Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Absolutely crazy. He's not that good, I'd rather trade him and take my chances with a first round pick in next year's draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

"Not that good"? Compared to what? He was MVP for the first half of last season. Granted he's not currently Herbert/Mahomes/Allen but he's better than most QB's. When you draft a QB #1 I reckon most teams would take the level he's at as the outcome.

How about he's on the same level as Carson Wentz? He threw for about 150 yards more than him last year and had 24 passing tds and 10 ints compared to 27 and 7 for Wentz. I'm not being serious there just pointing out a stat. 😁

Seriously though, he's behind Brady, Rodgers, Stafford and Ryan of the older guys and Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert and Prescott of the younger ones.

Mac Jones and Lawrence are likely to.pass him too in my opinion.

He's not worth anything near the money he got. One playoff game in three years where he threw for 137 yards 0 TDs and 2 ints. That's just not good enough.

I still can't believe my Ravens managed to scoop up Hamilton and Linderbaum (my pre-draft best player in the class)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Once Watson reset the market this was inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Christy42

It is a rough one. He is good but there are a decent list of starters that I would take ahead of him. However I do think he is good enough to win with a good enough team and moving on from him now means about 2-3 years rebuilding if they get it right.

I think the devil is in the details with these things, I presume the contract is backloaded and is a bet on the salary cap going up.

The lads you're putting ahead of him there, Brady (drafted '01), Rodgers ('06), Stafford ('10) shows how rare a draft pick QB works out. Arizona got a top 10 QB with a number one overall pick. Would they be able to do it again? A lot have failed in the past 5/10 years.

IMO you draft a QB in the first round hoping he'll be good enough to give a 2nd contract to them in 3/4 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

Murray is far far better than the average #1 drafted NFL QB, very few of them ever actually make it into the top 10 QBs like he has. No team would give him up for a #1 draft pick.

In saying that hes also proving to have huge durability problems, and they'll probably only get worse as he ages. The Cardinals could do worse than pick up a high tier second string QB like Bridgewater or Trubisky to play in their easiest 3-4 games each year, and close out any games they're far ahead in, just to limit the miles on Murray's clock every season.

Are you forgetting Stafford, Luck, Newton and Burrow? Who of them would you put Murray ahead of after three years in the league?

And it's not even about where he was drafted, it's about where he stands in the league and imo all the QB's that I mentioned are ahead of him. Tell me how he's worth that money with so many better than him?

He's very close to Mahomes' money which is ridiculous.

The ones you named are getting old, and yes there are good QB's picked in 1st round, but the reality is that it's a 50/50 shot whether you get a Herbert/Mahomes/Allen/Burrow or Jones/Darnold/Rosen/Love/Haskins.

If I have a top-10 QB, I'm keeping him rather than going back into the lottery.

The money is what it is, we all know the last QB deal is big when it's done, and will be eclipsed again next year. Mahomes took a discount to get 10-year security

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,650 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That clause in Kyler Murray’s contract about him having to do four hours of independent study a week on a team provided table which they can check and he can’t watch TV of play video games while doing it is so revealing and maybe if the cardinals owner asked for that to be put in, then as I said he shouldn’t have given the contact to him. He’s an adult ffs and an NFL QB who’s just got a lot of money in a new contract. He shouldn’t need to have supervised study, he should be motivated enough to do it on his own back. And you know the press will have a field day with it asking him did he do his homework this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

It's definitely not standard wording, that's for sure. And you know the only reason they've used such specific wording is they they know he's being doing exactly that up to now - watching TV and playing video games.

I'm sure it gives them an out if he turns to crap, they can blame him breaking this clause or something to void some commitment.

The Guardian has an article on this that has a very revealing quote from him:

"“I think I was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and just see it before it happens,” Murray told the Times. “I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film. I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because, in my head, I see so much.”"

The sheer ego that shines through from a 24 year old in the NFL saying that. He doesn't need to watch film because hes so good!

Its in direct contrast to Brady and other QBs who're well known for doing massive amounts of film work in their spare time, even after a decade+ playing in the NFL.

'I see so much' from a guy who can hardly see over the line of scrimmage. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Julio Jones signs a 1 year deal to play with the Bucs.

And he'll most likely have one of the best years of his career. He's back with his old teammate too, Russell Gage.

The player I'm expecting really big things from is Breshad Perriman. He had a great season there a few years back. I think after a full camp with Brady we'll see the talent that made him a first round pick for the Ravens back in '15 or '16 I think it was.

Not sure how much value they'll get out of him when they have nobody to throw the ball to him, though.

Jimmy G possibly ? Well they currently have nobody Good to throw him the ball.

Id love to know how Kyler Murray believed the press conference yesterday was going to help things and yes the cardinals removed the Clause about independent study, but again the fact that it was in there and as @el Fenomeno said that there was very specific language in it is the issue. And he went at the media and fans for being “disrespectful” which is so stupid. None of us put it in to the contract ffs.

Cardinals were never in a million years gonna hit the reset button on their successful #1 pick which is why they should have tied things up long ago.

Their major fault was waiting so **** long to get it signed. The QB market took a huge jump with Rodgers/Watson and they had no choice but to pay Murray an inflated contract.

• Advertisement

Bryce Young and CJ Stroud are decent options to throw him the ball. I suspect they are the plan. I can see them and the Falcons avoiding Jimmy G even if/when he does get cut as Jimmy would win enough games to ruin the tank without making them good. Teams don't tank but front offices do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Initial ruling is 6 games for Watson. With a talented roster Bisset could pick up a few wins and keep them in the hunt for play offs if Watson returns at his old form.

God I hope he has forgotten how to throw a football and the Browns go down in flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Watson and the Browns must be breathing a huge sigh of relief, anything less than a full season would have lenient, 6 games jeez

QI know this is asking a lot because the NFL isn’t losing money but maybe just maybe the league itself will grow a pair and appeal this like they have the power to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

A shocking indictment of the NFL - giving someone with all the hallmarks of a serial predator (at least 66 women) what amounts to a minor slap on the wrist. It is basically saying that if you are an NFL player, you engage in sexually abusive/harassing behaviour, and you get caught - the NFL is not that bothered and will only impose a minor penalty to pretend that it actually cares about this stuff.

Its a really logically inconsistent ruling. Either you don't believe the claims, and say its all a witchhunt so Watson doesn't need any punishment. Or you do believe the claims, and he then deserves a substantial punishment.

If they believe the claims how can they justify such a lenient punishment?

It's hard to comprehend such a lenient punishment when Brady got four games for his perceived involvement in deflategate without any real evidence, where Quincy Enunwa got four games for a case of simple assault on his gf, eight games for Mychal Kendricks for insider trading. So insider trading is much worse that 66 sexual assault cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

In the judges defence, there were only 4 cases brought to her attention. The potential existence of 60 other cases would be something she would and indeed should ignore in a dispassionate robotic legal way.

Please don't take that as a defence of Watson, it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not too defend the NFL but this isn't their sentence, it was the judge. The NFL can and probably will appeal.

The judge did say that part of why she went easy is that the nfl have no warning of an intention to clamp down more heavily on these offences. In other words, she is criticizing their long standing tendency to make up punishments as they go along depending on the level of publicity they're dealing with. Why they can't just have a clear code of conduct with sentences laid out is beyond me, but the consequences have been clear for a long time.

Advertisement