a lot of the time there are some real abstract ones played. Nice to dip in & out of though if in the need of spirits being lifted.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'm not sure I could do Christmas music outside of the actual Christmas season. I like to hold off and then go hell for leather for the last 6 weeks of the year! I must remember the classical Christmas FM now though as kind of about half way through December, I get a bit fed up of the actual Christmas FM playlist. Last year, they played "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" about eleventy billion times - I've never hated a song so much 😋

Unfortunately seems to be one song each year that gets played to death.

Dolly Parton won that award for me last year... christ it really started to grate on me, I nearly crashed the car once on an early morning drive to work as it was played for what seemed like the umpteenth time. It finally started to get played less towards the end of the run, but had it not I genuinely think I'd have left the radio on a different channel.

Why certain songs get so much airtime each year is beyond me, its like they randomly pick some song & decide to play it to death 😁

Post edited by DvB on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I said it last year. They need to go back to the original format when they first started.

Now all you hear is the same 10-15 songs if even that over and over.

Back when it started you'd have all the usual hits with a load of crooners. Rat Pack, Sinatra etc... (what they now play on classics) and then beauts like In Dulci Jubilo from the carols station. Even stuff like this was played in between the modern day classics.

If they merged all three together at least you could have more variation in the playlist.

I remember people always asking for certain songs but you'd only hear them 2 - 3 times a day because the playlist was bigger.

Now you'll hear the same song at least 2 times or even more an hour every day, and with such a short playlist it does get repetitive.

Mind you I never turned it off 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,193 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We're into the 220's!

Also, providing everything goes according to plan. It's 100 days to the Brown Thomas Christmas Shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I was in Kildare Village today. I have to say that prices are much higher than they used to be but I suppose that's how everything is going at the moment. I did pick up some nice Rituals sets and some Molton Brown sets, some of which will be put away as Christmas presents. At this stage my OH only laughs and carries the bags for me 😂😂. The weather was ok and we actually had a nice day out.

Oh no I'll be singing that in my head now for days! I drive my wife mad singing it for days whenever it gets into my head 😂

That first track on the video for me is pure Christmas. I'd love for stations to play stuff like that.

Morning all

Happy hump day!

Found out yesterday that wouldn't be back to the office till September at the earliest. Something about IT delays as since new company took over and needing to upgrade office equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Are you happy about that or would you be happy to return? I don't think we'll ever be more than 2 days in the office and I'm fine with that but would prefer 100% remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

I think I had two days WFH over the entire pandemic. My office is within a 15-20 min commute and many people worked from home so it was nice an quiet.

I am holding off the Christmas tunes till post summer. I will start with the classical and work my way up to the normal. I have to agree with the lack of variety but understand that when people donate they want to hear a song.

My 2.5 year old was belting out the hippo song for months, she's the cutest kid in the world (to us) but there came a point where I wanted to show her some youtube (nature is metal) videos of what a real hippo is like just to stop the singing.

Am happy to WFH, it suits me down to the ground so not in any rush back to the office.

My daughter shares the same name as one of the hippos in Dublin zoo so she love that song and asked it in car till about Paddy's Day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Hey everyone. Sorry I haven't been on here much lately. No reason really other than life being really busy (in both good and bad ways). Not feeling very festive just now but I'm sure I'll get back to "normal" soon 😉

Morning all

Happy Thursday.

Sun shinning at the minute and forecast is for a hot and sunny weekend.

@Caranica think we are in the same boat at the minute.

• Advertisement

I note that the vast majority of regulars appear to be feeling far from festive at the moment, which realistically is what should be the case given its May 🤣 but has anyone had any hankerings towards christmas or he build up yet?

I suspect with the last 2 years being what they were with restrictions etc the year became more focused as there was such uncertainty around so many things, but with life more or less returning to normal (on speed in my case!!) I suspect Christmas and the feelings associated with it (including hankerings) will be condensed back into a more traditional timeframe.

Though I did order my first Christmas present yesterday, which is the same week I ordered my first one last year too, so that's one tradition I've upheld anyway 😉

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

No hankerings here at all. We've moved house this year to the other side of the country so I actually don't know what our Christmas will be like this year. I am looking forward to having a bigger living room to decroate - we have a bay window in the living room that will be perfect for the Christmas tree 😁

We normally have Christmas dinner at my parent''s house and see all the family there but there won't be room for us to stay over which leaves us in a bit of a conundrum. Sure I will keep an eye on hotels and see what happens :)

Like many, I'm just too busy at the minute to have any capacity to think about Christmas things. I know though that it come back in full force once kids start back to school, evenings draw in and the weather turns cooler again.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that where we were house hunting a few years ago, that picturing where the main Christmas tree would go, wasn't a consideration!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Hi all. I haven't really been on here much in the last while either. I've been checking in, but not spending too long on boards in general lately. Like everyone else it seems, we're flat out in work, not quite DvB levels of busyness though. I don't think I could handle that. All the images on Boards are now blocked on my work PC, so I don't tend to look at it too much while working and forget about it in the evening.

My Christmas vibes are also at their lowest this time of year. I think I usually start to feel them around late August/early September and they continue after Christmas until February or so, or even longer during lockdowns! I don't tend to search our Chrismtassy things in between, but if I see or hear something unexpected, I do still get that little magically buzz.

Think we are all the same at the minute. Similarly get a little kick out of stumbling across a Christmas special on the TV or such like.

Always a chance of one on Gold or Dave or one of those channels, they seem to embrace the Christmas in summer thing.

Haven't stumbled upon Home Alone on Film 4 in awhile, usually gets a monthly outing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Usually during the summer though, but they never show it in the run up to Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭BK5

Just half watched a Christmas episode of Married with Children about an hour ago, that show would not get made today 😉

Even though we are all not feeling all Christmassy at the moment there is one thing that I noticed with all people that love Christmas is that they have a cheery outlook on life and I think we all call in here all year round for the positivity and friendliness that the Christmas forum gives us.

I'd rather be a Elf than a Bah Humbug anytime!

• Advertisement

Every time I watch Modern Family I always think of Al Bundy 😂

Advertisement