Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Hill-Waddle could be next season's Chase-Higgins tandem.

Seem to be going with a running back by committee approach too right out the Shanahan play-book with Edmonds and Mostert added to Gaskin and whoever else.

I had thought bringing in JuJu to go with Hill and Kelce was a good move for Chiefs, but now suddenly, unless a Jarvis Landry or one of them arrives, they don't look quite as fearful in a stacked division.

Cannot remember an off-season like it. I am glued.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Hunt thing was very minor. It doesn't compare in any form to the Watson situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Assaulting a woman = 'very minor'...

If it was any other poster here I'd be surprised but fits your pattern

He pushed her, it's not like he hit her and she was no saint either. It was nothing, the kick was very minor, no viciousness in it at all.

He shouldn't be acting like that but none of them should have been acting the way they were.

And suggesting that I'm some weirdo is insulting.

You seem to insult posters a lot like you feel you are better than everybody else or know more than everybody else but you really are clueless.

I remember our discussion about rookie QB's last year. How's that working out for you? Iirc all the guys you thought were good did nothing and the guy you berated was the best rookie QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

So you're condoning violence against women. Stay classy Eagle Eye

• Advertisement

I'm not condoning it. I'm saying it doesn't compare with the stuff that's going on with Watson.

I don't know how you can read what I wrote and come to the conclusion that I'm condoning violence.

It was like something that you'd see among people that spend a lot of time in prison. All of them, not just Hunt. There was no innocent party in that video. What I said is that there was no serious assault, it was all pretty minor. Like that video wouldn't get anybody jailed.

The Ray Rice one was much worse, horrendous.

And how do you end up in the American football forum? Are you a second account for somebody else who may have forgot to log out and log back in with their other account?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Shocked by the Hill trade but it makes sense given how much he wanted to be paid and the Chiefs’ cap position. We never quite got that dynasty with the three headed monster of Mahomes, Hill and Kelce but it’s been a lot of fun to watch.

We’ll always have Wasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's so hard to keep teams together past rookie contracts with a salary cap. Chiefs best bet is to keep Mahomes on a big contract, then rotate in WR's/RB's who want to come in to compete for a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭boccy23

"Following the trade of Tyreek Hill, the Chiefs now have 12 picks in the 2022 NFL Draft. No team has more.

They own two picks in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th round.

A major opportunity to replenish the roster in a hurry, especially by addressing their need at WR."

And on the cheap with the major contract for Mahomes. Not a bad bit of business.

@eagle eye I ended up on this forum as I'm free to post on this forum if I wish. Anyway back to Hill. He pleaded guilty to Domestic Assault and got a 3 years Probation.

But sure as you said there was no viciousness in it. Nothing to see here

• Advertisement

You regularly attempt to downplay racism and are now downplaying assaulting women and dabbling in victim blaming. Hunt was being restrained by ~4 people and yet fought them off repeatedly so he could attack a woman a fraction of his size. It isn't a 'very minor' incident and it is clear Hunt's intention was to hurt her a lot more than he did.

I also never tried to equate this incident to Watson's - I said Browns had a track record of not having morals when it came to signing players and their fans going along with it and used this as an example. The Chiefs who are the other organization I'd put in the same bucket as them, as they've brought on a list of guys with dodgy pasts and getting rid of Hunt was because he lied to the team more than his actions.

As for QBs last year, I am not sure what you're talking about - I get a lot of things wrong but this topic has worked out pretty closely to how I said it would. Despite everyone in the media screaming differently, I said 49ers wouldn't pick Jones at 3 and they didn't. I didn't 'berate' Jones - I said that he would be good, deserved to be picked in the teens, but doesn't have the upside that some of the other QBs did. How did the season go - he was picked in the teens, he was good, and hasn't shown elite explosive flashes. I'd hoped Lance would get more time but the 49ers made it to the Conference Championship, far further than any other team that drafted a rookie QB, and at the age Lance was last season Jones was holding a clipboard sitting behind Tua so I am far from worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Alanta are going to go into full rebuild mould - they will use this year to clear the big contracts and dead-cap liabilities - then tank and take one of the QBs in the draft next year. Then they will hope to draft a fanchise QB - have him for 5 years on a rookie contract, sign vets in FA to build around him, then sign the QB to a long terms contract, kick the can down the road with voidable years - and hope to get a 10-15 year run of contention before they have to go through the process again.

You are mixing up Hill and Hunt. Hill got what you say he got, Hunt is a totally different case.

Firstly on Hunt. The woman kept forcing her way back to Hunt in an aggressive manner too. It wasn't one-sided. When Hunt got free he pushed her a couple of times. Then he kicked her with no power in it. It was wrong but it wasn't outrageous, you wouldn't get a conviction and jail time in any court based on the video evidence we all saw.

As for the QB stuff, you constantly stated that Jones won't make it because he doesn't run.

As a matter of fact you are completely clueless about the QB position in a team. A QB doesn't need to run to be great. Old man Brady was in the conversation for MVP last season, old man Rodgers who rarely runs these days was MVP for the second straight season.

For the umpteenth time in the last ten years the Superbowl was contested between two teams with pocket passers at QB.

I will move on from your downplaying of violence against a woman and victim blaming and just focus on your other nonsense.

