Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

@eagle eye Let it go Buddy. This obsessiveness with if I've had a past username on Boards does you no credit

• Registered Users Posts: 37,980 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Detroit Lions will be featured in this years Hard Knocks.

A little bit meh I guess, though their coach seemed interesting.

Detroit Lions to be featured in 'Hard Knocks' for 2022 training camp, HBO and NFL Films announce (espn.com)

Devante Adams and Tyreek Hill have looked like two of the best receivers in the league over the past few years. We have to remember though that they were the favourite receivers for two great QB's.

Rodgers lost Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson over the years and they didn't do much after leaving.

Brady lost Deoin Branch and Wes Welker and neither did much.

Jimmy Graham was a superstar with Drew Brees but fell off a cliff when he left the Saints.

It'll be interesting to see how Adams and Hill do without their All-pro QB'S.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

@eagle eye You need to be honest with yourself first. When you do that we can move on. I know its hard and a big step to take but when you're ready to take it I'll be there to support you. Remember no Eagle soars to high if it soars on its own wings. Take care my friend

• Advertisement

Just so you know there's a guy called nedsnotdead on boards.ie. You've probably never heard of him though. 😁

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

@eagle eye @Whatdoesitmatter Enough of this take it to PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The list of people who match productivity with a new team is fairly small. Age is one thing but familiarity with a system/QB really does matter a lot in the NFL. We always get excited when a player hits a new team, but the reality is they rarely live up to previous highs. Especially when you're moving from a HOF QB to a middle of the pack QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

Other players on a new team will hurt them as well. Hunter will demand a bigger target share than MVS or Tonyan. Not sure it is as applicable for Adams/Hill but a lot of big trades are made after a period of better than usual success. Things come together for a player and they naturally drift to their usual level over time (which may still be pretty high but not always as high as when they were traded).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I could see both the Adams and Hill trades as potential lose/lose situations for all teams involved.

As noted above, they likely won't be as successful in their new teams and given how key they each were to their former team's offense their replacements are unlikely to be as successful, with a decent chance of their replacements being complete busts.

Only winners will be the players who signed their big deals and given their age lower stats won't be the end of the world for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭cosatron

One fascinating stat under matt le fluers scheme is that the packers are 8-0 when Adams was injured as Rodgers had no choice but to spray it about. Another instance where this good be a win win for the packers was the last drive against the 49ers, Rodgers went to Adams on each play and went 3 and 0 and ignored a wide open lazard for an easy first down

Huge difference in scheming around a missing player for a few games - it is tough for defenses to plan around their tendencies - but when they are playing a group of players every week they can plan and the team runs out of surprises.

Adams and Hill are so good that defenses can devote significant resources to them and they can still make them wrong. For the first 49ers v GB game last season they were obviously trying to stop Adams yet he had 12 receptions, the next highest Packer had 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bruce Arians is retiring from coaching and heading to the Bucs' front office, Todd Bowles takes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Overtime rules changed in playoffs. Both teams get a possession. If the score is 0-0, 3-3, 7-7, 8-8 after each have a possession then sudden death.

Changes the dynamic in interesting ways. There's a case to be made for receiving first rather than possessing as you 'know what you have to do'. Though the fact that the third possession will be sudden death will probably still mean teams will receive. The most fun scenario will be if team A scores 7, then team B scores a touchdown. Will Team B go for a 2 point conversion?

Though sods law will probably mean the next 20 years of play-offs won't have an OT game.

Arians health is most likely the reason for that. Delighted for Bowles, I think he's a great coach and will do very well there. He foolishly took an opportunity with the toxic Jets a few years back. I pity any coach that takes a chance with the Jets, it can set your career back.

