Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helen McEntee & Those Donations - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I was wondering why the indo are suddenly gunning for her.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭TheDavester

the online thing is to stop people criticizing politicians, they dont give a **** about a child

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Expecting the law to be upheld is now an “extreme view”?? Fcuk me, the world is done.

Why not have a democratic vote on the amnesty? It would apparently win by a landslide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

Because that's not how a parliamentary democracy works.

we don't need to go to the ballot box for every bit of legislation.

also there is a process (a very flawed one at that ) for dealing with these cases and this can't be trumped by the 'just arrest and ship them home' brigade

thankfully the majority of the people in Ireland don't think like yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

She lacks experience, she was out of her depth in Europe & is out of her depth in this ministry now. Michael McDowell (Senior Barrister), Alan Dukes (Economist), Sean Lemass (Taoiseach), Shatter (Solicitor), Haughey (Taoiseach) all occupied this position previously. She's an embarrassment to the position with her masters in communication & media studies. Ive met more than a few clowns with masters in qualifications like this. Couldnt tell their arse from their elbow many of them.

A modern Masters in Communications & Media Studies is literally not worth the paper its printed on.

The Irish third level system is quite frankly a joke now, the dumbing down of courses over the last 2 decades has seriously undermined the value of Degrees, Masters and even Phd's.

Its almost impossible to fail a college course nowadays and high grades are handed out like candy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Communications lends itself to a lot of industries. At least she didn't drop out of in first year like Harris.

I would have thought studying media you either want to analyze it, create it or be some ones 'special advisor'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

We did have a vote on anchor babies and voted for them not to be granted citizenship. People seem to forget these things cost money.

that was because it was a constitutional matter.

They did think like me when the anchor baby loophole was to be closed. It didn't go to the polls because the woke goons in government know it would be voted down by an absolute landslide.

using the term 'anchor baby' and 'woke' in the one statement means I have no interest in entering any debate or dialogue with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

That's why only 8% of the population has a Masters and circa only 50% of the population have a degree. But according to you they are handed out like candy. It's interesting the length's people will go to instead of giving some praise to a person for getting a Masters.

The comments about "handed out like candy" doesn't seem to be correct based on the below.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/is-our-obsession-with-college-degrees-setting-up-too-many-students-to-fail-1.4522238

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I live in her constituency and a Healy Rae she is not. In a way I don’t mind this as I’m not a fan of parish-pump politics. I keep hearing about her role in the Brexit discussions as a way of defending her but what did she actually do in those negotiations? Nothing tangible from what I can see.

I can’t point to a single thing she’s done that wasn’t playing to the woke gallery, but her lowlight for me was her tweets around the George Nchenko incident where she basically (as Minister for Justice) undermined the Gardai to send some right-on BLM-themed tweets at the time of his killing.

She always sounds flustered when interviewed and her lack of forthrightness when answering questions on this matter is not a good look.

She’s been promoted far beyond any obvious intellect or ability, and I think she’s horrifically under-qualified for such a senior ministry, but the thought of her climbing higher up the ladder is even more frightening.

These tweets: https://twitter.com/hmcentee/status/1344584936267919360

What exactly is the issue with them? seem fairly standard to me. Unless you are getting her mixed up with some of the local TD's/coucillors etc who decided to gaslight the situation at every chance to try win some votes....PBP comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Can I suggest you do a quick Google search , fascinating what comes up in relation to this , now Senator, Character reference she gave is a good place to start with 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Do you think it’s appropriate for the Minister for Justice (in particular) to send out tweets like this in relation to a very serious matter for the Gardai within a few hours of the incident?

Do you think her tweets helped to de-escalate the tension around the incident at the time or help to fan the flames so to speak?

She should have held her counsel and said/tweeted nothing - to any of the parties involved, incl. the Gardai. But she couldn’t miss an opportunity for some self-promotion and injecting herself into the story.

Yes it was appropriate. The tweet confirmed they would have an independent review and shared sympathy with the family. They did de-escalate the situation, if you want to see "fan the flames" then I suggest you look at some of the other TD's in the area. Ruth Coppinger is an excellent example of what shouldn't be tweeted

As I said yesterday, the best saying to describe what is going on here: "If the woman floats, then she is a witch and burn her"

Oh yeah I forgot females are above criticism. Apologies.

