Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

If they can agree to a deal with him green bay should absoloutly give one of their firsts for him. He'd fit perfectly with rodgers

• Registered Users Posts: 39,650 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭cosatron

The saints must really like a qb. I think they got fleeced

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I agree, Eagles snapped their hand off accepting that trade I'd say. I wonder if the Saints are planning another trade to move up again, packaging those 2 firsts I guess. Eagles nicely placed with 2 firsts next year if Hurts doesn't convince.

Happy with that as an eagles fan. I'm not sold on Hurts at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Great trade from an Eagles perspective - consensus that this is a weak enough draft and with 3 1sts it was obvious they'd be very interested in getting one next year and yet still got a lot from the Saints.

Can't see what the Saints are doing at this stage - if they want a certain QB they'll likely need to move up further so why not make the bigger jump up at this stage, either directly with one of the earlier teams or in a three way trades. Don't think an unknown extra mid-round pick is worth what they paid in this draft, especially with the risk of their 2023 pick being pretty early (new HC, depleted roster, a post serious injury Jameis or a rookie QB leading).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

McDaniels is the head coach of the Raiders.

There has only been one player traded to New England from Miami during the Belichick era, that was Wes Welker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Saints were at 19 and Chargers at 18. Now Saints are at 17. From reading some reports this morning, both of those teams need a new Offensive Tackle, so it might just be a case of getting ahead of the Chargers.

That might be it but to me it still makes no sense.

On draft night if a guy you want falls and you want to jump ahead of a team that has the same need then it could be a move to make, though I’m not a fan of paying a lot to move up for a non-QB. However, in this situation they have no idea if that guy they like will fall that far and even then the Chargers can still trade up ahead of them.

i say they are going to trade the picks and move up for a QB, its the only logical explanation

• Advertisement

@Foxtrol and @eagle eye put your reputations on the line...

Who will be the best QB in the 2022 draft?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

But they didn't just move up, they now have two first rounders. If they wanted to jump ahead of the Chargers they could have just moved up without the need to add an extra first rounder. To me, it makes no sense unless it's the first in a series of moves to get into the early picks and take a QB.

I'm not sold on anybody in this class. I think Kenny Pickett is the best on the board. He's a football player and last season he was phenomenal. He could be great but I'm not confident enough to go all in on him.

I like Carson Strong too although there are question marks over his knee which gave him trouble in high school and again in college. He might have the best arm in the class.

I'm not at all a fan of Malik Willis who appears to be top of most QB draft boards. I'd liken him to Jalen Hurts.

Desmond Ridder isn't somebody I'd want. I can see him throwing a lot of picks

Matt Corral looked good in college but I don't think his skills transfer successfully to the NFL.

I like Sam Howell a lot to be honest. Seems to have gone very under the radar recently

I can see lots of strip fumbles and sacks if he makes into onto an NFL field. He pulls the ball back behind himself before he throws, that's a huge problem in the pros, and he gets sacked a lot by not getting rid of the ball when things break down.

Another thing is how long he stares at his target which gives the safety time to get there and potentially intercept.

Post edited by eagle eye on

I think k the staredown was more this year than last because he had **** all to work with in that offence. Bar maby pickets and corral every qb in this draft needs to work on mechanics

I swore off getting involved in those discussions with that poster for the good of everyone.

None of the QBs are worth a first round pick this year - all are so flawed that it is a complete crapshoot on who will be successful. If you have to take one you go for the guy with the most upside - which is Willis.

If you have to spend $100 on a lottery ticket you want the prize to potentially be $1,000,000, not a potential win of $90 like most of the other QBs in this draft. In this case I'd just save the $100 and not pick one this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

After the deluge of 5 QBs taken in the top 15 in 2021 some mock drafts have not even one QB going in this year's 1st round

Some team/s will inevitably lose their heads on draft day at take a questionable QB way too high in the 1st like Giants taking Jones at 6 in 2019, Packers taking Love at 26 in 2020. Will it be Panthers/Seahawks/Falcons this year? Surely Lions won't take a QB at 2 but they have to be surefire to use the 32 pick on a QB for the 5 year rookie deal or trade up a few spots from there if there is a run on QBs in the 1st

I'm in shock. RIP Dwayne Haskins. 25 years old. Hit by a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah, that’s terribly tragic. He had his problems after being talked up coming out of college but he was going to get another crack at it in Pittsburgh this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Awful news, condolences to his family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Schefter has really shown himself up to a slimy prick (again) in his reporting of the above news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

That’s the insider fella? What makes him an insider exactly? Tactless in a lot of situations for sure, not unusual for a journalist, a lot of lowlifes in that industry, most of them paint themselves as some crusaders for truth

This is twice at least he not engaged his **** Brain before reporting something. He’s imo rightly getting ripped for it on twitter and most other NFL players and reporters are doing the basic but respectful tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Not as badly as Gil Brandt who made some utterly bizarre and insensitive comments about Dwayne Haskins in the aftermath. This is actually unbelievable how anybody could come out with this immediately after his death, or ever

Deebo Samuel has told Jeff Darlington that he’s requested a trade from the 49ers.

Felt this was eventually going to come given how the 49ers have approached signing their home developed players - both Kittle & Warner went right up to camp after some very angry exchanges - but this issue with Deebo seems sounds like he isn't happy with the 'Wide Back' role he played this year, probably worried about long term health, and/or came in expecting to be the highest paid WR (even post Hill & Adams). I am all about players getting paid but not a huge fan of how he has gone about it, especially compared to Metcalf who wants a contract and lost his star QB but has been quiet enough and still showed up to voluntary camp.

I'd hesitate to make Deebo the highest paid WR due to his comparably small sample size and injury history but would have been fine if the team did it, with the cap exploding and hopefully having Jimmy off the books before the season starts (49ers would have the 2nd most cap space in the league if he was cut/traded right now).

If both sides can't sort this out I'd expect a similar or better return than Adams/Hill trades. Though the concerns above are still valid, Deebo is considerably younger than those other two players so has much more long term value and in addition the 49ers have much more leverage - Deebo only due less than $5m this coming year so not a burden if he holds out/in.

He is one of the best weapons in the league so obviously a step down for the 49ers though my point regarding the impact of the loss of Hill to the Chiefs isn't quite the same for the 49ers as the change in QB style with Lance coming in will likely mean that the team will be shifting approach away from what made Deebo such a star last season so the team is likely selling at his highest point.

I'd break the bank to get Deebo, he's just ridiculous.

• Advertisement

what would it take to get Deebo, would a first and second round pick get him?

Advertisement