That whole thing is very strange. Rumours of issues between Brady and Arians as Brady announces that he is leaving the Bucs (never using the word retirement). Arians retires either just before or just after Brady announces he's coming back (after the Glazers had him in Old Trafford). Arians claims that he chose to retire to help Bowles when if true he could have left Bowles with a much stronger team by retiring a season earlier. Absolutely no word that Brady is unhappy with coming out of retirement and his HC leaving. Really stinks that either Brady got the Glazers to push Arians into the front office or Arians decided he'd rather move to a cushy job in the front office rather than deal with his issues and politics with Brady.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

Sounds like people trying to make up a story

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

My thoughts were that Brady was asked to do one more year to ease the HC transition. Could be wrong though

Brady only has one more year on his contract and the Bucs said they weren't trading him even when 'retired' without the other team paying a load of picks. If Brady plays another year after this coming season I very much doubt it'll be with the Bucs.

No one really knows aside from Brady and Arians themselves but the story they're telling doesn't match the actions of those involved.

• Advertisement

Need to see the details of the contract to see how much salary this really is taking up but they're going for more star power while letting depth go out the door. Surely they can't continue to be lucky when it comes to injuries.

Dolphins and Patriots seem one of the more common inter-divisional switches, Plenty of player overlap between both of them, Welker obviously the most famous trade

There hasn't been that many between them. Belichick loves this one for sure though, he's praised him in interviews many times.

"He's got a very, very good skill set," Belichick said of Parker.

"He's a big athlete that runs well, has good hands, good run-after-the-catch ability, and good quickness for his size. He presents a lot of problems on deep balls. He's a big target on the end of routes in-cuts and crossing routes. He's strong, can break tackles as a catcher or run player, so he attacks all three levels of the defense and can be productive at all three [receiver spots]."

That was two years ago.

Yeah maybe not trades but loads that play for one and then the other immediately after - Amendola, Bolden, Van Noy, Adam Butler, McCourty, Seau, Rowe that I can think of. Welker and Parker might be the only trades

• Registered Users Posts: 15,226 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I wonder what "the right price" is? He's a FA next year so I don't think he's worth a top 15 pick with the receiver talent available in the draft. Maybe 2 2nds?

I can't see DK being happy to stay and have Lock throwing to him unless Seattle pay him big money this off season.

I'd love to see him in Chicago. He's a Bears fan too (his dad was a Bear for 7 years) and he wanted the Bears to draft him.

Hard to know where he'd go. The Texans must have loads of cap space and with young Davis Mills looking very promising, a receiver like Metcalf could turn their whole offense around.

The Jags could do with an elite receiver too.

Not sure I get this one from a Patriots perspective. He is a good player but consistently injured and I would have thought they'd want someone more explosive than Parker to make the most of Jones' skillset. Parker had his best season with Fitzmagic playing yolo ball which I doubt the Patriots are suddenly going to shift to. I get he has a cheapish contract but it is only due to some poor moves last offseason that they couldn't afford Cooper or even Woods for less draft capital.

It is always a scary proposition trading in division but presume Dolphins are happy with the move. They saved cap space of a guy who was never going to see much of the ball even if he could stay healthy - McDaniel game plan will likely be heavy run focus, at that stage he is their 4th or 5th target option, and he doesn't fit the type of receiver that would get a large target share (more for guys with bigger YAC ability while getting a cheap guy to be possession receiver). Dolphins have really have set themselves up well to make a move for a QB in either trade or draft next year if Tua doesn't work out.

Going rate for a young top tier WR is at least a first - Cooks was traded twice for a 1st plus another pick and Cooper was traded for a 1st.

Agree that a top 15 pick is too rich though. You'd want to play a certain style and QB to make the most of DK - Wilson was a near perfect QB for him. Whether he stays in Seattle or moves he is going to get a very big payday (I'd guess at least $23m APY in new money) so you'd want to know you can make the most of the investment or he'll be a disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

According to a former team employee the Washington Commanders withheld ticket revenue that they are required to give to the NFL who then distribute it to the other 31 teams. He should’ve been made to sell the team after the other crap he allowed to happen, but maybe the other owners will move on him if it’s true that he stiffed them on money.

Advertisement