Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I guess it depends, I feel the 49ers really want to keep him and will resist trading him as much as possible. I'd guess a first and second could be good compensation if they were talking about top 10-15 in each round.

The other team would also need to be paying him $25-30m per year on a new deal.

More likely the 49ers will sit tight until after the draft and hope he comes back to the negotiating table, and the 49ers will hope at least he will play out the last year of his deal if they can't come to an agreement.

I don't see him sitting out an entire year, I also don't see the 49ers paying him what Adams or Hill got.

Once the draft passes the chances of a trade drastically reduce as you would only be trading for 2023 draft picks and they can do that next off season if they like.

The Athletic did a list of possible offers and came up with this(I don't see the 49ers biting on any of these):

Green Bay: - Nos. 22 and 53 in the 2022 draft.

Texans - Nos. 13 and 108 in the 2022 draft for Samuel and No. 134.

Chiefs: - The 30th and 94th picks in the 2022 draft.

Jets - The offer will likely be similar to the one in place for Tyreek Hill — two 2022 second-round picks (Nos. 35 and 38) and a third-rounder (No. 69).

Eagles -  No. 18 and the first of two third-round picks (No. 84) in 2022, and a 2024 third-round pick to round things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm not sure you'd even need that much. Samuel has one year left on his contract.

I'm thinking, and I hate it as a Patriots fan, that the Jets could be the landing spot for him if he's traded. They have the draft capital, the cap room to give him a great contract and then there's the former 49er coaches there.

I think the Jets could get him for their two early second rounders.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just rewatching the first round of the 2017 draft and how crazy is it that Deshaun Watson was selected with the browns first round pick (albeit via trade to the texans) and then a mere 5 years later he's traded to the browns for 3 further first round picks. In total - including the draft trade and the recent trade - that's 5 first round picks that teams have spent to get him. More than the years (4) that's had as active in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Agree that 49ers wouldn't and shouldn't accept any of those deals, especially not those deals from GB & Chiefs (not even getting into them likely being SB competition and would want a premium, not a discount that the above look like).

49ers hold nearly all the leverage here so a trade needs to wow them to move on at this point, when there are months to smooth out the relationship before training camp and 49ers have him for a year on the cheap and can then tag him. The last two 49ers players to hand in trade requests with this front office got deals done afterwards and played multiple years with the team - still think this is the most likely to happen.

If a team wants Deebo they're going to have to make an offer they can't turn down - an Adam or Hill type deal is the floor. If a move happens I'd guess it might be on draft night so both teams know who they're getting/giving up with the first round pick

• Advertisement

Wonder would Carolina work, send Deebo and Jimmy G in exchange for their 6 and something.

9ers get to draft their WR of choice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Tom Brady to become Fox Sports Lead Analyst when he retires, calling games with Kevin Burkhart ($20M per year has been mentioned elsewhere).

Tom Brady to join Fox Sports as lead NFL analyst upon retirement

It's kinda strange, as the people who are currently the number 1 team now know they are placeholders. And there's no guarantee that Brady will be a natural behind the mic. I wonder could it happen as soon as the coming seasons playoffs if Tampa Bay are eliminated early.

I note you say 'when' he retires, so this might not happen for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Fox have the next superbowl too so if the Bucs don't make it playoffs or go far then Brady will surely have heavy involvement in Fox's coverage with that salary. Greg Olsen is strongly tipped as main contender for the placeholder role with Burkhardt, there is a boom in salaries for these guys this offseason so it's a big opportunity for whoever even if it's for a year

I'm hopeful Brady will be great, alot less filter on the mic and the insight into GOAT football brain/experience can only be intriguing. Whether he's natural or charismatic on the mic it's hard to know, not many thought Romo would be a natural but then Brees hasn't taken to it naturally yet on NBC even though it's a bit part role for him so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

Romo is fantastic, he provides so much high level insight while still breaking it down to an accessible level. While being charismatic/entertaining at the same time. I always look forward to watching games on CBS with him, its much better than any other network's coverage team.

If Brady can do the same for the Fox coverage it'll be great. Hes obviously got the football brain, but it'll just depend on him being able to explain things well enough and be entertaining at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Christy42

Chargers social media team is on a different level for the schedule release. Packing in a hoard of references into a quick 2 min video. I guess we will see if they manage to get results on the field as well.

https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1524902549353951232?s=20&t=8gFE8EBaeaF0xhEvQFLItA

• Registered Users Posts: 39,650 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Deshaun Watson lawsuit number is now 24.

The new testamony/reports are particulaly sexually graphic. He may never be prosecuted but the stories are fairly rotten. Not a nice chap

Yeah I saw his lawyer taking on Friday and now it seems he was getting ahead of the 24th case. It was a **** joke when the initial reports came out but the NFL need to put him on the commissioners list now. The fact that he can potentially play this season is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Christy42

Given Watson's contract is designed to take on a suspension of a year (his pay 1st year is tiny) anything less than a year should not be seen as an actual punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭VillaMad

As a Browns fan, I'm still incredibly disappointed that they signed Watson. They said they did their due diligence on him but obviously they didn't with more and more lawsuits adding up. Give $230 million guaranteed and 3 first round picks for this guy? I love the team and guys like Chubb, Garrett, Ward etc, but I can't support Watson. The Haslams have put a lot of Browns fans in an awful position.