By your logic, is your criticism of Coppinger not also sexist and misogynistic?

• Advertisement

Not at all. I didn’t criticize McEntee once for being female. I criticized her performance and behaviours. I honestly couldn’t care less if she was female, male, trans, or other. I’d say the same things is “she” were a “he”.

Yet you and several others on this thread attempt to deflect any and all criticism of her based it seems solely on the basis of her sex. That’s incredibly lazy and simplistic.

The criticism you gave was about a tweet. Which as I pointed out was perfectly fine and gave you an example of a person who was tweeting at the same time trying to firelight the situation in search of votes.

So far I have provided multiple pieces of proof of the lady experience and education yet you accuse me of "incredibly lazy and simplistic". I have yet to see anything on this thread to say she is inexperienced, in fact the opposite with European politicians complimenting her, but I suppose we should ignore all of this?

Instead of admitting the lady is educated we have multiple people now trying to belittle anyone who get a Masters, even when again I have provided information on how difficult they are to get.

If provide details and facts are "lazy and simplistic", I am interested to hear what you call the information you and other have provided thus far with nothign to back it up?

So with Coppinger it's a case of if she floats, she's a witch??

I am sure if you started up a thread to slag everything about the women then yes the statement would be correct. I made reference to one tweet, huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You see this is the problem with modern online debates.

You immediately make assumptions.

For your information I have a a degree and masters in Engineering, not some mickie mouse communications course in a private for profit college.

Oh and at the time my degree level courses was one of the hardest courses to gain entry into in the country.

And I fully subscribe to the previous posters opinion who lamented the fact our third level qualifications as a whole have been dumbed down in order to ensure we have high number of third level graduates.

The slide started back in the 90s

Oh and I would be in now way qualified to be a minister for justice because I simply do not have the academic background nor the relevant training.

Oh and before you think I look down my nose at people with qualifications from certain colleges or no academic qualifications at all, I don't because some of the smartest ableist people I have ever come across often have little to no academic qualifications.

But what they do have is intelligence, knowledge and ability.

Things that the aofrementioned minister doesn't appear to have an abundance of.

Post edited by jmayo on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Has McEntee actually done anything? I can't even think of many times I have heard her give responses or opinions on things on tv. Or maybe I have just forgotten as she's just the most boring, monotonous, uncharismatic minister.

Edit

Off topic so will leave it

Congrats on the Masters

Post edited by brokenangel on

Did I say anything about her education? No.

But as you asked, her Masters is on the lower end of the masters academic hierarchy and while from a 3rd Level Institute is not from a university. Also a Masters in her field is not in any way relevant to her role as Minister for Justice. A Masters in today’s highly competitive workplace is not something that sets one apart from the competition - in many careers it is seen as a “minimum every requirement”, but more on this later.

She is in my opinion completely unqualified for the role she holds. Equally, she has not displayed - at least to me - any above average intellect when I have seen her on television or heard her on radio.

At the risk of stating the complete obvious could she not have perhaps sought a role in the Dept. Of Communicatons, and left a portfolio such as Justice for someone with - heaven forbid - a legal qualification?

I did not (as you know) say your provision of facts and details were lazy and simplistic. I was referring to your over-arching argument that any and all criticism of her was based on or was inherently rooted in sexism.

I also happen to personally know the McEntee family, and I have worked with her uncle whom I actually like. My criticism of his niece is not based on any hatred of or personal grudge against the family, nor is it based on her sex.

Speaking of Masters - and I assure you this is not intended as some sort of humblebrag, merely to provide context - but I hold 2 of them, and an additional 5 Post Graduate qualifications in addition to my primary degree. I also hold a part-time academic post in one of the universities in Dublin. Would I be qualified to be Minister for Justice based on this?

• Advertisement

ministers don't need to be qualified in the area of the ministry .... this is a common misconception ... and something that is trotted out all the time. They are head of a department charged with implementing government policy. There are plenty of qualified people in the departments to provide the expertise.

As we have seen doctors haven't been great ministers for health.

I spent 20 years working in IT and the board of the company was made up of accountants, sales people and a single technical person. The techies did the work - the people who could run a company did the running of the company.

Advertisement