Took a quick check of the draft and 49ers thread from last offseason to make sure I wasn't misremembering my posts and here are a selection - please point out where I said he 'won't make it':

I think Jones will do fantastic within Kyle's system

I wouldn't hate it at 15 

All those positives you mentioned are why I don't hate the pick at 15 (I've said this repeatedly). He is a good college QB but will continue to need his scheme and surrounding cast to carry him 

I think Mac Jones can be successful with the 49ers 

I'm one of the fans that trusts Kyle more often than not and also see Jones as being a very good player 

Jones had a perfect situation in college and made the most of it and he'd do similar in the NFL

TL;DR Jones is a good QB prospect that would have some success as a 49er

You've clearly once again just made a narrative up in your head about my posts. The only time I said he wouldn't make was if he went to a bad situation where he didn't have a good support system - which he didn't so we'll never know how he would have performed.

I said over and over he would be good but had a low chance of being elite and that is exactly what he has shown in college and so far in the NFL - that is light years away from he 'won't make it'.

My issue with him was that he wasn't worth the trade up to #3 (which the Patriots also agreed with by seeing him worthy of trading up for) and that I didn't want him as my team's QB due to his DUI and that blackface Obama picture.

You can continue to live in your alternative reality but those are the facts.

BTW, you should try to avoid acting like some sort of holier than thou QB scouting guru when you have a long track record of terrible arrogant posts about QBs like the gem below:

Anybody that would take Kyler Murray over Dwayne Haskins or Drew Lock shouldn't have a job.

We I don't spend any time reading the 49ers thread. I an talking about other threads. Maybe you have a spilt personality in different threads?

Sounds like all those posts were made when you thought Jones was going to be a 49er.

As for Hunt, I love the way you continue to accuse me of stuff but run away when I put you in a corner. You can't sit that they were all acting disgracefully.

Also love the way you pick out one QB that I was wrong about though imo not that much wrong because I still don't rate Murray. I do believe that if Haskins has his head screwed on now, we didn't know about his immaturity at the time I posted that, that he will become a really good QB.

I notice you didn't mention where I said Derek Carr was the best QB in his draft class or that Winston and Mariota weren't first round picks or that Sam Bradford wasn't worth it due to his injury history or how much I liked Russell Wilson or that Andrew Luck was the best QB to come out of college for years. How about where I said that Geno Smith was an awful pick or when I said that Matt Ryan would have a great career.

You missed out on my thoughts on Jonny Manziel and Mark Sanchez both of who I rated highly, surprised you missed those.

I never claimed to be a guru by the way, I just said you were absolutely clueless about the position.

• Tyler Linderbaum will be the best NFL player in this draft class.

The Chiefs were "lucky" with Hill's past indiscretions, it meant they got his post-rookie contract relatively cheap as well. They won't get a like-for-like replacement but hopefully Hardman can step up a bit more and they've also picked up Marquez Valdes-Scantling today which isn't too bad.

I actually hope they use the draft to improve the defense, they picked up two starters in last year's edition (Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith). Throw in Willie Gay and Nick Bolton, who I love, and there's good foundations. The secondary needs a lot of work though.

Wouldn't be surprised if they trade up too.

Interesting pick, it's unlikely a center gets the plaudits.

For me Kyle Hamilton is the best player in the class. I see him as a future All-pro.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I created a new thread for NFL draft discussion.

• Advertisement

Some of those posts of mine that I quoted were actually directly to you in the 2021 draft thread after Jones was drafted by the Patriots. You either just ignored them and twisted up your own narrative in your head regarding my posts, as you regularly do, or have gotten mixed up about our QB discussions and are thinking of when I disagreed with you when you claimed that 'there isn't much between' Trask and Herbert (another one of your poor assessments of QBs). Even then I didn't say Trask wouldn't make it, just that your attempt to put them in the same bracket was wrong.

In all threads I have been absolutely consistent with my perspective on Jones, that he'd be a good player but would struggle to hit that elite tier of QBs to be worth taking at the start of the draft, and so far he has been exactly the player I believed he would be, right down to no team selecting him until the mid-teens. I've provided the receipts for my opinion pre and post draft yet you continue to cling to some delusion in some petty, failed attempt at point scoring, which is made even more pathetic as you've clearly been sitting and waiting to bring this made up this Jones 'win' and decided to shoehorn it into a completely different topic, one where you were minimizing an assault on a women.

I am very confident no one is interested in us having a back and forth so I'll end it there. I clearly made a mistake taking you back off my ignore list so you're going back on and can shout into the void about whatever delusions you have about my posting history.

I'll he very happy that you are no longer reading my posts.

Clearly when somebody tells you something that you don't like you get in a huff but it's okay for you to insult and belittle people regularly and act as if your opinion is above everybody else's.

Anyways you have no clue about the QB position and I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

We need a Foxtrol/Eagle Eye thread

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Didn’t watch it but apparently from people who watched it today the Deshaun Watson press conference in Cleveland earlier today was a **** train wreck in PR terms.

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

Well apparently he won't be reading my posts anymore, I'm delighted about that, so we won't be at it anymore. 🙂

The Chiefs pick up Ronald Jones to add to their RB stocks with CEH and Gore. Hill aside, they're making some nice moves in free agency and are getting younger in a few positions. Then we have the draft to come with 12 picks.

Does everyone here know that Eagle Eye is happy that Foxtrol won't read his posts?

Everyone?

Great, he can move on so...

It'll be interesting how they do with all those picks - likely hoping to take one step back to two steps forward.

The reason they have so many holes they need to fill is because they haven't used their picks wisely (aside from some obvious massive hits) and they're now trading away a winning lottery ticket for other lottery tickets that may or may not win.

I think its fair to say that Eagle Eye likes to have the last word

• Advertisement

Why don't you tell us what your old name on boards was? I doubt you only joined boards for the first time in March.

Is it a case that you are using two accounts side by side?

Advertisement