Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Sorry to hear that @Loughc - it's really tough when a young child is sick never mind having a heavy workload at the same time. They do bounce back quickly enough though so hopefully it will pass and ye'll be back to normal soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭BK5

Hope you had an easier day of it @Loughc today and the wee man is feeling better, hated when the kids were sick when they were young.

Having a few beers, watching the fight, hope everyone is having a good weekend, cheers! 🍺

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Hope the wee one is better Loughc?

Had a weekend of kids parties and work. Ate my weight in chocolate. Was chatting with the other parents to see who was doing what this Christmas as we had some of them over last Christmas. Looks like they are all going to their home countries so it will be just our family and my folks who will fly in. Nice and chilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Happy Monday, a.k.a Rudolph Day.

Hope all had a good weekend. Good to hear from your @Loughc, sorry to hear little lad is poorly, can be draining on top of everything else however they are troopers and usually bounce back quickly.

May is on the horizon, summer is in the air, the kids starting back their last term and in 8 short weeks will be on their summer holidays. Little lad was talking about Christmas presents in the car this morning (hot wheels is the flavor of the month).

Feeling quite chirpy this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Back in the office this morning after being off since good Friday, smothering with another headcold (tested, its not covid!) which I put down to finally having some time to relax & sods law!! Had checked in here a couple of times but hate posting from my phone so said I'd leave it until I was back at a pc.

Hope everyone is over their own illnesses (or associated children's illnesses) mentioned on here the last couple of weeks.

I feel your pain on the work situation @Loughc mine is off the charts and is likely to be like this for the next few months too unfortunately, it just seems to have gone crazy out there with expectations being impossible to manage into the bargain. But in saying that we need to remind ourselves that we're only one person and can only achieve so much at any given time. And I have to admit, it was nice to be reminded that this coming weekend is a bank holiday one too!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭jellybear

Saw one of these this morning and thought of you all! Was driving so this google pic will have to do 😄

Just home from a trip to Newbridge farm. We were the only ones there...it was lovely!😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Back in the office after being out since last Tuesday! Everyone recovered from Covid TG & we were able to have a small outdoors party for our now 2 year old! Where have those two years gone?! Can't believe that the kids are on the last term of school already! The school year really has flown by!

Hope the baba has recovered @Loughc, it's truly awful when they get a vomiting bug, especially when they can't tell you how they feel, the poor things! Hopefully neither you or Mrs. Loughc caught it either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭tscul32

My 10yo announced that he only has 6 more Mondays in 4th class😱😱

Then I realised the teens are off in just a few weeks😱😱😱😱

On the plus side, the weather is definitely getting better. I just put all my winter jumpers away (so if it snows next week that's probably my fault) and took out the spring clothes.

Since we didn't get the house we wanted we've now started lots of small jobs on the house we do have. Bought new sofas at the weekend and have tons of painting to do. Sorting out the garden for the summer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

We've just tidied up the garden and put out the summer furniture etc. Hopefully we've not jinxed it 🤞

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I know who I'm blaming now if there is an unseasonable cold snap in the coming days 😂

• Advertisement

Morning all. Another nice start here, could get use to this good weather!

@tscul32 sorry to hear about the house. Made a start on our garden the last couple of weekends, still lots to do, OH keeps coming up with new ideas 😂

Have a great Tuesday guys.

Read somewhere over the weekend that we're due a mini heat wave in the next few weeks, wouldn't say no to that TBH. It was great having the good weather for our few days off last week too, it makes such a difference.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

How was the few days away? North of England wasn't it, haven't been in that neck of the woods in years. How things up there these days?

Done up the back garden last year, new decking and patio areas. Going to finish the middle bit so to speak with artificial grass, can't wait to get it finally done.

Yeah, we were over visiting some of my wife's family in Yorkshire. Weather was great the whole time we were there too. TBH they've been decimated with covid over there with loads of small shops/businesses/cafes etc being forced to close so its a bit grim & run down looking these days. People still very friendly though.

The only negative on the trip was the Airport experiences. Flew through security in T1 in Dublin & thought all looked good, but after getting through duty free the departures area was a mess. People crammed in everywhere, insufficient seating so people sat on the floor blocking walkways etc. escalators not working, bins overflowing, spillages left untouched, empty glasses & cups left on tables to pile up, it really was embarrassing to see our main airport looking so bad. Leeds Bradford wasn't much better (a real lack of seating areas there at the best of times) and nowhere for people to go after getting through security, and with our flight delayed that just made the wait worse. The one thing that surprised me is that none of us caught covid again from either airport as both were so crammed with people that space was very much at a premium.

Have heard something similar from work colleagues and friends who have been over the last couple of years. With Covid and Brexit, a lot of high street have shops closed etc and as you said looks a bit grim. Hopefully things will improve, as are great people by and large.

We are going aboard on the ferry this year to France. First time so be interesting to see how it goes. I have a fear of flying with young kids (youngest is 3 now so not too bad) and them having a meltdown on the plane etc however hearing the horror stories about the airport is making me think we made the right decision. Hopefully things will improve before the main holiday season kicks off!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

No joke there is due to be a cold snap this bank holiday weekend. Experts are expecting a colder than average may.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

That article I read didn't stay accurate for long so 😆

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Give it a day or two and it’ll be right again 😂

• Advertisement

Here at the minute:

Sun + no wind= warm

Shade + wind= cold

YES, that's exactly what the weather has been like around my way for the last while!!

Was looking through Facebook yesterday and there is a group called Christmas Everyday I think and some Americans were asking each other if they were going to decorate the house for Christmas in July!

In fairness most weren't as they decorate the house for the 4th of July, but a few wrote in saying their Christmas decorations were still up.

I never quite get the whole OTT leaving decorations up way beyond the season myself. For me it would dilute the whole christmas experience.

Funnily enough, we were just debating whether to bother putting the full regalia up this year seeing as we'll be away from Christmas Eve until Jan 5th.

I reckon we'll decorate the living room but not bother with the rest of the house, or the external lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

There’s a few groups I follow and the majority would keep a few items up all year round 🤶🎅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭jellybear

Spent a bit of time tidying out wardrobes yesterday...we're hoping to move our toddler to a different room before baby arrives. I've come to the conclusion that we have WAY too many Christmas decorations. Will have to consider donating some this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Ha, but everyone can see your external lights they have to go up, just put on a timer if your away

• Advertisement

DvB isn't putting up Frosty??! 😂😂

Advertisement