Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Morning all

Can't believe it is Thursday already, these short weeks are making time go even quicker!

Bit overcast here however nice and warm. Hopefully it stays dry and plan to get out for a walk a lunch time. The walking has dropped over lately as been so busy so want to get back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭DvB

As I'm WFH for the first time in a good while today and I've finished all my zoom/teams meetings for the day decided to stick on Christmas FM classical in the background, but I have to put my hands up & say that I'm just not feeling it at all, which is unusual for me as I listen in to the classical throughout the year, but for whatever reason its just not lifting my spirits at all today. Hadn't listened in to it for a good few weeks now either so a little surprised by that.

Very little in the way of christmas cravings so far this year.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

It's been a very busy couple of weeks for me - as well as covering for a colleague who is on leave I'm tying up loose ends before I do a handover to my colleagues. I'm going on leave for a few months as I'm having hip surgery on 16th so by the time I get back into the office the BT Christmas shop will be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭BK5

Don't worry @DvB, something will click one day and you'll be back in the Christmas spirit in a flash, you're one of the pillars of this thread and you'll get the tingle by July/August 👍️

Very best of luck with the surgery @Cork Lass.

• Advertisement

Morning all

Friday, yay!! :)

@DvB- I feel you, not any Christmas spirit at the minute either. However I think it's good to 'turn off' for awhile as it makes all that much better when it inevitably comes roaring back!

@Cork Lass best of luck with the surgery. Good timing, as you'll back up and flying around when Christmas season kicks off.

Have a good day folks, looking forward to turning laptop off and having a couple of days off. Nothing major planed so hopefully have a relaxing enough weekend.

To be fair I was almost laughing writing that last post, it is the month of May after all, I shouldn't really be surprised at not being into some classical christmas tunes given its summertime (no arguments on that please folks, I use the traditional old school seasonal calendar😀) so i listened to the latest Merry Britsmas podcast (his first since Christmas in fact) which did the job nicely in keeping me entertained whilst I closed out my workday.

Looking forward to wrapping up here later today, heading to see Rovers tonight with the kids & will crack open a bottle of wine or a beer or 2 tomorrow evening to unwind a little... have the last few episodes of Ozark to watch too so hopefully the weekend goes to plan!

Have a good one y'all!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Happy Friday, All! Been a long week in spite of the Bank Holiday, I found! We had the vomiting bug so that's probably why it felt like the week dragged! Looking forward to a chilled out weekend of taxi-ing the kids to and fro to various sporting activities 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

TGIF! I've not got anything exciting planned for the weekend but how is it that 4 day weeks can sometimes feel longer than the normal 5 days.

I've been getting really into Lego because I've been watching Lego masters and I can see two of their Christmas sets are still up for sale on the website. I'm very tempted so maybe next payday I'll be treating myself.

Do it! I got Mr. CL one of the Christmas sets & himself & the kids had such fun putting it together & I can't wait to take it down next year & add it to our Christmas Village 😁 I'm definitely going to make it a tradition now every year. I got the idea of someone on here...possibly @TRS30...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Absolutely, this week was like a month. Definitely get the Lego - you'll have it for years and it will probably cost a fortune coming up to Christmas.

Sounds familiar alright. Lego is very popular in our house with all three Elves and Granddad who has a serious collection of Lego technic at this stage.

So much for the weekend off, lads in the office way behind on the drawings due to be issued today so its a weekend of work instead... its getting beyond a joke now with the hours being put in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh no, DvB! 😟

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭BK5

Hope everyone had a great weekend, that's the best day weather wise of the year so far.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I spent most of the mid-morning/afternoon out the back garden, reading, until it clouded over about 2ish. Then I got inside to practise my piano scales and even did a few pages of my tedious music theory workbook,

Had a few days off last week, and dinners included McDonalds, a cheeky spice bag from the chinese and an Indian last night. That's me done eating now until the June bank holiday. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

Checking back in to see how everyone is. Not feeling entirely Christmassy either @DvB and I feel your pain working weekends, can't remember the last weekend I didnt at least do one day.

We are dreaming of buying a home at the moment and each property we view I am picturing what Christmas would be like in it.

Morning all

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. After the lovely weather yesterday a dull and cooler start to the day here. Full 5 day week for me as well, though I wouldn't complain as know other are having it worse.

A Christmas themed jigsaw for the folks arrived on Friday evening. It was on offer so picked it up. First Christmas present done!! 😂

Hectic weekend, but we ended up having a nice afternoon yesterday. Went to St. Catherines park and had a lovely walk, then we had a coffee at the market there (& got some food for the kids) and we sat & listened to a local band kill a few covers as they sang live there.... I admired their confidence to sing live but even being gracious, they were murdering the stuff, but credit where its due, at least they were out doing their thing.

We had a chat about Christmas too whilst we were sat having our coffee's, as we're away on holidays for this coming christmas it already has an unusual feel to it as all our focus is the holiday & the wedding we're going there for, in a way its really messed up the balance of the year as normally we'd have a summer break to look forward to, but with the holiday costing as much as it is theres no way we can do anything on top of that... suspect the build up to christmas will be unusual too seeing as we wont be here for it or new years... Anyway, its a change, and change is good for the soul... I suspect we'll have a ball on holiday & then be raring for a traditional stay at home christmas for 2023.

Morning All,

Hope all had a nice weekend! Weather was fab yesterday! Hoping for more of the same next weekend as we are off to Centre Parcs en masse - there's 14 of us going - so really looking forward to it!

• Advertisement

I know it's pre the event so it all speculation and wondering how it is going to pan out. However we had a 'first time' Christmas just gone with just the 5 of us on Christmas Day and then 4 of us till nearly new years (wife isolating in attic). Didn't see any family or friends from 23rd Dec till after New Years.

It was only after, when i had some time to think about it that I took the positives from it and while obviously I missed certain things, it also presented the opportunity to do other things (stay in pjs, play games with the kids and watch movies for a week- didn't leave the house!) that I might never get to do again.

I know it's slight different that you know your Christmas will be different, were as ours was thrust apron us last minute, as you said you'll have a great time and like me will be looking forward all the more to a more traditional Christmas next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I was reading the first few pages of Christmas eve traditions thread and it got me thinking, we're 5 months into the year, another 5 months from now, it's almost Halloween, which means Christmas season.

Crazy out it feels like the years only starting.

It's mad isn't it! One of the kids got a note home about a school tour in June & part of me was like oh grand, that's about two months away! It's three weeks! How is that possible?

Noooooooooo! I'm not ready to think about that yet!

Weeks of long bright evenings ahead so... love it. As much as I love Christmas & the build up, I love summertime & the longer brighter days too, if we get anything like decent weather its great to be able to get out & about & relax out the back garden etc. rather than being stuck indoors watching TV which we get planty of time to do come October.

This 100%. Love long warm summer evening, getting out with the kids after work to the green to play around or having dinner in the garden etc.

Everyone is happier when the sun is shinning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Have to say I'm getting the Christmas vibes today with the weather. Looking out now it could pass for a December day if it wasn't as bright. Might even have to try DvB's fabled classical Christmas for a few minutes 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Stuck it on there. The tracks they played were proper full on Christmas classics (as in stuff you would recognise straight away). Thought it wouldn't be as full on ha.

Advertisement