What started as a conversation about a 6 game suspension turned to 8 and now is looking likely to be at least a year, I'd say. Nothing in that latest lawsuit is particularly any different from the others, it's just more in the public domain. What started with the line innocent until proven guilty which was used even back in March when he signed for the Browns has quickly turned with even some of the stuff his lawyer was saying on Friday was awful.

On a side note, what is interesting is that Baker Mayfield is still with the Browns while all this is going on. I can't see him playing again for the Browns after what has happened but if Watson is gone for the foreseeable future, you never know.

I can see Watson being booed every time he's on the field. I can't see it working out. They must have thought the 100k with an NDA was going to work for them. When he signed that deal with the Browns the money these people want went up I'd imagine. It'll probably cost him 50+ million to get what he wants now.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭myate

Roger Goddell is a smart guy...and will know Watson's contract. I wouldn't be surprised if he's allowed play this year on his little year 1 money, then the Comish suspends him in year 2 when the big money kicks in! These suits are going to take some time to play out, that could be all the Comish needs to delay a suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Just to clarify this - Jeudy and his girlfriend had an argument. She took his phone and he locked her handbag in the car. She phoned the cops to get her handbag back. Under Colorado law Jeudy’s charge of second-degree criminal tampering is explained as tampering “with property of another with intent to cause injury, inconvenience, or annoyance to that person” (Jeudy withholding the accuser’s items). The domestic violence enhancer indicates that the situation involved a dispute between family members or people in a relationship. Agan, under Colorado law the accused is held for 24 hours (this is to prevent an accused returning to a home in a domestic violence situation). The charges were subsequently dropped.

Now - none of this is negates the fact that Jeudy showed bad judgement - he has shown signs of immaturity since being drafted and this is a very big season for his future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Goddell is interested in nothing more than protecting the NFL brand and the assests of the NFL and its teams. Watson shows all the hallmarks of a predator (more than 100 women hired for a 'massage' in 17 months) and should never be allowed to set foot on a football field again. But - he is an asset for a team - so he likely will. Mike Florio put forward an argument in recent days that the NFL should put Watson on paid leave for this season - i.e. he would get paid his $1million salary. He would be told that he needs to resolve the lawsuits within that time period. Then - the NFL should subsequently suspend him next year when the big money kicks in (next year his base salary is $46million). A two year suspension would be great - it would cost Watson almost $100m - and it would also teach the Browns a lesson for trying to fix his contract so that he would not get a big hit when suspended (but a 2 year hit is unlikely to happen).

The problem for the Browns - and why no team should have traded for Watson - is that a predator will not change, and it would not be a surprise if more claims emerged about Watson in the future.

We don't often agree JRG but this was nothing, just handbags between two people who know each other well. There should be no action under the NFL personal conduct policy over this.

I'm fully with you on this too. He'll be booed by Cleveland fans is my guess, they won't accept him.

To defend the Browns a little bit, I've often seen it said about how the Browns gave Watson $1 million as his base salary for the first year expecting him to get suspended and so Watson would still get that huge guaranteed amount in his contract and that may well be true, but Myles Garrett's base salary is just $1 million next year as is Nick Chubb's, Denzel Ward's and Amari Cooper's. It seems to be franchise policy. The Browns currently have the most cap space in the NFL at the moment by some distance for this reason and that's also with Baker Mayfield still on the roster.

I think the Browns are already regretting the trade and as I said at the time it felt like they did a deal with the devil to try and win a superbowl. Revelations in the past couple of days have taken even his lawyer by surprise so undoubtedly the Browns didn't know either. I am expecting a very long suspension now and I'd say there is a decent chance of him never playing again in the NFL as he won't ever be able to get away from this saga and also who knows what other revelations are to come in the future as this was simply predator behaviour.

Well Deshaun Watson answered questions yesterday and if this is the way he’s going to answer the questions, then his lawyers are going to be nervous wrecks. He’s going to put his foot in it.

Baker Mayfield traded to Carolina from the Browns for a conditional 5th round pick in 2024.

He had a salary of $18 million due this season and the Browns have agreed to pay $10.5 million of that.

Carolina play Cleveland in Week 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Baker taking a pay cut too so only $5m cost to the Panthers.

Probably the best all parties could have hoped for given the circumstances

It's a decent deal for the Panthers in my view. Baker isn't going to win you a Superbowl but he is definitely an NFL starting quarterback. Mad that they now have the top two quarterbacks taken in 2018 draft.

For the Browns, well they have made a mess of this off-season but on this deal alone, it's probably best to move on before training camp begins.

So by paying some of his salary next year, in week 1 Cleveland will be baying Baker to try to beat Cleveland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭cosatron

Zac Wilson is making a name for himself

• Advertisement

Kyler Murray has gotten his contract extension of 5 yrs/ $230 million with $160 million guaranteed which I’m sorry is utter madness.

Advertisement